PDA

View Full Version : Arby's worker sends kop packin'

tod evans
09-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Fast Food Worker Refuses to Serve Cop

http://serzy.com/fast-food-worker-refuses-to-serve-cop/

A worker at an Arby’s fast food restaurant in Pembroke Pines, Florida recently refused to serve a police officer.

Officials said the reason the officer was refused serve was because of his affiliation with the police department.
In recent years animosity toward law enforcement has increased due in large part to police violence against citizens and the protests response to perceived police violence in Ferguson, Missouri, Baltimore, Maryland and elsewhere around the country.
“I am offended and appalled that an individual within our community would treat a police officer in such a manner. It is unacceptable, and I will be contacting the Arby’s CEO to demand an apology,” Chief Dan Giustino, with the Pembroke Pines Police Department, said in a statement.
With the exception of race, and more recently sexual orientation, it is not illegal for a business or its employees to deny service to individuals.
A few states, however, have expanded the perceived discrimination of denying service. In California, it is illegal for a business owner to discriminate based on unconventional dress.
In 2013 a gay couple in Massachusetts filed a discrimination suit against a Colorado bakery for refusing to bake a cake for their wedding. The complaint was filed by the ACLU in Colorado.
Prior to this, a Washington florist was sued for refusing to supply flowers for a same-sex wedding.

TaftFan
09-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Unless this is Arbys policy, and it isn't, the worker should be fired.

RJB
09-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Huh! That Arby's worker is an idiot. Just wait, one day he will realize he's not wearing a seat belt. And just who do you think he's going to call when he needs a citation for a seat belt violation? A hippie? No! The police of course!

Christian Liberty
09-02-2015, 02:18 PM

They have the right to do that of course but still... the police... ugh...

dannno
09-02-2015, 02:21 PM

How about letting Arby's make that call?

I wouldn't let a valuable employee go just to get a few extra sales to cops.

Plus maybe they will get more customers if the customers know cops aren't welcome. I know I would be more likely to go to a place like that.

TaftFan
09-02-2015, 02:22 PM
How about letting Arby's make that call?

I wasn't aware I was stopping them.

Christian Liberty
09-02-2015, 02:26 PM
I hope the employee isn't fired but yes its their decision. I'd be tempted to adopt this policy but business wise its not going to go over well.

juleswin
09-02-2015, 02:33 PM
There's got to be a better way to do this. I really don't see anyway this would not end up backfiring on them. Just refusing order to a police man that did nothing to you? society in general won't let such transgressions fly. Good luck to them, I hope the restaurant doesn't shutter in 6 months because of community boycott.

I've got to say this about arby's, nothing would prevent me from going to arby's for their loaded Italian, even if Trump owned the damn place. That is one heck of a sandwich. Their Gyros are also good too

fisharmor
09-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Waiting for the part of the story where we find out the cops expected free food.....

Origanalist
09-02-2015, 02:44 PM
offended and appalled

Lol, the cops are just as big of whiners is ***** are.

ZENemy
09-02-2015, 02:50 PM
The best way to protest the cops is to stop calling them.

CaptainAmerica
09-02-2015, 03:05 PM
I don't care. I really don't. If I was refused service I would just go somewhere else and laugh about it

Henry Rogue
09-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Should have just spit in his drink and no one would be the wiser.

"Double Bacco cheeseburger, it's for a cop."
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJnioUMsTWwTube.

Sola_Fide
09-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Should have just spit in his drink and no one would be the wiser.

"Double Bacco cheeseburger, it's for a cop."
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJnioUMsTWwTube.

Haha...exactly what I thought. I don't know how cops eat out anyway. If I was one, I wouldn't do it.

Henry Rogue
09-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Haha...exactly what I thought. I don't know how cops eat out anyway. If I was one, I wouldn't do it.

I'm always a little leary even though I'm a mundane. I try to be as polite and friendly as possible.

phill4paul
09-02-2015, 03:58 PM
There's got to be a better way to do this. I really don't see anyway this would not end up backfiring on them. Just refusing order to a police man that did nothing to you? society in general won't let such transgressions fly. Good luck to them, I hope the restaurant doesn't shutter in 6 months because of community boycott.

Depends on the community and the business. Several coffee shops in Oregon have refused service to police. The cops expected free coffee at one so the owner gave them the boot. Now he, his shop and employees are under constant surveillance.

UWDude
09-02-2015, 08:39 PM
I'd fire one of my employees for refusing to help anyone, unless they were incredibly rude.

Slave Mentality
09-02-2015, 10:35 PM

Best career move he has probably made.

Cissy
09-02-2015, 10:51 PM
Depends on the community and the business. Several coffee shops in Oregon have refused service to police. The cops expected free coffee at one so the owner gave them the boot. Now he, his shop and employees are under constant surveillance.

But, but, but, only *criminals* put pressure on store owners to give them free items/ money in exchange for "protection" and under real or implied threats!

Christian Liberty
09-02-2015, 11:11 PM

Why would you want to be one?

(Well, I guess if the Bible doesn't have a blue print for government you can't be TOO opposed to this one really :p )

oyarde
09-03-2015, 07:59 AM
Lol, the cops are just as big of whiners is ***** are.

What if the cop was gay ?

oyarde
09-03-2015, 08:00 AM
Best career move he has probably made.

Yep.

oyarde
09-03-2015, 08:02 AM

Crossed my mind as well.You would think they could find some place friendly where they knew someone and avoid strangers.

oyarde
09-03-2015, 08:04 AM
I don't care. I really don't. If I was refused service I would just go somewhere else and laugh about it

Same here , if nobody wants my cash , does not bother me.I may just keep it , go home fire up the grill , or invest it in beer.

phill4paul
09-05-2015, 05:37 AM
Manager fired, employee suspended after dust-up with officer at Arby's

Arby’s has fired the manager and indefinitely suspended a clerk two days after a Pembroke Pines police officer said she was denied service at the restaurant because she was a cop.

The dismissal of Angel Mirabal, 22, and suspension of Kenneth Davenport, 19, were confirmed Thursday evening by Arby’s spokesman Jason Rollins in an email.

After finding himself so busy with other customers than he could not complete Martin’s transaction, Davenport said he asked Mirabal for help. That’s when Mirabal made his remark, Davenport said.

Earlier Thursday Davenport’s grandfather said the teen is “overwhelmed by all the attention” the incident has generated.

Thomas McCutcheon said he would request a meeting with police in an effort to defuse the controversy that ballooned into a firestorm on social media after Police Chief Dan Giustino issued a news release and demanded an apology from Arby’s corporate executives that was quickly offered.

“I would love to speak to Ms. Martin and her supervisor,” said McCutcheon.

“His life is just starting, and a black mark against him is not going to help,” said McCutcheon, 70, of Miramar. “He is a shy kid.”

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-pembroke-pines-arbys-flap-20150902-story.html

JK/SEA
09-05-2015, 09:22 AM
i dunno...i think i would feed these guys. Get'em fatter. Maybe extra bacon and cheese to speed up the fat in the arterial walls...

heavenlyboy34
09-05-2015, 09:31 AM
i dunno...i think i would feed these guys. Get'em fatter. Maybe extra bacon and cheese to speed up the fat in the arterial walls...

Unless someone has weird genes, eating fat alone won't clog arteries. Inflammation of tissue does. (this happens a number of ways I don't have time to get into nao)

JK/SEA
09-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Unless someone has weird genes, eating fat alone won't clog arteries. Inflammation of tissue does. (this happens a number of ways I don't have time to get into nao)

hmmm...interesting...will look further into that. Until then, i did find this..

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Saturated-Fats_UCM_301110_Article.jsp

sparebulb
09-05-2015, 10:07 AM
It is too bad that someone released the names of the two employees. This was not a criminal or grievous act to warrant making their names public. No one cares about the identities of people that work McNothing jobs. Unless, of course, you want these two people to continue to pay for this to the end of time. The local cops will never forget and will dump on them if given a chance.

asurfaholic
09-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Would a manager get fired and an employee get fired if I was refused service because they didn't like my employer?

I doubt it.

screw the cops nice move. Go get a better job now.

Origanalist
09-10-2015, 10:53 PM

He could always start a band....

morfeeis
09-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Huh! That Arby's worker is an idiot. Just wait, one day he will realize he's not wearing a seat belt. And just who do you think he's going to call when he needs a citation for a seat belt violation? A hippie? No! The police of course!

My only regret is that i have so little rep to give to such a great post.....

GunnyFreedom
09-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Back when this just happened I commented on a FB post that I wish I lived in the area so I could give that Arby's my business. Some lady said that it gave her nightmares that there were people like me walking around. I said "Good!" She needs the nightmares.

Acala
09-11-2015, 04:11 PM
I wish I owned a business and could hire the guy.

phill4paul
09-11-2015, 05:34 PM
So did the maligned kid ever get to go back to work? Or is he now marked for life because of the butt-hurt cops?

Weston White
09-12-2015, 12:51 AM

No, he should be counseled as to their corporate policies, and only be fired once a pattern of misconduct has been documented.

ETA:

And in any case police department "officials" and spokespersons should be shunned for using abusing their authority in even making this a public issue, demanding apologies, getting lowly employees fired and the like. If a business does not want to cater to law-dogs then take their business elsewhere or go to another franchise store that has employees who hold another point-of-view.

PaulConventionWV
09-12-2015, 01:02 AM
I wasn't aware I was stopping them.

What you said was a bit presumptuous, don't deny.

The worker should be fired if, and only if, it is the opinion of upper management that it should be so. You can't make that call.

PaulConventionWV
09-12-2015, 01:04 AM
The best way to protest the cops is to stop calling them.

They would show up anyway.

PaulConventionWV
09-12-2015, 01:13 AM
It is too bad that someone released the names of the two employees. This was not a criminal or grievous act to warrant making their names public. No one cares about the identities of people that work McNothing jobs. Unless, of course, you want these two people to continue to pay for this to the end of time. The local cops will never forget and will dump on them if given a chance.

You'd be surprised. Unfortunately, that's American culture for you. It could have happened anywhere, even at McDonald's. It just doesn't. We want to know who's refusing service to our fine boys in blue. Also, it's probably at least partially due to the police department's demand for an apology that this was made public. They were butt hurt so they demanded a very public apology for the Arby's employees. When someone demands a public apology, it's pretty much a given that the people involved are going to be known.

specsaregood
09-18-2015, 11:44 PM
So did the maligned kid ever get to go back to work? Or is he now marked for life because of the butt-hurt cops?

Evidently he was never actually fired, but on paid vacation. The manager was fired though.
http://dailycaller.com/2015/09/18/arbys-is-still-paying-employee-who-allegedly-refused-to-serve-police-officer/

The Arby’s employee who was suspended nearly two weeks ago for allegedly refusing to serve a police officer is still getting a paycheck from the company, more than two weeks after the incident.

A spokesman for Arby’s told The Daily Caller News Foundation that the company and the employee, Kenneth Davenport, 19, mutually agreed that the he would go on temporary paid leave.

“That’s where things stand at this point,” Jason Rollins, an Arby’s spokesman, told TheDCNF.

I'd wager the manager that was fired was not a minority of some sort.

tod evans
09-19-2015, 05:35 AM
So Arby's new "policy" is that members of the most violent street gang known to man must be shown difference rather than scorn.......

Never again Arby's!

TheTexan
09-19-2015, 06:40 AM
Brave officers tirelessly protect our streets from marijuana smokers, drivers without licenses, and other such violent criminals, ...
And this is the respect they get

cajuncocoa
09-19-2015, 07:33 AM

He could always start a band....

The one on the far right.
http://s2.dmcdn.net/JJ6RJ/1280x720-IiP.jpg