PDA

View Full Version : 10 Freedom Caucus Members Oppose Paul Ryan's Candidacy

Sola_Fide
10-21-2015, 08:19 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/10/21/3714807/9-freedom-caucus-members-publicly-reject-paul-ryan-enough-to-doom-his-candidacy-for-speaker/

Paul Ryan has a big obstacle standing the way of becoming House Speaker: Math.

Advertisement

As a condition of him accepting the position of House Speaker, Ryan laid out*a list of demands. Chief among them is that the Republican caucus gives up their ability to call a “Motion To Vacate The Chair,” which is basically a method of deposing a sitting speaker.

Another key demand from Ryan is that he secure the endorsement of all the major caucuses within the House GOP.

That won’t be an issue for Ryan with one big exception, the Freedom Caucus. The Freedom Caucus is comprised of about 40 hard-line members who*want the House Republicans to be much more aggressive. They are the also the group who forced out Speaker John Boehner by threatening a Motion To Vacate The Chair.

According to Freedom Caucus rules, you need the support of four-fifths of the caucus to secure their endorsement. That means anyone who is opposed by more than 8 members will not be able to be endorsed by the group.

Advertisement

Already 10 Freedom Caucus members have publicly expressed their opposition to Ryan or his key demand, which is enough to sink his candidacy.

Ryan could either change his demands or any of these Representatives could change their position. But as it stands now, things are not looking up for Paul Ryan.

1. Rep. Justin Amash

Leader of Freedom Caucus, Justin Amash, tells me: "I don't think a speaker candidate should set preconditions."

— Manu Raju (@mkraju)*October 21, 2015

2. Rep. Thomas Massie

CONGRESS: Cong Thomas Massie (R) of House Freedom Caucus says Paul Ryan's "unreasonable" demands show he doesn't really want Speaker job.

— Politics1.com (@Politics1com)*October 21, 2015

3. Rep. Raul Labrador

Raul Labrador just called one of Paul Ryan's conditions — eliminating the motion to vacate the chair — "a non-starter."

— Matt Fuller (@MEPFuller)*October 21, 2015

4. Rep. Walter Jones

Rep. Jones on Paul Ryan: This is not what we need. We need someone that can represent the American people and not special interests.

— Alex Moe (@AlexNBCNews)*October 21, 2015

5. Rep. Dan Webster

Webster leaving Capitol on how leadership handled tonight: "What we saw was power at work [for Ryan]. Is anyone surprised?"

— Robert Costa (@costareports)*October 21, 2015

Webster is actually running against Ryan and currently holds the endorsement of the Freedom Caucus.

6. Rep. Tim Huelskamp

Rep Huelskamp on Ryan: He’s set up..unacceptable conditions. He knows they’re unreasonable..He can drop out and say ‘At least I tried.’

— Chad Pergram (@ChadPergram)*October 21, 2015

7. Rep. Mo Brooks

GOP Rep Mo Brooks, member of Freedom Caucus said concern already about Ryan's "amnesty and open borders immigration position"

— Deirdre Walsh (@deirdrewalshcnn)*October 21, 2015

8. Rep. John Flemming

Freedom Caucus Rep John Fleming R-LA: "Many of us have the sense that Paul Ryan really doesn't want the job"

— Jamie Dupree (@jamiedupree)*October 21, 2015

9. Rep. Mick Mulvaney

Rep. Mulvaney on changing motion to vacate chair: "I like Paul Ryan a lot. I like Thomas Jefferson better."

— Cristina Marcos (@cimarcos)*October 21, 2015

10. Rep. Matt Salmon

“It’s like interviewing a maid for a job and she says, ‘I don’t clean windows, I don’t do floors, I don’t do beds, these are the hours I’ll work.’ It’s rubbing a lot of people the wrong way,” Rep. Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.), a co-founder of the Freedom Caucus, told The Hill.[The Hill,*10/21/15]

Sola_Fide
10-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Thomas is emerging as a leader of the liberty movement. His seat has to be protected at all costs.

Sola_Fide
11-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Final Roll call against Paul Ryan:

Brat
Clawson (FL)
Gohmert
Gosar
Jones
Massie
Posey
Weber (TX)
Yoho

Amash is not on this list. Sad.

Voluntarist
11-03-2015, 11:20 AM
So there's nine members in The Freedom Caucus ... Somebody check my math on that

William Tell
11-03-2015, 12:14 PM
So there's nine members in The Freedom Caucus ... Somebody check my math on that

Massie and Jones are not in it.

notsure
11-03-2015, 09:42 PM

I believe there are 38 members of the House Freedom Caucus.

Massie, Webster, Jones, and Costa are not members of the HFC.