PDA

View Full Version : Virginia, North Carolina GOP move to block Trump from primary ballot

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
08-24-2015, 08:19 PM
Virginia, North Carolina GOP move to block Trump from primary ballot. They are planning on requiring a "loyalty oath" for anyone to get on the Presidential primary ballot.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/state-gop-leaders-plot-to-tie-donald-trumps-hands-121696.html

puppetmaster
08-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Virginia, North Carolina GOP move to block Trump from primary ballot. They are planning on requiring a "loyalty oath" for anyone to get on the Presidential primary ballot.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/state-gop-leaders-plot-to-tie-donald-trumps-hands-121696.html

Won't cut muster.

Mr.NoSmile
08-24-2015, 09:32 PM
The Virginia proposal has earned the support of Ken Cuccinelli, the state’s former attorney general and 2013 gubernatorial nominee, who has been promoting the idea to members of the state party central committee. He has also been in touch with Whitbeck.

“Anybody who wants to seek the Republican nomination should have to commit to supporting the ultimate Republican nominee,” Cuccinelli said in a Monday interview. “I don’t see anything wrong with that.”

And that as well.

KEEF
08-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Great, just another thing that Trump can bitch about so to get another trillion dollars of free publicity via the talking heads of the the lame stream media.

thoughtomator
08-24-2015, 09:48 PM
Scott Walker camp pushing this

GunnyFreedom
08-24-2015, 10:08 PM
I'm on the NC GOP Executive Committee. This is the first I've heard of it, and I do not see this happening. Anything like this would have to go through the ExComm. I just do not see the NC GOP ExComm voting for that. Too many Tea Partiers on the ExComm, and an anti-establishment Party Chairman. Odds of this actually happening are probably around 500 to 1.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
08-24-2015, 10:28 PM
Most of the article was about Virginia, but this is what was reported on North Carolina:

In North Carolina, Republican Party officials are considering a similar move, and are already in talks with lawyers about how best to implement it.

The topic recently came up during a meeting of state party staffers and is expected to be discussed more extensively on conference calls during the coming weeks. One state party official said a lawyer would soon be drafting language for a provision asking each candidate to support the nominee.

A final decision is expected to be made by the party next month ahead of the Oct 1. deadline.

GunnyFreedom
08-24-2015, 11:32 PM
Most of the article was about Virginia, but this is what was reported on North Carolina:

In North Carolina, Republican Party officials are considering a similar move, and are already in talks with lawyers about how best to implement it.

The topic recently came up during a meeting of state party staffers and is expected to be discussed more extensively on conference calls during the coming weeks. One state party official said a lawyer would soon be drafting language for a provision asking each candidate to support the nominee.

A final decision is expected to be made by the party next month ahead of the Oct 1. deadline.

There is currently no ExComm meeting scheduled. They cannot make such a decision without the ExComm.

puppetmaster
08-24-2015, 11:36 PM
There is currently no ExComm meeting scheduled. They cannot make such a decision without the ExComm. funny how it gets legs so fast....like it was a set up.....

hells_unicorn
08-24-2015, 11:40 PM
funny how it gets legs so fast....like it was a set up.....

It's literally almost like the media wants Trump to stay in the headlines so they just made some stuff up to keep his numbskull supporters agitated. Actually, it's exactly like that's what the media wants.

cindy25
08-24-2015, 11:59 PM
how would something like this be enforced? Trump could just say he was forced to sign it.

CPUd
08-25-2015, 12:03 AM
how would something like this be enforced? Trump could just say he was forced to sign it.

The state party could unseat/unbind the delegates.

GunnyFreedom
08-25-2015, 01:04 AM
The state party could unseat/unbind the delegates.

Only for the primary at the RNC Convention. They would have no power whatever over the electors for the electoral college unless they were Republican electors, in which case there would be nothing to 'enforce.'

dntrpltt
08-25-2015, 01:09 AM
There is currently no ExComm meeting scheduled. They cannot make such a decision without the ExComm.

Could the Central Comm have been talking about it? I think they do conference calls occasionally.

GunnyFreedom
08-25-2015, 01:25 AM
Could the Central Comm have been talking about it? I think they do conference calls occasionally.
Sure they could be talking about it, but the CC making a decision like this is completely outside of their scope. Central Committee is supposed to be for daily mundane stuff and personnel decisions that do not require the attention of the ExComm. Actual operational policy like ballot access and delegate allotment is unambiguously in the purview of the ExComm. If CC is talking about it, it should only be to draft the rules change that would be brought before the ExComm.

dntrpltt
08-25-2015, 01:27 AM
Sure they could be talking about it, but the CC making a decision like this is completely outside of their scope. Central Committee is supposed to be for daily mundane stuff and personnel decisions that do not require the attention of the ExComm. Actual operational policy like ballot access and delegate allotment is unambiguously in the purview of the ExComm. If CC is talking about it, it should only be to draft the rules change that would be brought before the ExComm.

Understood, just wondering if you had heard if they were talking about it at all. The article reads as though it's just discussion between staffers right now.

GunnyFreedom
08-25-2015, 10:30 PM
Politico article was bunk.

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=f3100bc5464cbba2f472ddf2c&id=c7a036dbfa

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

munged@email.address

As news spread about rumors of NCGOP officials discussing the validity of Donald Trump's candidacy in NC, it is critical to clarify fact from rumor. NCGOP Chairman Hasan Harnett said, “The press is trying to create a story by reporting rumors and hearsay. I was unaware of any staff meetings regarding Mr. Trump’s candidacy in North Carolina. In fact, North Carolina State law already deals with the issue at hand and the NCGOP has no intention of restricting or preventing any legitimate Republican candidate from running in North Carolina. We will have a fair primary election and I welcome all Presidential candidates, including Donald Trump, to our great state.”

Under North Carolina State Law, the issue of running as an independent or third-party candidate may be a moot point. According to NCGS 163-213.6, “The State Board of Elections shall forthwith contact each person who has been nominated by the Board or by petition and notify him in writing that his name will be printed as a candidate of a specified political party on the North Carolina presidential preference primary ballot. A candidate who participates in the North Carolina presidential preference primary of a particular party shall have his name placed on the general election ballot only as a nominee of that political party.”

For further information please contact Kara Carter: munged@email.address.

###

hells_unicorn
08-25-2015, 11:30 PM

lol Definitely not the first time that Politico has been caught in a bold face lie.

TommyJeff
08-26-2015, 05:27 AM
Looks like Trump will be running 3rd party if this stays true

luctor-et-emergo
08-26-2015, 05:57 AM
Looks like Trump will be running 3rd party if this stays true

If Sanders then decides to run as an independent you suddenly got yourself a multiparty system. Where any sort of outcome is possible. Don't think it's likely but I like to have predicted the possibility just in case it happens.

Peace&Freedom
08-26-2015, 07:13 AM

It was clearly unsubstantiated regarding NC, but what about VA?

erowe1
08-26-2015, 07:41 AM
It's literally almost like the media wants Trump to stay in the headlines so they just made some stuff up to keep his numbskull supporters agitated. Actually, it's exactly like that's what the media wants.

So much so that it makes me wonder if Trump is the one pushing these headlines himself.

It has definitely been his minions who have put the most effort into publicizing stories like this here.