PDA

View Full Version : People that drive cars should be licensed and insured so they don't kill.

phill4paul
10-24-2015, 10:22 PM
I can't believe that the government doesn't require a back ground check, licensing and mandatory insurance for automobile owners.

A car crashed into the Oklahoma State homecoming parade Saturday "at a high rate of speed," killing four people and injuring nearly three dozen others.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/reports--multiple-dead-after-car-crashes-into-oklahoma-state-homecoming-parade-171545917.html

TheTexan
10-24-2015, 10:31 PM
I can't believe that the government doesn't require a back ground check, licensing and mandatory insurance for automobile owners.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/reports--multiple-dead-after-car-crashes-into-oklahoma-state-homecoming-parade-171545917.html

That's actually a really good idea. Writing my representatives now!

Anti Federalist
10-24-2015, 10:50 PM
The self driving cars of the near future will prevent all this, comrade.

phill4paul
10-24-2015, 10:58 PM
The self driving cars of the near future will prevent all this, comrade.

Comrade, I beg to differ. The state, the corporations, are without fault. The fault will only fall on the individual. For only individuals can have fault.

oyarde
10-24-2015, 11:00 PM
Guess you guys have guilt tripped me into making my ins payment next month.

Danke
10-24-2015, 11:08 PM
He was DUI. So a simple solution is to have a device that you blow into to start your car.

Anti Federalist
10-24-2015, 11:12 PM
He was DUI. So a simple solution is to have a device that you blow into to start your car.

SHE comrade.

The driver was a she.

Danke
10-24-2015, 11:19 PM
SHE comrade.

The driver was a she.

That makes a difference? Well, I guess it kinda does. Women shouldn't be allowed to drive.

specsaregood
10-24-2015, 11:23 PM

That makes a difference? Well, I guess it kinda does. Women shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Even if they blow the car first?

phill4paul
10-24-2015, 11:31 PM

Or slope-heads. They should stick to math. And buses.

Anti Federalist
10-24-2015, 11:36 PM

Maybe if they make the car a sammich, first.

r3volution 3.0
10-24-2015, 11:50 PM
Maybe if they make the car a sammich, first.

...and the laundry.

The car works hard all day, it needs some clean clothes.

idiom
10-24-2015, 11:55 PM
The bit I love is that this is only news worthy because it involves a college football team.

dannno
10-25-2015, 04:00 AM
DUI at 10am? Still drunk from the night before?

jmdrake
10-25-2015, 04:09 AM

Ummmm....it kinda already does. :confused:

Suzanimal
10-25-2015, 04:18 AM

:D

I'm a horrible driver. I don't know if I ever admitted this on the forum but I ran over my neighbor's mailbox twice in a month. I'm not bad going forward but I suck in reverse. The problem with his mailbox is that the road kind of curves so it sticks out a little and when I'm backing down the cul de sac it's kind of in the way. I would probably hit it more often but I only back down the cul de sac when I'm picking up my elderly neighbors to take them somewhere.

The neighbor who's mailbox I have it out for is a good sport about it (I don't know how many times I've run over it but I usually don't do it twice in a few weeks) and it's been a learning experience for my sons. They're pretty good at installing mailboxes. I've knocked ours out a few times, too. A few weeks ago I had a bon fire and my neighbor fell out laughing when I had the boys drag all the broken mailbox posts out of the shed to burn them.

Mr Animal won't let me drive him and I doubt he would for a bj and a sammich. He's getting a bit cranky about my driving in his old age.

jmdrake
10-25-2015, 04:23 AM

You mean for everybody and not just people convicted of DUIs right? Cause for DUI convicts they kinda already do ^that too.

Folks you realize this whole thread actually makes a great argument for gun control? The government already requires you to get a license and when you get it they do a background check (unless you are an illegal alien). The background check isn't to see if you are a felon (felons can own cars, not guns), but to make sure your license isn't already suspended in another state. And of course liability insurance is already a requirement. Okay personal story here. Due to my current financial situation I let my insurance lapse. I got pulled over for speeding and got a ticket for no insurance. I got the insurance, showed it to the judge, paid the fine and that was that. But then the Tennessee Department of Homeland inSecurity (yes we have one) got involved. They demanded I show proof of insurance at the time of the ticket or they would suspend my license. Yes. You got that right. My getting insurance after the fact cured the problem at the local level, but the state/federal monstrosity was and is double dipping. So I had to get a new license. To get a new license I had to show a birth certificate (had to be original) or passport to prove I was a citizen even though my old (now invalid) license should have been enough to prove I had already been through this process.

So boobus Americanus would see this thread and say "Hey. Since we have to have licenses, a background check and mandatory insurance for cars, why not for guns?" And since Americans by in large accept mandatory sobriety checkpoints for guns, since you can't drink and drive, why not a law where you can't carry and drive? Police can stop you on the street to see if you're tipsy and first check for guns, check for your carry permit and take a blood sample to see if you are over the legal limit. Folks you do NOT want boobus Americanus to look at this analogy and take it to it's illogical conclusion.

Working Poor
10-25-2015, 04:31 AM
Wait a minute how is a license and insurance going to keep someone from having an accident?

Suzanimal
10-25-2015, 04:32 AM
Wait a minute how is a license and insurance going to keep someone from having an accident?

I dunno. Never stopped me.

jmdrake
10-25-2015, 05:39 AM

Okay. Maybe that's the point of this otherwise pointless thread. Mandatory car licenses and insurance don't prevent car deaths so why think they would prevent gun deaths?

tod evans
10-25-2015, 05:55 AM
Okay. Maybe that's the point of this otherwise pointless thread. Mandatory car licenses and insurance don't prevent car deaths so why think they would prevent gun deaths?

More government oversight will keep you safe comrade...

And don't forget about the children!

jmdrake
10-25-2015, 06:00 AM
More government oversight will keep you safe comrade...

And don't forget about the children!

Children sometimes kill other children. Someday we'll be required to have a license and liability insurance to have them.

phill4paul
10-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Children sometimes kill other children. Someday we'll be required to have a license and liability insurance to have them.

Double plus good!

Brian4Liberty
10-25-2015, 01:49 PM

Not good enough. People get in terrible, tragic accidents without any alcohol at all. The only reasonable solution is to ban automobiles for civilians. We can trust the Police and military to drive, but no one else should be allowed to operate a motor vehicle. Think about the children! This is totally preventable. They have banned vehicles in other first-world countries, and it's insane for the US not to follow their lead.

Dr.3D
10-25-2015, 01:58 PM

Kinda reminds me of the autopilot scene from Airplane.

angelatc
10-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Did someone need a sandwich?

idiom
10-25-2015, 02:31 PM

Liability insurance is for after you have an accident. The license is just to make sure you have a minimum ability to not need the liability insurance.

If the government only required liability insurance people would voluntarily get licenses.

Brian4Liberty
10-26-2015, 03:15 PM
DUI at 10am? Still drunk from the night before?

Latest is that it was not alcohol. Bet you that they won't be reporting which pharma drugs she was on (or recently off).

She was mentally ill, and used the vehicle as a weapon. Too bad she didn't have a gun. I'd wager she wouldn't have been able to kill as many people with a gun.

devil21
10-26-2015, 04:50 PM
What about humans traveling in automobiles?

Words matter ;)

phill4paul
10-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Latest is that it was not alcohol. Bet you that they won't be reporting which pharma drugs she was on (or recently off).

She was mentally ill, and used the vehicle as a weapon. Too bad she didn't have a gun. I'd wager she wouldn't have been able to kill as many people with a gun.

Yeah, judge ordered a blood work up for illegal substances and a psych-eval. Not a mention of the pharma drugs she may have been on.