PDA

View Full Version : Study shows "texting bans" increase accidents.

Anti Federalist
08-24-2015, 12:52 AM
Texting bans don't reduce crashes; effects are slight crash increases

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/texting-bans-dont-reduce-crashes-effects-are-slight-crash-increases

ARLINGTON, Va. — It's illegal to text while driving in most U.S. states. Yet a new study by researchers at the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) finds no reductions in crashes after laws take effect that ban texting by all drivers. In fact, such bans are associated with a slight increase in the frequency of insurance claims filed under collision coverage for damage to vehicles in crashes. This finding is based on comparisons of claims in 4 states before and after texting ban, compared with patterns of claims in nearby states.

The new findings, released today at the annual meeting of the Governors Highway Safety Association, are consistent with those of a previous HLDI study, which found that banning hand-held phone use while driving doesn't cut crashes. HLDI is an affiliate of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

HLDI researchers calculated rates of collision claims for vehicles up to 9 years old during the months immediately before and after driver texting was banned in California (January 2009), Louisiana (July 2008), Minnesota (August 2008), and Washington (January 2008). Comparable data were collected in nearby states where texting laws weren't substantially changed during the time span of the study. This controlled for possible changes in collision claim rates unrelated to the bans — changes in the number of miles driven due to the economy, seasonal changes in driving patterns, etc.

"Texting bans haven't reduced crashes at all. In a perverse twist, crashes increased in 3 of the 4 states we studied after bans were enacted. It's an indication that texting bans might even increase the risk of texting for drivers who continue to do so despite the laws," says Adrian Lund, president of both HLDI and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

HLDI's new findings about texting, together with the organization's previous finding that hand-held phone bans didn't reduce crashes, "call into question the way policymakers are trying to address the problem of distracted driving crashes," Lund adds.

GunnyFreedom
08-24-2015, 12:58 AM
Of course thy do. Nobody stopped texting, just instead of holding the phone up above the steering wheel to try and watch the road while texting they are holding the phone in their laps. Voila, more accidents.

Anti Federalist
08-24-2015, 01:08 AM
Of course thy do. Nobody stopped texting, just instead of holding the phone up above the steering wheel to try and watch the road while texting they are holding the phone in their laps. Voila, more accidents.

The solution is clear:

Moar laws.

Moar enforcement.

Lafayette
08-24-2015, 01:14 AM
Study is irrelevant , hand over your cash citizen, its for your safety.

Root
08-24-2015, 07:32 AM
For me, the problem with texting and driving is the phone was not a fixed distance from my eye, so it took me a moment to re-aquire it. By mounting a cradle on my dashboard, the "buttons" on the phone are always at a fixed distance to my eyes, and in my field of view of the road. I mostly use my iPhone for gps navigation and audio while driving.

2young2vote
08-24-2015, 08:30 AM
Its because now people have to look away from the road to their fancy new radio and climate control screens built into their new overpriced cars just to change the radio station or fan speed.

Texting while driving DOES increase the number of crashes, but making it illegal is not going to have any impact.

tod evans
08-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Last week it was weed that increased accidents, before that hamburgers and don't forget the ever popular booze!:eek:

Boogity-boogity.

We're all gonna die!

donnay
08-24-2015, 08:50 AM
Last week it was weed that increased accidents, before that hamburgers and don't forget the ever popular booze!:eek:

Boogity-boogity.

We're all gonna die!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4c/13/73/4c1373585dfc58df1a37fe8a16d9abed.jpg

~ Rosanna Rosanna Danna.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Well I've almost gotten run over multiple times by teenagers thumbing their phones while they're supposed to be driving. But I've almost gotten hit by women doing their makeup with one hand while driving with the other, so obviously phones aren't the problem, it's women. :D

Anti Federalist
08-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Well I've almost gotten run over multiple times by teenagers thumbing their phones while they're supposed to be driving. But I've almost gotten hit by women doing their makeup with one hand while driving with the other, so obviously phones aren't the problem, it's women. :D

Well, women and teenagers finger fucking phones.

Brian4Liberty
08-24-2015, 09:47 AM
The road to hell is paved with traffic laws...

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Well, women and teenagers finger fucking phones.

I think it's stupid to ban using a phone or doing anything else, it all should just fall under reckless driving. What difference does it make if you're killing people because you're touching your phone or because you're doing your hair? None. It seems kind of redundant to ban any individual act that can distract you despite some people actually being capable of doing it without being distracted.

Seatbelt laws are the most ironic, because a lot of people I know are distracted by wearing a seatbelt.

Brian4Liberty
08-24-2015, 09:48 AM
There's been this thing called a radio that has been in cars forever. Should probably ban those.

DamianTV
08-24-2015, 11:47 AM

Boogity-boogity.

We're all gonna die!

I think youve almost got the big picture. But apply the Hegalian Dialectic to what happens when everything is a threat. Problem, threats, threats everywhere. Reaction, fear, oh please save us from everything. Solution, take away ALL RIGHTS, and the ability to drive, put it all in the hands of machines. Do not make any important decisions, for that is the job of Rulers.

In the future, people will merely be passengers in their own cars. They wont have to pay attention to the road, but being drunk in a car will still be illegal. They will have more free time to listen to ads and consume what they are told to consume. People will not be allowed to decide what they are going to eat for that day because making wrong food choices leads to health problems. Of course, there is no such thing as a Drug Interaction cuz your doctors know all the pills you should be taking, but look out dangerous Food Interactions, thats why all food needs to be controlled by Govt and Corporations. Jobs will be assigned, but people will no longer get to choose where they work. There will not be any negotiations for wages.

End result is there is no longer any such thing as Free Will. The only choices that people will be allowed to make are the meaningless choices such as Coke or Pepsi, and all choices will support the Corporations. All meaningful choices will be prohibited and dealt with.

When Free Will dies, Freedom dies.