PDA

View Full Version : Donald Trump, Rand Paul feud reaches new level

twomp
09-13-2015, 12:46 AM
Grabs popcorn....

The rhetoric between Republican front-runner Donald Trump and Senator Rand Paul, R-Ky., is heating up on the campaign trail ahead of the next GOP debate.

At a Saturday rally in Boone, Iowa, Trump blasted Paul as being an “ineffective guy” and weak on immigration and national security issues. He claims Paul is attacking him because his polls numbers remain quite low and he needs media attention.

Trump currently stands at nearly 30 percent compared to Paul’s two percent, according to the latest Real Clear Politics average polling.

During his speech, Trump blasted critics who say he’s picking fights with his fellow Republicans and pointed to primary voters who prefer his “aggressive tone and tremendous energy."

The latest feud began Thursday when Paul, referring to Trump, said “I don’t really think there’s anything conservative about him and I think he’s selling us a bill of goods. And so I think we need to be very careful that we don’t succumb to celebrity and all of the sudden get a fake conservative that turns out to be a big government Republican.”

Later Saturday, Trump again blasted Paul on social media. “Lightweight Senator Rand Paul should focus on trying to get elected in Kentucky--- a great state which is embarrassed by him,” said the businessman in a tweet.

In another Twitter post, he took a personal dig at Paul, saying he doesn’t compare to his father, former congressman and 2008 Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul. “I truly understood the appeal of Ron Paul, but his son, Rand Paul, didn't get the right gene,” he said.

Since Trump announced his White House run in June, both candidates have spared over policy and personality.

Earlier this month, Paul said Trump “is a disaster. I think he will hurt the country and will lose in a land slide.”

At a New Hampshire rally in August, Trump told supporters a story about him playing golf with Paul. “So I'm actually a good golfer. I killed him, OK? I killed him. If I didn't, I wouldn't say it, but I killed him.”

hxxp://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/12/donald-trump-rand-paul-feud-reaches-new-level/

Sola_Fide
09-13-2015, 01:01 AM
“I truly understood the appeal of Ron Paul, but his son, Rand Paul, didn't get the right gene,”*he said.*

Trump is a libertarian.

twomp
09-13-2015, 01:07 AM
“I truly understood the appeal of Ron Paul, but his son, Rand Paul, didn't get the right gene,”*he said.*

Trump is a libertarian.

Of course he is. Haven't you heard? He's really good at golf!

CPUd
09-13-2015, 01:35 AM
http://i.imgur.com/qBGicGc.jpg

ican'tvote
09-13-2015, 01:38 AM
He wasn't so friendly to Ron a few years ago.. https://youtu.be/gnnmKb_foMs?t=44s

Trump is only nice to you once he no longer considers you a threat.

twomp
09-13-2015, 02:08 AM
He wasn't so friendly to Ron a few years ago.. https://youtu.be/gnnmKb_foMs?t=44s

You call that being nice? He is using his dad to stick it to him.

65fastback2+2
09-13-2015, 05:10 AM

bingo

jkob
09-13-2015, 07:01 AM
Rand would of been better off feuding with Jeb or McConnell or something, Trump doesn't pull punches and I don't think anybody can say Rand has won this "feud" nor has it produced any gain in the polls. We need those non-mainstream anti-establishment voters that Trump is attracting but Trump is making Rand look like a big joke to them whereas the establishment hates Rand almost as much Trump. Trump could make reelection to senate in Kentucky difficult if he wants to go that route, McCain tanked in the polls here in Arizona after Trump stuff and now trails Kelli Ward by a decent margin in the primary so what happens if Trump takes the extra step and endorses somebody in the primary against Rand?

RonPaulMall
09-13-2015, 07:46 AM
Rand would of been better off feuding with Jeb or McConnell or something, Trump doesn't pull punches and I don't think anybody can say Rand has won this "feud" nor has it produced any gain in the polls. We need those non-mainstream anti-establishment voters that Trump is attracting but Trump is making Rand look like a big joke to them whereas the establishment hates Rand almost as much Trump. Trump could make reelection to senate in Kentucky difficult if he wants to go that route, McCain tanked in the polls here in Arizona after Trump stuff and now trails Kelli Ward by a decent margin in the primary so what happens if Trump takes the extra step and endorses somebody in the primary against Rand?

Too late for anybody to mount a serious challenge to Rand in Kentucky at this point. Rand does need to spend the next six years repairing his image though or he will face a serious primary challenge six years from now. What saved Rand this time around is that the establishment was as surprised by how lousy his campaign was we were.

liberty_nc
09-13-2015, 07:50 AM
To beat Trump, Rand must own Jeb in the debate

Mr.NoSmile
09-13-2015, 07:53 AM

Though then people would make the claim that Paul shouldn't waste his time going after a self-imploding candidate like Bush and focus on the front-runner instead.

acptulsa
09-13-2015, 07:55 AM
To beat Trump, Rand must own Jeb in the debate

Though then people would make the claim that Paul shouldn't waste his time going after a self-imploding candidate like Bush and focus on the front-runner instead.

Depends. We could spin that as Rand Paul being able to finish the job Trump started, but couldn't finish. And if we did, it would be a coup.

...how lousy his campaign was...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

rich34
09-13-2015, 08:17 AM

Trump is a libertarian.

Hey this man is anything you want him to be. Even though he tries to play the card of not being a politician, in realty, he's probably the most sleazy politician I have ever seen. First "the Bible is the greatest book ever written" with his book just behind it of course. Talk about pandering to the religious right. Then the "I cherish woman.." crap. Yaw hear that lady's. And now this? Boy he's going to get a big surprise when Ron comes out swinging on his ass. Then he'll be attacking Ron as a loser. He might have just fallen into a trap lol.

rich34
09-13-2015, 08:20 AM
Too late for anybody to mount a serious challenge to Rand in Kentucky at this point. Rand does need to spend the next six years repairing his image though or he will face a serious primary challenge six years from now. What saved Rand this time around is that the establishment was as surprised by how lousy his campaign was we were.

Defeatist attitude much? There's still plenty of time.

jkob
09-13-2015, 08:22 AM
Attacking Jeb would be great, Jeb and his family represents the GOP establishment so it doesn't matter what he's polling at since it's great red meat plus that dodo head Jeb doesn't hit back nearly as hard. Jeb's faltering campaign and tepid support just means more people would agree with Rand is saying and there is still a large percentage of voters who think Jeb will be the eventually nominee so him polling so low combined with that belief to me looks like an opportunity to score points. I think Trump is proving that 'punching down' doesn't really hurt you and Jeb is above Rand anyways, Trump is making great gains embarrassing the other candidates, you can't underestimate how pissed off the American public is right now and how much even Republican base voters despise their own party. Carson and Cruz's strategy with Trump has obviously worked out better, Carson is the consensus #2 right now and Cruz is remaining relevant. They'll both be in good position if Trump does drop out eventually for whatever reason to pick up his voters whereas Rand will have been Trump's punching bag for months and months. Trump seems pretty simple, if you don't cross him then he won't cross you and if you offer him praise then he'll return it. Rand should of defended Trump's supporters and their concerns instead of just dismissing them and insulting the guy that has excited them so much, that will not endear him to that base of voters. Who knows, maybe he could of even influenced Trump policy positions since he is pretty fluid with them.

Too late now tho I guess...

Origanalist
09-13-2015, 08:53 AM
I don't see attacking trump as bad strategy. Trump can't continue on a roll forever, sooner or later reality is going to seep in and Rand can say "see, that's what I've been talking about".

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COw_J_XVAAAEALm.jpg

Liberty74
09-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Let Trump continue to act like an ass or a school kid brat. Several coworkers are done with him after his latest comment about not voting for Carly because she's "ugly." This guy is a fake conservative celebrity with an empty suit. His 30% will start finding a new home soon. Give it a few more debates and watch the implosion slowly happen...

Trump will not be the nominee.

Rand weak on immigration and foreign policy? He's the only guy that wants to realistically secure the border and the only guy that doesn't support illegal wars and spreading us thin across the world which in return endangers America. Rand should tweet that "Trump endangers America with his failed neocon policies."

SilentBull
09-13-2015, 09:09 AM
I hope Rand ignores Trump at the debate. Let the others attack him. Fiorina may be the best for that. Rand should say that line about going home if Republicans are gonna be about revenue neutral tax reform. This is his chance to sell himself as the true outsider and the only one serious about the debt. Before no one else wanted to attack Trump. Now it seems other "outsider" candidates will do that so Rand doesn't have to waste his time.

acptulsa
09-13-2015, 09:23 AM
I hope Rand ignores Trump at the debate. Let the others attack him. Fiorina may be the best for that. Rand should say that line about going home if Republicans are gonna be about revenue neutral tax reform. This is his chance to sell himself as the true outsider and the only one serious about the debt. Before no one else wanted to attack Trump. Now it seems other "outsider" candidates will do that so Rand doesn't have to waste his time.

Agreed.

This is not a flip flop. I said before I hoped he would attack Trump in the previous debate, and that I was glad he did. I stand by all of that. But now it's just what the Establishment, a.k.a. our enemy, expects from him. That's certainly one reason not to do it. Another is, I think that's the direction his advantage would lie at this point. He needs to stay ahead of the crowd.

He'll be asked about Trump, of course. And when he is, I'd like to hear this:

I'm not talking about Trump today. I pointed out that Trump is an all rhetoric, no substance flip flopper before it was cool. I led the way and made it cool. But as Will Rogers said,

"You can't beat an administration by attacking it. You have to show some plan of improving on it."--Will Rogers 1924

So, if you moderators aren't going to ask me about issues of substance and importance to the country, I'm going to pick one to talk about and run with it. And what I want to talk about, and America wants to talk about, is the economy, which I will fix by removing the regulatory stumbling blocks from the path of small businesses. Any business in the country needs three lawyers and five accountants just to do business today, and that's an obvious advantage to the big corporations. Well, what's good for the big corporations is not necessarily what is good for America, and the way I'll fix the economy is to make you free to innovate and be entrepreneurial, and let you start small businesses and fix the economy yourselves. Which, I think you'll agree, is better than bribing Congress to give some huge corporation an unfair advantage.

It takes two to do the Establishment Tango--someone to give out bribes and someone to take them. I am neither. And that's what makes me just about the most unique person on this stage today.

RonPaulMall
09-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Rand weak on immigration and foreign policy? He's the only guy that wants to realistically secure the border and the only guy that doesn't support illegal wars and spreading us thin across the world which in return endangers America. Rand should tweet that "Trump endangers America with his failed neocon policies."

Last thing Rand needs to do is tweet about Trump. You may thing Rand is great on immigration and foreign policy, but you are in a single digit minority in that view among Republican voters. Most voters think Rand is pro-Amnesty and they see his foreign policy as a jumbled mess. Rand needs to forget about Trump and focus everything on developing a strong, coherent message and repairing his own brand among Conservative voters. If Trump were to implode tomorrow, it wouldn't help Rand in the slightest. All Rand's problems are internal, not external. He needs to ignore the horse race and focus on himself.

He needs to use the debate to showcase the roll out of a brand new Rand.

acptulsa
09-13-2015, 09:30 AM
All Rand's problems are internal, not external.

I dispute that He Who Must Not Be Named has no external threats whatsoever. Also...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

goldwater's ghost
09-13-2015, 10:01 AM
well its on now. rand chose this strategy of going after trump. now he's gotta pull it off. hopefully he gets in a few good zingers in the debate that make the news cycle. the media will be on our side if he does. they want trump taken down as much as we do

kahless
09-13-2015, 10:14 AM
Last thing Rand needs to do is tweet about Trump. You may thing Rand is great on immigration and foreign policy, but you are in a single digit minority in that view among Republican voters. Most voters think Rand is pro-Amnesty and they see his foreign policy as a jumbled mess. Rand needs to forget about Trump and focus everything on developing a strong, coherent message and repairing his own brand among Conservative voters. If Trump were to implode tomorrow, it wouldn't help Rand in the slightest. All Rand's problems are internal, not external. He needs to ignore the horse race and focus on himself.

^Exactly. I see Rand is doubling down on a failed strategy. A few people I talked to that were coming around to Rand and certainly not hostile to him now hate him. He should have just stuck to the issues and attacking the opposing party on policy.

All Rand stands for now to the average Republican voter that watches FNC is that he is anti-Trump.

twomp
09-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Senator Paul is barely getting any media coverage these days. If he were to stop attacking teh Donald, he would disappear from the news altogether.

RabbitMan
09-13-2015, 11:36 AM
Guys, I love talking shop as much as you all do. But come on.
None of us have any idea what is going to happen or what needs to be done.

No one could have predicted that Jeb would be struggling to break out of single digits.
No one could have predicted that Carson would be doing so well despite having zero substantive policies.
No one could have predicted the apparent implosion of Scott Walker's campaign.

This cycle is stupid. There. I said it. I hope we can start making sense of it soon.

Liberty74
09-13-2015, 11:44 AM

It's a little to late for the Trump/Rand feud to just disappear. It's Rand who started calling Trump out. And when Trump implodes, voters will know that it was Paul who told them the TRUTH.

In regards to Rand rebranding himself, he won't be able to do that in the measly five minutes CNN will give him like Fox News did. He needs to stick to being Rand. He needs to stick to the issues. And he needs to attack the FAKES. IF I was Rand in the debate, attack like a snake, saying something like, "There is only 1 person on this stage who has been a part of the Democrat Party. There is only 1 person on the stage who has supported abortion. There is 1 person on stage who has donated to Hillary multiple times and even Weiner. That candidate is not me." Then talk about how electing a true conservative is important while avoiding fake conservatives that get the party NO WHERE but more of the same. Rand doesn't have to attack by interrupting like the last debate.

adissa
09-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Remember to be especially nice about Trump, boys and girls. We're going to want all of his numb nuts when they come over here after he drops out. :rolleyes:

Xenliad
09-13-2015, 12:24 PM
Senator Paul is barely getting any media coverage these days. If he were to stop attacking teh Donald, he would disappear from the news altogether.

It was a trap either way. If he attacked Trump, the Donald Drones get mad at him. If he kept to himself, he would have faded like Walker.

erowe1
09-13-2015, 12:36 PM
This is good for Rand.

acptulsa
09-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Remember to be especially nice about Trump, boys and girls. We're going to want all of his numb nuts when they come over here after he drops out. :rolleyes:

Amazing to see the fans of the Official Anti-PC Candidate trying to get criticism of their guy declared politically incorrect, isn't it?

CPUd
09-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Somehow they followed me even though I packed and moved my home
No matter what, they come and they come they won't leave me alone
Another monkey in the mail could make me lose my mind
But look at me shuffling through the stack until I finally find
Some trumps in swimsuits
Some trumps in Jackboots
Some trumps in hard hats
Some trumps who love cats
I've got some shaved trumps; that's trumps devoid of any hair
I've got depraved trumps dressed up in women's underwear

francisco
09-13-2015, 01:29 PM

Trump is a libertarian.

Of course he is. Haven't you heard? He's really good at golf!

And he's rich!

Brian4Liberty
09-13-2015, 01:30 PM

Yep, the blackout is on. Everyone but Rand gets coverage for attacking Rand. Today it was Jindal that was the great Trump slayer. Sometimes it's Jeb or Fiorina or Carson. Rand rarely gets coverage.

Rand was right that attacking Trump would be popular with the media, but the blackout pretty much cancels it out.

acptulsa
09-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Rand was right that attacking Trump would be popular with the media, but the blackout pretty much cancels it out.

It does now that the rest of the candidates finally noticed that the wind had shifted, and started hollering, 'Me too!'

Which is why I say Rand needs to move on, and treat every Trump question he gets as an opportunity to talk about whatever he wants to talk about but they're afraid to ask him.

CPUd
09-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Washington (CNN)Donald Trump says has no worries about the next GOP presidential debate, although he expects his fellow candidates to come after him.

And one of those candidates, Rand Paul, found himself the target of Trump's latest Twitter salvo Saturday afternoon.

The remarks began when Trump was asked after a campaign event in Boone, Iowa, how he was preparing for next Wednesday's debate.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/12/politics/donald-trump-debate-prep-rand-paul-attacks/index.html

Brian4Liberty
09-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Which is why I say Rand needs to move on, and treat every Trump question he gets as an opportunity to talk about whatever he wants to talk about but they're afraid to ask him.

Absolutely. That should be his standard procedure, give the asked question (or more likely an attack) 10 seconds and segue to whatever he wants to talk about. If they say he didn't answer their question, he should do it again and get even more time.

Brian4Liberty
09-13-2015, 01:59 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/12/politics/donald-trump-debate-prep-rand-paul-attacks/index.html

Ugh. Yeah, they don't give him much TV time, but in print they will quote all of Trump's attacks on Rand without mentioning what Rand said about Trump!

freejack
09-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Ugh. Yeah, they don't give him much TV time, but in print they will quote all of Trump's attacks on Rand without mentioning what Rand said about Trump!

This was never a fair fight in any regard.

jaymur
09-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Good one.

I don't see attacking trump as bad strategy. Trump can't continue on a roll forever, sooner or later reality is going to seep in and Rand can say "see, that's what I've been talking about".

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COw_J_XVAAAEALm.jpg

Liberty74
09-14-2015, 07:35 AM

Which just goes to show how powerful the media and talk radio is. They control the thinking and herd the sheep for the establishment.

Patrick Henry
09-14-2015, 09:21 AM
well its on now. rand chose this strategy of going after trump. now he's gotta pull it off. hopefully he gets in a few good zingers in the debate that make the news cycle. the media will be on our side if he does. they want trump taken down as much as we do
I think that "attacking' is the way to go, because it generally works. Especially when going after Dbags. He needs to go after Bush as well.

Slave Mentality
09-14-2015, 01:34 PM
Somehow they followed me even though I packed and moved my home
No matter what, they come and they come they won't leave me alone
Another monkey in the mail could make me lose my mind
But look at me shuffling through the stack until I finally find
Some trumps in swimsuits
Some trumps in Jackboots
Some trumps in hard hats
Some trumps who love cats
I've got some shaved trumps; that's trumps devoid of any hair
I've got depraved trumps dressed up in women's underwear

Are you going to share man?

ThePaleoLibertarian
09-14-2015, 01:47 PM
The only thing Rand has done after attacking Trump was make himself look like a part of the establishment. The problem is, that if he stops going after him now, it'll look like Trump won their fight, and that Rand doesn't want another licking. It's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Peace&Freedom
09-14-2015, 02:01 PM
The only thing Rand has done after attacking Trump was make himself look like a part of the establishment. The problem is, that if he stops going after him now, it'll look like Trump won their fight, and that Rand doesn't want another licking. It's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Rand could use the high profile platform of the debate to transition to a triangulated approach, by clarifying where he agrees with Trump on a key issue, and then distancing himself from both Trump's blustering, policy-free approach and the establishment's extreme put downs of Trump. Rand needs to position himself as also being anti-establishment, but with substance and principle.

Post-debate, he could then continue to transition, by answering every question about Trump with "I understand what he's basically concerned about, but the media's been out to lunch attacking him on it," and then present his statesman like version of the anti-establishment position. This way, he will be stealing Trump's themes, instead of appearing to attack his supporters.

RonPaulMall
09-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Rand could use the high profile platform of the debate to transition to a triangulated approach, by clarifying where he agrees with Trump on a key issue, and then distancing himself from both Trump's blustering, policy-free approach and the establishment's extreme put downs of Trump. Rand needs to position himself as also bring anti-establishment, but with substance and principle.

Post-debate, he could then continue to transition, by answering every question about Trump with "I understand what he's basically concerned about, but the media's been out to lunch attacking him on it," and then present his statesman like version of the anti-establishment position. This way, he will be stealing Trump's themes, instead of appearing to attack his supporters.

They could, yes, but there has been no indication from Team Rand that they have interest whatsoever in such a strategy. Trump's huge refugee faux pas last week for example, elicited no response at all from Rand's camp.

erowe1
09-14-2015, 02:43 PM

That's not the only thing it accomplished. But that was one downside. This was more on account of how he attacked Trump than the fact that he did. He should have done it as a champion of smaller government, rather than the Republican party. It seems like his more recent attacks on Trump have gotten better. If he can establish himself as the anti-Trump candidate, and get credit as the one who more than anyone else takes him down, that will be a huge boon for him.

erowe1
09-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Rand could use the high profile platform of the debate to transition to a triangulated approach, by clarifying where he agrees with Trump on a key issue, and then distancing himself from both Trump's blustering, policy-free approach and the establishment's extreme put downs of Trump. Rand needs to position himself as also bring anti-establishment, but with substance and principle.

There is nothing to agree with Trump on. Can you imagine vying for the Republican nomination and going out there talking about what you like about Obama?

Peace&Freedom
09-14-2015, 03:00 PM
There is nothing to agree with Trump on. Can you imagine vying for the Republican nomination and going out there talking about what you like about Obama?

My use of the word "issue" was a bit general or careless. I'm talking about Rand adopting the themes Trump has stumbled into---being anti-establishment, emphasizing cultural matters, standing up to PC shaming or bullying, being 'energizing' instead of presenting like another over-rehearsed boring pol.

Rand shouldn't attack Trump's positions directly (it makes him look too establishment), but embrace his urgent attitude about plainly talking about and prioritizing issues like immigration, and challenging mainstream frameworks about dealing with such subjects. Rand should lead with criticizing Trump's hostile reception by the MSM, and then follow up by offering his own version of anti-establishment solutions.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
09-14-2015, 03:05 PM

I wasn't aware that Obama was the frontrunner for the Republican nomination with a wide base of support among GOP voters.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
09-14-2015, 03:07 PM
They could, yes, but there has been no indication from Team Rand that they have interest whatsoever in such a strategy.

Rand is a lot like his father in that he doesn't seem super-interested in doing what his campaign handlers tell him to do. "Team Rand" might not be interested, but that doesn't mean Rand won't go ahead and do it anyway.

erowe1
09-14-2015, 03:12 PM
I wasn't aware that Obama was the frontrunner for the Republican nomination with a wide base of support among GOP voters.

He might as well be, since Trump is.

phill4paul
09-14-2015, 04:43 PM
Tax plan. Tax plan. Tax plan. Repeal the payroll tax. Repeal the payroll tax. Repeal the payroll tax.

adam220891
09-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Are you going to share man?

It's a BNL reference

CaptainAmerica
09-14-2015, 05:38 PM
http://s27.postimg.org/3vox7v5pv/iouhuh.jpg

Henry Rogue
09-14-2015, 06:50 PM
It just hit me, Trump is Rand's Morton Downey, jr.

CPUd
09-14-2015, 07:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gWDtJ7o.gif

Jan2017
09-15-2015, 07:08 PM
. . . Which is why I say Rand needs to move on, and treat every Trump question he gets as an opportunity to talk about whatever he wants to talk about but they're afraid to ask him.
I agree . . . Jindal no less called out Trump effective enough.

Rand could turn any Trump question into an answer on a policy issue interesting to voters -
not just one candidate's opinion of another over how much media attention they get, etc.

Rand could get them back on topic - answering as a question about immigration or foreign policy or
whatever are the biggest difference(s) he wants to emphasize . . .

And he doesn't even need to mention "The Don" by last name even anymore, imo.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/The-Don-godfather-mafia-Cosa-Nostra-26-21-0-3cm-Mouse-Mat-Mouse-Pad-Laptop-Gaming_jpg_350x350_zpszr73gw85.jpg (http://s372.photobucket.com/user/sunblush/media/The-Don-godfather-mafia-Cosa-Nostra-26-21-0-3cm-Mouse-Mat-Mouse-Pad-Laptop-Gaming_jpg_350x350_zpszr73gw85.jpg.html)