PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul calls for term limits, says Trump has peaked

Virgil
09-19-2015, 11:11 PM
MACKINAC ISLAND, Mich. — The federal government never gets any smaller because Americans leave members of Congress in Washington too long, Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky told the Mackinac Republican Leadership Conference on Saturday in calling for federal term limits.

"We should term limit them all, fumigate the place and bring them home," said Paul, who is seeking the Republican nomination for president.

Paul said in an after-dinner speech at the Grand Hotel that both Republicans and Democrats stay in Congress too long and become part of a system they can't shrink.
Paul also hammered Hillary Clinton, the former secretary of state who is the front-runner for the Democratic nomination for president, for her handling of security at the embassy in Benghazi, Libya, prior to a 2012 attack and for putting sensitive and potentially classified emails on a private server that was not secure.

-virgil

timosman
09-19-2015, 11:19 PM
Fumigate ? Using big words again Rand ? Eh ?

FSP-Rebel
09-19-2015, 11:25 PM

It's kind of a word that does the job here, what are you getting at?

cindy25
09-19-2015, 11:49 PM
Carson peaked, and is headed down. same for Kasich. Trump may have peaked but his support is more solid. he may last a while longer. the problems are Carly and Jeb ,

timosman
09-19-2015, 11:54 PM

Rand's inability to speak at a level people can understand.

limequat
09-20-2015, 07:07 AM

If fumigate is word that you have trouble with, the problem isn't Paul.

tod evans
09-20-2015, 07:15 AM

Even the functionally illiterate out here in Hillbillyville grasp "fumigate"...

Especially when used in the context of ridding DC of vermin...

TomtheTinker
09-20-2015, 10:03 AM
General election matchup. (D)Clinton vs (R)Bush vs (I)Trump vs (G)Sanders vs (L)Paul
Just a random thought that came out of fantasy land

Jonderdonk
09-20-2015, 10:20 AM

Lol so true :D

Liberty74
09-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Carson peaked, and is headed down. same for Kasich. Trump may have peaked but his support is more solid. he may last a while longer. the problems are Carly and Jeb ,

Yes, Trump has peaked at 32% and now at 24% according to the latest CNN poll. Carson is dropped too. Seems both have lost about 25% of their support. Carly is the media's pump war girl for the time being and Rubio has gone up from 3% to 11% himself. With only 4 debates left this year (purposely done by the RNC to have far less debates this nomination), it might take a bit longer for Trump to completely implode.

Liberty74
09-20-2015, 10:26 AM
General election matchup. (D)Clinton vs (R)Bush vs (I)Trump vs (G)Sanders vs (L)Paul
Just a random thought that came out of fantasy land

G and L have zero chance. An I has a very good chance of winning and beating the system. It's why I suggest Ron or Rand run as an I. Or maybe Judge NAP.

acptulsa
09-20-2015, 11:07 AM
"We should term limit them all, fumigate the place and bring them home," said Paul.

See, that's where he's going all wrong. If the states and communities of this nation wanted their biggest, crookedest psychopaths anywhere near their homes, one supposes they wouldn't have sent them off to that east coast swamp in the first place.

William Tell
09-20-2015, 11:22 AM
G and L have zero chance. An I has a very good chance of winning and beating the system. It's why I suggest Ron or Rand run as an I. Or maybe Judge NAP.

Independents have even less chance, unless they are billionaires like Perot. It costs millions to get on the ballot nationwide as an independent. In some states its pretty much impossible to get on. Third parties generally already have access in a number of states.

FSP-Rebel
09-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Btw, there's the link in case anyone wants to give brownie clicks. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2015/09/19/rand-paul-says-donald-trump-peaked/72492594/

Brett85
09-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Yes, Trump has peaked at 32% and now at 24% according to the latest CNN poll. Carson is dropped too. Seems both have lost about 25% of their support. Carly is the media's pump war girl for the time being and Rubio has gone up from 3% to 11% himself. With only 4 debates left this year (purposely done by the RNC to have far less debates this nomination), it might take a bit longer for Trump to completely implode.

Well, there are three scheduled debates left this year, but then six more scheduled next year. There are five debates scheduled after the Iowa caucus takes place.

http://www.uspresidentialelectionnews.com/2016-debate-schedule/2016-republican-primary-debate-schedule/

Anti Federalist
09-20-2015, 03:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7v_6uGlWQ

euphemia
09-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Lamar Alexander ran for office on a platform of, "Cut their pay and send them home." He doesn't show any sign of retiring and returning to Tennessee. He has become quite fat on my tax dollars and doesn't even pretend to listen to the voters.

notsure
09-20-2015, 04:28 PM

Do you really think Kasich has peaked? I don't know how much ground organization he has or really anything on his actual policy issues, but considering his credentials and the character he exhibits in the debates, I think there could be room for him to move up in the polls and could be a second or third or fourth option for voters if he remains in the race.

I think the real problems are Rubio, considering he's all in at this point; and Ted Cruz. The only way Jeb could be considered a problem is if he goes unchecked by the other candidates. I think our major threat or obstacle will be hypocrite Ted Cruz, who like Obama just speaks well and says what he thinks his constituency wants to hear. Our two major threats are the ones who got elected by riding off the back of the Tea Party and feign support for the Constitution and limited gov't. Carly seems pretty sharp, but I think she will have a hard time defending her record at HP.

Liberty74
09-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Independents have even less chance, unless they are billionaires like Perot. It costs millions to get on the ballot nationwide as an independent. In some states its pretty much impossible to get on. Third parties generally already have access in a number of states.

And what you fail to realize is that politics is as much about "identity" as it is issues. Maybe more so. And with more people identifying themselves as Independents than as Democrats or Republicans make a great opportunity for someone to claim that spot and run with it. Over 60% want another viable option. Maybe some states it would be hard to get on the ballot as an I but at least an I will get in the national debates. Ron Paul was pulling 17% in a hypothetical against Obama and Romney as an I. As an I he would have been on the stage but was Gary Johnson (L) or whoever the G was in 2012? Not a chance in hell.

Liberty74
09-20-2015, 07:08 PM
Do you really think Kasich has peaked? I don't know how much ground organization he has or really anything on his actual policy issues, but considering his credentials and the character he exhibits in the debates, I think there could be room for him to move up in the polls and could be a second or third or fourth option for voters if he remains in the race.

I think the real problems are Rubio, considering he's all in at this point; and Ted Cruz. The only way Jeb could be considered a problem is if he goes unchecked by the other candidates. I think our major threat or obstacle will be hypocrite Ted Cruz, who like Obama just speaks well and says what he thinks his constituency wants to hear. Our two major threats are the ones who got elected by riding off the back of the Tea Party and feign support for the Constitution and limited gov't. Carly seems pretty sharp, but I think she will have a hard time defending her record at HP.

I'm calling it. Kasich will be the media's new pump guy once Carly falls. Carly is fierce in her "delivery." Rand should take some lessons.

I'm personally okay with Cruz for the most part. Let's not forget it was Ron and Rand who helped launched him in TX as Senator.

erowe1
09-20-2015, 07:18 PM

Enema would have been a better metaphor.

erowe1
09-20-2015, 07:19 PM

notsure
09-20-2015, 07:58 PM
I'm calling it. Kasich will be the media's new pump guy once Carly falls. Carly is fierce in her "delivery." Rand should take some lessons.

I'm personally okay with Cruz for the most part. Let's not forget it was Ron and Rand who helped launched him in TX as Senator.

Yea, I definitely see potential for Kasich to be the "medias' new pump guy". I don't know if he'll be the new flavor of the month after Carly. I think his rise would be slow played and more solid over time, if he actually makes it that far and is required to be the media darling. He hasn't really gotten much play in the media, this is why I think he could be gradually put on us.

As for Cruz, I think he would be dangerous for America and a turncoat to the Freedom Caucus. I think Cruz lies and only pays lip-service to the Constitution. I think the only reason Cruz joined the Senate was to be the establishments controlled opposition, to counter the Constitutionalists, limited gov't message of the Tea Party or what the establishment thought the Tea Party would turn into. Ted Cruz claims to support the Constitution but votes to extend Patriot Act provisions and pushed heavily for TPP fast-track (TPA). He's flipped flopped on several issues only to cater to the constituency that he thinks makes up the conservative base. Yes, he did seek and receive the endorsement of Ron and Rand Paul; but did he turn around and give Ron Paul an endorsement? No. Instead he endorsed Rick Perry for President. You can pretend that Cruz is sincere in his speeches, but I know it's all an act. This Harvard lawyer knows how to talk and twist the law. When Rand Paul filibusters, then Cruz goes up there and pretends to filibuster. This guy is so fake. If you want a Paul presidency then Cruz must be taken down. He is our biggest threat. It may not show now, but down the road, once he starts maintaining support, he'll be harder to take down. I whole-heartedly believe Cruz was/is being used to counter a Paul presidency, divide the Tea Party and limited gov't crowd, and will be one of the major players left standing in the primary. Worst of all, Ted Cruz is a naturalized citizen, Constitutionally ineligible to hold office of US President, and lies to say that he is eligible. He quotes 1790 Law to say that he's eligible, when in fact that law was repealed just 5 years later in 1795. He's lying, and since he's a Harvard lawyer, I'm sure he knows he's lying. He's knowingly robbing supporters' time, efforts, and donations.

Zippyjuan
09-20-2015, 08:54 PM

Over 44% of Trump supporters never attended college (high school degree or less). http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/the-deep-dive-who-supports-donald-trump

91% white
only 5% are 18- 24
23% are 65 and over
38% are "evangelical" and 30% attend church at least once a week.

Voluntarist
09-21-2015, 12:32 PM
xxxxx

limequat
09-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Yea, I definitely see potential for Kasich to be the "medias' new pump guy". I don't know if he'll be the new flavor of the month after Carly. I think his rise would be slow played and more solid over time, if he actually makes it that far and is required to be the media darling. He hasn't really gotten much play in the media, this is why I think he could be gradually put on us.

Your analysis of Cruz is spot on. The whole reason he is getting support is to steal Rand's thunder.
However, I don't think Kasich is going anywhere. He's the Jon Huntsman of 2016. Too moderate, not enough of a hawk for the powers that be.

The establishment really wants Jeb!, but I think they discounted what a terrible politician he is. If they pull it off, it will take every million they can raise and spend. Carly is an unknown quantity. She talks a mean game, but will she deliver the goods? This is why the big donors aren't behind her yet.
Sometime between Iowa and NH we will see a shift. It will either be Jeb! or Rubio. The other preferred candidate are either decoys (Cruz, Huckabee) or too far gone in the polls (Perry, Graham). The grassroots will choke. Just like they did with Romney. Hold on, 'cause this is about to get ugly.

timosman
09-24-2015, 11:45 PM
C: And having to ride on Air Force One, can you imagine ?
T: I know, I know. Things are tough.
C: The smell of all those reporters who've been on there. You'd have to have it fumigated.
T: That is true.

around 4:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIqVGE1hAHA