PDA

View Full Version : Observation of Old People

65fastback2+2
09-15-2015, 11:00 AM
No offense to old people on here.

Sunday we had lunch with my parents and grandparents for grandparents day.

My grandpa decided it was smart to bring up politics for conversation. smh.

The following were statements actually said:

"Rand is way too far out there"

"Walker is a Washington outsider"

"Rand is a Washington insider"

"Walker has never spent time in Washington, Rand has"

"Never having held a job outside of a government office is the complete definition of insider" (one of my comments)

"If you are in Washington, someone put you there. Someone put Rand there. Walker has never had anyone put him anywhere."

Sola_Fide
09-15-2015, 11:04 AM
I just had a conversation with an old person yesterday...it was Lloyd Rogers who works on Massie's staff. He was awesome.

Chieppa1
09-15-2015, 11:10 AM
My grandfather wants to put everyone in Washington in prison. He likes Ron Paul and understands non-intervention.

65fastback2+2
09-15-2015, 11:10 AM
I just had a conversation with an old person yesterday...it was Lloyd Rogers who works on Massie's staff. He was awesome.

I was referring mostly to the demographic that is big-government RINO's. The people who sit around and vote for trump and jeb bush in polls and such. We all know Rand's weak point is in the 60+ age demographic.

brushfire
09-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Some so called "old people" are fed the line, and completely rely on mainstream media... They simply dont know any better, but I dont think that they are all that different from any of the so called "young people".

I'm convinced that people really start to pay attention to politics when their bellies are empty...

More in context of the thread, I really like Doug Wead's perspective - one of my favorite people. I wouldn't dare call him old though...nor would I refer to Ron as old... Maybe I'm getting old..?

Be careful not to get caught up in the "classes". Sounds like this past Sunday presented the opportunity to school grandpa on liberty, and why Rand is the best candidate of the bunch. I commend the "ol man" on having the ballz to bring up political discussion - regardless of what his political views are, he didnt fall into the PC trap. All too often people shy away from discussions on religion and politics, as though it should only be "safe" for people to engage in small talk. Living by those rules breeds intolerance and hypersensitivity.

/old_man_rant

65fastback2+2
09-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Some so called "old people" are fed the line, and completely rely on mainstream media... They simply dont know any better, but I dont think that they are all that different from any of the so called "young people".

I'm convinced that people really start to pay attention to politics when their bellies are empty...

More in context of the thread, I really like Doug Wead's perspective - one of my favorite people. I wouldn't dare call him old though...nor would I refer to Ron as old... Maybe I'm getting old..?

Be careful not to get caught up in the "classes". Sounds like this past Sunday presented the opportunity to school grandpa on liberty, and why Rand is the best candidate of the bunch. I commend the "ol man" on having the ballz to bring up political discussion - regardless of what his political views are, he didnt fall into the PC trap. All too often people shy away from discussions on religion and politics, as though it should only be "safe" for people to engage in small talk. Living by those rules breeds intolerance and hypersensitivity.

/old_man_rant

Demographics and the statistics of them is an important conversation and discussion, however.

brushfire
09-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Demographics and the statistics of them is an important conversation and discussion, however.

Of course, I agree, its quite interesting and may also contribute to dialog. I guess what hooked me was your opening remark "My grandpa decided it was smart to bring up politics for conversation".

The old man has his view of the world, which he's willing to put out there for debate. Take him up on it, share perspective, and become more persuasive - assuming that's the goal.

Please excuse my post if it comes off as a lecture - I have no business lecturing on the topic... The gun owner's rights battle has always put me in with the "wrong demographic", and fewer issues have the level of creativity used in the composition of statistics. My posts are speaking more to the "twenty something brushfire", than they are to you personally. The tone of your post, whether intentional or not, reminds me a lot of myself when I first entered political activism. I cant help but think back on all the missed opportunities.

CaptUSA
09-15-2015, 12:49 PM
I was referring mostly to the demographic that is big-government RINO's. The people who sit around and vote for trump and jeb bush in polls and such. We all know Rand's weak point is in the 60+ age demographic.

Geez. I am not a demographic - I'm a person. And an older one. Quit viewing people as part of a group to divide up and you will come a little closer to liberty.

65fastback2+2
09-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Of course, I agree, its quite interesting and may also contribute to dialog. I guess what hooked me was your opening remark "My grandpa decided it was smart to bring up politics for conversation".

The old man has his view of the world, which he's willing to put out there for debate. Take him up on it, share perspective, and become more persuasive - assuming that's the goal.

Please excuse my post if it comes off as a lecture - I have no business lecturing on the topic... The gun owner's rights battle has always put me in with the "wrong demographic", and fewer issues have the level of creativity used in the composition of statistics. My posts are speaking more to the "twenty something brushfire", than they are to you personally. The tone of your post, whether intentional or not, reminds me a lot of myself when I first entered political activism. I cant help but think back on all the missed opportunities.

In the middle of a restaurant while trying to juggle my 5 month old daughter with my wife wasnt the time to bring up such a conversation. I kinda left that out, so my apologies for not explaining the back story.

65fastback2+2
09-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Geez. I am not a demographic - I'm a person. And an older one. Quit viewing people as part of a group to divide up and you will come a little closer to liberty.

you're a demographic whether or not you think you are. We all are. Heck, liberty is a demographic.

kahless
09-15-2015, 01:08 PM

I have had the same conversations as the OP and your reply was my sentiments exactly. I would even go so far as to say I think some do not know Rand and Ron are two different people. When they hear Paul they think its that same guy they heard about years ago and just echo that old MSM rhetoric that he has crazy ideas.

Most of the old folks I run into are way too plugged into whom their friends on FNC likes or dislikes.

squirl22
09-15-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm an old person...and I am not brainwashed. But, I do have this comment; older women are very insecure and afraid of just about everything. I have a friend who freaks out every time Obama or whoever says they will not be sending out social security checks if the budget, or whatever, is not passed. I finally said to her last time, "do you think you are the only one? if they don't send out the ss checks the whole economy will collapse, you are being manipulated." And of course, she denied she was being manipulate...right. So, smaller government and cutting ss and social programs is not a big selling point for older women. I guess I am different because I have always lived an independent, alternative life so I'm used to living on a shoestring and making do and making stuff....not a big consumer. They say older people get more conservative as they age, but it's not exactly what it sounds like. They become less able to change...more rigid and set in their ways. So, yeah, a Paul is probably scary...

Southron
09-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Not to derail or get too far off topic OP, but enjoy what time you have with your grandparents. They can learn a lot from you and you can learn even more from them.

My grandfather was a diehard old school Southern Democrat. Although we agreed on a lot, he was never going to vote any other way so I avoided politics.

Mad Raven
09-15-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm an old person...and I am not brainwashed. But, I do have this comment; older women are very insecure and afraid of just about everything. I have a friend who freaks out every time Obama or whoever says they will not be sending out social security checks if the budget, or whatever, is not passed. I finally said to her last time, "do you think you are the only one? if they don't send out the ss checks the whole economy will collapse, you are being manipulated." And of course, she denied she was being manipulate...right. So, smaller government and cutting ss and social programs is not a big selling point for older women. I guess I am different because I have always lived an independent, alternative life so I'm used to living on a shoestring and making do and making stuff....not a big consumer. They say older people get more conservative as they age, but it's not exactly what it sounds like. They become less able to change...more rigid and set in their ways. So, yeah, a Paul is probably scary...

I think you nailed it. It's pretty sad. Making decisions all the time from a position of fear is no way to live. And it's really annoying to listen to.

I think a lot of people have serious context problems as they get older too. Something sounds completely logical to them, but they can't take the context into account, so they hold opinions that make you wonder if they're paying any attention or if they just remember having that thought at some point in the past about something and recycle it to badly fit the current situation.

heavenlyboy34
09-15-2015, 04:01 PM

The sad thing is that's not much of an exaggeration. Plenty of businesses plan their monthly schedules around the days SS checks/deposits are sent and when EBT food stamp cards are refilled. If all that were cut off, it would leave a lot less in the positive side of certain business' balance sheets.

squirl22
09-15-2015, 04:08 PM
I think a lot of people have serious context problems as they get older too. Something sounds completely logical to them, but they can't take the context into account, so they hold opinions that make you wonder if they're paying any attention or if they just remember having that thought at some point in the past about something and recycle it to badly fit the current situation.

That's very insightful..a good point. Old thoughts unable to adapt to new contexts.

squirl22
09-15-2015, 04:10 PM
The sad thing is that's not much of an exaggeration.

Well, yes, think about it; couldn't pay the rent or mortgage, couldn't pay for fuel heating and cooling expenses, food, auto, etc. Everything would be effected...

Occam's Banana
09-15-2015, 04:41 PM

How can one be an "insider" if one is "way too far out there?"

Isn't being "way too far out there" (or even just "out there" at all) the epitome of being an "outsider?"

"If you are in Washington, someone put you there. Someone put Rand there. Walker has never had anyone put him anywhere."

But if Walker were to become POTUS, then he would be "in Washington" (apparently because "someone put [him] there").

Therefore, by this "logic," by becoming POTUS, Walker will necessarily have become an "insider."

So why, then, is Walker to be preferred over Rand?

My head hurts ...

hells_unicorn
09-15-2015, 04:49 PM

Isn't being "way too far out there" (or even just "out there" at all) the epitome of being an "outsider?"

But if Walker were to become POTUS, then he would be "in Washington" (apparently because "someone put [him] there").

Therefore, by this "logic," by becoming POTUS, Walker will necessarily have become an "insider."

My head hurts ...

Senility can screw up logical thinking more than most controlled substances, though most old people nowadays have a personal pharmacy that would rival a meth lab if the pills they're popping weren't legal.

And to be clear, I'm not one to disrespect my elders, but wisdom doesn't always follow age, especially if it was never given an invitation to come in years back.

Sola_Fide
09-15-2015, 04:53 PM
The sad thing is that's not much of an exaggeration. Plenty of businesses plan their monthly schedules around the days SS checks/deposits are sent and when EBT food stamp cards are refilled. If all that were cut off, it would leave a lot less in the positive side of certain business' balance sheets.

I sense an economic fallacy somewhere in there...

RJB
09-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Think of how flakey a young Boobus is. Now picture that young Boobus with 70 plus years of that flakeyness fully ingrained.

HVACTech
09-15-2015, 05:32 PM
Think of how flakey a young Boobus is. Now picture that young Boobus with 70 plus years of that flakeyness fully ingrained.

to be fair, boobus has access to the internet.
the older folks did not.

I am 55 and I took advantage of the "information superhighway" as soon as Al Gore invented it. :)
I had to learn computer skills and to type... because of my line of work.

I still have to look at the keyboard and use both hands to type. :(

amy31416
09-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Old people suck. Young people suck. Middle-aged people suck. Miracle Whip sucks too.

Everyone sucks, especially the people who make Miracle Whip.

That ain't no miracle, it's a crappy-ass version of mayonnaise.

Danke
09-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Old people suck. Young people suck. Middle-aged people suck. Miracle Whip sucks too.

Take some Valium.

RJB
09-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Take some Valium.

I would have said get screwed, but then the thread would have gotten locked.

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2015, 06:07 PM

My head hurts ...

Someone "put" Walker in Madison.

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2015, 06:08 PM
to be fair, boobus has access to the internet.
the older folks did not.

I am 55 and I took advantage of the "information superhighway" as soon as Al Gore invented it. :)
I had to learn computer skills and to type... because of my line of work.

I still have to look at the keyboard and use both hands to type. :(

You are supposed to use both hands to type.

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2015, 06:14 PM

Pretty much this. EVERY demographic mostly sucks, big time, and every demographic has (just!) a few exceptions to the rule. Our little 5% is made up of every race color creed, gender and age group in the universe. That means 95% of every race color creed, gender and age group in the universe are not with us. Most (not all, but most) of those are blithering idiots.

Oh, and if you absolutely must go with big corporate mayo, it's Duke's over Hellman's. Miracle Whip is not mayo, it's dressing.

Occam's Banana
09-15-2015, 06:23 PM

Pretty much this. EVERY demographic mostly sucks, big time, and every demographic has (just!) a few exceptions to the rule. Our little 5% is made up of every race color creed, gender and age group in the universe. That means 95% of every race color creed, gender and age group in the universe are not with us. Most (not all, but most) of those are blithering idiots.

Oh, and if you absolutely must go with big corporate mayo, it's Duke's over Hellman's. Miracle Whip is not mayo, it's dressing.

Sturgeon's Law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law) redux.

phill4paul
09-15-2015, 06:31 PM
I emailed my dad, 87, the Sgt.s op ed from The Citadel, about how Rand put off a press conference to speak to the Sgt. and how Rand introduced an amendment to the Defense Re-authorization Act that was made up of the Vet's suggestions.
Dear old old fart, 87 year old, dad tuned on the dime away from Trump. Re-emailed my email to all his old fart Vet friends and family.
You just gotta find the thing that motivates. Rand's got plenty of them.

CaptUSA
09-15-2015, 06:36 PM
you're a demographic whether or not you think you are. We all are. Heck, liberty is a demographic.

You have a lot to learn, young one. Individualism is not a demographic. It's quite the opposite.

(Unless you see every person as a demographic of one - then, perhaps you're starting to get it.)

cajuncocoa
09-15-2015, 06:53 PM
No offense to old people on here.

Sunday we had lunch with my parents and grandparents for grandparents day.

My grandpa decided it was smart to bring up politics for conversation. smh.

The following were statements actually said:

"Walker is a Washington outsider"

"Rand is a Washington insider"

"Walker has never spent time in Washington, Rand has"

"Never having held a job outside of a government office is the complete definition of insider" (one of my comments)

Sorry to break this to you, but that has nothing to do with age. I know many young people around the age of 30 who think the same way and have said similar things. I'm probably at least old enough to be your Mom (not your grandma though) and I wouldn't compare Rand to Walker that way.

francisco
09-15-2015, 07:00 PM
... Miracle Whip sucks too.

I'm with you Amy. In fact (as I'm sure you know) if one takes a little time to make fresh mayonnaise (actually easy with a blender) it beats the store-boughten type hands down.

But there's no accounting for taste. My wife actually prefers Miracle Whip and likes to quote the old ad tagline

"A sandwich isn't a sandwich without the tasty zip of Miracle-Whip"

HVACTech
09-15-2015, 07:19 PM
I'm with you Amy. In fact (as I'm sure you know) if one takes a little time to make fresh mayonnaise (actually easy with a blender) it beats the store-boughten type hands down.

But there's no accounting for taste. My wife actually prefers Miracle Whip and likes to quote the old ad tagline

uh- oh.. looks like "Brawndo's " has got his hands full to me.

"miracle -whip" has electrolytes?

is she talking about fried egg and cheese sandwiches? :toady:

amy31416
09-15-2015, 10:05 PM
Take some Valium.

I would have said get screwed, but then the thread would have gotten locked.

Both of you suck too!

amy31416
09-15-2015, 10:08 PM
Take some Valium.

I was making my own since I was in high school. I love how you can add whatever you want, make however much you want. That's the way to do it, but I'll deal with Hellman's in a pinch.

phill4paul
09-15-2015, 10:14 PM
I was making my own since I was in high school. I love how you can add whatever you want, make however much you want. That's the way to do it, but I'll deal with Hellman's in a pinch.

Here in the South: Hellman's for salads (chicken, tuna, potato) Duke's for sandwiches.

It's biblical I think. Do not stray.

amy31416
09-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Here in the South: Hellman's for salads (chicken, tuna, potato) Duke's for sandwiches.

It's biblical I think. Do not stray.

I have heard legends of this Duke mayo. I'm a Yankee though, we do not have such things.

phill4paul
09-15-2015, 10:25 PM
I have heard legends of this Duke mayo. I'm a Yankee though, we do not have such things.

"Family recipe. Since 1917. Smooth & creamy. Still 32 ounces. The secret to great food. Sugar-free. Not a reduced calorie food. Naturally rich in omega-3 ALA. Contains 650 mg ALA per serving. 50% of the daily value of ALA (1300 mg). Gluten free."

$3.48
+$0.24 tax and $4.97 shipping

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHNY_enUS554US554&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=duke%27s+mayonnaise&tbm=shop&spd=8566560352733344046

RPfan1992
09-15-2015, 10:36 PM

I have noticed that as well, I have a feeling this is why the left is pushing for a guaranteed basic income so they can put all demographics on a leash when they vote.

heavenlyboy34
09-15-2015, 11:02 PM
My grandfather wants to put everyone in Washington in prison. He likes Ron Paul and understands non-intervention.

Sounds like a guy I'd get along with just fine! :)

heavenlyboy34
09-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Both of you suck too!

danke is the more prolific suck-er of the two. LOL :D

65fastback2+2
09-16-2015, 06:23 AM

My head hurts ...

yup...my brain was spinning. And my grandpa is the worst debater in the world. He could say the elephant is pink and sky is green and if he said it, he cant be convinced otherwise.

65fastback2+2
09-16-2015, 06:25 AM
I emailed my dad, 87, the Sgt.s op ed from The Citadel, about how Rand put off a press conference to speak to the Sgt. and how Rand introduced an amendment to the Defense Re-authorization Act that was made up of the Vet's suggestions.
Dear old old fart, 87 year old, dad tuned on the dime away from Trump. Re-emailed my email to all his old fart Vet friends and family.

lol, love it

JK/SEA
09-16-2015, 06:45 AM
'boys' drive 65fastback2+2's , and real men OWN BOSS 302'S...:D

acptulsa
09-16-2015, 08:14 AM

My head hurts ...

This.

People get that 'someone puts the politicians there' yet still believe their votes count. Surely there's some kind of a nagging feeling deep inside them that they're sold on a contradiction? Can they be made to see that their votes might yet count, and that the 'people who put them there' are the voters who buy the brainwashing rather than using their heads?

Is this the missing link of the chain of logic that we need to wake people up to their power, and cause them to use it responsibly? Is this the thing that can help people see how it's possible for Congress to have a 19% approval rating yet for 81% of them to get reelected?

Okaloosa
09-16-2015, 08:40 AM

Wow that is great, I have been saying the campaign needs to get a Veterans plan together as well as defense. He doesn't need to be John Bolton but he needs people to see he cares and that he has a plan. Trump is scoring points on Veterans issues after insulting POW's.

FindLiberty
09-16-2015, 09:34 AM
<sarcasm>

'can't say all of us old people actually enjoy eating
our young... I find it quite distasteful and adding
Miracle Whip aint' gonna fix this corrupt, totally
bankrupt crap sandwich system.

I'm not in a position to "pay down the national
debt" (roflol), so all them young whippersnappers
out there just need to gripe and protest to let off,
some steam.

Then they ALL need to settle down!

When they's 21, they can vote their little pea-pick'n hearts
out by selecting one of the two approved choices printed
on the official ballot, or they can write-in whoever else
they want to vote for. That's the 'murican way. And
this time, that'll change everything...

Now they had better shut up and GET BACK TO WORK!

There, now pull my finger...

</sarcasm>

Jonderdonk
09-16-2015, 09:49 AM
Just thought I'd share this.

My grandfather is 90 years old, and he was a colonel in both the Vietnam and Korean Wars. This election cycle, he's been an adamant Trump supporter. I think he just likes Trump's intolerance of nonsense in the quest to "Make America Great Again."

Anyway, I emailed him the veteran article. He turned away from Trump so fast, and he ordered a Rand Paul bumper sticker to put on his car. If anything, I think this is a testament to the fact that old people are not set in stone in their ways... You just have to know how to appeal to them.

heavenlyboy34
09-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Wow that is great, I have been saying the campaign needs to get a Veterans plan together as well as defense. He doesn't need to be John Bolton but he needs people to see he cares and that he has a plan. Trump is scoring points on Veterans issues after insulting POW's.

Why are POTUS candidates expected to have a plan for this, that, and the other thing? In theory, the POTUS only has to do the few things written in the CONstitution. Coming up with "plans" used to nominally be congress critters' job, as they're supposedly closer to "teh people". Interesting how a lot of self-proclaimed CONstitution fanboys only care about what the parchment says when it's convenient. :P

Anti Federalist
09-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Yes, old folks can be rigid and set in their ways.

Yes, older women can be terrified of just daily living.

Young people embrace the technological terror of the surveillance grid and walk around with nothing but plastic in their pocket.

People of all ages zone out whilst furiously finger fucking the latest new gadget.

Being free can be hard work, and most people are not up to the task or the risk.

And, that said...

Blue Plate Mayo.

That is all.

GunnyFreedom
09-16-2015, 01:10 PM
You have a lot to learn, young one. Individualism is not a demographic. It's quite the opposite.

(Unless you see every person as a demographic of one - then, perhaps you're starting to get it.)

An individualist is not a demographic, but a large group of individualists necessarily is a demographic. Any classifiable group of humans large enough to be a 'market' is a demographic. Individualists may be one of the more diverse demographics, but it is still a demographic nonetheless. If it were not, then there would not be this, however misguided:

http://reho.st/preview/http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Bq_SqxkEYj4/U1PSHyEqrxI/AAAAAAAALlo/D6vt1hFtblA/s1600/$_57.jpg

cajuncocoa
09-16-2015, 01:49 PM
An individualist is not a demographic, but a large group of individualists necessarily is a demographic. Any classifiable group of humans large enough to be a 'market' is a demographic. Individualists may be one of the more diverse demographics, but it is still a demographic nonetheless. If it were not, then there would not be this, however misguided:

http://reho.st/preview/http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Bq_SqxkEYj4/U1PSHyEqrxI/AAAAAAAALlo/D6vt1hFtblA/s1600/$_57.jpg

It continues to annoy me that in two years I have not been able to find my name on a Coke bottle. But there are all these exotic, unusual names..... :mad:

GunnyFreedom
09-16-2015, 04:52 PM
It continues to annoy me that in two years I have not been able to find my name on a Coke bottle. But there are all these exotic, unusual names..... :mad:

http://glenbradley.net/imghost/2015_09SEP/cajuncocoacoke.png

phill4paul
09-16-2015, 05:26 PM
And, that said...

Blue Plate Mayo.

That is all.

Never heard of it. From the website it's be a 104 mile round trip to pick some up at a Lowes Foods in Yadkinville, NC. I'll have to ask if the local Lowes Food can get some. Worth a try.