PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Manager Chip Englander on Rand's Iowa strategy

Gage
09-21-2015, 09:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4q8qqZQDbs&t=26m8s

Start around 26:08. This is a very important part of Rand's strategy, and is something that I've been trying to reassure people of for a while. If you look at most of Rand's top staff, it's all focused on ground game. Especially in a caucus, this is incredibly important. Chip Englander was campaign manager for Bruce Rauner, who was elected Governor of a blue state, Illinois, in the 2014 election, primarily because of ground game. Several others from this campaign are in top positions in the campaign.

If you also add in Concerned American Voters, headed by Frazee and Kibbe, which is focused solely on door to door, phone from home, get out the vote efforts, it's clear that Rand Paul has the best ground game out of any of the candidates. Students for Rand's operations as well will play a crucial role in getting young people to the caucus.

Just look at the straw poll in Mackinac last week, it's a clear example of ground game and flooding the vote with support when it actually matters. Summer before the election does not matter (polling) except for building infrastructure and ground game for when it does matter.

kbs021
09-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Sounds like they "get it." I am extremely excited for the campaign in Iowa. The 600 student rally a week or so ago and the straw poll in MI continue to drive the point that we have an incredible ground game home. I think the debate will only strengthen that message. Campus organization is going to be gigantic come caucus night. Let's get it going!

Okaloosa
09-21-2015, 10:06 PM
This is true, but if you are like me you are not in one of the first four states. You can help out at a critical straw poll were a win will give much needed headlines and take away from the fake polls of elderly republicans in states that don't vote early. We need your help in Washington DC this Friday and Saturday.

Friday September 25th
Straw Poll Voting - West Registration and Exhibit Hall 12:00-7:45 PM
AFTERNOON PLENARY SESSION - Regency Ballroom 2:00-5:00 PM
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), 2016 Republican Presidential Candidate
(Along with several other speakers)
Saturday September 26th
Straw Poll Voting - West Registration and Exhibit Hall 7:00 AM-12:00 PM
Tickets are $50 for students 21 and under (You may also be able to get a scholarship)
One day tickets are $75

Register here! (https://microsite.frcaction.org/get.cfm?c=CHECKOUT&dmy=F33C323F-9390-56D0-6406122AD99E00AC&CFID=54231187&CFTOKEN=d7e556db08cdfdbf-ECA2E6B4-03E1-DB9B-FCACA9D2D479570C)

timosman
09-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Check Jeb Bush manager, Danny Diaz, former McCain campaign manager - http://arizonaspolitics.blogspot.com/2015/06/managers-of-jeb-bushs-campaign-and.html , he appears after Chip. He seems to be totally disconnected from reality.

PaleoPaul
09-21-2015, 10:09 PM
I hope they're registering voters like crazy.

kbs021
09-21-2015, 10:13 PM
I hear they are DEFINITELY registering voters. They seem to have that concept completely covered. That alone is huge. I am sure Ron missed out on some key voters in certain states because of registering in time.

PaleoPaul
09-21-2015, 10:18 PM
However, they can't rely on students alone. They need to get professional Millennials, a substantial portion of Gen X'ers (VERY important especially considering Rand is Gen X and would be our first Gen X President), and a chunk of Boomers and Silents as well.

CPUd
09-21-2015, 10:19 PM
I hear they are DEFINITELY registering voters. They seem to have that concept completely covered. That alone is huge. I am sure Ron missed out on some key voters in certain states because of registering in time.

Yes, this was a known issue in 2012. They were coming out to the campuses, but not getting registered.

Gage
09-21-2015, 10:24 PM
Also, having gone to dozens of events in Iowa, I can very much vouch for the Iowa campaign's team focus on specifically identifying supporters, not only just getting their name, email and phone number, but also getting them signed up as precinct captains, finding out which issues are most important, utilizing the toppest of top notch identification software used by groups like Koch Bros.

There was an article recently that highlighted how an event should be run, and stated that Rand's was the best at making sure to drive each of the intended points of a campaign stop home. It's great to have people see Rand speak, but at literally every Iowa event, Rand poses for photos with each attendee before speaking, delivers a unifying speech that focuses primarily on promoting his own ideas, introduces his Iowa campaign head and tells people to wait around to hear him speak. And then his Iowa campaign head gives a very convincing speech to sign up now, not wait until the final quarter (like a football game) and be a part of Team Rand from the very beginning, and tells the audience that everyone that signs up will get a special Iowa Rand lapel pin, and tells them to wear it everywhere they go.

After the event they have a table full of sign up cards that allow you to indicate how you'd like to help the campaign, including become a precinct captain. It's really a top notch ground game, and I don't remember seeing this much organization even in 2012 for Ron.

Jackie Moon
09-21-2015, 10:24 PM
Start around 26:08. This is a very important part of Rand's strategy, and is something that I've been trying to reassure people of for a while. If you look at most of Rand's top staff, it's all focused on ground game. Especially in a caucus, this is incredibly important. Chip Englander was campaign manager for Bruce Rauner, who was elected Governor of a blue state, Illinois, in the 2014 election, primarily because of ground game. Several others from this campaign are in top positions in the campaign.

If you also add in Concerned American Voters, headed by Frazee and Kibbe, which is focused solely on door to door, phone from home, get out the vote efforts, it's clear that Rand Paul has the best ground game out of any of the candidates. Students for Rand's operations as well will play a crucial role in getting young people to the caucus.

Just look at the straw poll in Mackinac last week, it's a clear example of ground game and flooding the vote with support when it actually matters. Summer before the election does not matter (polling) except for building infrastructure and ground game for when it does matter.

Yep, completely agree with everything you said, and Chip said in the interview.

Like in 2012, there can be a bunch of candidates at this point but few actually have the ground game capable of both turning out voters in Iowa... and the infrastructure set up to be able to continue in the states afterwards.

Rand has and is building a great ground game to turn out caucus voters, and is doing the work now in states that come after Iowa and New Hampshire.

And yes, summer 2015 polling means nothing to February and March 2016 caucuses.

On today's date:

kbs021
09-21-2015, 10:25 PM
The students for Rand organization is EXTREMELY organized.. They have a leadership chain on campuses that are very direct. They actually have dorm leaders which I think is exciting because that sounds incredible on point. This is an organized group that goes out and gets sign up, registers voters, and probably will have organized transportation. They have debate parties, meetings, accountability, etc. This is harnessing the energy that the ron paul campaign had.

PaleoPaul
09-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Also, having gone to dozens of events in Iowa, I can very much vouch for the Iowa campaign's team focus on specifically identifying supporters, not only just getting their name, email and phone number, but also getting them signed up as precinct captains, finding out which issues are most important, utilizing the toppest of top notch identification software used by groups like Koch Bros.

There was an article recently that highlighted how an event should be run, and stated that Rand's was the best at making sure to drive each of the intended points of a campaign stop home. It's great to have people see Rand speak, but at literally every Iowa event, Rand poses for photos with each attendee before speaking, delivers a unifying speech that focuses primarily on promoting his own ideas, introduces his Iowa campaign head and tells people to wait around to hear him speak. And then his Iowa campaign head gives a very convincing speech to sign up now, not wait until the final quarter (like a football game) and be a part of Team Rand from the very beginning, and tells the audience that everyone that signs up will get a special Iowa Rand lapel pin, and tells them to wear it everywhere they go.

After the event they have a table full of sign up cards that allow you to indicate how you'd like to help the campaign, including become a precinct captain. It's really a top notch ground game, and really didn't see this much organization even in 2012 for Ron.
Wow, this campaign infrastructure sounds like Obama's in 2008 and 2012. VERY well-done!

I just hope we can prove Trump and the talking (air)heads wrong and win this thang...

timosman
09-21-2015, 11:05 PM
The real question is how are they going to deal with the establishment shenanigans ? Do they have a strategy for this ?

FSP-Rebel
09-21-2015, 11:28 PM

After the event they have a table full of sign up cards that allow you to indicate how you'd like to help the campaign, including become a precinct captain. It's really a top notch ground game, and I don't remember seeing this much organization even in 2012 for Ron.

Powerful, thanks for that.

Yehudi
09-21-2015, 11:41 PM
I thought in Iowa you can register at the caucus?

RabbitMan
09-21-2015, 11:49 PM
My main worry was never the ground game or strategy of the campaign--it's the money.

I hope we can continue to finance this thing. If they can express that they have a plan and solidify at least 10% of the vote in the coming months I'm set for the long haul. But you have to wonder how long they can finance everything...

Crashland
09-21-2015, 11:52 PM
Is there anything non-students can do to help Students for Rand, other than just donating money to the campaign? If there's anything the slightly older grassroots can do to help motivate and support the Students for Rand it could go a long way.

eleganz
09-22-2015, 12:28 AM
Phone from home is what brings all of our national activism to the front door of Iowa, NH, and Nevada.

GET ON PHONE FROM HOME.

Bastiat's The Law
09-22-2015, 12:44 AM
One catch.

Students don't win Iowa caucuses.

carlton
09-22-2015, 12:51 AM
One catch.

Tis the season of breaking all previously established political rules.

groverblue
09-22-2015, 01:01 AM
After watching the entire video I have to say that Carson will be the hardest to beat. Looks like he has a solid ground game.

PaleoPaul
09-22-2015, 01:14 AM
One catch.

Hence why I said he needs to recruit the Millennials who have already graduated from college and are working, those from Generation X (Rand's generation), and a small chunk of Boomers and Silents.

timosman
09-22-2015, 01:34 AM
After watching the entire video I have to say that Carson will be the hardest to beat. Looks like he has a solid ground game.

You have to be kidding

PaleoPaul
09-22-2015, 01:37 AM
lol, Carson? The guy can barely stay awake during debates. You think he can get thousands of voters to rally for him for an entire evening?

notsure
09-22-2015, 01:43 AM
um uh uh um uh ..Jeb's uh campaign manager um is um driving me uh nuts.

Liberty74
09-22-2015, 04:12 AM

Key

Liberty74
09-22-2015, 04:18 AM
One catch.

Exactly. Old religious voters DO. And if Chip doesn't realized that, he should be fired IMO. Who is this guy anyway?

65% or so voters in the Republican Iowa caucus in 2012 were 45 and up which is the norm...if Rand is not competitive with them, all the students in the world or in Iowa won't matter. Some of you are going to be in shock and need therapy because getting 10,000 students (mainly 17-24) in Iowa isn't going to happy. I'm not being a debby downer, being realistic. Ron didn't even come close to getting 10,000 students and that was the only places he campaigned, hence failed.

Go after that damn OLD vote and let the students carry you over...

LatinsforPaul
09-22-2015, 04:40 AM
One catch.

Maybe students with their parents and relatives do. ;)

MrGoose
09-22-2015, 05:13 AM
He made the point that this year it's different since school will be in session as the caucus is in February and not January (when school is on vacation). Although I agree, 10,000 students seems like a lot of people. How many colleges are even in Iowa? Looks like there's about 60 according to wikipedia. I see there's a lot of students and I believe it's doable, but it'll be really hard. Going by history, Rand is going to need 30,000 votes to win Iowa and Ron got 26,000 in 2012.

I think we need Ron in Iowa. I know he's older and probably tired, but he can appeal to older people more than his son. Rand needs almost all of Ron's old supporters AND the 10,000 students to win.

Liberty74
09-22-2015, 05:36 AM
The real question is how are they going to deal with the establishment shenanigans ? Do they have a strategy for this ?

This too. Something Ron and his campaign did not do when Fox and all the right wing talk radio went after him in December bumping him out of first to third.

The Clinton campaign was very good at putting out fires. I forget what that strategy was called but Rand and his people better have one.

Liberty74
09-22-2015, 05:48 AM
He made the point that this year it's different since school will be in session as the caucus is in February and not January (when school is on vacation). Although I agree, 10,000 students seems like a lot of people. How many colleges are even in Iowa? Looks like there's about 60 according to wikipedia. I see there's a lot of students and I believe it's doable, but it'll be really hard. Going by history, Rand is going to need 30,000 votes to win Iowa and Ron got 26,000 in 2012.

I think we need Ron in Iowa. I know he's older and probably tired, but he can appeal to older people more than his son. Rand needs almost all of Ron's old supporters AND the 10,000 students to win.

The out of state students who were on winter break in 2012 CANNOT vote in Iowa. If already registered, they can only vote in their home state. So I'm not buying this "school will be in" theory. Doesn't add up.

Chip said 120K students in Iowa. The two biggest schools cause I looked it up has around 70K combined. About 15% are foriegn or minority students. You can scratch them out. Take out the out of state students and that 120K is now below 100K. Then you have to find prob 20K students to caucus in a Relublican caucus, register them and hope half show up. You don't sign up 10K and say done. Only a fraction of supporters show up. It's why polling companies use "likely" voters vs registered voters which produces a totally different outcome.

Strategy should be to go after the 65% of the people who vote the 45 and up crowd. Then rely on the students to bring you over the top. You will need the old vote in NH too.

Liberty74
09-22-2015, 05:52 AM

Yet nationally Carson is declining. Recent CNN poll has him going from 17% to 12% after his sleepy debate when he speaks. Meaning he lost almost 1/3 of his support.

Badger Paul
09-22-2015, 06:51 AM
Organization is important but people aren't going to bust their tails for a candidate who is at two or three percent in the polls by the time the caucuses roll around. Political machinery in human and humanity is fickle. So a steady in the polls would be nice but also, Rand has to continue to hit the themes that make him popular among the targeted group of voters he's trying to reach, otherwise they'll find other candidates or just not bother. The last debate was a good first step towards this but he needs to continue.

kbs021
09-22-2015, 07:16 AM
The out of state students who were on winter break in 2012 CANNOT vote in Iowa. If already registered, they can only vote in their home state. So I'm not buying this "school will be in" theory. Doesn't add up.

Chip said 120K students in Iowa. The two biggest schools cause I looked it up has around 70K combined. About 15% are foriegn or minority students. You can scratch them out. Take out the out of state students and that 120K is now below 100K. Then you have to find prob 20K students to caucus in a Relublican caucus, register them and hope half show up. You don't sign up 10K and say done. Only a fraction of supporters show up. It's why polling companies use "likely" voters vs registered voters which produces a totally different outcome.

Strategy should be to go after the 65% of the people who vote the 45 and up crowd. Then rely on the students to bring you over the top. You will need the old vote in NH too.

We are also targeting previous Ron supporters in these states. "You don't sign up 10K and say done. Only a fraction of supporters show up. It's why polling companies use "likely" voters vs registered voters which produces a totally different outcome." You obviously have no idea what students for Rand do... Come caucus night there will be accountability. Calls, transportation, post caucus parties, etc. I really don't think everyone here "gets" how organized they are. They aren't signing up and saying done lol.

MrGoose
09-22-2015, 07:25 AM
We are also targeting previous Ron supporters in these states. "You don't sign up 10K and say done. Only a fraction of supporters show up. It's why polling companies use "likely" voters vs registered voters which produces a totally different outcome." You obviously have no idea what students for Rand do... Come caucus night there will be accountability. Calls, transportation, post caucus parties, etc. I really don't think everyone here "gets" how organized they are. They aren't signing up and saying done lol.

Wish I lived in Iowa so I can help.

Liberty74
09-22-2015, 07:45 AM

If you say so...

Like in 2012 when everyone was pushing the student memo vote which failed to produce a Ron victory, I think many are going to need to check themselves into therapy this go round.

The 600 people rally maybe most were Iowa State students at a school of 36,000 or so just doesn't prove to be a winning strategy. Now if Rand had 2000-3000 students at such rally, then yeah, the shit could happen.

So for Chip to say Ron lost by 3000 votes and we are going to find those votes in a demographic that has proven NOT TO VOTE, doesn't make a lot of sense.

Yeah the ground game might be better than other campaigns but if Rubio or someone else are going after the bigger junk of voters, I'm afraid that person who wins such 45 plus age demographic will WIN. Btw those voters make up 5 to 6 times more than student voters.

Lightweis
09-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Maybe this is rock bottom for the campaign, Relying on students to win Iowa. Old people show up at caucuses not college students. Reeks of desperation.

kbs021
09-22-2015, 08:01 AM
If you say so...

Like in 2012 when everyone was pushing the student memo vote which failed to produce a Ron victory, I think many are going to need to check themselves into therapy this go round.

The 600 people rally maybe most were Iowa State students at a school of 36,000 or so just doesn't prove to be a winning strategy. Now if Rand had 2000-3000 students at such rally, then yeah, the shit could happen.

So for Chip to say Ron lost by 3000 votes and we are going to find those votes in a demographic that has proven NOT TO VOTE, doesn't make a lot of sense.

Yeah the ground game might be better than other campaigns but if Rubio or someone else are going after the bigger junk of voters, I'm afraid that person who wins such 45 plus age demographic will WIN. Btw those voters make up 5 to 6 times more than student voters.

By targeting past Ron Paul supporters in 2012 we are targeting at least 16 percent of 45-64 vote in 2012 and at least 11 percent of the 65 year old vote in 2012. Rand has also done things to target them as well such as fighting against planned parenthood hard. If we have a "media surge" we will surge among older voters.

kbs021
09-22-2015, 08:21 AM
17-29 year olds gave ron about a third of his entire votes.. Without this type of organization.

Liberty74
09-22-2015, 08:47 AM
17-29 year olds gave ron about a third of his entire votes.. Without this type of organization.

17-29 year olds are totally different from "student" votes. Not everyone in that category are students. Maybe half.

kbs021
09-22-2015, 09:03 AM
17-29 year olds are totally different from "student" votes. Not everyone in that category are students. Maybe half.

Of course. Both demographics are important. That's why the 10k program is so exciting knowing that if we get close to the goal, we probably just win Iowa. This is the strongest GOTV technique I have seen in the campaign thus far and it should be a HUGE help.

timosman
09-22-2015, 09:23 AM
Maybe this is rock bottom for the campaign, Relying on students to win Iowa. Old people show up at caucuses not college students. Reeks of desperation.

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2015-02/15/21/enhanced/webdr09/anigif_original-grid-image-27915-1424054799-4.gif

limequat
09-22-2015, 09:34 AM

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2015-02/15/21/enhanced/webdr09/anigif_original-grid-image-27915-1424054799-4.gif

When timosman does this to you...take it to heart.

specsaregood
09-22-2015, 09:47 AM

How did Obama win IA?

groverblue
09-22-2015, 09:56 AM
You have to be kidding

"Since the debate we've gained 900k social media followers. Three times Hillary. 15 times Jeb. We'll bypass Trump this week."

"We've already raised almost $30M... $50 is the average donation; we've had 530,000 donations..."

That's some serious shit.

timosman
09-22-2015, 10:01 AM
"Since the debate we've gained 900k social media followers. Three times Hillary. 15 times Jeb. We'll bypass Trump this week."

"We've already raised almost $30M... $50 is the average donation; we've had 530,000 donations..."

Would be if it was true - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?482127-Carson-s-FB-likes-are-being-manipulated-upward-at-rocket-speed-hundreds-per-minute

65fastback2+2
09-22-2015, 10:19 AM

Most students in Iowa are IN STATE students...and thus, registered to vote...in Iowa.

adam220891
09-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Most students in Iowa are IN STATE students...and thus, registered to vote...in Iowa.

So in state students aren't in state on winter break?

Jonderdonk
09-22-2015, 11:24 AM
So in state students aren't in state on winter break?

Most people in this thread are missing the point. The in state students are much more likely to vote if they're on campus and all of their friends are urging them to go vote.

It becomes a "peer-pressure," "doing it cuz everyone else is doing it" type thing, which should theoretically be beneficial to Rand since he has the most dedicated collegiate base of the GOP field.

kbs021
09-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Most people in this thread are missing the point. The in state students are much more likely to vote if they're on campus and all of their friends are urging them to go vote.

It becomes a "peer-pressure," "doing it cuz everyone else is doing it" type thing, which should theoretically be beneficial to Rand since he has the most dedicated collegiate base of the GOP field.

THIS.. Students for Rand is harnessing the energy of Ron's support in 2012 in a much more organized way. Accountability is key on caucus night. "Hey bud we are leaving in about 1 hour for the caucus. Can we come pick you up and get Pizza afterwards to celebrate everyone's hard work?"

groverblue
09-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Would be if it was true - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?482127-Carson-s-FB-likes-are-being-manipulated-upward-at-rocket-speed-hundreds-per-minute

First, the bot theory is just speculation, even if that's the most likely case. Second, the donations will be verified via FEC filings, and I don't the campaign manager would make such a statement just to be embarrassed out of the race if it were not true. So, my premise still stands. Those numbers mean that Carson has a huge national grassroots appeal. Combine that with Truz's alleged Ioaw appeal and you have a very tough primary in Iowa.

eleganz
09-22-2015, 02:44 PM

The campaign wouldn't be pursuing student votes if they couldn't even vote.

Do you also NOT KNOW that people can change voter registration to another party the DAY of the caucus?

CPUd
09-22-2015, 03:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4MQGwdM2MY

kbs021
09-22-2015, 03:23 PM
The campaign wouldn't be pursuing student votes if they couldn't even vote.

Do you also NOT KNOW that people can change voter registration to another party the DAY of the caucus?

Very True. Independents can basically vote in that primary without hassle.

farrar
09-23-2015, 11:25 PM
If you say so...

Those 600 students were built up in less than 4 weeks. There are some interesting statistics that would blow some mind here as to how many of those students are actively recruiting and campaigning. But I don't want to give to much away :). Its very exciting.

TomtheTinker
09-24-2015, 05:22 AM
If you say so...

Are you saying we shouldn't go after students at all? That imo would be a huge failure. While they might of not t provided the victory for Ron, the kept it within striking distance.

rich34
09-24-2015, 12:16 PM
If you say so...

The thing is that age group will also most likely be the most spread out among the candidates. If Rand can just do well among that group and pull in enough of the young crowd that might be enough.

Liberty74
09-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Are you saying we shouldn't go after students at all? That imo would be a huge failure. While they might of not t provided the victory for Ron, the kept it within striking distance.

Nope, I never said that. It's not a black or white strategy. But all I'm hearing here on RPF like in 2011/2012 and from Chip is "students." Students will only account for maybe 7% or so of the voters. The 45 and up crowd account for 65%. Hello, anyone home is all I am saying. It's basic math.

And Obama won the 17-29 group barely I think and in that Dem 2008 race I believe that entire group, not just students, made up only 18% of the vote. In a very close race, the students can matter. But if all you do is focus on students, it's a losing strategy.

ds21089
09-24-2015, 12:50 PM
Nope, I never said that. It's not a black or white strategy. But all I'm hearing here on RPF like in 2011/2012 and from Chip is "students." Students will only account for maybe 7% or so of the voters. The 45 and up crowd account for 65%. Hello, anyone home is all I am saying. It's basic math.

And Obama won the 17-29 group barely I think and in that Dem 2008 race I believe that entire group, not just students, made up only 18% of the vote. In a very close race, the students can matter. But if all you do is focus on students, it's a losing strategy.

If the students talk to their parents / grandparents and convince them to vote for Rand, as I have done with my entire family to vote for Ron, I can see it adding up to more than just the "student" vote. I've even gotten my heavily democratic in-laws to be on board voting for Rand. Talking politics with family can be a bigger impact than the media if you know how to present it correctly and with persistence. I feel young people (seeing the horrible hand we've been dealt) have much more reason to continue to be persistent in persuading people.

Targeting a receptive audience at first in order to expand the base is a great idea imo. He can go around all he wants talking to older people who make up a larger chunk of the electorate, but most are stuck in their ways and the few who might agree with him have been convinced he has no chance of winning. If the students and debate performances can build him some type of momentum, perhaps those illusions will be dispelled and his numbers will skyrocket.

Liberty74
09-24-2015, 12:54 PM

Gained 900K social media followers? Not even close on FB. Maybe 9K. So where are the others coming from?