PDA

View Full Version : Shot in the dark

Anticollectivist
08-30-2015, 08:39 AM
I know there are a lot of intelligent obviously liberty minded people here so I thought I would see if I might be able to get some suggestions from others here about some ideas Ive had in my head for a while. First of all I have absolutely no belief in the idea that anything worthwhile or productive is accomplished by the political process. Ive always believed politics to be the single greatest waste of human resources. Instead I'm considering some ideas about how to try and educate the public in creative and hopefully productive ways concerning the importance of free market capitalism and the historical devastating destruction of government and central banking. Im wondering If anyone else here might have some suggestions on creative ideas on how to somehow intelligently educate others on the importance of these subjects.

I'm specifically interested in creative ideas from people who share my passion on the importance of these matters. Politics and involvement in government is not the solution its the problem. Truth and a return to free market capitalism and sound money is the answer.

Lucille
08-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Please create an account and join us!

bunklocoempire
08-30-2015, 09:36 AM
http://s6.postimg.org/v3n1wjp4h/A_Shot_in_the_Dark.png

Yes! Get in the car!

angelatc
08-30-2015, 09:41 AM
There's room for everybody.

Personally, I am convinced that education isn't the answer, for a myriad of reasons. First and foremost is that logic is no match for force. You can explain to a thief why it is ethically wrong for him to take your wallet. Why using violence to take your wallet is morally abhorrent. Even that his business plan is unsustainable on a larger scale.

You will be 100% right, but he is just going to thump you in the head and take your cell phone too.

Suzanimal
08-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Please create an account and join us!

This.

Yes! Get in the car!

Is that a two seater with naked people in it? :D Lucille needs to scooch over so I can get in too.

pcosmar
08-30-2015, 10:02 AM
Shot in the dark

Always know your target, and what is beyond it.

There will always be politics (even among family and friends),, but any government should be limited and local.

Anticollectivist
08-30-2015, 10:03 AM
To bunklocoempire, that's rather clever, I like that lol. It took me a minute or so to figure out the pic association. I sure wouldn't mind getting in the same car with a nude Elke Sommer but I wouldn't care much for seeing hairy Peter Sellers nude. That guy should have shaved his back and shoulders before doing any shirtless movie scenes. Unless he and the director thought that showing all his bizarre body hair somehow added more physical comedy to his movie scenes.

Suzanimal
08-30-2015, 10:12 AM
To bunklocoempire, that's rather clever, I like that lol. It took me a minute or so to figure out the pic association. I sure wouldn't mind getting in the same car with a nude Elke Sommer but I wouldn't care much for seeing hairy Peter Sellers nude. That guy should have shaved his back and shoulders before doing any shirtless movie scenes. Unless he and the director thought that showing all his bizarre body hair somehow added more physical comedy to his movie scenes.

It's a big tent, Anticollectivist. For the most part, we're a pro body hair forum.

Anticollectivist
08-30-2015, 10:52 AM
It's a big tent, Anticollectivist. For the most part, we're a pro body hair forum.

Thanks, but Im not quite sure what that last part means. :)

And I wasn't really thinking of education in the usual sense. Strangely enough Ive actually had an idea about trying to get a movie script written about some the ideas I mentioned and made into a movie. I know that may sound like a crazy thing to try and do but I think something like that would be a much more productive endeavor than the continued idealistic hopeless idea of trying to solve anything constructively and productively through the political process.

And its a little ironic that I actually just finished watching a movie called Baby Blue Marine (1976) starring Jan-Michael Vincent and Richard Gere that kind of shows some of the absurdities and delusions of war and collectivism in general (though Im sure the latter is unfortunately not what the liberal movie makers intended to show but rather my own bigger picture interpretation). There are so many different ways that a well made movie could be made to show how destructive government and central banking has been throughout the past century and how incredible life would be in this country today if the wonders of free market capitalism during the industrial revolution had been allowed to continue and not been stifled by progressive government and the creation of the Fed during the early 20th century.

I tend to be a dreamer about these ideas and its hard for me to find others that share my dream and that cant seem to realize the obvious obstacles preventing these idealistic dreams from becoming reality. Free market capitalism and sound money are two of mankind's greatest inventions. Not allowing them to function and operate freely as they should are some of mankind's greatest historical atrocities.

wizardwatson
08-30-2015, 11:15 AM
I know there are a lot of intelligent obviously liberty minded people here so I thought I would see if I might be able to get some suggestions from others here about some ideas Ive had in my head for a while. First of all I have absolutely no belief in the idea that anything worthwhile or productive is accomplished by the political process. Ive always believed politics to be the single greatest waste of human resources. Instead I'm considering some ideas about how to try and educate the public in creative and hopefully productive ways concerning the importance of free market capitalism and the historical devastating destruction of government and central banking. Im wondering If anyone else here might have some suggestions on creative ideas on how to somehow intelligently educate others on the importance of these subjects.

I'm specifically interested in creative ideas from people who share my passion on the importance of these matters. Politics and involvement in government is not the solution its the problem. Truth and a return to free market capitalism and sound money is the answer.

Well, Ron Paul is doing these online videos (embedded/link below).

He's basically all about sharing ideas about liberty as his main weapon. Making videos to educate people. You can watch the video below to get an idea of "why" he's using that as his main tool.

I've seen a lot of amateurs do videos on political topics that are very OBVIOUSLY amateur, but they still get views, probably more views and exposure than you will get making forum posts. Because there's a human element. Even if you suck and your presentation is weak, there's still the fact the YOU got out there and did something, so it's more sincere and authentic and that resonates with people.

I've actually been thinking of doing this myself for quite some time, but don't really have a format in mind to focus on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWAUcUC1NIU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWAUcUC1NIU

Bastiat's The Law
08-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Politics is valuable for the platform it affords and eyeballs it garners.

Lucille
08-30-2015, 11:47 AM
This.

Is that a two seater with naked people in it? :D Lucille needs to scooch over so I can get in too.

LOL I love Peter Sellers so much, excessive back hair and all. I call first dibs on his lap!

I am anyway! We have some guy friends in CA who shave their legs, FFS. When did that become a thing?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/12/25/article-1238363-07B2EB4A000005DC-682_233x423.jpg

See now I'm going to go have to stream the movie. Thanks, anticollectivist! Great handle btw. You should keep it when you register.

William Tell
08-30-2015, 11:49 AM

Yes! Get in the car!

Lol +rep.

William Tell
08-30-2015, 11:53 AM
LOL I love Peter Sellers so much, excessive back hair and all. I call first dibs on his lap!

I am anyway! We have some guy gay friends in CA who shave their legs, FFS. When did that become a thing?

FIFY

bunklocoempire
08-30-2015, 01:03 PM

You and Lucille set it up nicely.:) Oh, and welcome!

You'll find these forums are also a great way of letting off steam when in concert with others banging their heads against the wall.
And there's the affirmation...
*looks at another RonPaulForums member*
"I'm not crazy, right?"
"No you're not that crazy, I came to the same conclusion"
"Imagine that"

Great inspiration around here as well. And the views... The varied ways of forum members looking at things should give you some insight in how to intelligently present your liberty pitch. It's helped me.

Yes, this liberty car has some characters in it. Elke and Sellers types and everything in between.

Stick around. :)

Lucille
08-30-2015, 03:04 PM
FIFY

LOL But they're not! They're not swimmers or cyclists either. I blame the feminization of America, and California.

Should Men Shave Their Legs? The Surprising Results of Our Poll
A growing number of guys are shaving their legs. Should you?
http://www.menshealth.com/grooming/should-men-shave-their-legs

William Tell
08-30-2015, 03:12 PM
LOL But they're not! They're not swimmers or cyclists either. I blame the feminization of America, and California.

Should Men Shave Their Legs? The Surprising Results of Our Poll
A growing number of guys are shaving their legs. Should you?
http://www.menshealth.com/grooming/should-men-shave-their-legs
It's partially women's fault. Some gals are such hairophobes. They hate beards and staches, basically anything that separates men from women. I guess they like the waxed boys they see on TV.

Anticollectivist
08-30-2015, 03:32 PM
I appreciate the clever good hearted humor this thread seems to have generated as well as the friendly welcoming. I happen to be an old movie fan myself so I really appreciate the funny Pink Panther association with the title of my thread and esp the funny pics from the movie. I guess since it has been a little while since Ive last seen the movie I didn't really consciously think of it myself when I decided on the title for this thread.

Its interesting that I just finished watching a war movie from 1968 called Anzio starring Robert Mitchum. At the end of the movie Mitchum who plays a war correspondent in the movie tells a general in an attempt to try and make some sense out of war he has personally experienced that he thinks men kill each other because they like to and that history teaches us that war never solves anything.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that but I would say that wars (particularly throughout modern history) are mainly the result of peoples blind faith in the belief that killing for their government is automatically the most sincere form of patriotism and not enough rational thought is given to the notion that the political decisions made by centralized governments are the real source of the problem. Obviously foreign policy is a highly complicated matter (made even more complicated by the political decisions of corrupt centralized governments) but why is it that killing for lying cheating thieving corrupt politicians is so universally considered the most sincere form of patriotism?

We should not let the lying cheating corrupt politicians of our Federal government define who we are as individuals and collectively as Americans. To me it seems much more noble, moral and just to kill in defense of yourself, your family and your friends and neighbors than for the corrupt political bastards in Washington who seem to somehow constantly brainwash US citizens into thinking sacrifice and killing for them is the most sincere and noble form of patriotism. In actuality the biggest enemy for most of the citizens of this country isn't foreign threats abroad that the US government constantly manages to conjure up but rather the US Federal Government itself and the government's primary source for funding the welfare and warfare state - the Federal Reserve.

Henry Rogue
08-30-2015, 04:40 PM
I agree education is the way to effect a long term move towards Liberty. Focus on children, as few adults will ever change course.
http://tuttletwins.com/ This link is to a website that sells children's books, teaching I Pencil and Bastiat's The Law. Maybe a Liberty base children's tv program. Perhaps Bastiat Street instead of Sesame Street. Another idea, if someone has the skills, would be video games.

Acala
09-09-2015, 02:21 PM
I think anyone who wants to promote liberty needs to understand that the majority of people are not motivated by reason and an internal set of principles or guidelines. Rather they are motivated by emotions elicited by whatever is happening in their environment at the moment. In other words, truth and logic will not get the job done no matter how effectively you communicate it. Figure out how to move people towards liberty by stimulating their emotions - and keep them from changing their minds the next time a shiny object passes by - and you will be on the way to success. My two ameros.

dannno
09-09-2015, 02:27 PM
The problem is that most people interested in politics are interested in power, and so they get all the guns behind them.

If people who were interested in liberty took over the political process, then there would be less government tyranny.

That doesn't mean I think every person needs to put a suit and tie on, go down to their local GOP club and hob knob and eventually maybe try to become a politician - but for some people this may be a good idea and for others I think it is important to support liberty within the political process to some extent while educating people about the value of freedom.

osan
09-09-2015, 02:59 PM
There's room for everybody.

Personally, I am convinced that education isn't the answer,

Not THE answer, but certainly part of it. Let us distinguish it as a necessary, but insufficient condition.

First and foremost is that logic is no match for force.

Depends on what you mean by that.

You can explain to a thief why it is ethically wrong for him to take your wallet. Why using violence to take your wallet is morally abhorrent. Even that his business plan is unsustainable on a larger scale.

You will be 100% right, but he is just going to thump you in the head and take your cell phone too.

While correct, it is a bit of an apples-oranges comparison.

Education is essential. As Franklin, or whoever the hell it was quipped, one cannot be free and ignorant. The two are fundamentally and very violently incompatible.

Acala
09-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Education is essential. As Franklin, or whoever the hell it was quipped, one cannot be free and ignorant. The two are fundamentally and very violently incompatible.

The freest humans have ever been was when they lived in hunter/gatherer tribes and they were 100% ignorant of almost anything that passes for knowledge today, including knowledge of political doctrine or philosophy.

Anticollectivist
09-09-2015, 04:56 PM
I think anyone who wants to promote liberty needs to understand that the majority of people are not motivated by reason and an internal set of principles or guidelines. Rather they are motivated by emotions elicited by whatever is happening in their environment at the moment. In other words, truth and logic will not get the job done no matter how effectively you communicate it. Figure out how to move people towards liberty by stimulating their emotions - and keep them from changing their minds the next time a shiny object passes by - and you will be on the way to success. My two ameros.

Yes, I agree with most of that. Except I think using truth and logic creatively and productively to try and motivate and stimulate other peoples emotions and thinking is a worthy goal. Trying to make any substantive and productive changes politically is just a continued worthless counter productive waste of time. I believe politics and government to be the best example of Einstein's definition of insanity. And I honestly think human beings acting both individually and collectively are in many respects fundamentally insane.

That's why I think using good intentions in a creative, logical and productive way has more merit than doing the same old thing that has such a proven dismal destructive track record. Im curious about using the entertainment industry to make a good movie demonstrating and educating people about the absolute horrific history of statism and central banking throughout the past century or so. And a well made movie could also educate and show people in an informative and entertaining way just how miraculous free market capitalism is and could be - if its allowed to function properly.

Im thinking of a well made/well financed/high budget movie that could literally be a life changing experience for millions of people that see it. I don't usually care much for message movies because they are usually just the typical politically correct bs. But a well scripted well made movie on these subjects could literally be the greatest story ever told (even better than the 1965 movie of that same name). I know Im somewhat of a dreamer about these subjects, but at least I think my dreams have some logical and possible worthwhile chance of becoming reality and contributing productively in life. It would just take the right creative passionate educated people on these subjects as well as the money to make this happen. It may not be easy but is it possible - hell yeah.

Anti Federalist
09-10-2015, 03:08 PM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/01/08/article-2535891-1A80FA3A00000578-643_634x583.jpg

Acala
09-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Yes, I agree with most of that. Except I think using truth and logic creatively and productively to try and motivate and stimulate other peoples emotions and thinking is a worthy goal. Trying to make any substantive and productive changes politically is just a continued worthless counter productive waste of time. I believe politics and government to be the best example of Einstein's definition of insanity. And I honestly think human beings acting both individually and collectively are in many respects fundamentally insane.

That's why I think using good intentions in a creative, logical and productive way has more merit than doing the same old thing that has such a proven dismal destructive track record. Im curious about using the entertainment industry to make a good movie demonstrating and educating people about the absolute horrific history of statism and central banking throughout the past century or so. And a well made movie could also educate and show people in an informative and entertaining way just how miraculous free market capitalism is and could be - if its allowed to function properly.

Im thinking of a well made/well financed/high budget movie that could literally be a life changing experience for millions of people that see it. I don't usually care much for message movies because they are usually just the typical politically correct bs. But a well scripted well made movie on these subjects could literally be the greatest story ever told (even better than the 1965 movie of that same name). I know Im somewhat of a dreamer about these subjects, but at least I think my dreams have some logical and possible worthwhile chance of becoming reality and contributing productively in life. It would just take the right creative passionate educated people on these subjects as well as the money to make this happen. It may not be easy but is it possible - hell yeah.

Let's take the issue of war, just for example. Everybody knows about the horrors of war. There have been countless movies and books about war - some of them real masterpieces. And yet, in spite of this universal knowledge of the horrors of war, and the countless examples of futile, corrupted and failed war efforts - even in our own recent history - people are still led into one new war after another. Something fundamental in the human mind is at work that is not going to be changed by a blockbuster movie or an impassioned speech. The root is deeper than that.

David Jeffrey Spetch
09-19-2015, 04:44 AM
Rid the country of political parties.

Greetings from Canada

love

Primary Factual Fundamentalist World Class Activist
David Jeffrey Spetch
Ps. Be good, be strong!
Hamilton Ontario Canada

osan
09-20-2015, 08:07 AM
The freest humans have ever been was when they lived in hunter/gatherer tribes and they were 100% ignorant of almost anything that passes for knowledge today, including knowledge of political doctrine or philosophy.

That is fact, and yet it is irrelevant because knowledge is ALWAYS context dependent. If the human race survives the coming 1000 years, the people of that time may well say the same things of you and me. "They were 100% ignorant of almost anything that passes for knowledge today", and they might well prove correct. It is of no consequence because just as today people arguably have the requisite knowledge to "live" (or at least exist), so did the people of an aeon past.

Furthermore, you do in a way make my point in that were you and I able to go back to, say, 5000BC with a battalion of well-trained troops, replete with all the accoutrements of modern warfare, chances are we would be able to defeat any nation on the planet. Why? Precisely because of the RELATIVE ignorance of the people of an earlier age, both in terms of technologies and devious behaviors. Such people would stand appalled at our disrespectful and shameful ways as we mowed them into extinction or whatever it is we intended.

But we agree on the point of when humans were freest, which you will note was a time prior to Empire. Empire is poison, not despite its grandly impressive monuments, but because of that which brings them forth: the forcible enslavement of others in one form or another. Sometimes it is brute physicality. Other times it is the subterfuges of the mind, whether it be disguised as "religion", fear of an enemy real or imagined, or any of the other ruses employed by would-be masters to persuade the rest to drink of the Sacred Fountain Of Kool-Aid.

osan
09-20-2015, 08:58 AM
I think anyone who wants to promote liberty needs to understand that the majority of people are not motivated by reason...

This is almost certainly true, but it is only half of the picture. One must ask "why?" The answer(s) is/are never quite simple. Part of it, however, is the environment in which one is raised. If he is raised in corrupted surroundings, he will likely be corrupted. There are, of course, exceptions to this, but speaking in terms of the statistical gestalt, this is tends to be the mean outcome.

Why is this? Simplistic answer: entropy. Humanity - life in general - is a clear affront to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. It operates in diametric opposition to the very base nature of energy. It is, however, not immune from the effects. There are theories such as that of "least effort" and so forth that go a very long way toward explaining this phenomenon and others such as why most living organisms are "lazy". We could discuss this at endless length, but suffice to say that nature appears to be very much conscious of efficiency in everything that happens in this world, which leads to least action for the attainment of an objective.

Therefore, humans will do the least in terms of energy expenditure in order to get what they want. Nothing wrong with that, in se, but it does seem to go awry and amok. A most cursory examination of welfare states should demonstrate this with glare.

Once a population understands that it is fighting an ever-uphill battle, it can then at least make an educated decision on whether to aspire to less-entropic ideals or just say, "screw it" and let decay of all things set in.

To live in a way that is not mere existence alone requires that fight against entropy - disorder - and that requires significant effort, which in turn runs in the face of the drive to least action. Perhaps this is why hunter-gatherer people were perhaps happier and healthier than are we? Empire steered us away from a minimalist fight against entropy in favor of a greatly amplified battle. That has a price and perhaps we see it in the form of all the nasty shit humanity has foisted upon itself these past several thousands of years. How many "tribes" galloped across the land, screaming "Allahu-akbar!", whilst separating the heads from the bodies of others in the time prior to Empire? Unequivocal answer: none. Why? Because the activity described is Empire. Empire either exists, or it does not. There is no time of which we are aware in terms of explicitly detailed fact when Empire has not blighted the face of this world. We only have the remnants of times past that suggest the possible absence of such disease.

Rather they are motivated by emotions elicited by whatever is happening in their environment at the moment. In other words, truth and logic will not get the job done no matter how effectively you communicate it.

Patently untrue in the absolute sense of "never" which you here imply. It often does not do the trick, yes, but not because of any failing as instruments, but rather because of our failings as human beings. That, once again, usually boils down to that with which people can get away in the pursuit of getting something for nothing, which in turn in a matter of upbringing.

The kings of yore, as well as those of today, are eminently guilty of disingenuousness. It is readily observable in the history of the race where kings have set into place conditions that predispose "his people" to become brigands and other forms of scum. He then decries the tragedy and shame of it all shortly before sending in troops, passing draconian law, and so forth. In the fashion of the true Hegelian Dialectic, they create the problem and then affect their brilliant and kingly solution. Had the kings of the past endeavored to make perfect their people, rather than run them in the precisely opposite direction for all their mental legs would take them, perhaps the conditions of this world today would have been very much different. Impossible to say, perhaps, but one can speculate on it with some reasonable credibility.

So right here we have two prime factors; the fact that life constitutes and inherent fight against decay and that "rulers" have consistently endeavored to keep their people at the lowest levels of personal capacity possible while still being able to attain one's kingly objectives. I smell evil here in the latter element.

Figure out how to move people towards liberty by stimulating their emotions

Impossible without force, once a population is acclimated to life at a lower energy level, which is to say one of greater entropy, most especially when in their MINDS they believe themselves to exist as they ought. Mind is everything. Empire has filled the race with all manner of demented and deeply sick concepts - ideas that run amok and against what I would deem as life worth living.

Two weeks ago when we broadcast our last Live On The Levee performance, I was standing on Kanawha Blvd and watched a fairly well put together woman walk face-first into a pole. Why? Because the stupid wench had not the self-control to put her damned cell phone away long enough to get where she was going or to stop walking which sending text. I burst out laughing - didn't mean to, but it was so horribly comical I just could not contain the wave that welled up within me with explosive suddenness. She wasn't amused and I really didn't give the least crap. The point is that we choose all this stupidity and we choose to let it rule our lives. We are now in WAY too deeply to affect a course change voluntarily. The statistical reality will simply not allow it. Therefore, force is needed, whether it be a meteor strike, famine, disease, or what have you. Note I did not include human intervention. We have 6K++ years of our own history that attests to the long term efficacy of man-on-man force to "improve" the world.

At this point, the only salvation for the race will be the decimation of the species. When the hard and cold truth of material reality imposes itself upon the lives of men, THEN you will see change. But in time, entropy will certainly creep back in and the cycle will begin afresh. This is predicted in many religious systems, Hindu being perhaps the most highly developed of these where the notion of a "kalpa" ("age") is central to the cosmology. IIRC, in Hindu there are three periods, the golden time, that which is plateau, and the time of decay, AKA "kaliuga". We are now deep into the kaliuga.

- and keep them from changing their minds the next time a shiny object passes by - and you will be on the way to success. My two ameros.

Men have been endeavoring to accomplish this for a very long time and every effort has failed. So long as Empire persists, the mental disease will have its grip upon people and there will be no hope. Fancy costs. People want fancy, but do not want to pay the price. Clever demagogues find ways to convince people that they can have the gold without having to pay for it. Works EVERY time. This is the disease that is the Empire Mind. Just as you put it, people fall for the shiny objects, whether it be a bar of gold, the newest cell phone, high speed internet, what have you. It NEVER fails. If they don't get you with one trinket, they have ten thousand more, one of which is virtually guaranteed to convince you to sell your soul to the devil, and you will do so with an excited smile. This is what we are in the context of Empire, and it is not a very pretty sight. Compare with the simple life of a grass skirt, wandering with pointed sticks, digging roots, picking berries, screwing when it pleased you, sleeping when you are so moved, and not worrying about too many things, save mostly the large predators that might try to eat you. I do not mind that vision so much, but most folks recoil from it. They want their tech and there will be no further discussion on the matter. Fine. But you WILL pay the price, and well all do. I don't think any of it is worth it - not if Empire is part of the price-tag.

osan
09-20-2015, 09:06 AM
Let's take the issue of war, just for example. Everybody knows about the horrors of war. There have been countless movies and books about war - some of them real masterpieces. And yet, in spite of this universal knowledge of the horrors of war, and the countless examples of futile, corrupted and failed war efforts - even in our own recent history - people are still led into one new war after another. Something fundamental in the human mind is at work that is not going to be changed by a blockbuster movie or an impassioned speech. The root is deeper than that.

No, they do not. Some of us do, but unless you have been in it up close and personal, you don't know shit. My parents lived through it first-hand. Many of my friends have gone to war and one of my closest, my little brother of sorts, is still in it in a very big way. I managed to avoid it all... so far. I consider myself lucky, but that may not hold forever, :( .

Seeing gore on a screen is nothing. If anything, it places a mind on a footing of greater tolerance for war than does being IN war. If you've never been shot or stabbed (been shot twice and stabbed in serious violence once) your "experience" of violence and war via the big screen is meaningless. It is naught but a conceptual experience via sight and sound. Absent is the knowledge that what you see is real. Absent is the FEEL of violence. Absent is the SMELL of it. I've witnessed some stoogery of epic proportions on the part of people who open their yaps about warring, kicking ass, and so forth. "I be like pow pow pow..." Bullshit. The smell of a dead human being is one of those things most will never forget.

Most everyone knows SHIT about war and real killing. If they knew, they'd keep their mouths shut around veterans who DO know.