PDA

View Full Version : When Should Cops Be Allowed To Take Control of Self-Driving Cars?

DamianTV
08-26-2015, 09:44 AM
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/08/26/0317216/when-should-cops-be-allowed-to-take-control-of-self-driving-cars

A police officer is directing traffic in the intersection when he sees a self-driving car barreling toward him and the occupant looking down at his smartphone. The officer gestures for the car to stop, and the self-driving vehicle rolls to a halt behind the crosswalk. This seems like a pretty plausible interaction. Human drivers are required to pull over when a police officer gestures for them to do so. It's reasonable to expect that self-driving cars would do the same. But Will Oremus writes that while it's clear that police officers should have some power over the movements of self-driving cars, what's less clear is where to draw the line. Should an officer be able to do the same if he suspects the passenger of a crime? And what if the passenger doesn't want the car to stop—can she override the command, or does the police officer have ultimate control?

According to a RAND Corp. report on the future of technology and law enforcement "the dark side to all of the emerging access and interconnectivity (PDF) is the risk to the public's civil rights, privacy rights, and security." It added, "One can readily imagine abuses that might occur if, for example, capabilities to control automated vehicles and the disclosure of detailed personal information about their occupants were not tightly controlled and secured."

Slashdot article, but a very good question.

So what do you think? When should cops be allowed to take control of self driving cars?

TheTexan
08-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Can we instead just modify all cars so that they slow down as they get closer to an Officer?

Dozens of Officers die in car crashes each year, so it's obviously of paramount importance that we do everything we can to get that to a more reasonable number.

acptulsa
08-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Just as long as no one tries to tell me I have to relinquish control of my vehicle or get it off the road, I don't care what or who the fools who relinquish control of their vehicles relinquish control of them to.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-26-2015, 09:51 AM
how about never? anything used against real criminals is always used against the rest of the population

TheTexan
08-26-2015, 09:52 AM
We should of course also require that Officers get a warrant before shutting down someone's vehicle, to ensure due process.

We could give Officers an app on their phone so they can get warrants more quickly.

RJB
08-26-2015, 09:52 AM
It'll be when ever he feels his safety is threatened.

RJB
08-26-2015, 09:53 AM
We could give Officers an app on their phone so they can get warrants more quickly.

To slow. Put the app on their firearms.

TheTexan
08-26-2015, 09:56 AM
As long as Police Vehicles can't be shut down I'm fine with this. I was thinking maybe Ambulances should also not be allowed to be shut down remotely, but that's less important of course than making sure Police Vehicles remain operational.

phill4paul
08-26-2015, 09:59 AM
"Sir, your car was swerving. I smell alcohol and your eyes look bloodshot. I'll need you to exit the vehicle for a sobriety test."

"But, officer, my car is a self-driving car."

"Sure it is son, sure it is. Now exit the vehicle."

pcosmar
08-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Slashdot article, but a very good question.

So what do you think? When should cops be allowed to take control of self driving cars?

You knew it would be asked.

I am sure some or most of the "rules" have already been written.

presence
08-26-2015, 10:39 AM
When should cops be allowed to take control of self driving cars?

Sounds like highway piracy.

nobody's_hero
08-26-2015, 11:20 AM
The question is wrong. Better to ask:

'Should people buy self-driving cars that cops can control?' And of course they will, because they want the cool gizmos, regardless of how owning one makes it easier to spy on or control you.

In any case,

I predict that eventually the police lobby will come out against this self-driving technology, as it will severely cut down on fine collecting (that car won't let you speed). At that point it's gonna be one of those 'strange bedfellows' moments with myself and the police unions.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-26-2015, 11:23 AM

'Should people buy self-driving cars that cops can control?' And of course they will, because they want the cool gizmos, regardless of how owning one makes it easier to spy on you.

In any case,

I predict that eventually the police lobby will come out against this self-driving technology, as it will severely cut down on fine collecting (that car won't let you speed). At that point it's gonna be one of those 'strange bedfellows' moments with myself and the police unions.

who is responsible if a self driving car hits someone? Do they take the car to court? :D

nobody's_hero
08-26-2015, 11:33 AM
who is responsible if a self driving car hits someone? Do they take the car to court? :D

And that's another reason I think this technology is a long way off. I'm not a lawyer but I think the company would be held liable.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-26-2015, 11:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m38QcCyo110
one point has been removed from your license

surf
08-26-2015, 02:45 PM
i'd like to think that the "technology" will evolve and solve these problems in a much better way than any gov't mandate to do so could. of course all technological modes of individual transportation and improvements have been hindered by the wonderful infrastructure we have stuck with.

i'd still like to hop in a "pod", smoke a bowl, and arrive at my destination when I choose.

limequat
08-26-2015, 02:46 PM

'Should people buy self-driving cars that cops can control?' And of course they will, because they want the cool gizmos, regardless of how owning one makes it easier to spy on or control you.

In any case,

Nope, self driving cars are coming and police will love them. Whether it's admitted or not, law enforcement will have full control. Behind on child support? Car drives you directly to court.

New crimes will be invented to keep the revenue up.

RonPaulIsGreat
08-26-2015, 02:54 PM
This is easy, whenever he is horny and sees a hottie driving by. Ask harder questions next time.

VIDEODROME
08-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Suppose there was a test city where literally every driver had a self driving car. Also, all of their cars are joined to a traffic network with coordinates the flow of traffic so well you don't even need traffic light or have to stop at intersections.

At this point, I don't see the need for police intervention unless the car has malfunctioned. At that point, the control system is probably unreliable to seize the car by remote anyway.

Deborah K
08-26-2015, 03:23 PM
What VIDEODROME said. Autonomous cars are in the works. The set-up for them is happening now. It's going to change everything: car insurance, body shop businesses, traffic violations (registration, brake lights, etc notwithstanding), and such, will pretty much be obsolete.

VIDEODROME
08-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Also, what if the police are trying to catch a criminal? In a city-wide traffic network where all the cars are controlled, how would I get to the store or go to work? I just tell the car to take me there which would probably put the request in with the city's traffic control.

So if the police have a warrant, they could just ask the Sys Admin to provide my destination and meet me there when I show up. Car chases would be obsolete.

Anti Federalist
08-26-2015, 04:23 PM

In any case,

Should?

You will not be permitted to own anything but a self driver with full police override, Mundane.

LibertyEagle
08-26-2015, 04:34 PM
All the more reason for why no one should want a self-driving car. Sheesh.

Anti Federalist
08-26-2015, 04:44 PM
What VIDEODROME said. Autonomous cars are in the works. The set-up for them is happening now. It's going to change everything: car insurance, body shop businesses, traffic violations (registration, brake lights, etc notwithstanding), and such, will pretty much be obsolete.

God save me from the future...you can have it.

Anti Federalist
08-26-2015, 04:46 PM
And I'll drop this off on the way out the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U

Deborah K
08-26-2015, 04:55 PM
God save me from the future...you can have it.

Can't fight progress, as they say. hmmm.....I wonder if buying shares in the chips needed for autonomous cars would be a good investment......?

JK/SEA
08-26-2015, 05:14 PM
Can't fight progress, as they say. hmmm.....I wonder if buying shares in the chips needed for autonomous cars would be a good investment......?

yep...big money. Anyone think that in order to have one of these cars, you would need to have a chip implant in your body somewhere?..

RonPaulIsGreat
08-26-2015, 05:23 PM

That would be NVIDIA at present.

DamianTV
08-26-2015, 05:41 PM

Always blame the victim!

http://static.infowars.com/politicalsidebarimage/statists_large.jpg

Philhelm
08-26-2015, 07:57 PM
At any time, without oversight?

limequat
08-26-2015, 08:13 PM
That would be NVIDIA at present.

Which does a lot more business in Consumer than automotive.

Deborah K
08-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Which does a lot more business in Consumer than automotive.

Yeah, but apparently they are currently contracted with Audi....hmmm....

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-26-2015, 09:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8nnhUCtcO8
What if a hacker programs cars to go on a killing spree?
Jeeze not only do you have to worry about drones targeting you, you will have to worry about people's cars suddenly recognizing you and going after the kill. Everyone's car turns into a cop car.

Anti Federalist
08-26-2015, 10:52 PM
yep...big money. Anyone think that in order to have one of these cars, you would need to have a chip implant in your body somewhere?..

That's already here.

All you have to do is implant the "proximity chip" all new cars have.

acptulsa
08-27-2015, 06:47 AM
That's already here.

All you have to do is implant the "proximity chip" all new cars have.

Well, you don't have to have it implanted. You can carry it in your pocket.

But tell the writers of a few crime dramas to make a big deal about carjacking and the sheep will be begging for implants. Even if their car is twenty years old and only running on three cylinders.

DamianTV
08-27-2015, 09:54 AM
I think I have the only legitimate answer that authorizes a cop to take over a self-driving car: when the car is their personal property.

asurfaholic
08-27-2015, 10:21 AM
I think I have the only legitimate answer that authorizes a cop to take over a self-driving car: when the car is their personal property.

Nonsense.

Officer safety is paramount.

DevilsAdvocate
08-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Within 50 years it will be illegal to own a driver controlled vehicle. All cars will be equipped with cameras and location trackers that communicate with a central database. Police and government officials will be able to summon your vehicle to the police station, or simply pull you over with a few taps of their keyboard.

RonPaulIsGreat
08-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Within 50 years it will be illegal to own a driver controlled vehicle. All cars will be equipped with cameras and location trackers that communicate with a central database. Police and government officials will be able to summon your vehicle to the police station, or simply pull you over with a few taps of their keyboard.

In 50 years it will be illegal to own a car.

Press Release:

People are often to busy, or just don't care enough about their vehicle to care for it in a manner to ensure optimal safety and reliability. While this was tolerable in the past, this is the year 2060, and our transportation network is fully integrated for optimal efficiency and safety.

Example if the vehicle you are in encounters an unexpected tire deflation event, while in a transport train on the interstate, this will cause all the vehicles participating to have to slow down, or exit the optimized air flow cavity, and will cause a financial and time expensive for all the other vehicle occupants, also it will reduce the efficiency of road utilization, an expense for which you would be liable. Communal transport frees you of the worry, expensive, and liability vehicle ownership incurred upon the owner.

Our entire fleet of vehicles are checked daily, full exterior scan, full decontamination of the interior, a level 1 20 minute power train test, all government approved and tested vehicle updates are applied, all fluids are tested using chemical analysis, so fluids are changed when they need to be and not before or after. All of this is done without any human involvement, and at trivial expense. Not to mention, all cars feed realtime data on terrain and road conditions to the central transport authority, so potholes are now a thing of the past!

In 2060 New York City has a population of 15 million people, most cars before the communal transport initiative was enacted would sit sometimes for days with zero utilization. Obviously in a major city, space is a valuable resource, by banning personal car ownership, and taking on the full responsibility of maintaining the vehicles, parking or circling them while not in use, we have managed to save enough space to add 4 million more people to our beautiful city, in the same area, and retaining or enhancing the living environment for all our proud citizens.

Fleeing criminals were a problem in the past, today, it would not be possible to "flee", hacked vehicles are immediately reported by all the communal cars, and unoccupied cars if it is deemed safe will attempt to slow or stop any such vehicle. As a result some areas of crime have drop over 95%, and the last car jacking was reported in 2050, by an elderly felon suffering from dementia.

Overall, we are pretty proud of the progress we have made, in forging a path to a more connected, safer, efficient future.

What's a Community without Communal Property after all.

The Communal Transport Initiative... Safe, Efficient, Available, Fast... What's not to love.

Download your app now.

DamianTV
08-27-2015, 06:51 PM

So kind of like the pussy cops in Demolition Man, except way way more violent and not brady-bunch versions of themselves?

tangent4ronpaul
08-28-2015, 02:20 AM
Any bets on how many single digit hours it will take from when this tech rolls out for the first kidnap for ransom to happen?

GF dumps you? For enough BTC you can have her delivered to a SWAT team firing squad as a convicted serial killer...

Like totally awesome dude! :rolleyes:

-t

Slave Mentality
08-28-2015, 06:49 AM
I never will have one. By that time I will be pushing a shopping cart full of random shit anyway.

limequat
08-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Technology does not have a political agenda.
Imagine the cops take control of your car?

Imagine if YOU take control of the COP'S car!

http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/100714-wreckedcopcar-hmed-1008.grid-6x2.jpg

nobody's_hero
08-28-2015, 11:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8nnhUCtcO8
What if a hacker programs cars to go on a killing spree?
Jeeze not only do you have to worry about drones targeting you, you will have to worry about people's cars suddenly recognizing you and going after the kill. Everyone's car turns into a cop car.

The more I learn about the future the more I continue to say Terminator is a documentary and not a sci-fi flick.