PDA

View Full Version : Justin Amash will vote for Paul Ryan for Speaker if he is nominee

tsai3904
10-22-2015, 10:08 AM
Freedom Caucus’ Amash backs Ryan for speaker

Melissa Nann Burke
October 22, 2015

U.S. Rep. Justin Amash of Cascade Township said he is among the Republican conservative hard-liners who have decided to back Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan’s bid to become the next speaker of the House.

A “supermajority” of the 40-member House Freedom Caucus voted to support Ryan for speaker late Wednesday, giving Ryan sufficient support to win the position, should he decide to run. The vote came after meetings with the House Ways and Means committee chairman this week.

Amash told The Detroit News on Thursday that, “consistent with our statement, if Chairman Ryan runs and becomes the nominee, I will support him on the floor.”

More:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2015/10/22/freedom-caucus-amash-backs-ryan-speaker/74387918/

Mr.NoSmile
10-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Waiting for the cascade of 'Primary him' or 'Amash let us down' or 'What a disappointment.'

That or Amash sees that, at the end of the day, this stalling tactic keeps Boehner around longer and doesn't really get anything done, particularly when you've got nothing but the obstructionist label.

Kotin
10-22-2015, 10:12 AM
I trust Amash..

erowe1
10-22-2015, 10:19 AM
Waiting for the cascade of 'Primary him' or 'Amash let us down' or 'What a disappointment.'

That or Amash sees that, at the end of the day, this stalling tactic keeps Boehner around longer and doesn't really get anything done, particularly when you've got nothing but the obstructionist label.

What's wrong with not really getting anything done?

Brian4Liberty
10-22-2015, 10:55 AM
No doubt Amash has his reasons, and he is in the room for these discussions. Doesn't mean anybody has to be happy with Ryan as Speaker.

Mr.NoSmile
10-22-2015, 11:06 AM
What's wrong with not really getting anything done?

Well,when Amash runs for re-election, what's on his list of accomplishments? Potentially helped in keeping McCarthy from running. Okay, but what have you actually accomplished for the good of your state? Were you sent to just be a do-nothing Congressman in the name of integrity or do you intend to actually do something and act like you being there makes any difference?

Sola_Fide
10-22-2015, 11:52 AM
That's too bad. I don't think Massie would.

Brian4Liberty
10-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Audio:
http://p.cmlsdet.com/player/?feed=50&id=17666

discusses Paul Ryan for Speaker

He talks about it in that interview. Pretty luke-warm. Condensed version: "Ryan promises to try to be fair, we hope so."

IMHO, it basically comes down to the fact that the establishment will never support Webster, if for no other reason than the fact that the Freedom Caucus gave Webster an official endorsement. It's a deadlock. It's coming down to "let's get on with it and cross our fingers". The fact that Ryan has come in with draconian pre-conditions such as changing the "Jefferson" rule, and that he is more of a policy person as opposed to a process person, doesn't give me much hope for a big change. Guess we'll see.

Matt Collins
10-22-2015, 12:15 PM
He talks about it in that interview. Pretty luke-warm. Condensed version: "Ryan promises to try to be fair, we hope so."

IMHO, it basically comes down to the fact that the establishment will never support Webster, if for no other reason than the fact that the Freedom Caucus gave Webster an official endorsement. It's a deadlock. It's coming down to "let's get on with it and cross our fingers". The fact that Ryan has come in with draconian pre-conditions such as changing the "Jefferson" rule, and that he is more of a policy person as opposed to a process person, doesn't give me much hope for a big change. Guess we'll see.

That and Ryan removed two conservatives from the budget committee for speaking out.

Brian4Liberty
10-22-2015, 12:20 PM
That and Ryan removed two conservatives from the budget committee for speaking out.

Yep, even less of a reason to trust Ryan.

jllundqu
10-22-2015, 12:35 PM
If Ryan gets the speakership AND they remove the Jefferson Rule allowing a challenge.... fuck anyone who supports him, Amash included.

thoughtomator
10-22-2015, 05:52 PM
Paul Ryan will be Boehner on steroids. Everything that is wrong with Boehner will be multiplied with Ryan - bank on it.

William Tell
10-22-2015, 05:56 PM
I trust Amash..

Massie has made it clear in interviews that he will support Webster on the floor.

brandon
10-22-2015, 05:59 PM
I don't think I know enough about Paul Ryan to form an opinion.

William Tell
10-22-2015, 06:01 PM
The Freedom Caucus sucks. Its a shame to see Amash take his marching orders from a loser like Jordan.

angelatc
10-22-2015, 06:13 PM
I trust Amash..

This

Kotin
10-22-2015, 06:22 PM
Massie has made it clear in interviews that he will support Webster on the floor.

Oh and I support Webster as well.. I'm just saying that Amash probably has his reasons for this and I'm okay with that

angelatc
10-22-2015, 06:22 PM
Well,when Amash runs for re-election, what's on his list of accomplishments? Potentially helped in keeping McCarthy from running. Okay, but what have you actually accomplished for the good of your state? Were you sent to just be a do-nothing Congressman in the name of integrity or do you intend to actually do something and act like you being there makes any difference?

People said much the same thing about Ron Paul.

erowe1
10-22-2015, 06:26 PM

Keeping bad things from happening is making a difference.

William R
10-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Very disappointing . Ryan is a classic Chamber of Commerce Republican. Cheap labor, bailouts and import export bank

helmuth_hubener
10-22-2015, 10:41 PM
No doubt Amash has his reasons

And he always says what those reasons are, right on Facebook. I have no time to read the article. Didn't he explain why?

notsure
10-22-2015, 11:27 PM

Sola_Fide
10-23-2015, 12:06 AM
Very disappointing . Ryan is a classic Chamber of Commerce Republican. Cheap labor, bailouts and import export bank

What is wrong with cheap labor? Do you like high prices?

cindy25
10-23-2015, 03:18 AM
What is wrong with cheap labor? Do you like high prices?

because the cheap labor is only possible because of food stamps, medicaid, public housing. Wal-Mart should stop having the taxpayers subsidize its workers

Tywysog Cymru
10-23-2015, 01:18 PM
because the cheap labor is only possible because of food stamps, medicaid, public housing. Wal-Mart should stop having the taxpayers subsidize its workers

IIRC the Chinese were used as "cheap labor" long before America became a welfare state.

notsure
10-23-2015, 02:54 PM
Technically, I've never never heard Amash say he would "vote" for Ryan. I've only heard Amash say that he would "support him", under certain conditions. Justin Amash has already officially endorsed Daniel Webster. I think Amash says "support", meaning he won't attack Ryan, only to get Ryan to adhere to some certain conditions and reform the way the process is handled.

William Tell
10-23-2015, 02:57 PM

erowe1
10-23-2015, 03:37 PM

That's not true. Cheap labor would be possible without those things.

tsai3904
10-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Technically, I've never never heard Amash say he would "vote" for Ryan. I've only heard Amash say that he would "support him", under certain conditions. Justin Amash has already officially endorsed Daniel Webster. I think Amash says "support", meaning he won't attack Ryan, only to get Ryan to adhere to some certain conditions and reform the way the process is handled.

He specifically said he will support him "on the floor". I assume that means on the floor of the House when they are voting for speaker.

PierzStyx
10-23-2015, 08:10 PM

"Do nothing?" Only to the fools that think accomplishing something means creating more laws, more regulations, more debt, and more centralization of government power.

notsure
10-23-2015, 09:06 PM
He specifically said he will support him "on the floor". I assume that means on the floor of the House when they are voting for speaker.

From the article, he said "if Ryan runs, and becomes the nominee" then he'll "support him on the floor". I assume this means if Ryan get enough votes for the closed door vote on the 28th, then Amash will support him on the floor vote on the 29th. Maybe in an attempt to appear unified and maybe to get Ryan to agree to reforming the process. I'm assuming the HFC doesn't really have a leg to stand on here, and Ryan will win with overwhelming support from other caucuses. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I do know though that Amash has officially endorsed Webster, and I assume he'll be voting for Webster on the 28th.

Spikender
10-23-2015, 09:49 PM
Clearly Justin Amash has sold out.

fr33
10-23-2015, 09:58 PM
Clearly Justin Amash has sold out.

heh, I know you have to be joking.

Because of him becoming speaker, we will never see a president Paul Ryan. And I am glad of that.

Peace&Freedom
10-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Amash et al caucus members has played this smart, in that without a doubt, they got concessions from Ryan from the outset. They've already ousted two establishment guys, and must have made it clear that with or without the vacate vote, their influence is going to keep growing. The majority voting to support Ryan shows they are not rigid, thus defeating the narrative that they are unreasonable. If Ryan breaks whatever promises he's made, he knows there's another embarrassing confrontation coming.

notsure
10-23-2015, 11:15 PM

Spikender
10-23-2015, 11:49 PM

Because of him becoming speaker, we will never see a president Paul Ryan. And I am glad of that.

To be honest, I don't think we would've seen a President Paul Ryan speaker or no speaker.

But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Eric21ND
10-24-2015, 08:51 AM
"Do nothing?" Only to the fools that think accomplishing something means creating more laws, more regulations, more debt, and more centralization of government power.

https://ragingfluff.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/hudd.gif

Eric21ND
10-24-2015, 09:00 AM
I don't think I know enough about Paul Ryan to form an opinion.

http://contrakrugman.com/ep-5-whos-crazy/

TheTexan
10-24-2015, 09:02 AM
do you intend to actually do something and act like you being there makes any difference?

Yes, acting like this whole thing makes a difference, is very important. Acting like things make a difference, is the only way things can appear to get done.

jkob
10-25-2015, 04:10 AM
Amash needs to tread lightly and not bite the hand that feeds him or else he'll end up like Bentivolio.

Krugminator2
10-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Amash needs to tread lightly and not bite the hand that feeds him or else he'll end up like Bentivolio.

No. He doesn't need to be treading at all. He has basically been a perfect Congressman. If anyone complains to Amash that he is some sort of sellout, he should spit right their face. And then he should tell them to kiss his feet. And then he should tell them they are lucky to be kissing the feet of such a great Congressman.

jmdrake
10-26-2015, 03:40 PM

How does this change anything exactly? It's too late for him to run this time. What makes you so sure sometime in the future he might not run based on his "list of accomplishments" as speaker? Or are you saying he will do such a crappy job as speaker that his brand will be too damaged to run?