PDA

View Full Version : Practicality of Rand's "Arm the Kurds" strategy?

BenIsForRon
09-28-2015, 05:26 PM
I'm just wondering, has there been much written on this by any foreign policy experts? I'm wondering if the potential complications have been addressed, like:

-Is this actually possible to do without harming our relationship with Turkey?
-Could we do this without making the Kurd/Turk divide even worse?
-Would this actually help defeat ISIS or just secure the Kurdish regions?

Appreciate any links you might have.

09-28-2015, 05:38 PM
The Turks don't oppose the US arming the Kurds as strongly as before. They now see the Kurdistan as a buffer between IS and Turkey.

Rand's proposal is very practical. Let the Kurds sell oil, take their money and give them weapons.

The Kurds armed with heavy weapons could defeat IS. The Kurds are defending their homeland, that's more of a motivation than IS who are mostly mercenaries from elsewhere.

65fastback2+2
09-28-2015, 05:39 PM
this is one of the better articles on the issue: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/29/congress-arm-kurds_n_7647068.html

Both Iraq and Turkey have Kurdish people. Both are worried that giving weapons to the Kurds will increase their ideas of becoming their own state.

On the flip side, the Kurds are the ones willing to fight. We actually give the Kurds weapons now, but because they have to be funneled through Iraq, Baghdad keeps holding them hostage.

I do believe it would greatly increase the likelyhood that ISIS is taken out.

The weirdest part is, the Kurds already have their own region, government, heck, they even have a President. They are let to act autonomously....except to a point. Kind like the Feds do to the states here.

misconstrued
09-28-2015, 05:41 PM
I'm curious what might be written about this, also. I think the biggest reason we don't do this is that it will piss off Turkey. It's a shame that back in the day when they were carving up the middle east into countries they didn't do it more along tribal lines. The world would be a much more peaceful place today.

luctor-et-emergo
09-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Yes because Turkey mostly has a problem with Turkish Kurds and not Iraqi Kurds, different people really.

It would probably get better as there would be Kurds moving from Turkey into Iraq, at least, that's my best guess. Even though they are different people they are of the same background.

It would secure the Kurdish region mostly. These people though, deserve to have their own country. It's a part in defeating ISIS. The rest of the countries around there have to pitch in as well.

cindy25
09-28-2015, 05:54 PM
Turkey is not our ally , in the same way Saudi Arabia is not our ally. they never were.

as far as the Kurds, recognize them, sell them whatever-but not one dime in aid.

Danke
09-28-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm curious what might be written about this, also. I think the biggest reason we don't do this is that it will piss off Turkey. It's a shame that back in the day when they were carving up the middle east into countries they didn't do it more along tribal lines. The world would be a much more peaceful place today.

It was intentional. The is the old British Empire model, divide and conquer.

Danke
09-28-2015, 06:00 PM
I'm just wondering, has there been much written on this by any foreign policy experts? I'm wondering if the potential complications have been addressed, like:

Appreciate any links you might have.

The Turks are not fighting all the Kurds, just the PKK, and that is a small faction. The Turks do not wish to lose territory, so overall probably weary of arming Kurds. But remember many Kurds are Turkish and that is where their loyalty lies. BTW, I flew with a Turkish Officer who was a Kurd.