PDA

View Full Version : FCC Commissioner Says Broadband Taxes Are Coming

Brian4Liberty
08-10-2015, 05:34 PM
FCC Commissioner Says Broadband Taxes Are Coming (http://www.freedomworks.org/content/fcc-commissioner-says-broadband-taxes-are-coming)
By Logan Albright - Aug 5, 2015

When the FCC announced that it was going to regulate internet service providers as telecommunications companies, the agency was careful to assuage fears about regulatory overreach. The final rule took pains to assure us that the only purpose of a more heavily regulated internet was to enforce the principle of Net Neutrality, a workaround of a federal court’s decision that the agency was exceeding its authority.

A federal Net Neutrality mandate is bad policy on its own, but the further reaching regulations the FCC ultimately adopted were far worse. Recognizing this, Commissioner Tom Wheeler told us not to worry. The agency was going to use “forbearance,” meaning it had no plans to use the new powers it had granted itself.

Now, surprise surprise, those promises are being revealed to be as empty as AMTRAK train, as Commissioner Ajit Pai has revealed that the agency is planning a hefty broadband tax hike in the near future.

Pai said, “Most immediately I think what is going to happen is that the FCC has specifically opened the door to an increase on the tax that is going to be placed on broadband. We are waiting for a joint board to recommend to us on April 7 how big that tax is going to be. So I would imagine in the next month or two we are going to see, for the first time, taxes placed on broadband bills so your bills are going to go up .”
Those of us opposing the FCC’s actions have known for some time that the government never grants itself taxing power without the intention to use it, and that Net Neutrality was merely the first step in a more comprehensive government takeover of the internet.
More: http://www.freedomworks.org/content/fcc-commissioner-says-broadband-taxes-are-coming

Uriel999
08-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Great...for fucks sake, ruin the government bureaucrats just can't let us have anything nice.

timosman
08-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Wow, that was quick. Wonder how all these useful idiots in favor of net neutrality feel now ? What's next ? Mandatory ID cards to use the internets ?

oyarde
08-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Fuckers.

Cissy
08-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Pai said, “Most immediately I think what is going to happen is that the FCC has specifically opened the door to an increase on the tax that is going to be placed on broadband. We are waiting for a joint board to recommend to us on April 7 how big that tax is going to be. So I would imagine in the next month or two we are going to see, for the first time, taxes placed on broadband bills so your bills are going to go up .”

I'm not seeing a source for this opinion outside of the initial blog posting. That isn't to say that the FCC isn't looking to increase broadband taxes (I'm sure they are) but that I'd like independent verification.

Carlybee
08-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Good..I will cancel my internet and go back to two cups and a string.

Uriel999
08-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Good..I will cancel my internet and go back to two cups and a string.

Once the government gets done breaking the Internet those two cups and string will be faster, cheaper, and more reliable than broadband.

brushfire
08-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Only a fool would expect some other outcome. Well done everyone... enjoy your net neuterality.

puppetmaster
08-11-2015, 02:38 PM
I smell a FU pirate opportunity