PDA

View Full Version : An Unknown Truck Driver Just Became the Democratic Nominee for the Governor of Mississippi

timosman
08-09-2015, 09:43 AM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/06/an-unknown-truck-driver-just-became-the-democratic-nominee-for-the-governor-of-mississippi.html

http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/articles/2015/08/06/an-unknown-truck-driver-just-became-the-democratic-nominee-for-the-governor-of-mississippi/jcr:content/image.crop.800.500.jpg/47963088.cached.jpg

He was too busy truck driving to vote for himself.

Robert Gray was driving a truck for his small business Fancy Horse Transportation on Monday. On Tuesday, he was the Democratic nominee for governor of Mississippi.

The 46-year-old from Terry, Mississippi, didn’t even vote in the primary, allegedly too busy operating his independent livestock hauling business. His opponent, incumbent Governor Phil Bryant, has a reported $2.8 million cache in his campaign fund, while Gray is living day to day without health insurance.

It’s not that Gray won by default either. Democrats in Mississippi had two well-funded, hard-working candidates with clear-cut goals and practiced rhetoric. He soundly defeated Vicki Slater, a trial lawyer with the backing of a lot of the Democratic establishment, and Dr. Valerie Adream Smartt Short, an obstetrician-gynecologist—without spending a single penny. In a heartbreaking admission, Slater reportedly told the AP “I did everything I could to win this.” The Daily Beast has reached out to her campaign for comment and has yet to hear back.

Gray earned 51 percent of the vote Tuesday, obliterating Slater, who nabbed only 30.2 percent. A small group of Mississippi Democrats have begun to galvanize support for the candidate, creating a Facebook page with a mere 170 likes.

The Democratic establishment is seemingly holding their breath as they trudge toward the November election with a candidate that is the textbook definition of an Average Joe. The chances of Democrats actually winning the election were always vanishingly small, but Gray’s appearance at the top of the ticket will likely complicate efforts to hold on to the offices they do control in the deep-red state.

“I did not know Mr. Gray prior to Tuesday’s election,” Brandon Jones, the executive director of the Mississippi Democratic Trust, said in an interview with The Daily Beast. “This was a very unique moment where you had the two most prominent and most well financed candidates defeated by a person who didn’t raise money.”

tod evans
08-09-2015, 09:57 AM
I've said for years that throwing a dart at the map and finding the first guy with calloused hands would net better politicians...

RJB
08-09-2015, 11:25 AM
"DeMint caused the recession." Should be his slogan as he carries the banner for Alvin Green.

Seriously, I wish the guy luck.

nobody's_hero
08-09-2015, 11:34 AM
^I also thought of South Carolina and Alvin Green. At least Mississippi Democratic party hasn't tried to have him removed.

Did people intentionally do this or did they just pick the first name on the ballot?

I'm going to change my name to Aaron Aardvark and run for office.

My slogan will be, "Alphabetical Order, suckas!"

Henry Rogue
08-09-2015, 11:36 AM
TPTB have a love/hate relationship with the Internet. On one hand they can keep surveillance of their flock, on the other they can't always control which direction the sheep will herd.

angelatc
08-09-2015, 12:19 PM
^I also thought of South Carolina and Alvin Green. At least Mississippi Democratic party hasn't tried to have him removed.

Did people intentionally do this or did they just pick the first name on the ballot?

I'm going to change my name to Aaron Aardvark and run for office.

My slogan will be, "Alphabetical Order, suckas!"

When they said top of the ticket, they did not mean alphabetically. They meant the governor's seat is the highest ranking seat on the ballot.

From what I heard, Alvin Green won because voters thought his name sounded black.

nobody's_hero
08-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Alvin Green won because he sounded like a singer/performer, at least that was one reason given by an interviewed voter.

But I'd like to know what order this guy's name appeared on the ballot amongst his competitors.

I'll be truly f'king shocked if people actually voted for this guy with purposeful intent. I'm willing to bet that the names were listed in alphabetical order (Gray comes before Slater and Short) and people just picked the first one because they had no idea who any of the candidates were. Not to mention if you have a name like Dr. Valerie Adream Smartt Short, no one is going to even bother to finish reading your long-ass name much less take the time to learn about your candidacy.

I'm confident in such a theory, because that's about the most depth I'll give to the reasoning ability of the average voter.

Having said that, if this guy manages to win the governor's office it will be nice to see what your average blue-collar worker could accomplish as a Governor, but I'm guessing his first act will be to make sure someone pays for his insurance.

cajuncocoa
08-09-2015, 03:39 PM
It won't matter. The South only elects Republicans now. He'll lose in the general.

TheTexan
08-09-2015, 03:42 PM
It won't matter. The South only elects Republicans now. He'll lose in the general.

Hopefully you're right. It would be a terrible tragedy for a plebian to be given such an important title & position by what ultimately amounts to luck.

The political process must be followed.

XNavyNuke
08-09-2015, 03:58 PM
"We need to get our young men and women working. We don’t need to raise taxes. We need more people paying taxes.”

Republicans won't vote for him because he is a Democrat and Democrats won't vote for him because he's a black that doesn't sound like he wants to expand the communal plantation.

XNN

Southron
08-09-2015, 03:59 PM

It's kind of amazing considering the Republican Party has never nominated a Southerner for President or VP.

RJB
08-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Having said that, if this guy manages to win the governor's office it will be nice to see what your average blue-collar worker could accomplish as a Governor, but I'm guessing his first act will be to make sure someone pays for his insurance.

I know my post sounded very cynical, but at this point I'd probably vote for him over an establishment candidate if I lived in MS, just to stir the pot a bit.

I