PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit recordings - Cockpit Crew questioned Legality of Bombing Hospital - DrsWithoutBorders

charrob
10-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Cockpit recordings / Cockpit Crew questioned Legality of Bombing Hospital - DrsWithoutBorders

On NBC Nightly News (http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/cockpit-crew-in-doctors-without-borders-strike-questioned-legality-545354307855) on Thursday, Pentagon correspondent Jim Miklaszewski reported that, based on the accounts of Defense Department sources, cockpit recordings from the AC-130 gunship involved in the incident “reveal that the crew actually questioned whether the airstrike was legal.” He also quoted a U.S. defense official suggesting that the attack “may in fact amount to a war crime.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-SubcY5-6s

Anti Federalist
10-16-2015, 09:26 PM
Of course it's a war crime to deliberately target a hospital.

What are you gonna do about it?

That's what I thought.

Move along now...

jmdrake
10-16-2015, 09:47 PM
So who did Doctors Without Borders piss off? And yeah, I thought the story that this was all an "accident" was bogus. Supposedly we have these super accurate laser guide smart bombs that can go down a chimney but we can't miss a hospital?

timosman
10-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Remember when we "accidentally" bombed Chinese embassy in Belgrade in 1999 ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_bombing_of_the_Chinese_embassy_in_Be lgrade

dannno
10-16-2015, 09:59 PM
So who did Doctors Without Borders piss off?

Did Obama Bomb Doctors Without Borders for Opposing TPP?
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?483215-Did-Obama-Bomb-Doctors-Without-Borders-for-Opposing-TPP

acptulsa
10-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Or the French embassy in Libya, after they refused to allow us through their airspace to go bomb Ghaddafi?

Pity there's no youtube of Sam Kinnison saying, 'Gee, sorry about the embassy, France. Maybe our aim would have been better if WE HADN'T BEEN SO FUCKING TIRED!

sparebulb
10-16-2015, 10:01 PM
What's wrong with you people?

Did you really want the Taliban to take the hospital?

They would have access to scalpels and Band-Aids and stuff.

jmdrake
10-16-2015, 10:54 PM
What's wrong with you people?

Did you really want the Taliban to take the hospital?

They would have access to scalpels and Band-Aids and stuff.

Scalpels are like box cutters. WMDs in the hands of mooselums.

squarepusher
10-17-2015, 01:09 AM
I thought "they didn't know it was a hospital"

:toady:

ghengis86
10-17-2015, 07:03 AM
I thought "they didn't know it was a hospital"

:toady:

That was the first narrative on day one. I think we're on the 7th or 8th different story now. Toady has a hard time keeping up

phill4paul
10-17-2015, 07:07 AM
Of course it's a war crime to deliberately target a hospital.

What are you gonna do about it?

That's what I thought.

Move along now...

"Hey Sarge, is it legal to disarm and move these citizens to internment camps?"
"Hell if I know, Private. We got our orders."

charrob
11-08-2015, 12:39 AM
more information on this...

Unit That Called In Kunduz Airstrike Knew Hospital Was Functioning: (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/unit-that-called-in-kunduz-airstrike-knew-hospital-was-functioning-believed-it-was-overrun-by-taliban_562e6936e4b00aa54a4a8844)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Army Green Berets who requested the Oct. 3 airstrike on the Doctors without Borders trauma center in Afghanistan were aware it was a functioning hospital but believed it was under Taliban control, The Associated Press has learned. The information adds to the evidence the site was familiar to the U.S. and raises questions about whether the attack violated international law.

A day before an American AC130 gunship attacked the hospital, a senior officer in the Green Beret unit wrote in a report that U.S. forces had discussed the hospital with the country director of the medical charity group, presumably in Kabul, according to two people who have seen the document.

The attack left a mounting death toll, now up to 30 people.

Separately, in the days before the attack, "an official in Washington" asked Doctors without Borders "whether our hospital had a large group of Taliban fighters in it," spokesman Tim Shenk said in an email. "We replied that this was not the case. We also stated that we were very clear with both sides to the conflict about the need to respect medical structures."

Taken together, the revelations add to the growing possibility that U.S. forces destroyed what they knew was a functioning hospital , which would be a violation of international law. The Pentagon has said Americans would never have intentionally fired on a medical facility, and it's unclear why the Green Beret unit requested the strike — and how such an attack was approved by the chain of command — on coordinates widely known to have included a hospital.

Even if the U.S. believed the Taliban were operating from the hospital, the presence of wounded patients inside would have made an air attack on it problematic under standard American rules of engagement and the international law of war.

The coordinates of the hospital were sent to "all friendly forces," the report said, noting that among the U.S. objectives for the next day was to "clear the trauma center" of enemy forces.

The Green Berets had asked for Air Force intelligence-gathering flights over the hospital, and both Green Berets and Air Force personnel were aware it was a protected medical facility, the records show, according to the two people who have seen the documents.

After the attack, some U.S. analysts assessed it was justified, the records show, and one report said 16 enemies had been killed, the two sources say.

enhanced_deficit
11-08-2015, 01:40 AM
Neocons owners/masters probably won't let any real accountability happen.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?483234-Doctors-Without-Borders-airstrike-US-alters-story-for-fourth-time-in-four-days&

U.S. Plane Shot Victims Fleeing Doctors Without Borders Hospital: Charity (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?484691-U-S-Plane-Shot-Victims-Fleeing-Doctors-Without-Borders-Hospital-Charity&)

surf
11-08-2015, 11:40 AM
The Army Green Berets who requested the Oct. 3 airstrike on the Doctors without Borders trauma center in Afghanistan were aware it was a functioning hospital green berets? the super hero soldiers?

I refuse to believe that our great brave soldiers from the greatest country on earth could possibly target a hospital! no doubt there must have been some centrifuges in the basement along with a heroin factory run by Taliban children, a sex trafficking hq, land mine factory, and a radical madrasa all powered by a high CO2 output coal plant.

Brian4Liberty
11-08-2015, 11:49 AM
After the attack, some U.S. analysts assessed it was justified

The good old internal investigation...

TheTexan
11-08-2015, 11:51 AM
There was at least one terrorist killed though, right?

Brian4Liberty
11-08-2015, 11:53 AM
The Army Green Berets who requested the Oct. 3 airstrike on the Doctors without Borders trauma center in Afghanistan were aware it was a functioning hospital

That can "request" all they want, but they don't get to make the final decision. Who is really accountable? With something that amounts to an intentional violation of military code and international treaty, the one who must be accountable is the commander in chief. Who will hold Obama accountable?

bunklocoempire
11-08-2015, 07:45 PM
http://s6.postimg.org/sk3v933e9/Obama_Nobel.jpg

Anti Federalist
11-08-2015, 08:00 PM
"Hey Sarge, is it legal to disarm and move these citizens to internment camps?"
"Hell if I know, Private. We got our orders."

Yessir!

You there! Maggot! Move along!

Cleaner44
11-08-2015, 08:11 PM
You see, when an American president orders a hospital bombed, that means it is not a war crime.

sparebulb
11-08-2015, 09:05 PM
"Well, when the President does it that means that it is not illegal."

RICHARD NIXON, interview with David Frost, May 19, 1977