PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul says KY clerk’s marriage protest is ‘part of the American way

William Tell
09-01-2015, 06:16 PM
https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_908w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2015/08/27/National-Politics/Images/GOP_2016_Paul-03cf2.jpg&w=1484

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has given a mixed endorsement to a home state county clerk whose refusal to issue marriage licenses (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/09/01/will-kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-issue-gay-marriage-licenses-after-supreme-court-ruling/) to same-sex couples has become national news.

"I think people who do stand up and are making a stand to say that they believe in something is an important part of the American way," Paul told Boston Herald Radio (https://www.bostonherald.com/herald_radio)during a three-day campaign swing through the Northeast.

When asked about Rowan County, Kentucky clerk Kim Davis's ongoing refusal to issue licenses, in defiance of the Supreme Court's 2015 Obergefell v. Hodges ruling, Paul's campaign pointed to his Monday interview with the conservative Herald. The question was succinct, asking if Paul "back[ed] Kim Davis and her religious right" to defy the ruling. Paul's answer took him across the plains of legal theory before ending with the "making a stand" statement.

"I think one way to get around the whole idea of what the Supreme Court is forcing on the states is for states just to get out of the business of giving out licenses," Paul said. "Alabama has already voted to do this, they’re just no longer going to give out licenses. And anybody can make a contract. And then if you want a marriage contract you go to a church. And so I’ve often said we could have gotten around all of this also in the sense that I do believe everybody has a right to a contract."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/09/01/rand-paul-says-ky-clerks-gay-marriage-protest-is-part-of-the-american-way/

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
09-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Nullification, interposition... Kentucky Resolution, anyone?

goldwater's ghost
09-01-2015, 06:31 PM
cmon rand. dont give me that wishy washy crap. yes its a libertarian idea that your father espoused but you're in a hunt for the presidency and you need to get some momentum. ted cruz is going to snap up all the voters that could be going to you with that kind of half hearted answer. just say the supreme court was wrong. its not their business to define what marriage is. quote scalia. and take the side of the religious here in their fight against the govt. christians are now facing jail time and loss of work over their beliefs. are they supposed to become second class citizens in this new age. take up the banner and fight for them. do that and you will legitimize yourself in the eyes of many conservatives. out cruz cruz on this one

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
09-01-2015, 06:40 PM
He should quote Thomas, not Scalia. Thomas is the only justice with a grounding in natural law.

Sola_Fide
09-01-2015, 07:38 PM
He should quote Thomas, not Scalia. Thomas is the only justice with a grounding in natural law.

That's not accurate.

Crashland
09-01-2015, 07:54 PM
I agree it's part of the American way. Now stop issuing the rest of the marriage licenses too

juleswin
09-01-2015, 08:16 PM
I agree it's part of the American way. Now stop issuing the rest of the marriage licenses too

I think she has actually stopped issuing all marriage licenses. She is being sued by a gay and straight couple. I just have to wonder if Rand would still be saying the same thing if this clerk had stopped issuing all concealed carry permits or all license plates. Just making life a living hell to the people living in her country

I mean, its always cool when someone with govt power does something you agree with but hurts as hell when that same person is using it to stand in the way of something that you support. Like I said in my other post, the woman should carry on her protest at the unemployment line

goldwater's ghost
09-01-2015, 08:50 PM
easy way to defend her. just say she will follow the law of the land on gay marriage when obama follows the law of the land on illegal immigration and securing our borders. tie the two together

LibertyEagle
09-01-2015, 09:01 PM
I really like how he makes a suggestion to the various states of how they might deal with this. But, I also agree with goldwater's ghost. Republicans like strong men. Rand needs to show that more. He has it in him for sure.

But, please Rand, don't do like your father and use your candidacy for merely teaching.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
09-01-2015, 09:19 PM
That's not accurate.

You make no argument to back your assertion, therfore I must assume it is no more than ignorant blather.

You should read more of Thomas and his opinions to cure your ignorance. His dissent in this case would be a good start.

Krugminator2
09-01-2015, 09:29 PM
You make no argument to back your assertion, therfore I must assume it is no more than ignorant blather.

You should read more of Thomas and his opinions to cure your ignorance. His dissent in this case would be a good start.

Not necessarily relevant here but Rand has said Thomas is by far the Justice most in line with view of the judiciary.

I would like to see Rand get a question in the debates about what kind of judges he would appoint. It is an issue where Rand is really much different and much better than everyone else. He is also very knowledgeable and passionate about this stuff. It would be nice if he would discuss Lochner and explain how Cruz takes the wrong position which ultimately lead him to be a big booster of John Roberts' nomination. It is an issue he could knock out of the park if he came in ready and scripted for it.

Sola_Fide
09-01-2015, 09:34 PM
"I think one way to get around the whole idea of what the Supreme Court is forcing on the states is for states just to get out of the business of giving out licenses," Paul said. "Alabama has already voted to do this, they’re just no longer going to give out licenses. And anybody can make a contract. And then if you want a marriage contract you go to a church. And so I’ve often said we could have gotten around all of this also in the sense that I do believe everybody has a right to a contract."

Rand is on the money with this.

jj-
09-01-2015, 09:35 PM
It would be nice if he would discuss Lochner and explain how Cruz takes the wrong position which ultimately lead him to be a big booster of John Roberts' nomination. It is an issue he could knock out of the park if he came in ready and scripted for it.

lol, I find it perplexing that someone could think the electorate will follow that argument.

Sola_Fide

Both Scalia and Thomas are natural lawyers.

Crashland
I think she has actually stopped issuing all marriage licenses. She is being sued by a gay and straight couple. I just have to wonder if Rand would still be saying the same thing if this clerk had stopped issuing all concealed carry permits or all license plates. Just making life a living hell to the people living in her country

I mean, its always cool when someone with govt power does something you agree with but hurts as hell when that same person is using it to stand in the way of something that you support. Like I said in my other post, the woman should carry on her protest at the unemployment line

Fair point.

jj-
09-01-2015, 09:37 PM

Sorry to get into your discussion - that's a statement, not an argument.

Krugminator2
09-01-2015, 09:38 PM
lol, I find it perplexing that someone could think the electorate will follow that argument.

Ron Paul managed to discuss the Federal Reserve. I'm not sure anyone got what he was saying but he tried.

I think Rand could he explain Lochner and his view of the judiciary in under a minute if he were on his game. That is why I said it had to be scripted and on point. In my view it is a way more important issue for a libertarian society than anything else.

jj-
09-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Ron Paul managed to discuss the Federal Reserve. I'm not sure anyone got what he was saying but he tried.

He was running an educational campaign. He explained it mostly in speeches, not in debates. And it's easier to explain. So for these 3 reasons I'm sure Rand won't succeed at what you're proposing. Not because he is incapable, mainly because the electorate won't follow.

Sola_Fide
09-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Sorry to get into your discussion - that's a statement, not an argument.

There doesn't need to be an argument. Both Scalia and Thomas are natural lawyers.

Christian Liberty
09-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Rand is on the money with this.

Better yet, secede. Seriously, this country is so messed up and our churches are filled with idolatry of it. It needs to go away...

groverblue
09-02-2015, 12:03 AM
Well played, if you ask me.

idiom
09-02-2015, 01:08 AM
He needs to attack the institution of government marriage as racist in its founding and talk about it in abolition terms.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
09-02-2015, 02:37 AM

You are some special kind of clueless dipshit. Natural law is the basis of the freedom philosophy and of these United States. Justice Thomas is a scholar of and proponent of natural law. Scalia is a critic of natural law.

It's kind of shocking that someone posting on RonPaulForums could be so ignorant of the basics of freedom and liberty.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
09-02-2015, 02:37 AM

You are some special kind of clueless dipshit. Natural law is the basis of the freedom philosophy and of these United States. Justice Thomas is a scholar of and proponent of natural law. Scalia is a critic of natural law.

It's kind of shocking that someone posting on RonPaulForums could be so ignorant of the basics of freedom and liberty.

squarepusher
09-02-2015, 02:54 AM
wow this gal is just a pillar or moral high ground

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/09/01/kentucky-clerk-fighting-gay-marriage-has-wed-four-times?src=usn_tw

Kim Davis got pregnant with her third husband's twins while married to her first husband. Her second husband adopted them before she moved on to her fourth husband. (http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/09/01/kentucky-clerk-fighting-gay-marriage-has-wed-four-times?src=usn_tw)