PDA

View Full Version : Federal Bill Offers One-Two Punch Against Marijuana Meddling, Asset Forfeiture

Brian4Liberty
09-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Federal Bill Offers One-Two Punch Against Marijuana Meddling, Asset Forfeiture (https://reason.com/blog/2015/09/24/federal-bill-offers-one-two-punch-agains)
Would forbid use of seized funds to perpetuate drug war.
By Scott Shackford - Sep. 24, 2015

Reps. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) and Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) have joined up for an interesting proposal to scale back both the drug war and asset forfeiture on the federal level. Rather than trying to control how law enforcement agencies collect or distribute seized assets from busts, they want to reduce some incentives by controlling how the seized assets may be used.

The two of them have partnered together to introduce legislation that would prohibit the use of money from federal asset forfeiture program to participate in the Drug Enforcement Administration's (DEA) marijuana eradication program. H.R. 3518 would order "beginning in fiscal year 2015, and for each fiscal year thereafter, no amounts in the Fund may be used for the Domestic Cannabis Suppression/Eradication Program of the Drug Enforcement Administration, or any substantially similar program." It would also prohibit seized property from being transferred to law enforcement agencies if that property would be used for purposes of participating in the marijuana eradication program.
More: http://reason.com/blog/2015/09/24/federal-bill-offers-one-two-punch-agains

ClydeCoulter
09-24-2015, 08:43 PM
I always hate it when roads are closed and I have to go from Indiana to California via Alabama. Not that I don't like Alabama, it just makes the trip a little longer. But, it is a scenic drive, I guess. :)

Bern
09-25-2015, 07:01 AM
This would be a step in the right direction. The civil asset forfeiture system violates the most fundamental principles of property rights and due process. It is a tool for tyranny.

tod evans
09-25-2015, 07:37 AM
No matter how good it sounds more legislation isn't the answer.

Repeal all laws and edicts that give government the power to confiscate property without a trial by jury.

Trying to out legislate legislators hasn't ever worked out well.