PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's Roots

JWallace
12-06-2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20071224/hayes

JosephTheLibertarian
12-06-2007, 01:35 PM
yeah, I'm a "low tax liberal" :p I prefer CATO's version of libertarianism, but I still think Ron Paul is the best candidate in the field, that's why I support him.

malibu
12-06-2007, 01:36 PM
"But, you know, maybe Ron Paul can unite us all."

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e68fd0798e.jpg

nullvalu
12-06-2007, 01:37 PM
WTF what is wrong with CATO?

How does their philosophy differ from Ron Paul's so greatly? Would they rather get someone like Giuliani in office??

JosephTheLibertarian
12-06-2007, 01:39 PM
WTF what is wrong with CATO?

How does their philosophy differ from Ron Paul's so greatly? Would they rather get someone like Giuliani in office??

I know. And are they not anti-war? What are they? Pro-war libertarians? Ron Paul is the closest thing they've got, they better take it.

nullvalu
12-06-2007, 01:43 PM
I think they prefer an open-borders policy.

That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that they'd disagree on. And maybe abortion.

But Dr. Paul has talked about his vision regarding the borders. He wants to have strong borders, but thinks that over time with his policies the ill-effects of illegal immegration would be lessened. If that's not a "sustainable move in the libertarian direction", then what the hell is?

JosephTheLibertarian
12-06-2007, 01:47 PM
I think they prefer an open-borders policy.

That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that they'd disagree on. And maybe abortion.

But Dr. Paul has talked about his vision regarding the borders. He wants to have strong borders, but thinks that over time with his policies the ill-effects of illegal immegration would be lessened. If that's not a "sustainable move in the libertarian direction", then what the hell is?

open border policy? why not at least let states take control? the welfare system subsidizes unhealthy immigration. Aren't they anti-war?

nullvalu
12-06-2007, 01:54 PM
open border policy? why not at least let states take control? the welfare system subsidizes unhealthy immigration. Aren't they anti-war?

Wow.. well I read the rest of the article and had no idea there was that much animosity between the Mises & CATO camps. That's really a shame.

When I've been reading through publications on the CATO site, I've found much I disagree with. They seem to be extremely left-leaning libertarians.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Well, surely CATO doesn't support welfare lol what do you disagree with?

nullvalu
12-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Well, surely CATO doesn't support welfare lol what do you disagree with?

Wow, I've read quite a bit from them. I don't like their stance on immigration, and while I like some of their health care ideas, I also disliked some of the ways they played with statistics. I guess I'd have to go back and find the exact articles.. But I do agree with more of their stuff than I disagree with if that makes sense. ;)

I wish the two "arms" of libertarianism could get along. Since we could consider Ron Paul a "Mises" candidate, has there ever been a serious "CATO" candidate of any kind?

JosephTheLibertarian
12-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Wow, I've read quite a bit from them. I don't like their stance on immigration, and while I like some of their health care ideas, I also disliked some of the ways they played with statistics. I guess I'd have to go back and find the exact articles.. But I do agree with more of their stuff than I disagree with if that makes sense. ;)

Yeah. I don't understand their solution to immigration? Open borders? But is millions and millions and millions flowing through the gates really....healthy? That's why I think it should be left to states, not the federal government. I do lean towards open borders, but we must understand that we're SUBSIDIZING unhealthy immigration. This is not the same type of immigration that the US has in the 19th century, there was no welfare state back then and our economy needed it.

FreeTraveler
12-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Cato is part of the "big government, pretend libertarians" as Justin explains in this paragraph:

The division between paleolibertarians, centered around the Mises Institute, and cosmopolitan libertarians, centered around Cato, is also a case of "culture clash," according to Justin Raimondo, editorial director of Antiwar.com and prominent member of the Mises set. "There's the populist wing of the libertarian movement, and then there's the Washington crowd that's still trying to sell libertarianism, or their version of it, to elites. These people want to go along and get along. As long as they can abort their babies and sodomize each other and take as many drugs as they want to, they are happy. They don't care who is being killed in Iraq and how many Iraqis are dying. That's their hierarchy of values."

nullvalu
12-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Cato is part of the "big government, pretend libertarians" as Justin explains in this paragraph:

I know, that was my favorite part of the article. Major props to Justin Raimondo.. I had heard before that he was a libertarian, but didn't know he was a "prominent member of the Mises set".. Very cool.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Well, big government is anti-libertarian. That's against the whole damn philosophy lol