PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Editor PREDICTED COLORADO EPA SPILL One Week Before Catastrophe

donnay
08-13-2015, 11:46 PM
Letter to Editor PREDICTED COLORADO EPA SPILL One Week Before Catastrophe=> So EPA Could Secure Control of Area

Jim Hoft Aug 12th, 2015 8:09 am

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-content/uploads/epa-spill--575x334.jpg

Letter to Editor PREDICTED COLORADO EPA SPILL One Week Before Catastrophe=> So EPA Could Secure Control of Area (Updated)

Jim Hoft Aug 12th, 2015 8:09 am 193 Comments

epa spill
Last Wednesday, a small EPA-supervised work crew inspecting the Gold King mine accidentally knocked a hole in a waste pit, releasing at least three million gallons of acidic liquid laden with toxic heavy metals. (ABC)

This letter to editor, posted below, and written by Dave Taylor, from Farmington, New Mexico, was published in The Silverton Standard and The Miner local newspaper, authored by a retired geologist, one week before EPA mine spill. The letter detailed verbatim, how EPA officials would foul up the Animas River on purpose in order to secure superfund money. If the Gold King mine was declared a superfund site it would essentially kill future development for the mining industry in the area. The Obama EPA is vehemently opposed to mining and development.

The EPA pushed for nearly 25 years, to apply its Superfund program to the Gold King mine. If a leak occurred the EPA would then receive superfund status. That is exactly what happened.

The EPA today admitted they misjudged the pressure in the gold mine before the spill – just as this editorial predicted.

The letter was included in their print edition on July 30, 2015. The spill occurred one week later.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-content/uploads/editorial-colorado-epa-575x1989.jpg

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/08/letter-to-editor-predicted-colorado-epa-spill-one-week-before-catastrophe-so-epa-could-secure-superfund-cash/

roho76
08-14-2015, 04:51 AM
This story is unbelievable! So sad. It's not surprising that people who "love the environment" are so blazingly willing to ruin it just for a bigger budget. I hate every part of our government and the things they are willing to do to get their way.

sparebulb
08-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Just how many 'Murikans possess the reading and comprehensive skills to disseminate this man's fine letter to the newspaper?

My guess is not many.

How many 'Murikans would accept a "journalist's" analysis of this man's letter as being the ramblings of a bitter, anti-government kook with no credibility?

My guess is most of them.

euphemia
08-14-2015, 09:37 AM
All this time I thought it was on purpose and dismissed it as my own cynicism.

Because if I was right and not just being cynical, it is a criminal matter and the people who did it should be in jail.

Occam's Banana
08-14-2015, 09:42 AM
http://i.imgur.com/zAhS3n2.jpg

Dianne
08-14-2015, 09:44 AM
All this time I thought it was on purpose and dismissed it as my own cynicism.

Because if I was right and not just being cynical, it is a criminal matter and the people who did it should be in jail.

I had the same thoughts. I just didn't know the motive, now I do.

RonTrumpsTheEstablishment
08-14-2015, 09:45 AM
To be fair, it's not exactly hard to predict that the government will screw up and embarrass themselves. They do it all the time.

acptulsa
08-14-2015, 09:49 AM
To be fair, it's not exactly hard to predict that the government will screw up and embarrass themselves. They do it all the time.

So he deserves no credit for naming exactly how and why? Even though the fact that he proved this disaster was predictable and preventable could prove very useful in the lawsuits to come?

pcosmar
08-14-2015, 10:14 AM

Embarrass?
Perhaps a feigned show of embarrassment.

It was likely planned..

donnay
08-14-2015, 02:12 PM
"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

jonhowe
08-15-2015, 07:46 AM
This story is unbelievable! So sad. It's not surprising that people who "love the environment" are so blazingly willing to ruin it just for a bigger budget. I hate every part of our government and the things they are willing to do to get their way.

To be fair, the danger was created by the company that originally ran the mine and created the toxic water. The state, decades ago, let them off the hook and washed their hands of the matter; all they did was wall off the mine. This caused the toxic water to rise and spread to other mines.

Not saying the EPA doesn't share some fault for shoddy work (maybe intentionally so), but the original sin does not lie with them on this one, it's on the gold miners.

Occam's Banana
08-15-2015, 12:15 PM
To be fair, the danger was created by the company that originally ran the mine and created the toxic water. The state, decades ago, let them off the hook and [let them wash] their hands of the matter [...]

The Animas River is now polluted as it is in direct consequence of the EPA's actions.

The EPA, by its own admission, is to blame for this - but, of course, "sovereign immunity" ...

As acptulsa mentioned in the other thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?479912-Toxic-mine-water-accidentally-released-by-EPA-in-Colorado-river-flows-south), this is one of the chief purposes of the EPA.

Letting polluters off the hook by protecting them from the rights of property owners is what the EPA is for.

And in this particular case, in addition to having fulfilled its "prime directive," the EPA and its rent-seeking co-parasites (erm, excuse me, I mean "contractors") will get the added bonus of some Superfund gravy ...

pcosmar
08-15-2015, 02:59 PM
And in this particular case, in addition to having fulfilled its "prime directive," the EPA and its rent-seeking co-parasites (erm, excuse me, I mean "contractors") will get the added bonus of some Superfund gravy ...

As well as gaining More Federal Control over even more lands. :(

Brian4Liberty
08-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Very interesting.

fr33
08-15-2015, 09:02 PM
I've had lots of fun on the Animas River so I've been watching this story intently. Only Breitbart has contacted Dave Taylor in Farmington. What the hell?? He should be all over the media by now.

donnay
08-22-2015, 10:02 AM
EPA knew about risk of catastrophic 'blowout' at abandoned Colorado mine that spilled gallons of toxic waste into clean water reservoirs

AP
22 August 2015

Internal documents released late Friday show managers at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency were aware of the potential for a catastrophic 'blowout' at an abandoned mine that could release 'large volumes' of wastewater laced with toxic heavy metals.

EPA released the documents following weeks of prodding from The Associated Press and other media organizations.

EPA and contract workers accidentally unleashed 3 million gallons of contaminated wastewater on August 5 as they inspected the idled Gold King Mine near Silverton, Colorado.

Among the documents is a June 2014 work order for a planned cleanup that noted that the old mine had not been accessible since 1995, when the entrance partially collapsed.

The plan appears to have been produced by Environmental Restoration, a private contractor working for EPA.

'This condition has likely caused impounding of water behind the collapse,' the report says.

'ln addition, other collapses within the workings may have occurred creating additional water impounding conditions. Conditions may exist that could result in a blowout of the blockages and cause a release of large volumes of contaminated mine waters and sediment from inside the mine, which contain concentrated heavy metals.'

A subsequent May 2015 action plan for the mine also notes the potential for a blowout.

Continued... (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3207009/EPA-knew-risk-catastrophic-blowout-abandoned-Colorado-spilled-gallons-toxic-waste-clean-water-reservoirs.html)