PDA

View Full Version : States can't be trusted with Civil Rights, John Oliver

nobody's_hero
08-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Federal laws are needed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d667Bb_iYA

I'm sorry to all of you who really like John Oliver, but frankly I've always felt him to be a bit of a liberal twit who would turn the U.S. into to the EU PC Nanny State even though he meant well.

nobody's_hero
08-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Crap, somehow I've put this in the wrong forum category.

Mod please move to U.S. politics or philosophy/discussion.

Thank you.

juleswin
08-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Federal laws are needed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d667Bb_iYA

I'm sorry to all of you who really like John Oliver, but frankly I've always felt him to be a bit of a liberal twit who would turn the U.S. into to the EU PC Nanny State even though he meant well.

He is a hit or miss kind of guy cos when he gets it, he really gets it. I listened to his presentation on infrastructure and I heard what I consider to be the most insane comment about taxes said on it. One of the news clips he cut and used for the program said something like "the problem with infrastructure funding is that the tax rates haven't gone up with inflation since the highway funds was established".

Its like the person who said it doesn't realize that tax portion from gasoline sales increase when gas price increases. You don't need to adjust it any further by raising taxes.

Champ
08-24-2015, 01:58 PM
100% accurate thread title. They can't.

However, John's idea that the federal government needs to step in (since apparently they are just?), is misguided.

acptulsa
08-24-2015, 02:00 PM
The only thing Washington, the District of Calamity can be trusted to do with civil rights is to strip them all from all of us equally, without regard to race, sex or other demographic.

Uriel999
08-24-2015, 04:36 PM
The only advice I want from a Brit is where I can find the best fish and chips.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
08-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Its like the person who said it doesn't realize that tax portion from gasoline sales increase when gas price increases. You don't need to adjust it any further by raising taxes.

The gas tax isn't a percentage tax. It's a flat fee per gallon.

jbauer
08-27-2015, 01:56 PM
The gas tax isn't a percentage tax. It's a flat fee per gallon.

Beat me to it. Gas tax is constant. If gas cost $0 you'd still be paying 18.4 cents per gallon federal. If gas was $10/gal, it'd be $10.184 at the pump. Now if there is a quirk in some state taxes?