PDA

View Full Version : PurplePac quits [mod note: media spin]

liberty_nc
09-29-2015, 01:03 PM
PurplePac has quit raising money for Rand, claiming he has abandoned libertarianism.

Okaloosa
09-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Arguably I think they used him to make money and never did anything, this was damage control to prevent this from being exposed. This organization was never cut out to do any work to begin with.

dannno
09-29-2015, 01:15 PM
PurplePac has quit raising money for Rand, claiming he has abandoned libertarianism.

Based on what exactly?

Kade
09-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Curious where that half million Crane raised went...

Okaloosa
09-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Heads up Purple PAC is being ran by Austin Peterson now. Peterson was working with them, they share his content, and the Purple PAC Facebook Page's only like is Austin Peterson. I got banned within one minute from commenting just now too.

libertyplz
09-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Snippets from Politico article so people don't have to go around looking and clicking the links:

In a Tuesday telephone interview, Ed Crane, who oversees the group, PurplePAC, accused Paul of abandoning his libertarian views -- and suggested it was a primary reason the Kentucky senator had plummeted in the polls.
Story Continued Below
“I have stopped raising money for him until I see the campaign correct its problems,” said Crane, who co-founded the Cato Institute think tank and serves as its president emeritus. “I wasn’t going to raise money to spend on a futile crusade.”
“I don’t see the point in it right now,” he added.

The libertarian views that catapulted Paul to national prominence had “disappeared,” Crane said, leaving many of Paul's longtime backers miffed.

“I want to grab Rand by the lapels and say, ‘What are you doing?’”
Crane said. “I’m a big fan of Rand Paul. But whatever motivates his campaign, I don’t get it.

politico.com/story/2015/09/rand-paul-superpac-purplepac-dark-214221#ixzz3n9nL8APg

Seems odd to me to pull the plug now when it seemed like Rand has already started moving back in the Libertarian direction in the last few weeks (to me anyways), makes me wonder if there is more going on behind the scenes.

timosman
09-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Seems odd to me to pull the plug now when it seemed like Rand has already started moving back in the Libertarian direction in the last few weeks (to me anyways), makes me wonder if there is more going on behind the scenes.

Of course there is. Paul is being pushed out of the race, in many cases it is not overt but rather subtle, like some messages on this forum in the last few days.

Okaloosa
09-29-2015, 01:39 PM
Go to the Purple PAC Facebook page you will see that Austin Peterson did the content before and it is his page they like. Peterson is now running for President. Go to their page yourself, trying commenting too and see how long until you get banned.

https://www.facebook.com/ThePurplePAC

NewRightLibertarian
09-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Crane is a real lowlife. Apparently he bowed out of CATO to keep some embarrassing and possibly criminal dealings from coming to light. Rand messed up by ever allowing his good name to be associated with this asswipe in the first place.

Liberty74
09-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Of course there is. Paul is being pushed out of the race, in many cases it is not overt but rather subtle, like some messages on this forum in the last few days.

And that's the whole point of Trump. To drown out the real anti establishment vote. What? You think Clinton called Trump the day before he announced to discuss boxers or briefs?

Now you have the media saying Paul is the next to drop out and FOX asking Rand if he is dropping out just like they did Ron. It's like dejavu all over again.

orenbus
09-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Glad we didn't submit to the social media contest they were running, did they ever end up rewarding anyone with the $10k award? Never heard anything about that and it's close to a month later.

Okaloosa
09-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Glad we didn't submit to the social media contest they were running, did they ever end up rewarding anyone with the $10k award? Never heard anything about that and it's close to a month later.

Nope they used Rand's name and never honred their word in a contest they had. They will not, Austin Peterson is a scoundrel. Go to the Purple PAC Page.

https://www.facebook.com/ThePurplePAC

Sola_Fide
09-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Anyone who thinks "Rand was a libertarian, but now I'm disappointed in him because he isn't pure enough", is either a truly misinformed person or putting you on.

eleganz
09-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Wow that is f'd up. When they first started the PAC, many things were PROMISED. Now this quick 180 tells me that they were not planning to support Rand all along.

Austin better have a good explanation for this.

hells_unicorn
09-29-2015, 04:33 PM
I never gave PurplePac any money, and I'm glad I never did. Granted, I don't make enough to max out on donations directly to Rand's campaign, so there's no point in me giving to a SuperPAC regardless.

P.S. - It's cute how Politico is trying to make hay out of this. I never really liked to cared about any of the people involved in this PAC, and it sure as hell isn't changing my mind.

Feeding the Abscess
09-29-2015, 04:45 PM
If Rand isn't libertarian enough to support now, he wasn't libertarian enough to support when PurplePAC started.

Wilf
09-29-2015, 04:57 PM
https://reason.com/blog/2015/09/29/politico-overstates-his-dropping-out-ins

Seems like Politico has overstated; Crane just has not spent a ton on Rand yet. Also, Kibbe super pac has raised 3 million.

dannno
09-29-2015, 05:10 PM
Anyone who thinks "Rand was a libertarian, but now I'm disappointed in him because he isn't pure enough", is either a truly misinformed person or putting you on.

I can understand the sentiment of some people leaning in that direction a long time ago, but to come to that conclusion now makes no sense - the timing is just way off, I'm not buying it.

LatinsforPaul
09-29-2015, 05:56 PM
UPDATE (7:00 pm EST): Following this article’s publication, Sergio Gor — Sen. Paul’s spokesman — issued the following statement to TheDC: “It is untruthful for a story to say that this Super PAC stopped supporting Senator Paul, when in fact they don’t seem to have lifted a finger in the first place.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/09/29/super-pac-pulls-plug-on-pauls-presidential-push/#ixzz3nAuvXU3v

lly4now
09-29-2015, 06:01 PM
I initially read this thread as PurplePAC abandoning Paul, but that's stretching the truth. I found that Reason article insightful. Some other noteworthy quotes:

"Even Crane agrees Rand isn't going away, and still holds out hope for him. Quitting early is "not who he is. I think he's going to hang in and do better than people realize," especially with Iowa independents."

"Crane says he can't see fit to ask his friends to give money for Paul "until he recognizes or his campaign staff recognizes that there are maybe 10 candidates out there and only one has this combination of peace and free enterprise....yet a plurality of Republican voters agree with that point of view.""

Matt Collins
09-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Something stinks

Mike4Freedom
09-29-2015, 06:29 PM
http://purplepac.org/

Looks like they are still supporting Rand. Why do people on this site read bullshit media stories and post them here as truth?

09-29-2015, 06:58 PM
Considering I never heard of this PAC before, it can't be much of a loss.

LatinsforPaul
09-29-2015, 07:26 PM

Looks like they are still supporting Rand. Why do people on this site read bullshit media stories and post them here as truth?

It is...

Pro-Rand Paul PAC isn’t shutting down, just asking Paul to be more libertarian (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/09/29/pro-rand-paul-pac-isnt-shutting-down-just-asking-paul-to-be-more-libertarian/)

Verrater
09-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Something stinks

I haven't posted here in a long time, so forgive that but I'm active on facebook.
Someone mentioned rpf so I thought i'd drop this bit of info here.
https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00544569&cycle=2016

Over a million raised and very little spent.

Raises tons of money using Rands name
Spends barely any of it (reportedly)
Talks shit about Rands campaign causes bad press
Supposedly stops fundraising

Stinks to high heaven indeed.

erowe1
09-29-2015, 08:12 PM

What part of the OP do you think is not true?

adam220891
09-29-2015, 09:12 PM
I haven't posted here in a long time, so forgive that but I'm active on facebook.
Someone mentioned rpf so I thought i'd drop this bit of info here.
https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00544569&cycle=2016

Over a million raised and very little spent.

Raises tons of money using Rands name
Spends barely any of it (reportedly)
Talks shit about Rands campaign causes bad press
Supposedly stops fundraising

Stinks to high heaven indeed.

Seriously. The hell is wrong with this picture?

hells_unicorn
09-29-2015, 09:39 PM
OK, I just got the memo about this being media spin and I'm going to do a partial retraction regarding Purple PAC's people, though frankly I still have some massive problems with how some of their people were so Gung-ho for Sarvis. If these PACs have brought in money that they plan to spend in support of Rand, more power to them.

P.S. - Politico is now on my shit-list as far as media outlets go, though I was never terribly keen on them to begin with. This is almost as bad as that B.S. we went through with that forked-tongue snake-in-the-grass James Kirchick back in 2008 and 2012.

JenH88
09-29-2015, 10:55 PM
Wth, something real sneaky is going on.

Paul4Prez
09-29-2015, 11:21 PM
Makes you wonder who they like better than Rand.

JenH88
09-29-2015, 11:37 PM
Makes you wonder who they like better than Rand.

The only person listed as "liked" by the purplepac facebook page???

Not finding any info on the "winners" of the contest they held in august for the best ideas to get rand elected either. Makes you wonder who those ideas gathered were really intended to benefit. Fishy fishy.