PDA

View Full Version : Jeb Bush Orders Across-the-Board Pay Cuts for Struggling Campaign

William Tell
10-23-2015, 10:04 AM
Jeb Bush Orders Across-the-Board Pay Cuts for Struggling Campaign

http://assets.bwbx.io/images/i5j2WuCwOBBI/v1/1200x-1.jpg

Bush's advisers, under pressure from their donors and from falling and stagnant poll numbers, came to the conclusion that a course correction was essential.

Jeb Bush, once a front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, is implementing an across-the-board pay cut for his struggling campaign as he attempts to regain traction just 100 days before the party’s first nominating contest.

The campaign is removing some senior staff from the payroll, parting ways with some consultants, and downsizing its Miami headquarters to save more than $1 million per month and cut payroll by 40 percent this week, according to Bush campaign officials who requested anonymity to speak about internal changes. Senior leadership positions remain unchanged.

The campaign is also cutting back 45 percent of its budget, except for dollars earmarked for TV advertising and spending for voter contacts, such as phone calls and mailers. Some senior-level staff and consultants will continue to work with the campaign on a volunteer basis, while other junior-level consultants, primarily in finance but including other areas, will be let go, the officials said. The officials declined to say who would be removed from the payroll or provide an exact dollar figure for the savings. (A summary of the changes, provided to Bloomberg Politics by the campaign, is posted here.)

Bush's advisers, under pressure from their donors and from falling and stagnant poll numbers, have been discussing ways to retool the campaign in recent days, and came to the conclusion that a course correction was essential. While recent tangles with Donald Trump have energized the campaign, Bush's senior team recognized a more fundamental set of changes was required that didn't involve dealing directly with the party's surprising—and surprisingly durable—front-runner.

Analysts and rival campaigns will view the changes as a desperate act, perhaps the last one, of a man whose campaign has dropped in the polls in recent months and has remained mired in the middle of a crowded field despite a month-long blitz of friendly television ads. None of the changes deal directly with what even many of Bush's supporters say is his main challenge: The burden of trying to convince voters hungry for change to choose a man whose father and brother both served as president.

Officials said the changes—the second time the campaign has cuts its payroll this year—will enable them to shift more resources into New Hampshire, where the campaign has the largest operation in the state, and other states where early voters begin casting ballots in February. There will be more volunteers and surrogates for Bush, which the campaign refers to as “friends of Jeb,” on the ground to help in a state that his brother lost in 2000 and his father won in 1988.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-10-23/jeb-bush-orders-across-the-board-pay-cuts-for-struggling-campaign

MrGoose
10-23-2015, 10:26 AM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/amcvholkwbcguuxpflo9.gif

specsaregood
10-23-2015, 10:48 AM
/me waits for media to start asking Jeb why he hasn't dropped out of the race already.

10-23-2015, 10:57 AM
Meh, I still think the 3rd shrub is going to win. Trump and Carson are just silly season nonsense, they will be out once the media stops giving them a pass.

AngryCanadian
10-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Meh, I still think the 3rd shrub is going to win. Trump and Carson are just silly season nonsense, they will be out once the media stops giving them a pass.

They are preventing Rand from being noticed next they will probably bring Graham.

luctor-et-emergo
10-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Turns out Jeb is fiscally conservative after all... /s

r3volution 3.0
10-23-2015, 11:59 AM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XZJvyemxhq0/0.jpg

All that PAC money from the banks and the MIC (which he can't use for his official campaign), yet hardly enough small donations to keep the lights on.

Liberty74
10-23-2015, 12:41 PM
The anyone but Bush seems to be holding true.

hells_unicorn
10-23-2015, 12:44 PM
The anyone but Bush seems to be holding true.

My mother was a big fan of George W. Bush back in the day, but even she is admitting that it's far too soon and Jeb should have held off for a while. America still likes to live under the illusion that we are all equal, so when too many people with blood relations get to be king, it turns them off.

PaleoPaul
10-23-2015, 01:31 PM
My mother was a big fan of George W. Bush back in the day, but even she is admitting that it's far too soon and Jeb should have held off for a while. America still likes to live under the illusion that we are all equal, so when too many people with blood relations get to be king, it turns them off.
Jeb is 62 years old right now. He'd be 66 in 2019 when the 2020 campaign begins. This election cycle is the very last one in which we'll see the possibility of a Baby Boomer win the White House. 2020 will be the election of Generation X.

(Yes, I recognize that Rand is Gen X, but I'm talking about on both sides of the aisle. Reps and Dems will be nothing but Gen X, and the nominee of each party in 2020 will be Gen X).

YesI'mALiberal
10-23-2015, 01:58 PM
/me waits for media to start asking Jeb why he hasn't dropped out of the race already.

Megyn Kelly to Jeb Bush: Will you drop out? (http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/jeb-bush-not-dropping-out-megyn-kelly-interview-215100#ixzz3pQHLVM21)
That wasn't too long a wait, I hope.

MrGoose
10-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Megyn Kelly to Jeb Bush: Will you drop out? (http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/jeb-bush-not-dropping-out-megyn-kelly-interview-215100#ixzz3pQHLVM21)
That wasn't too long a wait, I hope.

Well at least people are being fair. I hope they ask more candidates though.

Peace&Freedom
10-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Jeb is 62 years old right now. He'd be 66 in 2019 when the 2020 campaign begins. This election cycle is the very last one in which we'll see the possibility of a Baby Boomer win the White House. 2020 will be the election of Generation X.

(Yes, I recognize that Rand is Gen X, but I'm talking about on both sides of the aisle. Reps and Dems will be nothing but Gen X, and the nominee of each party in 2020 will be Gen X).

Rand is in his mid-50's so he's still baby boom generation (born 1946-1963). Gen X is 1964-1981, Gen Y is 1982-1999, Z is 2000-now.

sparebulb
10-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Don't fall for this.

This is part of the foundation for the Cinderella rags-to-riches comeback.

kahless
10-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Don't fall for this.

I agree, besides it is too early yet to count him out since he is still polling near the top tier.

2016 ABC/Wash Post
10/21

Trump 32
Carson 22
Rubio 10
Bush 7
Cruz 6
Fiorina 5
Huckabee 3
Christie 3
Paul 2
Kasich 2
Graham 1
Pataki 1
Jindal 0, , Santorum 0

Since they start a few months later this cycle, I picked September 2008/2012 as a comparison.

2012 ABC/Wash Post
9/1
Perry 29
Romney 23
Paul 8
Bachmann 6
Gingrich 4
Cain 3
Santorum 2
Hunstman 1

2008 ABC/Wash Post
9/4 - 9/7

Giuliani 28
Thompson 19
McCain 18
Romney 10
Huckabee 5
Paul 1

cindy25
10-23-2015, 07:14 PM
looks like he is pulling out

CPUd
10-23-2015, 09:09 PM
They would have done better trying to run Neil this cycle.

10-23-2015, 10:29 PM
Don't fall for this.

That is the plan I'm sure. Once Trump and Carson have their scandals and/or Bimbo explosions.

eleganz
10-23-2015, 10:45 PM
Really bad day for Bush, really good day for Rand.

All that money and Bush is still dropping, in fact he is still spending money on ads in early states and it isn't working.

I actually felt bad for him today until I reminded myself he's a Bush. He is getting nailed in the press today though. Rand took an entire summer of this treatment and he is still going.

RDM
10-23-2015, 10:55 PM
Rand is in his mid-50's so he's still baby boom generation (born 1946-1963). Gen X is 1964-1981, Gen Y is 1982-1999, Z is 2000-now.

Correction:

While I’ve seen variations in dates categorizing Baby Boomers, Gen Y, Gen X, and Traditionalists, the following chart will give you a good idea of what people are talking about:

Traditionalists: Born before 1946
Boomers: 1946 – 1964
Generation X (Gen X): 1965 – 1980
Millennials or Generation Y (Gen Y): 1981 – 2000

Peace&Freedom
10-24-2015, 08:50 AM
Correction:

While I’ve seen variations in dates categorizing Baby Boomers, Gen Y, Gen X, and Traditionalists, the following chart will give you a good idea of what people are talking about:

Traditionalists: Born before 1946
Boomers: 1946 – 1964
Generation X (Gen X): 1965 – 1980
Millennials or Generation Y (Gen Y): 1981 – 2000

I thought the generations schema followed in even 17 year intervals, hence the breakdown I gave. And millenials could be argued to mean those born since the new millenium started or 2000 onward, as a matter of their being literally of this millenia.

hells_unicorn
10-24-2015, 11:21 AM
I thought the generations schema followed in even 17 year intervals, hence the breakdown I gave. And millenials could be argued to mean those born since the new millenium started or 2000 onward, as a matter of their being literally of this millenia.

I've seen a number of divergent dates set up for generation cut-offs, and even some that break the various generations into smaller sub-categories based on whether one is born earlier or later in the range provided. There's about a 2-3 year gray area as far as the transition from Baby Boomers to Generation X, but all of them tend to include 1980 (the year of my birth) as either the cut-off or close to he cut-off for when Gen X becomes Gen Y. This probably explains why in terms of my taste in music, art and even cultural figures that I admired, I usually ended up either looking back to the early 90s and 80s (I technically came of age in the mid 1990s), or was otherwise fixed on things at the present that were a throwback to said time period, whereas my sister who was only born a couple years later did not gravitate towards those things.

On-topic:

I'm a bit skeptical of Bush dropping out of the race, but I don't think he has been guaranteed the nomination by the party. He's been doing absolutely terrible in both the debates and all of his campaign appearances and while I'm not predicting he will drop out before Iowa, if he does it won't surprise me. The person who will benefit most from him dropping out will be Rubio, so there is probably some benefit in him staying in until after Iowa as the optics of him splitting the establishment vote will give Paul a clearer path to a potential victory there if things turn around, which I think they will.

RandPaul4Prez
10-24-2015, 10:11 PM
you said Bush http://i.imgur.com/NFjNffe.gif

CPUd
10-24-2015, 10:43 PM
I've seen a number of divergent dates set up for generation cut-offs, and even some that break the various generations into smaller sub-categories based on whether one is born earlier or later in the range provided. There's about a 2-3 year gray area as far as the transition from Baby Boomers to Generation X, but all of them tend to include 1980 (the year of my birth) as either the cut-off or close to he cut-off for when Gen X becomes Gen Y. This probably explains why in terms of my taste in music, art and even cultural figures that I admired, I usually ended up either looking back to the early 90s and 80s (I technically came of age in the mid 1990s), or was otherwise fixed on things at the present that were a throwback to said time period, whereas my sister who was only born a couple years later did not gravitate towards those things.

On-topic:

I'm a bit skeptical of Bush dropping out of the race, but I don't think he has been guaranteed the nomination by the party. He's been doing absolutely terrible in both the debates and all of his campaign appearances and while I'm not predicting he will drop out before Iowa, if he does it won't surprise me. The person who will benefit most from him dropping out will be Rubio, so there is probably some benefit in him staying in until after Iowa as the optics of him splitting the establishment vote will give Paul a clearer path to a potential victory there if things turn around, which I think they will.

I think Rubio has always been the guy the party higher-ups want. After Mitt lost, Rubio was the first one they trotted out there on national TV to give the SOTU response, which he promptly fucked up. Nonetheless, he kept a relatively low profile, even today. He is another one of those candidates who benefit from a large field. The deal with Jeb is that they probably can't get away with running another Bush. I think the party likes him for the people he would bring into his administration (same people as the previous Bushes), but the electorate is showing no signs that they will accept it. Continuing to try and shove him down peoples' throats is going against everything their 2012 "postmortem" said the party needs to change to win a general election.

r3volution 3.0
10-24-2015, 10:57 PM
looks like he is pulling out

Papa Bush should have pulled out and saved the world this travesty.