PDA

View Full Version : New CBS Poll (10/11/2015): Rand in 7th, Will Likely Make Debate

SilentBull
10-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Trump 27
Carson 21
Cruz 9
Rubio 8
Fiorina 6
Bush 6
Paul 4
Christie 3
Kasich 2
Huckabee 2
Santorum 1
Jindal 0
Graham 0
Pataki 0

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-trump-still-leads-carson-in-second/

Excellent news for Rand! His average is now a solid 3%.

squirl22
10-11-2015, 10:11 AM
yes, good news.

SilentBull
10-11-2015, 10:12 AM
This means even if the next two polls have him at 1% and 2%, he will still be in the debate. It's very unlikely he will be left out now.

SilentBull
10-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Also, check out Fiorina. The media couldn't hold her up.

limequat
10-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Any body care to do the math on the standings per the debate criteria? Would be nice if Rand's the on the absolute end of the stage.

hells_unicorn
10-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Good news, I'm hoping he holds this position so he doesn't have any weaker showings than this in the next couple polls. If he can stay ahead of Kasich and Christie, and maybe even creep up on Bush and Fiorina a bit more, we'll be in good shape for podium positioning in the next debate.

I'm amazed not only at how poorly Fiorina is polling despite all the media support, but also how perpetually bad Bush's numbers have remained. That may change once Trump and Carson start tanking, but Bush is in far worse of a position now than Romney was in 2012, in fact he's getting close to McCain territory circa 2008. We need to keep our eyes out for a sudden surge of support for him, but his public appearances and debate performances have been terrible, and it is reflecting in his current numbers.

SilentBull
10-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Lindsey still fails to qualify for the kiddie debate. How sweet would that be if he's left out of that one? Is that guy even campaigning or does he just want his name on the ballot?

kbs021
10-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Was about to post this actually. Pretty big deal!

georgiaboy
10-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Moving up!
McDonald's numbers headed down.
People are starting to actually pay attention.

Xenliad
10-11-2015, 10:57 AM
This was interesting:

http://i.imgur.com/tLi3U8k.png

Jeremy
10-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Phew.

SilentBull
10-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Any body care to do the math on the standings per the debate criteria? Would be nice if Rand's the on the absolute end of the stage.

http://www.silentbull.com/rand-cbs-gop-poll-will-make-debate/

Christie 3.6
Kasich 3.6
Huckabee 3.2
Paul 3.0

Rand is last for the moment. He could easily surpass Huckabee with another good showing before the 21st.

phill4paul
10-11-2015, 11:27 AM
This was interesting:

http://i.imgur.com/tLi3U8k.png

As always..."It's the economy, stupid." He needs to hammer down on his tax plan and what it would do for the average Joe.

Jeremy
10-11-2015, 11:28 AM
As always..."It's the economy, stupid." He needs to hammer down on his tax plan and what it would do for the average Joe.

Maybe cutting spending. I feel like no one has touched on that recently.

Xenliad
10-11-2015, 11:32 AM

I want him to advocate it as passionately as he did medical marijuana at the previous debate.

Crashland
10-11-2015, 11:40 AM
I don't like Cruz almost breaking double digits.

liberty_nc
10-11-2015, 11:44 AM
This is the do or die debate, it is on the economy, so Rand really needs to push his tax plan (especially the $50k tax exemption and the millions of jobs it will create)

Millennial Conservatarian
10-11-2015, 11:48 AM
If the polls say 4% he is realistically sitting at about 8-9% when the landline factor is removed

Liberty74
10-11-2015, 12:15 PM
What was the break down of party affiliation and how many voters?

Carly got a month of the media pushing her and only at 6%? Ha

Millennial Conservatarian
10-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Carly got a month of the media pushing her and only at 6%? Ha
She comes off as Cruella Deville. Nobody likes this bitch. There is nothing the media could possibly do to make her likable.

goldwater's ghost
10-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Lindsey still fails to qualify for the kiddie debate. How sweet would that be if he's left out of that one? Is that guy even campaigning or does he just want his name on the ballot? my favorite story of the race so far. this d-bag only entered the race so that he could debate rand on foreign policy and he has a good chance of never making it to the stage lol

goldwater's ghost
10-11-2015, 12:38 PM
i think rand bottomed a few weeks ago when he was polling at 2%. i think he's bounced a little and all the polls should have between 4-6% heading into the debate

limequat
10-11-2015, 12:47 PM
I don't like Cruz almost breaking double digits.

Well get ready for more disappointment. Cruz is the establishments fall back position. Walker's out. Bush is a dud. Rubio isn't catching on. The last best option is to pump Cruz through the primaries and hand the general to the Dems. Cruz is currently enemy #1.

limequat
10-11-2015, 12:47 PM
i think rand bottomed a few weeks ago when he was polling at 2%. i think he's bounced a little and all the polls should have between 4-6% heading into the debate

Agreed.

CaptUSA
10-11-2015, 12:48 PM

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58010116.jpg

Jeremy
10-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Well get ready for more disappointment. Cruz is the establishments fall back position. Walker's out. Bush is a dud. Rubio isn't catching on. The last best option is to pump Cruz through the primaries and hand the general to the Dems. Cruz is currently enemy #1.

There's nothing Cruz wants more right now than for Rand to drop out. He must be pretty upset about losing the RLC straw poll yesterday, despite spending money to infiltrate it.

specsaregood
10-11-2015, 01:23 PM
There's nothing Cruz wants more right now than for Rand to drop out. He must be pretty upset about losing the RLC straw poll yesterday, despite spending money to infiltrate it.

I think its pretty obvious that its Cruz's campaign that has been circulating B.S. rumors about Paul's campaign for months now. Snake in the grass he is.

alucard13mm
10-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Didnt rands tax plan of 14.5%, give an exemption to those that make under a certain amount? I forgot what it was, 30k? 50k? If this is true of there being an exemption or a break for the poor, it would look good for him (althought, rationally, everyone should pay equal. Emoionally [which is huge in an election], should think of the poor)

limequat
10-11-2015, 01:33 PM
I think its pretty obvious that its Cruz's campaign that has been circulating B.S. rumors about Paul's campaign for months now. Snake in the grass he is.

Yep, pretty sure his campaign is the source of all the "anonymous GOP insiders" feeding BS to politico.

Brett85
10-11-2015, 01:35 PM
I definitely breathed a big sigh of relief after looking at this poll.

BenIsForRon
10-11-2015, 01:52 PM
I feel like Rand will have to confront Cruz at some point, but I'm not stoked about it because Cruz has been an important ally at times in the Senate.

carlton
10-11-2015, 02:03 PM
I feel like Rand will have to confront Cruz at some point, but I'm not stoked about it because Cruz has been an important ally at times in the Senate.

If Cruz was an ice-cream flavor, he'd be praline and dick.

phill4paul
10-11-2015, 02:15 PM

:D

Kotin
10-11-2015, 02:16 PM

haha win..

limequat
10-11-2015, 03:35 PM

There have some fairly barbed exchanges already. I don't think Rand is counting on Cruz for anything but trouble.

carlton
10-11-2015, 03:37 PM
There have some fairly barbed exchanges already. I don't think Rand is counting on Cruz for anything but trouble.

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/7-07-2015/FppVGZ.gif

Rudeman
10-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Bush is just waiting for the other establishment/moderate candidates to drop out. Take out Christie, Kasich, Fiorina and Rubio + Bush's total and that's 25%. So we need to be aware of that, just because he's struggling doesn't mean he can't "surge" back up.

PCKY
10-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Trump 27
Carson 21
Cruz 9
Rubio 8
Fiorina 6
Bush 6
Paul 4
Christie 3
Kasich 2
Huckabee 2
Santorum 1
Jindal 0
Graham 0
Pataki 0

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-trump-still-leads-carson-in-second/

Yay! How many more polls before the cut off?

jkob
10-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Not sure how Rand would go about attacking Cruz unless over foreign policy which I'd be all for but Rand seems to go out of h, I'd probably avoid it directly since Cruz is not an ill-prepared guy and is very popular with conservatives in the GOP that we want to win over that are already miffed at Rand. Like Rand won't burn any bridges with McConnell but he doesn't have any problem criticizing the other conservatives in this race? You do realize how this appears? Rand needs to pound Jeb, Rubio, the media, the establishment, he needs to stand out and not be afraid of what the polls say. The polls say his candidacy is dead so there is nothing to lose by advocating the unpopular nonmainstream positions, controversy attracts attention and the voters need educating. Stop trying to be "electable", that is a box that Rand will never escape from. Just showing up and attacking someone above you in the polls doesn't look good very often, we need substance.

Honestly I think an economics debate is going to be tough, people aren't going to disagree with each other rather just try to one up one another. I'm sure they'll be plenty of other questions I guess, Rand needs to take up the anti-war and anti-drug war(which can be framed as state's rights issue mantle full time as part of his campaign. The media making fun of our kooky ideas is better than not distinguishing ourselves, for all Rand's pandering to hawks most who that is important to still think Rand is some limp wristed isolationist like his father. Project confidence, tell them why you are right and they are wrong. Speaking like a vanilla politician trying to juggle support is a ticket to irrelevance. Extremism is no vice in the defense of liberty!

squirl22
10-11-2015, 04:17 PM

HA HA...GOOD LAUGH!

Brett85
10-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Yay! How many more polls before the cut off?

Nobody knows for sure. We just know that the cut off is the 21st.

Batman
10-11-2015, 05:20 PM
:D

The pralines aren't worth it.

10-11-2015, 05:28 PM
If the polls say 4% he is realistically sitting at about 8-9% when the landline factor is removed

The polls lie!

Oh how little has been learned from the last 2 goes at this.

:rolleyes:

CPUd
10-11-2015, 05:32 PM
8-9% is a bit high for a national poll right now. Maybe 6%.

Brett85
10-11-2015, 06:23 PM
The polls lie!

Yeah, not to mention that most polling organizations include cell phones in their polling. There are some that don't, like Rasmussen and PPP, and those polls do generally have Rand about 1-3% lower than the other polls. But polls like CBS, CNN, ABC, etc. all include cell phones in their polling, and I think the percentage they have Rand at is probably pretty accurate.

carlton
10-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Yeah, not to mention that most polling organizations include cell phones in their polling. There are some that don't, like Rasmussen and PPP, and those polls do generally have Rand about 1-3% lower than the other polls. But polls like CBS, CNN, ABC, etc. all include cell phones in their polling, and I think the percentage they have Rand at is probably pretty accurate.

I've heard that the percentage of cells used opposed to landlines is grossly disproportionate

Brett85
10-11-2015, 06:54 PM
I've heard that the percentage of cells used opposed to landlines is grossly disproportionate

Well, Huffington Post uses scientific internet polls that should be very fair to Rand as they generally poll a larger percentage of younger voters, but Rand is about the same in those polls, around 4%.

eleganz
10-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Gallup Polling has officially dropped out of any primary and presidential polling for 2016 and potentially the future, and they are now sticking to polling the issues. They found that polling has been too inaccurate even though they have better than average polling methodologies.

Polling really doesn't matter this early anyways.

What matters most is who is the typical establishment preferred candidates, because they will have the best chance of winning and those with the best chance of becoming the insurgent anti-establishment candidates.

I'll be happy when Rand breaks 6 into the 7's.

Bastiat's The Law
10-11-2015, 07:42 PM
The polls lie!

Yeah we learned that the polls are mostly accurate, some are very accurate. Nate Silver makes a living from his accurate reading of the polls and foretelling outcomes.

mello
10-11-2015, 07:51 PM
The next time a reporter asks him if he should drop out since his poll numbers are low, he should respond with something like this:

"Nope, I'm in for the long haul. Let me ask you a question though. I'm polling hire than Christie, Kasich, & Huckabee but I never see reporters ask them that same question, why is that?"

phill4paul
10-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Didnt rands tax plan of 14.5%, give an exemption to those that make under a certain amount? I forgot what it was, 30k? 50k? If this is true of there being an exemption or a break for the poor, it would look good for him (althought, rationally, everyone should pay equal. Emoionally [which is huge in an election], should think of the poor)

The tax would not kick in until a $15k threshold was passed per adult. Another $5k per child. A married couple with 4 children would not have to pay the 14.5% until they reached the $50k threshold and then only on what is made beyond that. Earned income Credit still applies to lower income families.

https://www.randpaul.com/issue/taxes

r3volution 3.0
10-11-2015, 08:46 PM

Yup

Rand needs to point out that he's going to cut both taxes and spending vastly more than the rest (most of whom have no plan at all).

Fiscal conservatism or bust, that's his route to the nomination.

He needs to go hog wild, I want to hear the name Henry Hazlitt before the night's over.

I want him to call Franklin Roosevelt a bolshevik (well, not really but you get the idea).

erowe1
10-11-2015, 08:52 PM

Hardly.

r3volution 3.0
10-11-2015, 09:07 PM

You win the internet

/thread

Stannis
10-11-2015, 09:07 PM
You know our campaign is not doing well when we are celebrating the fact that we have 3% in the polls.

Jonderdonk
10-11-2015, 09:14 PM
You know our campaign is not doing well when we are celebrating the fact that we have 3% in the polls.

Where's the party?

r3volution 3.0
10-11-2015, 09:23 PM

How long have you been involved in this?

*not a snarky question

Brett85
10-11-2015, 09:28 PM

We're just celebrating that Rand will likely be in the next GOP debate. One step at a time.

hells_unicorn
10-11-2015, 10:25 PM

Debbie Downers need not apply, and in case you haven't noticed, this isn't a celebration, this is a sigh of relief that we're not being relegated to the bottom tier 3 months before the Iowa caucus. You should stick to whining about people not supporting gay marriage, it's one of the few things you seem good at.

Mad Raven
10-11-2015, 10:33 PM
The polls are so silly. It's name recognition mixed in with a couple positive and negative memories of what a couple people said. It's barely better than the "man on the street" interviews with the clueless idiots who try to make what they think is the most reasonable sounding answer to avoid revealing how clueless they are.

As the elections get closer, people start getting slightly more informed.

Liberty74
10-12-2015, 05:27 AM

It does not matter. The polls for the most part were very accurate in 2012.

The reason it does not matter is the polling companies do a good job at finding the "likely voters" via their questioning. And giving a good realistic demographic of age group tournout.

LawnWake
10-12-2015, 07:39 AM
Rand really, really has to knock it out of the park on this one if he wants to be a legitemate contender.

LatinsforPaul
10-12-2015, 08:03 AM
Rand really, really has to knock it out of the park on this one if he wants to be a legitemate contender.

If you don't think Rand is a legitimate contender, than you need to get yourself to Iowa and New Hampshire just to see how well Rand is doing on the ground.

LawnWake
10-12-2015, 08:18 AM
If you don't think Rand is a legitimate contender, than you need to get yourself to Iowa and New Hampshire just to see how well Rand is doing on the ground.

Being a legitemate contender is more than just a good ground game. He needs to project strength and electability. He's projecting electability, just not strength. It needs to be a debate performance that legitemizes him in the eyes of the nation. Ground game with a caucus win only means so much. Look how well Ron did at the caucus in both New Hampshire and Iowa? It didn't do him any good in the long run.

I'm not trying to be cynical here. I have hopes for Rand and I think he can turn it around. Thing is though, he really needs to.

RabbitMan
10-12-2015, 10:25 AM
What people are trying to say is that the Iowa caucus will have him over-perform with our ground game.

If he can stay in the running and come off as legit as anyone else until then, he is in a very good place for how challenging this primary is going to be.

Peace&Freedom
10-12-2015, 10:55 AM
For the next week, Rand should answer every interview question about his standing in the race with "oh, I'm polling at about 4%" to help pump up his momentum and the perception that his 'surge' has begun, to ensure the media talking points become geared around that, instead of the 2% number that would exclude him from the next debate. This should be followed up by Rand putting on a masterful performance at the debate, which in turn should control the narrative in his favor for the week or so following the event.

William Tell
10-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Rand is ahead of Huckabee and Christie on the RealClear Politics average.

TomtheTinker
10-12-2015, 04:58 PM

I have friends/fam in NH and they all think Rand is gonna win NH.

MrGoose
10-12-2015, 05:23 PM
I have friends/fam in NH and they all think Rand is gonna win NH.
Why is that? Honest question.

limequat
10-12-2015, 08:23 PM
I kinda get the feeling that rand is doing a bit of rope-a-dope here.
He knows the media will never be on his side. Let them clamor over the flavor of the month while he gives solid and maybe a bit bland interviews. What he's not doing is hanging himself with a Dean Scream or a Quayle moment. I wonder if we might see a more impassioned Rand later on.

Tinnuhana
10-13-2015, 01:29 AM
http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2012-national-gop-primary

Good charts of the "flavor of the month" in the 2012 race.

KingNothing
10-13-2015, 05:17 PM
If the polls predict virtually every candidate to be the front runner at some point or another, and only one of candidates eventually wins, are the polls accurate?

Even if they are accurate, do they add any value? What is the point of knowing if Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, or Rick Perry, or Michele Bachmann or any other clown is leading this month?

Certainly, it is better to have information than to not have information, but I'm starting to come around to the notion that polls really don't matter, this far out anyway.

KingNothing
10-13-2015, 05:18 PM
He knows the media will never be on his side. Let them clamor over the flavor of the month while he gives solid and maybe a bit bland interviews. What he's not doing is hanging himself with a Dean Scream or a Quayle moment. I wonder if we might see a more impassioned Rand later on.

I kind of think you're right. If there's one thing we've seen from Rand over the years, it is that he knows how to draw attention to himself. If he wanted it now, don't you think he'd have it?

Brett85
10-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Fox came out with a poll today that has Rand at 3%. So that means that his overall average is still 3%, so he seems to be pretty safe right now. Kasich and Christie are both down to 3.2% after the Fox poll. It would be nice if Rand could go ahead of them and not be at the end of the stage in the next debate. Huckabee came in at 5% in the Fox poll and raised his average to 3.5%.

r3volution 3.0
10-13-2015, 09:25 PM

To some extent, I think that's true.

Surely, Rand would rather be higher in the polls; let's not kid ourselves and pretend like he could be at 20% right now if he wanted.

But, it doesn't follow that he's shot all his powder already either; leading the polls now has limited value, much more later.

So, I think the campaign is keeping some tricks up their sleeve for later.

I think we're yet going to see some big action, and ad dollars, especially in the last two or three weeks before IA.

eleganz
10-14-2015, 01:08 AM
To be honest, it doesn't even matter who stands where if they're anywhere outside of the middle 2-4 positions.

The most important thing is that Rand gets in the debate and fights for more time. If he gets in as 10th and receives more time than 9th place candidate, he's won.

Rand did a decent job at differentiating himself from the rest of the pack last time, if he can amp it up, he will be great. He needs to generate more interest and donations and he proved at the last debate that he could do that.

Now that he has been hitting the other candidates hard on the red line in Syria, he could have a home run at the next debate but don't underestimate everyone else, they'll have good responses. Rand just needs to differentiate.

If anybody lives in SoCal, message me, theres going to be a watch party in Orange County.

Chieppa1
10-14-2015, 07:05 AM
The Rubio bump is coming.

Paul4Prez
10-15-2015, 09:09 PM

The landline factor is a myth. The polls are pretty accurate, especially when several polls by different companies agree. Rand still has some work to do. The good news is that Christie and Kasich may be exiting stage left.

eleganz
10-15-2015, 09:14 PM
The landline factor is a myth. The polls are pretty accurate, especially when several polls by different companies agree.

I hope nobody is taking this post seriously.