PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul and Chris Christie clash on NSA spying

libertyplz
08-07-2015, 09:23 AM
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/08/rand-paul-and-chris-christie-clash-on-nsa-spying/400718/

Article from Conor Friedersdorf.

Christie seems oblivious to the basic logic of the Bill of Rights. The constraints it places on government are not suspended in the aftermath of a terrorist attack––they are, in fact, most important precisely when a polity is panicked and officials are unusually able to seize excessive power without criticism. His praise for leaders unapologetically jettisoning such constraints in the name of protecting us is more dangerous than any terrorist plot in U.S. history.

limequat
08-07-2015, 09:26 AM
bump

Great article very favorable to Rand.

libertyplz
08-07-2015, 09:29 AM
bump

Great article very favorable to Rand.

Yea, I think it's well worth a look. Conor breaks down each exchange and gives comments on it, trashes Christie for hiding behind emotion and providing no substance.

One more quote from article:

On Fox News after the debate, a couple of commentators suggested that Christie won his exchange with Paul. I cannot comment on the style preferences of a GOP voter base that presently prefers Donald Trump to all other candidates. But on substance, Paul easily bested Christie in this exchange. Granted, I already agreed with his opposition to the phone dragnet. But even apart from that, when one candidate says policy x violates part y of the Constitution and a rival responds that he saw the Twin Towers fall and has hugged lots of survivors, identifying the more rational man isn’t hard.

65fastback2+2
08-07-2015, 09:37 AM
epic article is epic

enhanced_deficit
08-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Christie undrstands that we cannot do mideast interventions and keep bill of rights intact at same time.

On a related note, Christie supports so called "gift from hell" on this?

Christie calls for 'forceful' defense of Israel, says Obama not 'decisive' (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?456039-Christie-calls-for-forceful-defense-of-Israel-says-Obama-not-decisive&p=5948995&viewfull=1#post5948995)

georgiaboy
08-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Awesome stuff.

I wish Rand would throw a "how dare you" at people like Christie for invoking the victims of 9/11 to support KGB like intrusions into the private lives of patriotic Americans.

If anything, that tragedy should remind us all of just how precious life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is, and any any any intrusion into that, be it Planned Parenthood, bulk data collection, higher taxes, etc., etc., should be opposed, et al. It should also remind us of just who the enemy is and is not - not the 3000 victims in those towers, not the firefighters, police, EMS, and families, not the endless streams of mourners who come to pay their respects to those we lost on that fateful day.

IOW, the appeal to emotion works both ways, and we don't play to it because we know it's cheap and we have right on our side. But dangit, it works.