PDA

View Full Version : CNN: Rand Paul Talks Migrants, Kentucky Clerk Ruling, Trump, Syria

LatinsforPaul
09-03-2015, 02:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxieC4uP-OA

hells_unicorn
09-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Rock solid interview, on point, yet still with some needed nuance. This is how Rand is going to get his poll numbers back up, by making a strong media blitz and drawing out Trump and the others. It'll be some time before Rand begins surging, in part due to manipulative polling, but he is still very much in this thing.

georgiaboy
09-03-2015, 04:26 PM
clever - he used McDonald's "disaster" line against him a couple of times. :)

good interview.

LibertyEagle
09-03-2015, 04:46 PM
I don't particularly like that he misconstrued what Trump actually said, but whatever. Overall the interview was good though.

goldwater's ghost
09-03-2015, 08:08 PM
very good interview but he's way too nuanced for the average voter. He'll make a great president but I dont know if you can get to be president with these kind of arguments. Americans like black and white. Nuance gets you applause from the rafters

RonPaulMall
09-03-2015, 09:07 PM
very good interview but he's way too nuanced for the average voter. He'll make a great president but I dont know if you can get to be president with these kind of arguments. Americans like black and white. Nuance gets you applause from the rafters

Nuance doesn't work because Conservatives have been lied to for so long that they interpret nuance as the opening gambit of a betrayal. And even if it isn't signaling a future a betrayal, it still denotes weakness.

Example: "we got involved in this Syrian Civil War, and we got involved on the side of ISIS and AQ and I think that was a terrible travesty and a terrible mistake".

Really?!! You "think" it was a mistake? How about nailing Hillary Clinton to the damn wall for this. Trump correctly calls her the worst Secretary of State in history, but he never really gets in to the details too much. Rand knows the details. Why doesn't Rand take that refugee question and use it to explain how everything that has happened in Syria and Libya is because of the wars that Hillary Clinton idiotically started. That ISIS would not exist without Hillary. That without Hillary's war in Syria, there would be no dead babies on beaches. Talk about how the Genocide against Christianity that has been unleashed and that because of Hillary the entire Christian population of the Middle East is likely to be dead within the next couple years! Talk in thunder Rand!

As for the refugee question, he does a hell of a lot of dancing to imply his answer is no without actually saying it. This does nothing to attract the support of the open borders/invade and invite crowd while at the same time being insufficiently firm to appease the Conservative base. In other words, it turns everybody off. Just...Say...No. And if he was clever, he'd say no and then add that he thinks the primary destination of these refugees should be the wealthy Gulf States that aren't taking in a single soul. Qatar is spending 260 billion on a soccer tournament, but apparently can't spring for a single buck to take care of their fellow Arabs in need. Start talking in thunder, Rand. Though the hair at least looks nice in this interview. Never let it get longer than this.

nikcers
09-03-2015, 09:35 PM
I just think that people mischaracterize him because the way he presents himself doesn't match his rhetoric. They see it as double speak when he has nuanced opinions. They see it as doublespeak when he apologizes when people get offended. A comparison could be he switches his title online as Dr Paul, but interviews as Senator Paul.

SilentBull
09-03-2015, 09:57 PM
I wish Rand wouldn't talk about Trump offending immigrants. It's too easy to defend Trump from that attack, as Trump never said most immigrants are criminals. He should focus on the other issues.

speciallyblend
09-04-2015, 03:06 PM
the kim davis situation is not religious liberty. It is about her doing her job and if she cannot? she should resign her elected position. She is not forced to be there.

trump is controlled opposition. Rand Paul vs Hillaryx10 on steroids in the gop primary.

LibertyEagle
09-04-2015, 04:41 PM
I wish Rand wouldn't talk about Trump offending immigrants. It's too easy to defend Trump from that attack, as Trump never said most immigrants are criminals. He should focus on the other issues.

Absolutely and in fact, him saying that just sounds like all the establishment calling ILLEGAL ALIENS, "immigrants". This is red meat for conservatives and he's royally stepping in it by doing this.

I don't know what he's doing. People are thinking he is establishment, because he is talking like establishment. This ain't the way to win.

JK/SEA
09-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Absolutely and in fact, him saying that just sounds like all the establishment calling ILLEGAL ALIENS, "immigrants". This is red meat for conservatives and he's royally stepping in it by doing this.

I don't know what he's doing. People are thinking he is establishment, because he is talking like establishment. This ain't the way to win.

so you think Rand needs to be more like your candidate Trump?.....

NewRightLibertarian
09-04-2015, 06:56 PM

His strategy from the get go has been to be above the fray and paint himself as the most sensible and electable option. It hasn't worked, but he's sticking to it.

libertariantexas
09-05-2015, 02:05 AM
the kim davis situation is not religious liberty. It is about her doing her job and if she cannot? she should resign her elected position. She is not forced to be there.

I almost fell off my chair when I saw Rand going to bat for this wacko.

He's just too damned desperate to appeal to the religious right.

Rand, you may pick up a few evangelicals here and there, but you are NOT GOING TO BEAT HUCKABEE OR SANTORUM and their ilk at their own game when it comes to pandering to the extremist social conservatives.

If you become just another run of the mill Republican, YOU LOSE. You aren't good enough, established enough, tall enough, rich enough, or charismatic enough to beat them at pure business as usual politics. You will get crushed like a grape if you try to become just another Republican.

Not only that, when you pander to the extremist social conservative Republicans, you alienate the libertarian wing of the party.

You remember the libertarian conservatives, don't you, Rand? In falling all over yourself to appeal to the right wing social conservatives, you seem to have forgotten about us. The people who put Ron Paul on the map, and the people who got you elected to the Senate. We are the ones who form the base of your support. You might want to consider that if you start sounding like every other GOP candidate, you are going to lose us.

Frankly, he's already lost me.

At this point, I really don't care if Rand wins or loses- he sounds like all the rest of them...

Danke
09-05-2015, 02:10 AM
I

Frankly, he's already lost me.

At this point, I really don't care if Rand wins or loses- he sounds like all the rest of them...

Oh no, he lost another Obama voter, I wonder if he ever had any of them in the first place.

ThePaleoLibertarian
09-05-2015, 02:28 AM
Every time he opens his mouth about immigration, he loses people. Rand just isn't getting it; the immigration debate has changed.

RabbitMan
09-05-2015, 03:01 AM
Every time he opens his mouth about immigration, he loses people. Rand just isn't getting it; the immigration debate has changed.

What has changed about the immigration debate? Sounds like the same stupid debate we have been having for the past two hundred years.

ThePaleoLibertarian
09-05-2015, 03:05 AM
What has changed about the immigration debate? Sounds like the same stupid debate we have been having for the past two hundred years.
Before Trump got involved with the race, the GOP primary was going to be a contest to figure out who could sell themselves as the most "caring" and "understanding" on immigration. Jeb was going to set the tone; but no longer. Trump changed all that, which is why -- though I don't support him -- I can't bring myself to hate him. He changed the conversation for the better. Rand is still lagging behind, which is particularly absurd when you consider that he proposed legislation to get rid of birthright citizenship. He could've changed the conversation himself, but it almost seems like he's spooked to come across as too tough on immigration.

dannno
09-05-2015, 04:05 AM
I almost fell off my chair when I saw Rand going to bat for this wacko.

I knew it!! You aren't libertarian...

GunnyFreedom
09-05-2015, 04:22 AM
I knew it!! You aren't libertarian...
Not unless the libertarian response to something we don't like is to throw it in jail. -
:-/

thoughtomator
09-05-2015, 04:28 AM

The dawning of the fact that mass migration is now the popular method of warfare for third-world countries against first-world countries, and that traitors in the political systems of those first-world countries are aiding and abetting.

libertariantexas
09-05-2015, 05:13 AM
I

Oh no, he lost another Obama voter, I wonder if he ever had any of them in the first place.

As a Libertarian, I supported Ron Paul's Presidential campaign in '88, while you were probably still trying to figure out how to zip up your pants without your Mommy's help.

As a Texan and a libertarian Republican and later a Libertarian, I contributed to Ron Paul's Congressional campaigns starting in the 1990s.

I contributed the maximum amount to Ron Paul's Presidential campaigns in 2008 and 2012. My wife did the same. Plus contributed more money to establishing local Ron Paul campaign offices here in SA. Plus bought a ton of gear and handed it out to friends and family, anyone who would wear it, even my 8-year old nephew. Plus donated equipment (mostly computers, routers, printers) to the local campaign office. Plus joined other grass roots supporters to print signs and T-shirts and the like months before the "official" campaign ever got it's shit together. Plus served as a GOP delegate. Plus put in countless hours waving signs, attending rallys, handing out literature, attending the Rally for the Republic (and I wasn't some local Minnesota yokel* who just had to stagger out of bed and show up for a couple of free beers, I drove across the country to be there), etc.

How about you, Spanky, what have you done, other than sit behind your keyboard and post crap on forums about other people that you know next to nothing about? Yeah, I know, you post a lot on these forums. Big deal. It ain't worth a warm bucket of spit in the real world.

Hell, son, if you spent more time actually DOING SOMETHING, and less time playing keyboard warrior, maybe Ron would have had a chance.

Rand Paul's campaign got off to a weak start, and has driven off the rails since then. It seems like it's just one screw up after another, always pandering to the mainstream GOP, while ignoring or pissing off his libertarian fiscal conservative base.

I honestly don't know what the heck he's thinking. But he sure as Hell isn't getting my money until he gets his shit together. If he want's to be Rick Santorum lite, that's fine, but he ain't getting my support.

If you feel like supporting him, go for it. Write a big check if you feel like doing more than just mouthing off on these forums.

If he's close, I'll still give him a half-hearted vote, but he's not seeing anymore of my money (and frankly, I've given him very little even before this latest gaff) until he stops trying to out Santorum Santorum.

Until Rand starts acting more like Ron Paul and less like Mike Huckabee, my support for him will be, at best, tepid. Every time he panders to the GOP establishment, he pisses off many of us who supported Ron largely because he was NOT the establishment.

This may be beyond your ability to comprehend, but going out of your way to try and piss off potential Rand Paul donors by throwing out insults and acting like a braying jackass probably isn't terribly helpful to the campaign, and it won't make your dick any bigger, so you might want to try another approach.

Have a nice day!

* My apologies to the many good folks from Minnesota I met at Ronstock (including the wonderful hosts) and the Rally for the Republic, this comment was reserved for one particular local yokel (who clearly does not understand the electoral college system).

libertariantexas
09-05-2015, 05:18 AM
Not unless the libertarian response to something we don't like is to throw it in jail. -
:-/

It's got nothing to do with "like."

She is a public servant who is not only refusing to do her job, she is refusing to allow her staff to do their jobs, in contravention to a judicial order.

You may not like that order, but the judge has legal standing to do what he did.

BTW, he did NOT just sweep in and arrest her. He gave her every chance to do her job OR let her staff do their jobs OR resign. She chose jail. So be it.

One less authoritarian idiot in government imposing her views on the citizenry is not a bad thing, folks. This woman was an authoritarian thug trying to bully citizens. I will not be weeping crocodile tears for her. I'm sure she's already got a book deal with the right wing press...

GunnyFreedom
09-05-2015, 06:57 AM

She is a public servant who is not only refusing to do her job, she is refusing to allow her staff to do their jobs, in contravention to a judicial order.

You may not like that order, but the judge has legal standing to do what he did.

BTW, he did NOT just sweep in and arrest her. He gave her every chance to do her job OR let her staff do their jobs OR resign. She chose jail. So be it.

One less authoritarian idiot in government imposing her views on the citizenry is not a bad thing, folks. This woman was an authoritarian thug trying to bully citizens. I will not be weeping crocodile tears for her. I'm sure she's already got a book deal with the right wing press...

You have no idea what you are talking about. One of the reasons I was forced out of office was over my opposition to the marriage amendment. Nevertheless I am not a hypocrite. This lady is not behaving how you want her to, and your solution is to throw her in jail.

liveandletlive
09-05-2015, 07:10 AM
she was jailed for contempt of court - like many others who are charged. that's not really anything special.

liveandletlive
09-05-2015, 07:22 AM

bottom line is she is an elected official. She isnt doing her job and performing the service in which she was elected to do. Pretty tired of this religious freedom debate. She could have excercised her "religious freedom" and NOT have gone to jail. Just quit. She knows damn well many more gays will be asking for their licenses throughout her tenure.

LibertyEagle
09-05-2015, 09:14 AM
so you think Rand needs to be more like your candidate Trump?.....

No, but keep it up. You're just about to get me there. :mad:

JK/SEA
09-05-2015, 09:16 AM
No, but keep it up. You're just about to get me there. :mad:

you gave me a neg rep?...

looks like i'm over the target.

GunnyFreedom
09-05-2015, 09:45 AM
bottom line is she is an elected official. She isnt doing her job and performing the service in which she was elected to do. Pretty tired of this religious freedom debate. She could have excercised her "religious freedom" and NOT have gone to jail. Just quit. She knows damn well many more gays will be asking for their licenses throughout her tenure.
I haven't mentioned religion once. I have commented on the distinct irony of a 'libertarian' supporting the throwing of people in jail for not behaving how they want.

Danke
09-05-2015, 04:17 PM
As a Libertarian, I supported Ron Paul's Presidential campaign in '88, while you were probably still trying to figure out how to zip up your pants without your Mommy's help.

As a Texan and a libertarian Republican and later a Libertarian, I contributed to Ron Paul's Congressional campaigns starting in the 1990s.

I contributed the maximum amount to Ron Paul's Presidential campaigns in 2008 and 2012. My wife did the same. Plus contributed more money to establishing local Ron Paul campaign offices here in SA. Plus bought a ton of gear and handed it out to friends and family, anyone who would wear it, even my 8-year old nephew. Plus donated equipment (mostly computers, routers, printers) to the local campaign office. Plus joined other grass roots supporters to print signs and T-shirts and the like months before the "official" campaign ever got it's shit together. Plus served as a GOP delegate. Plus put in countless hours waving signs, attending rallys, handing out literature, attending the Rally for the Republic (and I wasn't some local Minnesota yokel* who just had to stagger out of bed and show up for a couple of free beers, I drove across the country to be there), etc.

How about you, Spanky, what have you done, other than sit behind your keyboard and post crap on forums about other people that you know next to nothing about? Yeah, I know, you post a lot on these forums. Big deal. It ain't worth a warm bucket of spit in the real world.

Hell, son, if you spent more time actually DOING SOMETHING, and less time playing keyboard warrior, maybe Ron would have had a chance.

Rand Paul's campaign got off to a weak start, and has driven off the rails since then. It seems like it's just one screw up after another, always pandering to the mainstream GOP, while ignoring or pissing off his libertarian fiscal conservative base.

I honestly don't know what the heck he's thinking. But he sure as Hell isn't getting my money until he gets his shit together. If he want's to be Rick Santorum lite, that's fine, but he ain't getting my support.

If you feel like supporting him, go for it. Write a big check if you feel like doing more than just mouthing off on these forums.

If he's close, I'll still give him a half-hearted vote, but he's not seeing anymore of my money (and frankly, I've given him very little even before this latest gaff) until he stops trying to out Santorum Santorum.

Until Rand starts acting more like Ron Paul and less like Mike Huckabee, my support for him will be, at best, tepid. Every time he panders to the GOP establishment, he pisses off many of us who supported Ron largely because he was NOT the establishment.

This may be beyond your ability to comprehend, but going out of your way to try and piss off potential Rand Paul donors by throwing out insults and acting like a braying jackass probably isn't terribly helpful to the campaign, and it won't make your dick any bigger, so you might want to try another approach.

Have a nice day!

* My apologies to the many good folks from Minnesota I met at Ronstock (including the wonderful hosts) and the Rally for the Republic, this comment was reserved for one particular local yokel (who clearly does not understand the electoral college system).

1988? I was training to become a fighter pilot. You voted for Obama, enough said.

speciallyblend
09-05-2015, 08:45 PM
I

I'm sorry the point he is making is true, I was a ron paul delegate in 2008/2012. I honestly do not feel like i should be involved this time. I will vote for rand if he wins the gop primary. but i have 0 interest in involving myself with the gop corruption. hopefully rand wins the gop primary. I'm not a big fan of rand right now but hopefully he changes his tune after gop primary if the gop est allows him to even win. i doubt. if the gop voters are like trump orcan support trump? then the gop is doomed.

but hey the gop doesn't need my vote or my friends or a libertarian in texas. i heard the gop has an ace up their sleeves illegal aliens as in greys.

speciallyblend
09-05-2015, 08:48 PM
1988? I was training to become a fighter pilot. You voted for Obama, enough said.

so what if he voted for obama. my wife had voted for obama the first time and voted gary johnson when obama ran the second time, if the gop wants voters ? they very well maybe former obama supporters. some even voted obama against romney ,it happens.

Danke
09-05-2015, 08:55 PM
so what if he voted for obama. my wife had voted for obama the first time and voted gary johnson when obama ran the second time, if the gop wants voters ? they very well maybe former obama supporters. some even voted obama against romney ,it happens.

I met your wife at the Rally For The Republic. I surprised at her vote.

Dianne
09-05-2015, 08:58 PM

Well I didn't. But they may have a chance to do so again if Romney gets back in to save the Republicrats from the Demlicans. What a match up ... Romney against Hillary. I would begin preparing a fallout shelter with plenty of tuna fish and bottled water. Of course, we should all begin those preps now in light of the mafia candidates running now. There are only three I feel safe with at the moment... Rand #1, Carson #2, or Cruze #3. I know I'll get yelled at, but will you feel better with Jeb Bush?????

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
09-05-2015, 09:28 PM
I see what you're saying. So many people poured their heart and soul into Ron's campaigns only to see the GOP cheat them out of their victories and even physically assault and break limbs, etc. But still, I think you'd at least tell a pollster you were going to vote for Rand, right? Unless of course you and so many others like you just gave up on participating in the GOP altogether which I guess is understandable, too. Still, leaving your registration as R and voting Rand in a primary shouldn't be too much to ask.

I'm sorry the point he is making is true, I was a ron paul delegate in 2008/2012. I honestly do not feel like i should be involved this time. I will vote for rand if he wins the gop primary. but i have 0 interest in involving myself with the gop corruption.

Occam's Banana
09-05-2015, 09:46 PM
I haven't mentioned religion once. I have commented on the distinct irony of a 'libertarian' supporting the throwing of people in jail for not behaving how they want. No force, no fraud, NO JAIL. Seems pretty simple to me ...

dannno
09-06-2015, 04:15 AM

When she was elected, she didn't have to perform actions that were against her religion.

Then the federal laws changed.

It seems like the best way to handle this is let the citizens decide if they want to hold a special recall election to vote her out and vote in somebody else.

PaulConventionWV
09-06-2015, 06:04 AM
she was jailed for contempt of court - like many others who are charged. that's not really anything special.

In other words, we don't like her, so lock her up on trumped up charges. Nothing special, to be sure, but also nothing good.

PCKY
09-06-2015, 07:15 PM
The bottom line with Kim Davis is what the Supreme Court did by legislating when that is not their role. This will likely be one of a few cases that involve conscientious objection. Kim Davis is upholding the oath of office that she took and the Ky Constitution to which she swore to when she took office. Neither the Ky governor nor the legislature have any desire to actually pass legislation that would make the Supreme Court ruling actually law. Nor do they want to take the step to just fix the process, which is what Kim Davis has been asking for since this started. It's an election year and a good sized chunk of the electorate agree with her. As recently as 2004 the Ky Constitution was amended to state marriage as defined to be between 1 man and 1 woman. The spineless Ky democrats aren't touching this with a 10 foot pole. The Federal judge in this could have fixed this as well but opted for contempt instead.
Personally, I think Rand's position, which actually speaks to the process as well as the perception makes the most sense. And, he's the only Ky politician actually speaking to the issue.

libertariantexas
09-12-2015, 04:51 AM
You have no idea what you are talking about. One of the reasons I was forced out of office was over my opposition to the marriage amendment. Nevertheless I am not a hypocrite. This lady is not behaving how you want her to, and your solution is to throw her in jail.

No, my "solution" is for her TO DO HER DAMNED JOB. If she can't or won't do her damned job, resign. If she decided to be an authoritarian thug and use the heavy hand of government to push her religious beliefs not only on the citizens, but on the employees who work for her, then she gets what she gets.

This is NOT a small business owner being forced by government to do something she doesn't want, this is a (very well paid) GOVERNMENT THUG using her power to thwart the rights of the citizenry.

Again, if she feels she can't do her job because "Jesus tells her so," or whatever, she should just resign and take whatever job she is qualified for. Greeter at Walmart seems to be a good fit for her skill level, though it will pay a bit less than the $80k per year she is sponging off the taxpayers for currently NOT doing her job.

libertariantexas
09-12-2015, 05:32 AM

Yeah? You were a clueless, wet behind the ears 2LT in the Air Force? Ooh, big military hero. Trying to learn to drive without crashing. Thank you for your service, I'm sooooooo impressed.

Did you detect sarcasm there? I hope so, because you should have.

At that time, I was also a (not quite as junior) officer in the Army serving in Germany. Fairly early in my 31 year military career (1981-2012), active and reserve.

I'm not bragging about my military career (as you apparently are, as if it was a big deal), as I was just a citizen soldier. But please don't try to pull that "I'm a hero and you ain't shit because because I pulled my pud and collected a pay check for a few years while wearing a uniform in the peace time military" bull crap that so many military dorks who never did a damned thing try to pull- as if they are heroes for just having worn a uniform at some point in their life. It won't work on those of us who actually served.

I'm still willing to educate you on why I voted out of spite for Obama and why it made no difference.

See, while your brain was apparently overwhelmed learning to be a junior military officer, leaving no room to understand how politics work in this country, I actually capable of figuring out how politics, and especially the electoral college, work.

Since you didn't ask, I'll explain- pay attention, 2LT, you might learn something.

I voted for Obama as a "FUCK YOU!" to the GOP for nominating senile jackass warmonger John McCain and half-wit Sarah Palin.

I'm a Texan. I had three choices on the ballot. Warmonger jackass McCain and Idiot Palin, Fake Libertarian Bob Barr and Fake Libertarian huckster/used car salesman Wayne Allyn Root, or Obama/Biden. Ron Paul was not even a write-in candidate, and if I had bothered to figure out how to cast a FUTILE "write-in" for Ron Paul (I don't even think it was possible to do so on the electronic machines we had) , it wouldn't have even counted. This was much discussed on these forum at the time.

So given that I KNEW Texas would go to McCain and his idiot friend no matter what I did, I chose "Obama" as a "fuck you" to the GOP. It had no effect other than to say "FUCK YOU" to John McCain, Sarah Palin, and the GOP. I don't regret it for an instant, because unlike you, I'm smart enough to understand the implications of my actions and I still say FUCK YOU to John McCain, Sarah Palin, and the GOP. I had considered simply not voting in the Presidential race, but the actions of McCain and his idiot side kick late in the election were so heinous, I decided to cast a vote against them.

In 2012, the Libertarian Party regained it's senses (probably because many Libertarian Party stalwarts like myself came back to the party in '12 when it became obvious that Ron Paul was not going to be the GOP nominee) and nominated a decent candidate, Gary Johnson, so I voted for him.

libertariantexas
09-12-2015, 05:42 AM
I met your wife at the Rally For The Republic. I surprised at her vote.

You shouldn't be.

Some of us libertarian types were so offended by the hard right social conservative turn by McCain and his half wit buddy late in the campaign, that we decided to vote against McCain NOT because we supported Obama, but because he was less offensive than McCain/Dim Wit.

BTW, there were others among us (not just myself, Kenny, and his wife) who attended the Rally for the Republic who did the same.

McCain and witless Palin went full braying jackass social conservative late in the campaign. I know they they caused quite a few of us libertarian (and liberal/libertarian- you need to remember that a fair percentage of "Ron Paul" supporters were anti-war DEMOCRATS before learning about Ron Paul) types to vote for Obama out of spite for the actions of senile McCain and dip shit Palin.

libertariantexas
09-12-2015, 05:48 AM
I see what you're saying. So many people poured their heart and soul into Ron's campaigns only to see the GOP cheat them out of their victories and even physically assault and break limbs, etc. But still, I think you'd at least tell a pollster you were going to vote for Rand, right? Unless of course you and so many others like you just gave up on participating in the GOP altogether which I guess is understandable, too. Still, leaving your registration as R and voting Rand in a primary shouldn't be too much to ask.

You know, if a pollster calls, I'll probably tell them I'm voting for Rand, only because they likely won't even allow a Libertarian option :) And if he gets the nomination, I wil vote for him (as will my wife).

But the guy has just not done anything to inspire me. Every time I start to think he's okay, and not too far from where his dad was, he does something stupid that makes me think "what the HELL is Rand thinking?"

Honestly, I don't know where Rand stands. Is he libertarian Republicanish (e.g. Ron Paul lite?)? Or is he a business as usual Republican, willing to support every right wing social conservative nut ball?

So far, I don't know.

And until he convinces me he's "Ron Paul lite" rather than "Rick Santorum lite," my dollars are staying home...

But he has

libertariantexas
09-12-2015, 06:00 AM
The bottom line with Kim Davis is what the Supreme Court did by legislating when that is not their role. This will likely be one of a few cases that involve conscientious objection. Kim Davis is upholding the oath of office that she took and the Ky Constitution to which she swore to when she took office. Neither the Ky governor nor the legislature have any desire to actually pass legislation that would make the Supreme Court ruling actually law. Nor do they want to take the step to just fix the process, which is what Kim Davis has been asking for since this started. It's an election year and a good sized chunk of the electorate agree with her. As recently as 2004 the Ky Constitution was amended to state marriage as defined to be between 1 man and 1 woman. The spineless Ky democrats aren't touching this with a 10 foot pole. The Federal judge in this could have fixed this as well but opted for contempt instead.
Personally, I think Rand's position, which actually speaks to the process as well as the perception makes the most sense. And, he's the only Ky politician actually speaking to the issue.

Well, Rand's right wing social conservative "support" of this yahoo may play well in the hills of Kentucky, but he ain't running for President of Kentucky, he's running for President of the USA.

Rand is currently stuck in the lower third of a huge pile of Republican candidates. The ONLY thing he has to differentiate himself from the crowd is his libertarianism.

He ain't going to distinguish himself from the crowd by trying to out Huckaby Huckaby or out Santorum Santorum. In other words, he ain't going to win by being a "me too! look at me! look at me!" half assed version of the extremist right wing social conservatives. And by sticking his nose into this hornets nest, all he's doing is establishing himself as a half-assed version of Huckaby/Santorum/Carson/Perry/Fiorina/etc. There are PLENTY of extremist social conservatives in the race- some of them are almost comical in how many times they try to fit "Jesus" into every statement. Rand ain't going to out do those clowns. He ain't going to win by trying to out social conservative the social conservatives. And he loses votes/money/support from the libertarians and moderates every time he desperately tries (the members of the GOP that he actually CAN win over).

Jonderdonk
09-12-2015, 06:32 AM
You know, if a pollster calls, I'll probably tell them I'm voting for Rand, only because they likely won't even allow a Libertarian option :) And if he gets the nomination, I wil vote for him (as will my wife).

But the guy has just not done anything to inspire me. Every time I start to think he's okay, and not too far from where his dad was, he does something stupid that makes me think "what the HELL is Rand thinking?"

Honestly, I don't know where Rand stands. Is he libertarian Republicanish (e.g. Ron Paul lite?)? Or is he a business as usual Republican, willing to support every right wing social conservative nut ball?

So far, I don't know.

And until he convinces me he's "Ron Paul lite" rather than "Rick Santorum lite," my dollars are staying home...

But he has

Have you seen Ron's endorsement?

SpiritOf1776_J4
09-12-2015, 10:11 AM

trump is controlled opposition. Rand Paul vs Hillaryx10 on steroids in the gop primary.

First, she is doing her job. It isn't her job to choose which laws she operates under, the supreme court didn't decide those laws.

Second, I and every Christian am being forced to participate in this because we pay taxes and support government. Marriage is an uniquely religious institute. Government is not, and should not be establishing religion in marriage, let alone one a large number of people find to be an ABOMINATION.

God Bless Kim Davis. Also, thanks for pointing out this election's wedge issue. Thanks for playing!

Danke
09-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Yeah? You were a clueless, wet behind the ears 2LT in the Air Force? Ooh, big military hero. Trying to learn to drive without crashing. Thank you for your service, I'm sooooooo impressed.

Did you detect sarcasm there? I hope so, because you should have.

At that time, I was also a (not quite as junior) officer in the Army serving in Germany. Fairly early in my 31 year military career (1981-2012), active and reserve.

I'm not bragging about my military career (as you apparently are, as if it was a big deal), as I was just a citizen soldier. But please don't try to pull that "I'm a hero and you ain't shit because because I pulled my pud and collected a pay check for a few years while wearing a uniform in the peace time military" bull crap that so many military dorks who never did a damned thing try to pull- as if they are heroes for just having worn a uniform at some point in their life. It won't work on those of us who actually served.

I'm still willing to educate you on why I voted out of spite for Obama and why it made no difference.

See, while your brain was apparently overwhelmed learning to be a junior military officer, leaving no room to understand how politics work in this country, I actually capable of figuring out how politics, and especially the electoral college, work.

Since you didn't ask, I'll explain- pay attention, 2LT, you might learn something.

I voted for Obama as a "FUCK YOU!" to the GOP for nominating senile jackass warmonger John McCain and half-wit Sarah Palin.

I'm a Texan. I had three choices on the ballot. Warmonger jackass McCain and Idiot Palin, Fake Libertarian Bob Barr and Fake Libertarian huckster/used car salesman Wayne Allyn Root, or Obama/Biden. Ron Paul was not even a write-in candidate, and if I had bothered to figure out how to cast a FUTILE "write-in" for Ron Paul (I don't even think it was possible to do so on the electronic machines we had) , it wouldn't have even counted. This was much discussed on these forum at the time.

So given that I KNEW Texas would go to McCain and his idiot friend no matter what I did, I chose "Obama" as a "fuck you" to the GOP. It had no effect other than to say "FUCK YOU" to John McCain, Sarah Palin, and the GOP. I don't regret it for an instant, because unlike you, I'm smart enough to understand the implications of my actions and I still say FUCK YOU to John McCain, Sarah Palin, and the GOP. I had considered simply not voting in the Presidential race, but the actions of McCain and his idiot side kick late in the election were so heinous, I decided to cast a vote against them.

In 2012, the Libertarian Party regained it's senses (probably because many Libertarian Party stalwarts like myself came back to the party in '12 when it became obvious that Ron Paul was not going to be the GOP nominee) and nominated a decent candidate, Gary Johnson, so I voted for him.

You sure do project a lot, and know little of what are trying to address.