PDA

View Full Version : How will Huckabee's poll numbers affected by this rape scandal?

shepburn
12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
In the next week or two, how will Huckabee's poll numbers affected by this rape scandal?

RobS
12-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Don't know about the rape scandal specifically, but watch this speech by the Iowa campaign coordinator, I think you'll like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wo7G6j6bi4

nist7
12-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Has any mainstream media even covered this scandal?

I knw this is all over Digg and a few "small-time" news/blog sites, but not sure about the heavy hitter news corporations.....

shepburn
12-05-2007, 08:58 PM
CNN covered this at length today

Real_CaGeD
12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
He has peaked and is in a free fall. How low he will go, I dont know.

Danny Molina
12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Morning Joe covered it.

Ron Paul Fan
12-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Huckabee is finished. He lacks good morals which is pretty important when you're a Pastor and your base is evangelical Christians. He also lacks good judgement required to be President. He let a rapist go free, he destroyed evidence, and he was a liberal governor. He will be further exposed by the media and Romney. He won't make it past the Iowa Caucus.

winston_blade
12-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Huckabee will fall beyond belief now. I would be surprised if he gets in the top two in Iowa now. If there is something that the evangelicals dislike more than abortion, it is rape and then murder, which takes a close second to murder then rape. Order makes all the difference to these people.....

nist7
12-05-2007, 09:09 PM
CNN covered this at length today

holy craP!!

I just did a quick sweep through all the major news websites (FOX, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc. etc.) and they all reported on Huckster's rape scandal

Huck. Is. Gone.

Naraku
12-05-2007, 09:09 PM
I think this will hurt Huckabee, but not too badly.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-05-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm more concerned with his puppy mutilating son.
I don't want a POTUS that effs up a child like that.

McDermit
12-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I hope it hurts, but meh.. who knows.

McDermit
12-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm more concerned with his puppy mutilating son.
I don't want a POTUS that effs up a child like that.

:rolleyes:

dircha
12-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Well, the more headlines we see reading "Huckabee Rape Scandal" the more it will hurt him. Unfortunately I don't think that is how most news outlets are putting it.

Maybe Romney will authorize some push polling for: "Does news of candidate Mike Huckabee's rape scandal affect your opinion of his moral judgment?" :)

dsentell
12-05-2007, 09:14 PM
You guys are too young to remember, but this is exactly what killed Michael Dukakis' bid for the presidency in 1988.

Dukakis had a furlow program in which a killer named Willie Horton was released. After being released, Horton raped and assaulted a woman.

Down the tubes . . .

10thAmendmentMan
12-05-2007, 09:15 PM
I bet most people forget this by the time they actually hit the polls.

quickmike
12-05-2007, 09:16 PM
I think this will hurt him somewhat, but more importantly, it will cause people who were favoring him to now look a little closer at his ACTUAL voting record in the past, and not rely so much on his smooth talking BS. This exact same thing killed Michael Dukakis when he ran.

http://forerunner.com/forerunner/X0158_Dukakis__Willie_Hort.html

fluoridatedbrainsoup
12-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Mods, please move this into general politics and other. This is publicity for another candidate and has no place here.

coffeewithchess
12-05-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't see this really affecting him...I do think the media should do both sides of the story and allow him to defend(even though he spins it). What if the media reported on Ron Paul's comments in his newsletter and didn't let Ron Paul defend it...I see this as the same thing.

sharedvoice
12-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Morning Joe covered it.
Here's the Morning Joe vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iNayBL4otY

quickmike
12-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Mods, please move this into general politics and other. This is publicity for another candidate and has no place here.

True, but its BAD news about another candidate, which is good.:D

dmspilot00
12-05-2007, 09:20 PM
You guys are too young to remember, but this is exactly what killed Michael Dukakis' bid for the presidency in 1988.

Dukakis had a furlow program in which a killer named Willie Horton was released. After being released, Horton raped and assaulted a woman.

Down the tubes . . .

That was a general election though, not a primary.

kevinblack
12-05-2007, 09:21 PM
As far as I have been able to understand the story it goes something like this:

Old boys network1: Hey Huckster, if you free this guy it will *chuckle* *chuckle* clinton.
Old boys network2: Yeah Mikee, he is a good boy from church and *chuckle* *chuckle*
Huck boy: Aw shucks, is that a bag of money? You really shouldn't have *chuckle* *chuckle*

This is a non story and will not hurt his campaign at all, it shows people who understand what is going on that he is a "team" player. MSM will shove this under the rug in no time flat.

klamath
12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
As far as I have been able to understand the story it goes something like this:

Old boys network1: Hey Huckster, if you free this guy it will *chuckle* *chuckle* clinton.
Old boys network2: Yeah Mikee, he is a good boy from church and *chuckle* *chuckle*
Huck boy: Aw shucks, is that a bag of money? You really shouldn't have *chuckle* *chuckle*

This is a non story and will not hurt his campaign at all, it shows people who understand what is going on that he is a "team" player. MSM will shove this under the rug in no time flat.
But the Clintons won't let it go especially since Huck is trying to pin it on Bill.

xexkxex
12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
I would say that this all depends on whether or not the MSM is reporting it to get it out of the way..or if they will dunk our heads in it....

.....let's hope the latter.

quickmike
12-05-2007, 09:26 PM

Yeah, and in a primary, people will have a whole slew of other candidates to run to instead of Huckster when they hear about this bad news, whereas in a general, it would hurt less because people would still vote along party lines.

aravoth
12-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I think it's hilarious how the people at Huck's army are Justifying this crap. Since I know they troll here, lemme just say this...

I don't give a crap about any circumstances, or reason's Huckabee let him go. The man raped and murdered a young woman because of what Mike Huckabee did. Justify it all you want, his actions caused the death of a person. Why you blindly follow a man like this is beyond me. And you should be ashamed for the crap you've put on your forum, trying to find "ways" to silence it before the MSM picks up on it. The parents of the woman who was murdered will never have thier feelings of loss silenced. You people make me sick.

kevinblack
12-05-2007, 09:31 PM
>But the Clintons won't let it go especially since Huck is trying to pin it on Bill.

Good point, but he is not running against Hillary during the primaries. I would be very surprised if she brings this up just yet.

r3volution
12-05-2007, 09:32 PM
I think it's hilarious how the people at Huck's army are Justifying this crap. Since I know they troll here, lemme just say this...

I don't give a crap about any circumstances, or reason's Huckabee let him go. The man raped and murdered a young woman because of what Mike Huckabee did. Justify it all you want, his actions caused the death of a person. Why you blindly follow a man like this is beyond me. And you should be ashamed for the crap you've put on your forum, trying to find "ways" to silence it before the MSM picks up on it. The parents of the women who was murdered will never have thier feelings of loss silenced. You people make me sick.

well put ..

all J's in IL for RP
12-05-2007, 09:35 PM

And someone was at the other podium to point it out.

This story doesn't sink Huckabee. An aggregate of stories along these lines might bring up questions of judgment if they're linear, but they all seem to be spilling out at the same time. Reminds me of the proactive Clinton campaigns actions to mitigate bimbo explosions. Get it all out of the way before anyone is paying attention and then say "I've already dealt with that issue" when people tune in.

Arkansas politics as usual?

noztnac
12-05-2007, 09:37 PM
It depends on how many people hear about it. Put this poll up wherever you can put polls up. Poll five people a day.

dircha
12-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Mike Huckabee: Arkansas's Dirty Little Secret

shepburn
12-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I personally believe this story will continue to haunt Huckabee. His answers seem like spin at best. If he had a good answer to this story, he would have already come up with it!

Dave Wood
12-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Mike Huckabee: Arkansas's Dirty Little Secret

they seem to have a LOT of them??!! :o

nist7
12-05-2007, 09:44 PM

Down the tubes . . .

Then I am glad that Huck is falling BEFORE he becomes the GOP nominee.

familydog
12-05-2007, 09:48 PM
There is no evidence as of yet to suggest this is hurting him and or it will hurt him. Until I see it, I don't think it will do very much...at least in the primary. It's still early since the story broke, the primaries are soon and it may not have time to soak in...especially if the media doesn't cover it much after this week.

klamath
12-05-2007, 09:49 PM
The Republicans better realize they better not run this man against Clinton or Obama. He would be slaughtered worse than the rest.

quickmike
12-05-2007, 09:50 PM

I don't give a crap about any circumstances, or reason's Huckabee let him go. The man raped and murdered a young woman because of what Mike Huckabee did. Justify it all you want, his actions caused the death of a person. Why you blindly follow a man like this is beyond me. And you should be ashamed for the crap you've put on your forum, trying to find "ways" to silence it before the MSM picks up on it. The parents of the woman who was murdered will never have thier feelings of loss silenced. You people make me sick.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I mean, these Huckster supporters have got to be the biggest kool aid drinkers Ive ever seen. They cant say what specific policies they like so much about him. Only thing I can think is that theyve got to be a bunch of "fundies" that just heard the 4 second soundbyte of him saying to the christian base "Im not coming to you, Im coming from you".

Well, if releasing a murdering rapist from prison early is where hes "coming from" I guess his supporters have some splainin' to do.

chipvogel
12-05-2007, 09:57 PM
It won't go very far....not in the primaries anyway.

Whitewater came up in the 92 primaries but nobody remembers. All that is remembered is the rebuttal "I guess I could have stayed home and baked cookies..."

People wanted to like Bill Clinton so they didn't bother to listen. Huckabee is the same type of charmer and this will be ignored just the same.

klamath
12-05-2007, 10:04 PM

Whitewater came up in the 92 primaries but nobody remembers. All that is remembered is the rebuttal "I guess I could have stayed home and baked cookies..."

People wanted to like Bill Clinton so they didn't bother to listen. Huckabee is the same type of charmer and this will be ignored just the same.

Yeaw but the Republicans were just salivating at a chance to bring up the Clinton scandals but this will kneecap that idea.

nist7

Wasn't whitewater some real estate wheelin and dealin that the Clintons had?

Freeing a convicted rapist (who later raped again, and murdered) seems to be a lot more scandalous than some "real estate" corruption.

Lois
It is so fun spreading the dirt on Huckabee :)

This just in --

Huckabee let lots more criminals off the hook

http://www.americablog.com/2007/12/huckabee-let-lots-more-criminals-off.html

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-05-2007, 10:08 PM
I fart Huckabees

shepburn
12-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Huckabee is a Liberal. There is no other way to explain his behavior. I hope our fellow Christians will wake up and see this man for who he is.

quickmike
12-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Huckabee is a Liberal. There is no other way to explain his behavior. I hope our fellow Christians will wake up and see this man for who he is.

Hes not a real Christian. He just plays one on TV.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v167/34/123/51702599/n51702599_30471872_9508.jpg

shepburn
12-05-2007, 10:19 PM
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/huckabee-on-rapist-murderer/?hp

The NY Times just ripped him a new one!

Thrice
12-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I fart Huckabees
Honestly, whenever I hear his name, I think of the scene in I Heart Huckabees where the girl says (pardon my French), "FFFFUCKABEES!"

chipvogel
12-05-2007, 10:29 PM

Freeing a convicted rapist (who later raped again, and murdered) seems to be a lot more scandalous than some "real estate" corruption.

Jerry Brown brought it up in the primaries and 2 years after Clinton was elected it was investigated. He referred to Clinton as "the prince of sleaze"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewater_(controversy)

Basically it turned into a big deal and to Clinton being under investigation for most of the time he was in office and eventually turned into the Lewinsky scandal.

GayRPFan
12-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I don't see this really affecting him......

Actually watching his video posted above, Huckabee has a serious "tell". He blinks so fast I thought for second the video was looping. He blinks every second. I looked at other interview videos on Youtube where he is being questioned and he blinks normally like everyone else. So to me, this rape issue has him really upset and he's not doing a good job of hiding it. He's sweatin under the pressure. Im sure he went home and ate a whole box of donuts after that interview!

nist7
12-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Actually watching his video posted above, Huckabee has a serious "tell". He blinks so fast I thought for second the video was looping. He blinks every second. I looked at other interview videos on Youtube where he is being questioned and he blinks normally like everyone else. So to me, this rape issue has him really upset and he's not doing a good job of hiding it. He's sweatin under the pressure. Im sure he went home and ate a whole box of donuts after that interview!

Good observation!

It's amazing how much info you can grab from subte body language. Well done.

All this mainstream media coverage has gotten to Huck. Huck is unsettled now, he's shaky.

Damn, I just can't wait until the next debates.....we know the others will rip apart Huck on this thing...

daviddee
12-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Don't know about the rape scandal specifically, but watch this speech by the Iowa campaign coordinator, I think you'll like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wo7G6j6bi4

Great video!!

daviddee
12-05-2007, 11:13 PM
A few comments.

Rudy
12-05-2007, 11:17 PM
You see my dear people, when someone climbs high faster without any genuine effort, he ought to fall down faster. That's why you should support me because I let the fire fighters to that business for me. I just take the credit.

BillyBeer
12-06-2007, 12:33 AM
The Willie Horton thing was actually first brought up by none other than one Albert Gore in a primary debate. It was Lee Atwater who ran with it and created the ad that killed the Dukakis campaign.

You can be sure that Romney will air countless negative ads against the Huckster using this issue. I think it will hurt Romney too, creating an opening for another candidate to step in and win Iowa.

chipvogel
12-06-2007, 12:59 AM

discussed this with my wife....and you have a point

She pointed out to me that she didn't pay any attention to the Clinton scandals until there was sex involved.

Rape and murder will get more attention and the plot is much easier to follow than the S&L scandal of white water.

Bigboyen
12-06-2007, 05:02 AM
It all depends on how the other campaign reacts to this. If one or several campaigns see this as the big chance to sink Huckabee they will be able to do it. I will guess Romney and Thompson is the campaigns that need to keep this case going. Rudy and McCain have not much to win on attacking Huckabee in Iowa - both hopes Romney won't win Iowa.

But I'm not sure if it will be big, since its old news and used before it usually don't have much power. And it's also a bit early - other candidates will be afraid of a backfire. And also we can get a situation where every campaign thinks it's another campaign job to do the dirty work. Then the case will die away fast.

shepburn
12-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Wow ... the poll seems to indicate that the Huckster will feel the affects of this scandal.

If he goes down ... it'll force Christians to consider Ron Paul as the only alternative to the current crop of fools. Right now Huckabee is getting the Anti- Rudy McRomenyson vote.

sharedvoice
12-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Good thread http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=48326

RonPaulFTFW
12-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Ron paul needs to hammer home his experience V huck. and his voting record.

Paul needs to bring up the hucksters claim that he didn't know anything about the Iran Report on Nuclear weapons.

The big thing is romney, ghouli and mccain picking it up and ripping him a new one.

FreeTraveler
12-06-2007, 11:56 AM
They also haven't revealed yet that he was involved in several ethics issues while he was governor. He was censured several times; I think it may have been as many as seven times.

Might be worth researching and passing on to the media, since they seem to be circling him after tearing off a foot. The ethics violation might get the sharks in a total feeding frenzy. :D

JenHarris
12-06-2007, 12:24 PM
One thing that has surprised my husband and I when we talk to people about Huckabee is their reaction to the nursing home bed tax. Nobody really talks about it specifically but when people hear about it they are horrified.

I think most people really get that most seniors are on a fixed income and adding $150 to their monthly bills is a huge deal. Of all the taxes he increased this is the one that really seems to get people riled up.

specsaregood
12-06-2007, 12:35 PM
It will be affected entirely on how FOXNEWS covers it. Seriously.
IF they cover it, he will go down.
If they dismiss it or ignore it, he will stay up.

I don't watch foxnews anymore, so I can't predict the outcome.

CurtisLow
12-06-2007, 12:39 PM
One thing that has surprised my husband and I when we talk to people about Huckabee is their reaction to the nursing home bed tax. Nobody really talks about it specifically but when people hear about it they are horrified.

I think most people really get that most seniors are on a fixed income and adding $150 to their monthly bills is a huge deal. Of all the taxes he increased this is the one that really seems to get people riled up.

that I did not know.. crazy huck!

ConstitutionGal
12-06-2007, 12:45 PM

He did the same 'blinky' thing during the Meet the Press interview. When they got to a couple of tough questions....blinky, blinky, blinky. I posted then that this was a good indication that he was lying through his teeth!

Honesly, I don't see this pardon issue hurting him as much as his pro-illegals stance is going to. I'm hoping that the media really gets their teeth into these Huckabee stories and start dragging all of them up for everyone to see.

MGreen
12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
This has to be the fastest rise and fall of a presidential candidate in our history. Within a week of being declared a potential front runner, dirt is uncovered and he's being attacked from all sides. I'd expect him to be back down in the next round of polling.

JWallace
12-06-2007, 01:04 PM
This has to be the fastest rise and fall of a presidential candidate in our history. Within a week of being declared a potential front runner, dirt is uncovered and he's being attacked from all sides. I'd expect him to be back down in the next round of polling.

Let's hope the MSM doesn't make RP the next darling (:D, as if that would happen)