PDA

View Full Version : 'Rand Paul Compares Donald Trump to ‘the Emperor With No Clothes’' - NYTimes

notsure
08-10-2015, 10:21 PM
Rand Paul Compares Donald Trump to ‘the Emperor With No Clothes’
By Alan Rappeport (8/10/2015)

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/08/10/rand-paul-compares-donald-trump-to-the-emperor-with-no-clothes/?_r=0

Lagging in the polls, Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky set aside his right to privacy agenda on Monday afternoon to take up another cause: derailing Donald J. Trump.

Mr. Paul laid into Mr. Trump in an afternoon conference call, calling him “a bully” and an “empty suit,” and comparing him to the “emperor with no clothes.”

“Are we going to fix the country through bombast and empty blather?” Mr. Paul asked. “Somebody has to challenge him.”

Mr. Paul has made that his mission. He started the Republican presidential debate on Thursday evening with a verbal assault on Mr. Trump’s integrity, accusing him of pretending to be conservative and cozying up to the Clintons.

He followed that with an op-ed in IJReview listing Mr. Trump’s history of liberal positions and calling on Republican voters to fire Mr. Trump and pick a serious candidate.

On Monday evening, Mr. Trump responded on Twitter, comparing Mr. Paul to a “spoiled brat” and saying he “was terrible at DEBATE!”

The confrontation with Mr. Trump comes as Mr. Paul’s campaign appears to be stumbling. His debate performance was panned and recent polls have shown him slipping into the bottom tier of candidates.

Last week also brought the specter of scandal, as a close aide and the head of a “super PAC” that supports the senator was indicted on charges of hiding secret payments while working on the 2012 presidential campaign of Ron Paul, Mr. Paul’s father.

Mr. Paul had little to say about that on Monday, instead reminding voters of his Tea Party credentials and directing his ire at Mr. Trump.

“I think if no one stands up to a bully, a bully will just keep doing what they’re doing,” Mr. Paul said. “Unless someone points out the emperor has no clothes, they will continue to strut about, and then we’ll end up with a reality TV star as our nominee.”

rich34
08-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Good for Rand! This play could also be trying to remain in the next republican debate. Even though I do not believe the current polls and it sounds like Rand doesn't either realizing it's all made for tv and ratings. So another possible reason in going after Trump right now is to keep him in the debates just to have some fireworks between Rand and Trump. I know many here will say the establishment is using him, but I don't see it that way. I see it as Rand is using them. If they're going to let him attack Trump he's going to do it, but do it to where it benefits him and he'll deal with their attacks later once he gets his footing reestablished. There's plenty of time for Rand to go after other candidates. That time will come, but at the moment Trump is at the top of the list. I think once Rand deals with Trump and gets a better footing he'll then be able to go after the likes of Bush and preferably Cruz. I think Rand would have more to gain going after Cruz than he would Bush. Rand was way out in first before Cruz got involved and divided up the "tea party" vote. Which is probably why Rand is going by to using the words tea party. There's nothing wrong with that, besides, we all know who the real godfather of the tea party is/was anyway. Rand's papa! That is before it became an extension of the republican party. Oh well, once again, nothing wrong with Rand using them to achieve his goal of winning the nomination.