PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Republican Foreign Policy

Unregistered1
09-22-2015, 07:54 PM
As a registered Republican, I am concerned about the neoconservative influence within the party's foreign policy. I identify most with Rand Paul's foreign policy as it seems truly to espouse "peace through strength" without arming people today who will be our enemies tomorrow. Besides from Rand, which other Republican candidates if elected would not allow the neoconservative influence within their administration's foreign policy?

rg17
09-22-2015, 08:21 PM
Rand is the only one who doesn't have a neocon foreign policy.

oyarde
09-22-2015, 10:39 PM
As a registered Republican, I am concerned about the neoconservative influence within the party's foreign policy. I identify most with Rand Paul's foreign policy as it seems truly to espouse "peace through strength" without arming people today who will be our enemies tomorrow. Besides from Rand, which other Republican candidates if elected would not allow the neoconservative influence within their administration's foreign policy?

I will be voting for Rand in the primary . I suggest everyone else should do the same .

Ronin Truth
09-23-2015, 08:15 AM
I'll SWAG, pretty much the same as 2015 and before.

Zippyjuan
09-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Foreign policy of most of the current Republican candidates:

Speak loudly and carry a big stick.

More defense spending and threaten more of those we don't like.

Zippyjuan
09-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Rand is the only one who doesn't have a neocon foreign policy.

http://www.newsweek.com/what-rand-paul-thinks-about-defense-spending-320291

What Rand Paul Thinks About Defense Spending

There's no question that Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is one of the few bright spots in American politics, bringing a libertarianish policy orientation to questions about the size, scope and spending of the federal government. That's one of the reasons he's been widely hailed as "the most interesting man in..." the Senate, politics, the country, you name it, by a wide host of folks (including Reason).

Alone among leading GOP candidates for the 2016 presidential nomination, Paul has criticized the wild defense spending and demonstrably failed foreign policy initiatives of interventionists in both parties. That's earned him the ire of characters at the war-drum-beaters at places such as the Heritage Foundation and the American Enterprise Institute and from many of his fellow Republicans.

To Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.), who never met a country he didn't want to arm, bomb or protect with U.S. troops (depending on his blood sugar levels, it could be the same country in any given month), Paul was one of those "wacko birds," folks who questioned the military-surveillance-industrial complex.

Not only did Paul want to cut defense spending, he wanted Congress to declare war when we, you know, went to war! What a kook!

Back in 2011, Paul introduced a budget plan that would have reduced military spending and troop size, eliminated many overseas bases and, most importantly, started a long-overdue conversation about what the U.S. military should look like and act like in a post-Cold War world where the major dangers to U.S. security came less from state actors and more from non-state provocateurs and terrorists.
More at link.

oyarde
09-23-2015, 10:36 PM
Foreign policy of most of the current Republican candidates:

Speak loudly and carry a big stick.

More defense spending and threaten more of those we don't like.

Same as the Dems ( Commie Party ) .