PDA

View Full Version : The Great American Butthurt

Lucille
09-07-2015, 11:38 AM
http://www.strike-the-root.com/great-american-butthurt

"Personally, I’m affronted by the constant barrage of affronts. When did we, as a nation, become such weenies? How is it that such a collection of whiners has become the vocal majority? Certain people are constantly offended and demand the attention of others so they can express the epic level of their personal offendedness."

I have a confession to make. Kick me out of any possible minority group I might be a part of but didn’t know it, but any word ending in “-ism” annoys the daylights out of me.
Feminism
Racism
Sexism
Tokenism
Words to express our affront are being made up left and right by the mere addition of “ism” to the ends of what were formerly perfectly neutral words. It seems like pundits can take basically any word and add “ism” to the end of it and that means they’re being slighted. The list of isms could go on and on, but instead of promoting more equality, all they’re doing is promoting more division. Isn’t that divisionism?
[...]
So vast is the recent level of Great American Butthurt that no mainstream news outlet is complete without breathlessly exposing a secret “ism” each day. These secret “isms” are called “microaggressions,” defined as “the everyday verbal, nonverbal, and environmental slights, snubs, or insults, whether intentional or unintentional, which communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative messages to target persons based solely upon their marginalized group membership.”

Oh my gosh. SHUT UP ALREADY.
[...]
Here are some examples to support my highly unpopular opinion on this matter. Feel free to yell at me or agree with me in the comments. I promise not to tell you I’m offended. I really don’t care if you are black, brown, white, gay, straight…whatever. I’m just not into whining.
[...]
When will people stop searching for things to be outraged about? I’m personally outraged by the misplaced outrage. Why not take responsibility and make it impossible for anyone to pass you over because your performance is so incredible? Instead of using butthurt as fuel for your social media whining, why not use it as fuel to excel? Why not use it to propel you to make the world a better place?

You want to even things up in America?
Go help someone.
Teach an illiterate person to read.
Feed a hungry child.
Mow an elderly neighbor’s lawn.
Volunteer.
Stop focusing all of your energy on crying the blues and expressing your butthurt. Focus it on making the world better. Be a shining example of your minority or trod-upon group instead of a wailing beacon of warning.

At the risk of sounding like I’m trying to silence people (because I seriously am – I just can’t take it anymore) …

STOP. WHINING.

Official thread on the perpetually butthurt whiners: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?481193-Official-Social-Justice-Warrior-%28SJW%29-Thread

Lucille
09-08-2015, 04:25 PM
The Rise of the Culture of Victimhood Explained
Replacing honor and dignity with victimhood
https://reason.com/blog/2015/09/08/the-rise-of-the-culture-of-victimhood-ex

Over at the Righteous Mind blog, New York University moral psychologist Jonathan Haidt is signposting a fascinating article, "Microaggression and Moral Cultures," by two sociologists in the journal Comparative Sociology. The argument in the article is that U.S. society is in the midst of a large-scale moral change in which we are experiencing the emergence of a victimhood culture that is distinct from the honor cultures and dignity cultures of the past. If true, this bodes really bad for future social and political peace.

In honor cultures, people (men) maintained their honor by responding to insults, slights, violations of rights by self-help violence. Generally honor cultures exist where the rule of law is weak. In honor cultures, people protected themselves, their families, and property through having a reputation for swift violence. During the 19th century, most Western societies began the moral transition toward dignity cultures in which all citizens were legally endowed with equal rights. In such societies, persons, property, and rights are defended by recourse to third parties, usually courts, police, and so forth, that, if necessary, wield violence on their behalf. Dignity cultures practice tolerance and are much more peaceful than honor cultures.

Sociologists Bradley Campbell and Jason Manning are arguing that the U.S. is now transitioning to a victimhood culture that combines both the honor culture's quickness to take offense with the dignity culture's use of third parties to police and punish transgressions. The result is people are encouraged to think of themselves as weak, marginalized, and oppressed. This is nothing less than demoralizing and polarizing as everybody seeks to become a "victim."

[...] [In other words, as progress is made toward a more equal and humane society, it takes a smaller and smaller offense to trigger a high level of outrage. The goalposts shift, allowing participants to maintain a constant level of anger and constant level of perceived victimization.]

[...] [Again, the paradox: places that make the most progress toward equality and diversity can expect to have the “lowest bar” for what counts as an offense against equality and inclusivity. Some colleges have lowered the bar so far that an innocent question, motivated by curiosity, such as “where are you from” is now branded as an act of aggression.]

[...] In the settings such as those that generate microaggression catalogs, though, where offenders are oppressors and victims are the oppressed, it also raises the moral status of the victims. This only increases the incentive to publicize grievances, and it means aggrieved parties are especially likely to highlight their identity as victims, emphasizing their own suffering and innocence. Their adversaries are privileged and blameworthy, but they themselves are pitiable and blameless. [p.707-708] [This is the great tragedy: the culture of victimization rewards people for taking on a personal identity as one who is damaged, weak, and aggrieved. This is a recipe for failure — and constant litigation — after students graduate from college and attempt to enter the workforce].
Haidt's analysis is well worth your attention (and awfully dispiriting).

Dispiriting? More like depressing as hell. One good thing about an economic collapse will be these precious, sensitive snowflakes will be too busy scrounging for food like stray dogs every day to invent reasons to be butthurt victims.

tod evans
09-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Sociologists Bradley Campbell and Jason Manning are arguing that the U.S. is now transitioning to a victimhood culture that combines both the honor culture's quickness to take offense with the dignity culture's use of third parties to police and punish transgressions.

Hmmm,

Was just discussing this with some people who believe it's okay for government to kill on their behalf but it's not "prudent" for them to do so on their own...

acptulsa
09-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Oh, say does that star spangled banner yet flap
O'er the land of the whiny and the home of the brat?

Lucille
09-09-2015, 01:32 PM
http://voxday.blogspot.com/2015/09/rationalist-naivete.html

SJWism is the revival of the blasphemy concept, but it is far more dangerous than the religious laws ever were because it lacks a textual anchor. At least with religion, you always knew what blasphemy was and could readily avoid committing it. With the current thought police, they will inform you of your offenses after you have committed them, and neither ignorance of the law nor its previous nonexistence will provide you with any defense.

mrsat_98
09-09-2015, 03:53 PM
http://truepodcastmedia.com/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/butthurt-butthurt-everywhere.jpg