PDA

View Full Version : Jobs up only for immigrants/Discrimination by national origin

kahless
10-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Jobs up only for immigrants, +14,000, down 262,000 for 'native-borns'
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jobs-up-only-for-immigrants-14000-down-262000-for-native-borns/article/2573290

For a third month in a row, native-born Americans saw their job numbers tumble while immigrants experience solid gains.

According to the montly Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers just released, "foreign-born" jobs numbers increased by 14,000, while those for "native-born" Americans fell off a cliff, by 262,000.

Over the past three months, the job numbers for native-born have dropped by nearly 1 million, exactly the number of jobs President Obama promised to add when he ran for re-election in 2012.

Increasingly, U.S. IT workers are alleging discrimination
Discrimination by national origin challenges H-1B use
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2988324/careers/increasingly-u-s-it-workers-are-alleging-discrimination.html

Some U.S. IT workers who have been replaced with H-1B contractors are alleging discrimination and are going to court. They are doing so in increasing numbers.
The contractors often work for IT services firms that employ large numbers of H-1B workers. Most of these workers are from India and regional countries. This practice of replacing U.S. workers with foreign workers constitutes national origin discrimination, say its critics.

kahless
10-02-2015, 08:35 PM
One more today.

Toys 'R' Us Used H-1B Program to Replace American Workers
Updated: Fri, Oct 2nd 2015
https://www.numbersusa.com/news/toys-r-us-used-h1b-to-replace-american-workers

According to the report, the H-1B workers shadowed Toys 'R' Us employees and created manuals for their jobs. One American accountant who had been with the company for almost 15 years said, "She just pulled up a chair in front of my computer. She shadowed me everywhere, even to the ladies' room."

By June, the temporary workers had created manuals for the jobs of 67 people, mostly in accounting. Then the workers returned to India to train people to perform those jobs in India. The American employees were then laid off, including some that had been with the company for more than a decade.

Anti Federalist
10-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Yay globalism!

Philhelm
10-02-2015, 09:17 PM
I worked as a paralegal in an immigration law office (although today was my last day...hurray!), and while most of my experience was with individual/family based immigration petitions, I have had some experience with the business based visas.

What happens is that when a company wants to hire the nonimmigrant, it must offer at least the "Prevailing Wage" for the position, and the company must whine to the USCIS that it can't find an American to do the job. Of course, it's one big game as the company will tailor the employment ad to the nonimmigrant's background, thereby disqualifying other perfectly qualified applicants. In addition, the company must meet certain advertisement requirements so that Americans have a chance to apply. Say, a radio ad at 3:00 a.m., or a newspaper ad in an obscure newspaper. For the most part, the companies want to hire the nonimmigrants since they can pay them less than market value and the nonimmigrant is beholden to the company since the visa only allows for employment at that company and for that position.

kahless
10-02-2015, 09:25 PM
I worked as a paralegal in an immigration law office (although today was my last day...hurray!), and while most of my experience was with individual/family based immigration petitions, I have had some experience with the business based visas.

What happens is that when a company wants to hire the nonimmigrant, it must offer at least the "Prevailing Wage" for the position, and the company must whine to the USCIS that it can't find an American to do the job. Of course, it's one big game as the company will tailor the employment ad to the nonimmigrant's background, thereby disqualifying other perfectly qualified applicants. In addition, the company must meet certain advertisement requirements so that Americans have a chance to apply. Say, a radio ad at 3:00 a.m., or a newspaper ad in an obscure newspaper. For the most part, the companies want to hire the nonimmigrants since they can pay them less than market value and the nonimmigrant is beholden to the company since the visa only allows for employment at that company and for that position.

Kind of like a modern day watered down version of indentured servants.

Brian4Liberty
10-02-2015, 09:31 PM

All very accurate, but we must also acknowledge the most basic human instinct, which is to favor people who are the same. The hiring process has been taken over by H1Bs and new immigrants. Recruiting, hiring managers, peer interviews, all controlled by people who want more of their own. In defense of corporatists like Gates and Zuckerberg, upper management is almost always ignorant of these facts. They are more interested in the bottom line and employee control concerns.