PDA

View Full Version : GM may import a Buick built in China

Anti Federalist
08-18-2015, 05:26 PM
GM may import a Buick built in China

http://www.kspr.com/life/money/gm-may-import-a-buick-built-in-china/21052342_34785544

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -General Motors may be the first U.S. automaker to build a car in China and sell it in the U.S. market.

IHS Automotive says its analysis leads it to believe GM is planning to start shipping a small SUV, the Buick Envision, back to the U.S. by next year. The car is built in Shanghai for the China market.

GM builds and sells more cars in China than in the U.S. The Buick brand is very popular in China, far more so than in the U.S.

GM would neither confirm nor deny plans to export the Envision to the U.S.

"It is all speculation at this point," said Buick spokesman Nick Richards. "To this point we haven't disclosed any plans for it outside of China."

There is only one other major automaker, Volvo, which has announced plans to export a car from China to the United States. And Volvo is owned by the Chinese automaker Geely.

GM could face a backlash if it decides to export a Chinese car to the U.S. The federal government spent $49.5 billion bailing out GM when it went through bankruptcy in 2009. GM repaid its loans, but taxpayers ended up with a $10.6 billion loss on the bailout.

GM and other automakers' investment in plants in China and elsewhere in the world have been criticized by U.S. politicians, including leading Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump.

And GM, along with Ford Motor and Fiat Chrysler, is in contract negotiations with the United Auto Workers union. The current pact is due to expire next month. A key union demand in those talks is guarantees from the automaker to build as many cars as possible for the U.S. market at U.S. plants.

The Envision is a compact SUV, and Buick does not currently offer a small SUV for its U.S. buyers. IHS forecasts that GM would be selling about 38,000 Envisions in the U.S. by 2017, compared to about 126,000 it is now selling annually in China.

"I think it's much more needing the product in the U.S. market than having excess capacity in China," said IHS analyst Stephanie Brinley. "It'll be a nice boost for Buick in a popular segment of the U.S. market."

So far the growing demand for cars by Chinese buyers has swallowed up most of the output from auto plants there. But more auto plants are being added in China every year by car makers focused on the market and Chinese economic growth is slowing.

So some critics of U.S.-China trade policy are concerned that China could soon take aim at capturing a significant share of the U.S. auto market, hurting output from U.S. plants.

But even if GM does start to export Chinese cars to the U.S., that won't necessarily be opening the door to Chinese cars flooding the market here, said Brinley.

"It's not going to be viewed by buyers as a Chinese vehicle," she said. "The Buick Encore is imported from South Korea. The Cascada will be coming from Europe. Most people don't even know where the cars come from. I don't think this means U.S. consumers will be more inclined to accept a Chinese automaker."

Danke
08-18-2015, 06:02 PM
I fly to China, it is amazing how many new "foriegn" cars on the road over there, until someone told me they are all made in China.

bunklocoempire
08-18-2015, 06:23 PM
GM could face a backlash

lol Yeah right -from maybe the dollar folding.

nobody's_hero
08-18-2015, 06:38 PM
I fly to China, it is amazing how many new "foriegn" cars on the road over there, until someone told me they are all made in China.

Equally amazing is how many foreign auto manufacturers assemble vehicles here in the U.S.

My Toyota Tacoma was assembled in Texas. (parts and shit came from Mexico, but the final completion is done right here in the U.S. of A.)

If UAW members worry about American jobs maybe they need to quit their stupid job-killing union and go to work for BMW in Tennessee or Kia in Georgia.

AuH20
08-18-2015, 06:39 PM
China is 'winning' alright.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3201954/Breathing-Beijing-s-air-equivalent-smoking-FORTY-cigarettes-day-Smog-map-China-reveals-shocking-extent-pollution.html

Breathing in Beijing's air is the equivalent to smoking FORTY cigarettes a day: Smog map of China reveals shocking extent of pollution

Newly released data shows that air pollution kills 4,000 a day in China

Problem is particularly bad in the east of the country including Beijing

Data from 1,500 monitoring stations was analysed by Berkeley Earth

Solutions to the problem include switching from coal to natural gas and improved energy efficiency

Danke
08-18-2015, 06:48 PM
Equally amazing is how many foreign auto manufacturers assemble vehicles here in the U.S.

My Toyota Tacoma was assembled in Texas. (parts and shit came from Mexico, but the final completion is done right here in the U.S. of A.)

If UAW members worry about American jobs maybe they need to quit their stupid job-killing union and go to work for BMW in Tennessee or Kia in Georgia.

Good point, and I really don't know if true, but the same models fetch a higher price if made in Europe as the Chinese think they are of better quality.

sparebulb
08-18-2015, 08:24 PM
F a bunch of GM.

They are dead to me.....and my wallet.

phill4paul
08-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Why not? They import the bridges they drive on.

FindLiberty
08-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Will the China/GM car be better than a Toyota?

acptulsa
08-18-2015, 09:52 PM
And did they redesign the front end to fit the old Chevy truck squinty headlights?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/1st-Chevrolet-Avalanche.jpg

Uriel999
08-18-2015, 10:09 PM
Will the China/GM car be better than a Toyota?

Never!!!!

Then again...I am the proud owner of a Taco...LOVE that truck...I'm biased...

cindy25
08-18-2015, 10:31 PM
another issue for Trump

oyarde
08-18-2015, 10:39 PM
Rumor I heard is all but two models will be built in china. It is the luxury car of choice there, nothing like my new '73 Apollo though :)

Origanalist
08-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Rumor I heard is all but two models will be built in china. It is the luxury car of choice there, nothing like my new '73 Apollo though :)

I don't drive anything [edit]post 1985. The further back the better, until they're outlawed. after that I may just hop trains.

libertariantexas
08-20-2015, 03:55 AM
This should surprise no one. We live in a global economy.

My last Chevy was made in Canada. My current Chevy truck was made in the Indiana.

My wife's "German" BMW was made in South Africa of all places. Her previous "Japanese" Acura was made in Ohio.

And in all of those vehicles, the parts came from all over the world.

oyarde
08-20-2015, 08:07 AM

My last Chevy was made in Canada. My current Chevy truck was made in the Indiana.

My wife's "German" BMW was made in South Africa of all places. Her previous "Japanese" Acura was made in Ohio.

And in all of those vehicles, the parts came from all over the world.
Yeah , my last Impala was made in Canada , my current F 150 , Kentucky , I think, the exhaust for both , Indiana .I know at one time the exhaust tubing for china Buick was still made in Indiana.

Anti Federalist
08-20-2015, 09:08 AM

Right, and with that will come global regulations and global taxation.

And that should concern anyone that cares about liberty.

TheCount
08-20-2015, 09:35 AM
They already imported Daewoos with Chevy badges on them as part of their "An American Revolution" campaign. Very American indeed. :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Aveo_%28T200%29

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/2003-2004_Daewoo_Kalos_%28T200%29_SE_5-door_hatchback_%282011-01-12%29.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/Chevrolet-Aveo-hatchback.jpg

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Aveo_%28T200%29)

JK/SEA
08-20-2015, 10:42 AM
time for an ACM movement.

American Cars Matter...

tod evans
08-20-2015, 10:44 AM
time for an ACM movement.

American Cars Matter...

Racist........:cool:

[edit]

I got chastised for using the term "Jap-crap" by one of my liberal clients a while back...

Sola_Fide
08-20-2015, 11:45 AM

My Toyota was made in Canada.