PDA

View Full Version : Target Promises To Stop Sorting Kids’ Merchandise By Gender

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-08-2015, 07:43 PM
While every kid has preferences, there’s no reason why little boys can’t play with dollhouses or why little girls can’t play with plastic dinosaurs. Some parents, kids, and other activists have started to ask retailers why store sections for anything marketed to kids is always separated into strict “girls” and “boys” sections with signage to match. One retailer announced today that they’ll be changing that.

Target will phase out their red-and-blue and pink-and-purple sections in the coming months, instead sorting items by what they are. For example, all cartoon character bedding sets or animated movies would be shelved together instead of separated by shelf for boys and for girls. Toys will be arranged the same way, with Target promising to even get rid of subtle cues about who toys are for, like “pink, blue, yellow or green paper” behind the actual shelves.

http://consumerist.com/2015/08/07/target-promises-to-stop-sorting-kids-merchandise-by-gender/

Holy shit, no, fuck you, put the labels back on. What's next, no more Men's or Women's clothing section? This mental retardation needs to stop. We're individuals that are all different, not bags of meat with eyes.

TheTexan
08-08-2015, 08:01 PM
This is a great decision by Target. I am very happy that they are finally ending their oppressive policies against trans-boy and trans-girl 4-12 year olds.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-08-2015, 08:07 PM
This is a great decision by Target. I am very happy that they are finally ending their oppressive policies against trans-boy and trans-girl 4-12 year olds.

Men in 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiNlpeyAaCw

Danke
08-08-2015, 08:09 PM
So HB won't have to shop in the women's section anymore?

timosman
08-08-2015, 08:11 PM
The End of Boys and Girls: These Companies Are Going to Change How Your Kids Dress

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?478505-The-End-of-Boys-and-Girls-These-Companies-Are-Going-to-Change-How-Your-Kids-Dress

jkr
08-08-2015, 08:26 PM
then how do i fucking shop for it?!?!?!

bye-bye targethttp://openwheel33.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/INDYtest-No.-9.jpg, ill find a Kmarthttp://farm7.static.flickr.com/6044/6220113287_826a4afd43.jpg

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-08-2015, 08:32 PM
I guess they just need to have one dressing room now since it's segregation to keep the meat blobs that identify as men and meat blobs that identify as women in different dressing rooms.

DevilsAdvocate
08-08-2015, 08:38 PM
We've got hordes of these creepy, childless wretches intent on doing everything they can to confuse your kids. Not unlike the parents in the news recently who decided to raise their 6 year old daughter as a boy because she liked running around and climbing trees. They figured it would be much less painful to change her gender now, then it would be for her to change it later. I suppose they just spun a wheel and took a chance that their daughter was one of the less than 2% of people that identify as gay.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-08-2015, 08:44 PM
We've got hordes of these creepy, childless wretches intent on doing everything they can to confuse your kids. Not unlike the parents in the news recently who decided to raise their 6 year old daughter as a boy because she liked running around and climbing trees. They figured it would be much less painful to change her gender now, then it would be for her to change it later. I suppose they just spun a wheel and took a chance that their daughter was one of the less than 2% of people that identify as gay.

Yup, these sick pedophiles are sexualizing kids before they even know what sex is.

heavenlyboy34
08-08-2015, 09:05 PM
So HB won't have to shop in the women's section anymore?

Nah, I get presents for you in that section. I hope they don't get rid of it, because it makes holiday shopping for you and my other ghey femme friends easier.

Ronin Truth
08-09-2015, 06:20 AM
Good, I'm really glad. That issue has been keeping me up nights.

Carlybee
08-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Let the free market work. Don't shop there.

wizardwatson
08-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Great idea.

Next, let's make it completely dark in every store everywhere so we don't discriminate against blind people.

timosman
08-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Great idea.

Next, let's make it completely dark in every store everywhere so we don't discriminate against blind people.

This is the premise of the movie 2081 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1282015/

A short film adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron, 2081 depicts a dystopian future in which, thanks to the 212th Amendment to the Constitution and the unceasing vigilance of the United States Handicapper General, everyone is "finally equal...." The strong wear weights, the beautiful wear masks and the intelligent wear earpieces that fire off loud noises to keep them from taking unfair advantage of their brains.

Already implemented in Scandinavian countries as Law of Jante - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante

Carlybee
08-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Great idea.

Silly...people would walk into walls. On the other hand you wouldn't be able to see their shitty merchandise.

tod evans
08-09-2015, 08:22 AM
The new politically correct unisex outer garment;

http://st.depositphotos.com/1005708/3448/i/950/depositphotos_34489603-Burlap-sack.jpg

timosman
08-09-2015, 08:27 AM
The new politically correct unisex outer garment;

Potato sack race ftw !

http://cdn.styleblueprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/potato_sack_race.jpg

angelatc
08-09-2015, 08:56 AM
http://consumerist.com/2015/08/07/target-promises-to-stop-sorting-kids-merchandise-by-gender/

Holy shit, no, fuck you, put the labels back on. What's next, no more Men's or Women's clothing section? This mental retardation needs to stop. We're individuals that are all different, not bags of meat with eyes.

And WalMart's toy sales will creep up as a result.

euphemia
08-09-2015, 09:47 AM
This is where the market can really come back to bite a retailer in the behind. Target was following trends in children's clothing and furnishing by developing and marketing products to parents and friends of gender specific children. They made a lot of money doing it, and I am just agape that they would not continue to dance with the one who brung 'em.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was in my childbearing years, ultrasound was not that common, and part of the surprise was finding out in the delivery room whether it was a boy or girl. We decorated our nurseries in colors that could go either way. The baby shower gifts went either way. I had a sea of green and yellow stuff for our girl. She got the girly pastels later on.

Here is my prediction: Nursery furnishings will not become more gender neutral, and people who expect boys will see what I have been saying all along. The market is very girlcentric. Children's sections will still be awash in pink. By mixing up the gender stuff, it will be all the more difficult to find things for a more gender-neutral or male room. Wait and see.

Paul Or Nothing II
08-09-2015, 10:39 AM
This is the premise of the movie 2081 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1282015/

A short film adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron, 2081 depicts a dystopian future in which, thanks to the 212th Amendment to the Constitution and the unceasing vigilance of the United States Handicapper General, everyone is "finally equal...." The strong wear weights, the beautiful wear masks and the intelligent wear earpieces that fire off loud noises to keep them from taking unfair advantage of their brains.

Already implemented in Scandinavian countries as Law of Jante - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante

It's really funny & sad at the same time how stupid most people are to not realize that discrimination & freedom are intimately interconnected (so long it's non-coercive discrimination); every time, we freely choose one thing over another, we are discriminating, so freedom can't exist without discrimination & therefore this obsession about discrimination must end, & people must realize that it's the coercion that's the real problem.

Ender
08-09-2015, 11:28 AM
I really don't see the problem in toys.

Dividing them up to "gender" is a bit silly - for instance "dinosaurs" are considered a boy's toy? The best paleontologist i studied under was a woman.

euphemia
08-09-2015, 11:42 AM
This is for kids toys and furnishings.

If you go into a Target store, generally the woman's clothing takes up the entire side wall. There is a separate section for women's workout clothing, lingerie and pajamas. The men's section takes up a tiny section along the back wall. They get very little choice on underwear or socks, and workout clothing takes up, at most, two racks.

In kids' clothing, boys have one tiny little space. Girls clothing has a big section. Baby and toddler clothing share one space.

They will make it harder to shop on line if they follow the brick and mortar store trend and mix it all together.

Having both boy and girl grandchildren, it will be eaiser to shop for toys if all like items are together, but I think they will lose market share by doing what they plan to do in furnishings.

They are going to have us all in brown shirts before it's all over with.

nobody's_hero
08-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I'm already paranoid about walking into shoe stores where they fail to label the shelving (aside from some very subtle images of athletes) and picking a woman's tennis shoe. (with tennis shoes, it's not always obvious unless it's some really obvious color like pink).

It seems like Footlocker is the worst.

sparebulb
08-09-2015, 12:34 PM
I haven't been to a Target for a couple or years or so ever since they started running all of their tv ads entirely in Spanish.

idiom
08-10-2015, 12:34 AM
Pink is for boys. It is a strong colour, blue is for girls as it is soft and feminine. Oh wait, that was 80 years ago.

Its fucking fashion people not hard wired.

Cissy
08-10-2015, 06:02 AM

The article is about toys. I doubt any parent or grandparent will have difficulty finding Legos in the Lego aisle, Barbies in the Barbie aisle or dinosaurs in their aisle. Because kids are individuals who are all different, mixing up the toys will appeal to many children as they become exposed to "new" toys.

Likewise, it's not going to hurt a kid if his Lighting McQueen bedsheets are sold next to Frozen merchandise.

Cissy
08-10-2015, 06:05 AM
I really don't see the problem in toys.

Dividing them up to "gender" is a bit silly - for instance "dinosaurs" are considered a boy's toy? The best paleontologist i studied under was a woman.

Yep, 20 or so odd years ago they weren't divided by gender. They were mixed in together. Even the colors on toys weren't expressly "male" or "female".

presence
08-10-2015, 06:20 AM
Yup, these sick pedophiles are sexualizing [and perverting] kids before they even know what sex is.

fixed

euphemia
08-10-2015, 06:29 AM
How many children actually shop for their own toys? Almost none. Parents and grandparents do that. Kids won't know whether that toy came from the girl or boy section, or from a mixed aisle.

euphemia
08-10-2015, 07:20 AM
Okay, Target says it is taking this step because of feedback from their customers. Actually, no. GMA is reporting it is one mom plus social media. That's not the same as people actually calling or emailing, or talking directly to store managers.

You watch. The mainstream media is losing power. Social media will rule everything. Because of Twitter will be the new reason.

timosman
08-10-2015, 07:27 AM
Okay, Target says it is taking this step because of feedback from their customers. Actually, no. GMA is reporting it is one mom plus social media. That's not the same as people actually calling or emailing, or talking directly to store managers.

You watch. The mainstream media is losing power. Social media will rule everything. Because of Twitter will be the new reason.

A convenient excuse more likely. For selected issues.

Carlybee
08-10-2015, 07:46 AM
This is where the market can really come back to bite a retailer in the behind. Target was following trends in children's clothing and furnishing by developing and marketing products to parents and friends of gender specific children. They made a lot of money doing it, and I am just agape that they would not continue to dance with the one who brung 'em.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was in my childbearing years, ultrasound was not that common, and part of the surprise was finding out in the delivery room whether it was a boy or girl. We decorated our nurseries in colors that could go either way. The baby shower gifts went either way. I had a sea of green and yellow stuff for our girl. She got the girly pastels later on.

Here is my prediction: Nursery furnishings will not become more gender neutral, and people who expect boys will see what I have been saying all along. The market is very girlcentric. Children's sections will still be awash in pink. By mixing up the gender stuff, it will be all the more difficult to find things for a more gender-neutral or male room. Wait and see.

I remember that too. Although I had a preemie so didn't even have a nursery ready :(. Personally I think people waste a lot of money on this kind of crap. Worry less about the pink fru fru and invest some money..of course that's 20-20 hindsight.

Carlybee
08-10-2015, 07:47 AM
I'm already paranoid about walking into shoe stores where they fail to label the shelving (aside from some very subtle images of athletes) and picking a woman's tennis shoe. (with tennis shoes, it's not always obvious unless it's some really obvious color like pink).

It seems like Footlocker is the worst.

Well unless you have big feet then you probably won't find too many size 12s and up in womens.

Cissy
08-10-2015, 11:55 AM
How many children actually shop for their own toys? Almost none. Parents and grandparents do that. Kids won't know whether that toy came from the girl or boy section, or from a mixed aisle.

Most children don't purchase their own toys, however, they are well known for consistently requesting toys, particularly ones they didn't 'know' they 'needed'.

bunklocoempire
08-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Potato sack race ftw !

http://cdn.styleblueprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/potato_sack_race.jpg

Potato sack? You oppresive mo'fo.

Enough with the labels already, please refer to these as "uni-sacks". Thank you.