PDA

View Full Version : Pelosi says Dems Open to supporting RINO Republican for Speaker

William Tell
10-17-2015, 04:56 PM
For those not familiar with Texas politics, the current speaker of the Texas House. Republican in name only Joe Straus, wrested the speakership from Republican Tom Craddick in 2009. With the support of the Democrats, and and the 'Gang of 11'.

Some of the most liberal members of the house GOP caucus. Pelosi wants the same thing to happen in Washington.

AUSTIN — Democratic Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said Saturday that there are Democrats in the U.S. House who are open to joining with some Republicans to elect a consensus choice for House Speaker — similar to how the Texas Speaker of the House is elected.

“I think in our caucus there is interest and support, there’s an openness to a bipartisan approach to this,” Pelosi, a California Democrat, said during an on-stage discussion at the Texas Tribune Festival with Washington Bureau Chief Abby Livingston.

When Livingston asked Pelosi which Republican Democrats would be willing to support, Pelosi fired back, “Do you want him to be totally destroyed in his caucus if I mentioned who I thought would be good?”

In recent weeks, outgoing Speaker John Boehner's resignation and U.S. House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's withdrawal from the race to replace him have thrown House Republicans into chaos. Some Democratic House members, including U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro (http://www.texastribune.org/directory/joaquin-castro/), D-San Antonio, have suggested a moderate Republican could win enough support from a coalition of Republicans and Democrats to be speaker.

“I keep saying to my Republican friends, and I do have Republican friends, take back your party,” Pelosi said, adding that she worried that the House had become "ungovernable" due to constant Republican in-fighting.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/10/17/pelosil-dems-open-bipartisan-candidate-house-speak/

Voluntarist
10-17-2015, 05:47 PM
xxxxx

Batman
10-17-2015, 11:12 PM
Draft Tom McClintock. No one will have a problem with him.

nobody's_hero
10-19-2015, 03:08 PM
"Ungovernable."

I'm hearing this a lot lately, not just from Pelosi. People in the GOP seem to be increasingly wary of government stalemate, as though it is a bad thing.

Apparently government is supposed to be able to pass everything fluidly and without dissent. If a minority can put the brakes on a majority steam-roller, then the system is broken.

I'm often reminded of a quote from (the original) Daniel Webster:

"There are men in all ages who mean to exercise power usefully, but they mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters, but they mean to be masters. "