PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy out, Speaker of the House position wide open

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 10:34 AM
In a surprise move, Kevin McCarthy, the establishment candidate to replace John Boehner as Speaker of the House has dropped out of the running. This comes after the House Freedom Caucus endorsed Daniel Webster of Florida for Speaker.

More to come...

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Kevin McCarthy Withdraws from Speaker Race
Cortney O'Brien | Oct 08, 2015

Capitol Hill was shocked Thursday morning with news that the perceived frontrunner for Speaker of the House, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) has withdrawn from the race.

Breaking: GOP congressman tells me @GOPLeader is postponing speaker election...and took himself out of the race.
— Eliana Johnson (@elianayjohnson) October 8, 2015

The only possible explanation for his exit is his disastrous comments about the Benghazi select committee. They were so damaging, that the Clinton campaign used the sound bite in a campaign ad and a prominent conservative group announced they were supporting his opponent, Rep. Daniel Webster (R-FL) McCarthy had over 200 votes secured for the Oct. 29 vote. This race is suddenly blown wide open.
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2015/10/08/kevin-mccarthy-withdraws-from-speaker-race-n2063011

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Related thread:

Daniel Webster for Speaker of The House (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?482872-Daniel-Webster-for-Speaker-of-The-House)

Mr.NoSmile
10-08-2015, 10:41 AM
With the race now postponed..

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Thomas Massie endorsed Daniel Webster quite a while ago.

Thomas Massie endorses Webster at the 9:00 minute mark...

https://soundcloud.com/the-joe-elliott-show/10-01-15-congressman-thomas-massey

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 10:46 AM
McCarthy withdraws from speaker race, vote postponed
Published October 08, 2015

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the front-runner to replace John Boehner, stunned his Republican colleagues on Thursday by withdrawing from the race -- a decision that will postpone the vote for speaker.

Fox News is told McCarthy simply said it was not his time. McCarthy faced opposition from some conservative members and groups, but was thought to have more than enough support to win the party's nomination in the vote initially set for Thursday.

It's unclear what specifically made McCarthy change his mind and drop out.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/08/high-drama-on-capitol-hill-republicans-square-off-in-speaker-vote/

William Tell
10-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Heck yeah, we'll see what happens.

Chester Copperpot
10-08-2015, 10:52 AM
i wonder if hes any relation to the daniel webster of congress of the 1800s

Peace&Freedom
10-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Now the pundits won't be able to hide that the Boehner resignation was exactly about the establishment's suppression of the more Tea Party and liberty oriented House members. The next Speaker can't go back to business as usual, and will have to work with, not beat down the Thomas Massie wing of Congress.

10-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Somebody had dirt on McCarthy. He obviously did this under duress because he didn't want his dirty laundry aired out.

This is going to be interesting.

limequat
10-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Walter Jones had dirt on an affair.

Matt Collins
10-08-2015, 11:11 AM
the Thomas Massie wing of Congress.I like the sound of that :D

Brian4Liberty
Somebody had dirt on McCarthy. He obviously did this under duress because he didn't want his dirty laundry aired out.

Everyone had dirt on McCarthy. His affair was an open "secret" in DC.

More importantly, he didn't have the votes, and he knew it.

Matt Collins
Somebody had dirt on McCarthy. He obviously did this under duress because he didn't want his dirty laundry aired out.No, he dropped out because he couldn't win. He had to get to 218 votes which meant that if 30 Republicans opposed him then he was toast.

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Pundits and media are pushing Paul Ryan now. They are simply working their way down the establishment power chain.

tsai3904
10-08-2015, 11:37 AM
phone calls made a difference

JK/SEA
10-08-2015, 11:41 AM
scenario...

Webster speaker...Massie gets a chair...

shazaaam...

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 11:41 AM
phone calls made a difference

Yep. It kept McCarthy from getting the votes he needed.

Zippyjuan
10-08-2015, 11:45 AM
No, he dropped out because he couldn't win. He had to get to 218 votes which meant that if 30 Republicans opposed him then he was toast.

Agreed. The party is too divided for anybody to get the votes needed for the job (the candidate must win all but about 25 Republican votes to get the job). Now they are looking for a "temporary fix" (ala budget extensions)- somebody to take it for just a short time.

William Tell
10-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Agreed. The party is too divided for anybody to get the votes needed for the job (the candidate must win all but about 25 Republican votes to get the job). Now they are looking for a "temporary fix" (ala budget extensions)- somebody to take it for just a short time.

Maybe they could just pick someone who actually follows the rules, plus doesn't treat everybody else like crap? That's the reasoning behind Massie supporting Webster. I would certainly prefer someone like Massie to actually be speaker, but someone who gives guys like him a fair shake would be better than what we have had.

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Maybe they could just pick someone who actually follows the rules, plus doesn't treat everybody else like crap? That's the reasoning behind Massie supporting Webster. I would certainly prefer someone like Massie to actually be speaker, but someone who gives guys like him a fair shake would be better than what we have had.

Exactly. And it's amazing how much the establishment and their media want to avoid anyone who is fair or will follow regular order. It's all about brute power.

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Even before this Press Release, Wolf Blitzer was on CNN saying no problem, Boehner can just stay.

Statement by Speaker Boehner on the Speaker Election
October 8, 2015|Speaker Boehner's Press Office

WASHINGTON, D.C. – House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) today issued the following statement regarding the election for a new Speaker of the House of Representatives:

“After Leader McCarthy’s announcement, members of the House Republican Conference will not vote today for a new Speaker. As I have said previously, I will serve as Speaker until the House votes to elect a new Speaker. We will announce the date for this election at a later date, and I’m confident we will elect a new Speaker in the coming weeks. Our conference will work together to ensure we have the strongest team possible as we continue to focus on the American people’s priorities.”

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 11:57 AM

There’s a guy out in America who has emails for a massive number of members of Congress and the email addresses of highly influential conservatives outside Congress.

A few days ago, he emailed out to 91 people, including these members of Congress, an email with a series of links to stories alleging a relationship between Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) 61% and Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-NC) 60% of North Carolina. It is worth nothing that the two deny a relationship.

But the email began circulating pretty heavily. Conservatives were buzzing about it. The first line pointed to the current scandal about Denny Hastert and concluded suggesting that if the rumor about McCarthy and his personal life were true, he was a national security risk.
More: http://www.redstate.com/2015/10/08/the-renee-ellmers-rumor-and-kevin-mccarthys-decision/

CPUd
10-08-2015, 12:07 PM
LOL, "we need to postpone the vote because our guy won't win if we vote right now."

Stannis
10-08-2015, 12:09 PM
What the hell is going on? Does this mean that Boehner could potentially remain speaker if nobody gets 218 votes?

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Live: Jeb Bush is saying good things about Daniel Webster (but not surprising due to their Florida connection). And now Jeb can say he is anti-establishment... :rolleyes:

CPUd
10-08-2015, 12:14 PM
These idiots are going to end up asking the Democrats who they want and just go from there.

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 12:14 PM
What the hell is going on? Does this mean that Boehner could potentially remain speaker if nobody gets 218 votes?

Was Boehner's resignation (and effective date) legally binding?

TaftFan
10-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks to Chuck Johnson and Walter Jones for making this happen.

libertyplz
10-08-2015, 12:20 PM

I really don't know anything in regards to procedural votes, but I think Massie was saying a week ago or so that they can make a motion to vacate the chair at anytime, which would force a vote on Boehner and since he clearly doesn't have votes, he would be removed as Speaker. I don't see Boehner lasting any longer than when he said he would be resigning

Zippyjuan
10-08-2015, 12:22 PM

He initially said he intended to leave by the end of October. No- I don't think the date of departure is legally binding.

georgiaboy
10-08-2015, 12:41 PM
These idiots are going to end up asking the Democrats who they want and just go from there.

Hey, if they wanna cross over and vote for Webster, I'm all for bipartisanship.

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2015, 03:45 PM

And it has happened...

John Boehner has reneged on his resignation and will stay as Speaker.

“The speaker will continue serving until another candidate can get 218 votes. In the foreseeable future I don’t see any candidate from either party being able to get 218 votes, so I expect the speaker to continue serving,” said Rep. Carlos Curbelo, Florida Republican. “I hope he stays as long as possible.”

Even more intriguing is that Mr. Boehner could stay even after his retirement from his House seat is effective. There is no requirement that the speaker be a sitting member.

“He will continue serving as speaker until the House elects a new speaker. That’s the way the rules work,” Mr. Curbelo said.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/oct/8/boehner-says-hell-stay-until-replacement-chosen/

TaftFan
10-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Unless Jordan or Hensarling change their minds, we need to stick with Webster.

No to Paul Ryan.

limequat
10-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Well, this is awkward.

TaftFan
10-08-2015, 05:00 PM
"We're staying Webster. Webster could be caretaker. That's the thing about Webster, it wasn't about him it was about the process," said Rep. Raúl Labrador of Idaho, a board member of the Freedom Caucus.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/who-will-be-the-next-speaker-2015-214570#ixzz3o1IvBGrq

jkob
10-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Webster seems like a guy to rally around, even Debbie Wasserman-Schultz praised his professionalism, we want fair play

TaftFan
10-08-2015, 05:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHF9K_EI9M

10-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Pundits and media are pushing Paul Ryan now. They are simply working their way down the establishment power chain.

Meh, I guess that wouldn't be the end of the world. Probably an acceptable compromise for both sides.

And it has happened...

Now that is some real house of cards stuff.

Peace&Freedom
10-08-2015, 08:46 PM
And it has happened...

I believe his opposition can still force a vote to remove him as Speaker.

Mr.NoSmile
10-09-2015, 07:19 AM
I really don't know anything in regards to procedural votes, but I think Massie was saying a week ago or so that they can make a motion to vacate the chair at anytime, which would force a vote on Boehner and since he clearly doesn't have votes, he would be removed as Speaker. I don't see Boehner lasting any longer than when he said he would be resigning

Not if he keeps trying to prop up Paul Ryan.

Brian4Liberty
10-09-2015, 08:05 AM
The media has decided that Paul Ryan is going to be the next Speaker.

givemeliberty2010
10-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Why are 218 votes (the majority of all the House) necessary to be the Republican choice? Cannot they choose a nominee before the full House vote? Obviously, since the position is based more on forming coalitions than a senatorial or presidential nomination, a simple plurality would probably not be enough. But what if the requirement for nomination was two-thirds of the 247 Republicans?

Peace&Freedom
10-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Why are 218 votes (the majority of all the House) necessary to be the Republican choice? Cannot they choose a nominee before the full House vote? Obviously, since the position is based more on forming coalitions than a senatorial or presidential nomination, a simple plurality would probably not be enough. But what if the requirement for nomination was two-thirds of the 247 Republicans?

The Constitution was not written with parties in mind, which is why it specifies electing a Speaker based on the majority of the entire body. So technically, a Democrat could be voted in as Speaker of a Republican controlled House, or vice versa.

Zippyjuan
10-09-2015, 11:57 AM

The Speaker has to get more than half the members of the House- not of his own party- to vote for them. If all the Democrats vote against him, then he needs that percent of the Republicans to vote for him. If he can get Democrats to vote for him, he can win with fewer Republican votes. Actually the Speaker does not even have to be a member of the House of Representatives as long as at least half of the members agree on his election.

CPUd
10-09-2015, 02:03 PM
The Speaker has to get more than half the members of the House- not of his own party- to vote for them. If all the Democrats vote against him, then he needs that percent of the Republicans to vote for him. If he can get Democrats to vote for him, he can win with fewer Republican votes. Actually the Speaker does not even have to be a member of the House of Representatives as long as at least half of the members agree on his election.

This is what could be called "meta-partisanship". When the press talks about it, they assume 0 Democrats will vote for a Republican, thus their votes are irrelevant. It could be quite possible that a Democrat (or Republican) crossing over to vote for Speaker (2 heartbeats away from POTUS) is a serious no- they would get booted off committees, no one would co-sponsor for them, they will get primary'd, etc.

William Tell
10-09-2015, 02:16 PM
This is what could be called "meta-partisanship". When the press talks about it, they assume 0 Democrats will vote for a Republican, thus their votes are irrelevant. It could be quite possible that a Democrat (or Republican) crossing over to vote for Speaker (2 heartbeats away from POTUS) is a serious no- they would get booted off committees, no one would co-sponsor for them, they will get primary'd, etc.
Its worth noting that Joe Straus (R) the current speaker of the Texas house won his position with support from Democrats, and initially only a handful of RINO's. However I think the dynamic is different in Washington right now than it was in Texas several years ago.

givemeliberty2010
10-09-2015, 10:39 PM
The Constitution was not written with parties in mind, which is why it specifies electing a Speaker based on the majority of the entire body. So technically, a Democrat could be voted in as Speaker of a Republican controlled House, or vice versa.I understand the Constitutional situation here. The same logic would apply to general elections, in which Republicans can vote for Democrats and vice versa. But, to get around that, parties came up with nominees to tell the members who gets the most support inside the party. Why cannot the House do the same thing?

givemeliberty2010
10-09-2015, 10:40 PM
The Speaker has to get more than half the members of the House- not of his own party- to vote for them. If all the Democrats vote against him, then he needs that percent of the Republicans to vote for him. If he can get Democrats to vote for him, he can win with fewer Republican votes. Actually the Speaker does not even have to be a member of the House of Representatives as long as at least half of the members agree on his election.You are talking about the actual vote, which would correspond to a general election. I am talking about the party choice, which would correspond with the primary nomination.