PDA

View Full Version : How to Raise Poll Numbers in NH

Lord Xar
12-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I got this at the dailypaul.

I am irritated. Ron Paul is running the SAME friggin Radio ads. the SAME friggin tv ads (even that atrocisou first one).. in NH.. over and over and over.. WITH NOTHING NEW!!

CAMPAIGN!!!! GET WITH IT - WHY ARE YOU NOT LISTENGINT TO THE VOLUNTEERS. WE ARE ON THE GROUND. WE ARE HEARING WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING!

How to Raise Poll Numbers in NH
Posted December 4th, 2007 by Rearden

By way of introduction, my name is Keith Murphy, and I'm the owner of Murphy's Taproom in Manchester, NH. I'm a big supporter of Ron Paul, and local grassroots efforts are based out of my pub. Dr. Paul was at my place last night, and I've been lucky enough to have him as a regular customer for the past two months.

I see the campaign, as well-intentioned as they are, making some serious errors in judgment. Please consider the following advice:

1) HE NEEDS TO SPEND MORE TIME HERE. For Ron Paul to do well, i.e. come in first or second in the NH primary, he needs to practically live here and campaign every day across the state. He needs to stop into every restaurant, every barber shop, and every grocery store. That's how Buchanan won NH, and that's the only way that Ron Paul can pull it off here. Hell, he can have my spare bedroom for free if he wants it (same goes for any RP supporter here to help get him elected.)

2) HOUSE PARTIES, HOUSE PARTIES, HOUSE PARTIES. NH residents are very spoiled, and they take their historic role in picking presidents very seriously. They are accustomed to, if they are so inclined, being able to meet literally every single candidate, and I don't mean meet them at a pre-organized rally. I mean meet them at house parties organized by their supportive neighbor. Hillary Clinton is here all the time, and she has her NH supporters organizing house parties for her to stop by and meet 15-30 people at a time. That's how NH is won, more than any other single strategy. He should be here all the time (and that means not seeing Texas nor Washington DC until the primary) and spend most of his evenings traveling a well-marked route from house party to house party.

3) STOP SENDING HUGE MULTI-PAGE MAILERS I keep seeing these huge, 15-page mail pieces that must cost a fortune to print and mail. Look, most people aren't going to read through something like that. When they get a campaign piece in the mail, they're going to read the front, if you're lucky, and they just might read the back. Most of them aren't going to open it up. This is a tremendous waste of donor dollars going right into the trash. Send two-sided mailers instead.

4) CHANGE THE RADIO ADS FREQUENTLY The campaign has been cramming the airwaves with two commercials for the past three weeks or so. That has raised name rec, but it's leading to name fatigue already. When I talk to locals about Ron Paul, the response I get lately hasn't been positive because all they know is that they've been hearing the same damn commercials over and over and over, and each commercial mentions his name fifteen times. They're getting tired of it. They've all heard of him by now, but they don't know what he stands for. Record more commercials, aiming at the crucial undeclared voters, making it clear that Ron Paul will end the war before any of the Democratic candidates. Give some pithy comments on the falling dollar, on the effect on the middle class. Don't bring up the gold standard, because almost no one knows what that is anymore. Talk about health care, and how a doctor knows how to fix the system. Talk about Dr. Paul's life story. Talk about his stance on immigration. Just please change it up! People will vote against him because they're tired of hearing the same two commercials. Some have heard them so often they're actually mocking it, reciting it line for line.

5) MOST IMPORTANTLY, BE BOLD IN DRAWING DISTINCTIONS. In both radio and television ads, use bold, dramatic language to show that Ron Paul is different than every other candidate. We need an equivalent to the famous 1964 Daisy ad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkWA.... Go for 60 second ads. The current 30-second ads are too short to convey what this campaign is about. Look, we're running out of time here, and the campaign isn't doing enough to draw over the undeclared voters we need to win this primary - because I have to say that the neocons in the Republican Party aren't going to vote for Dr. Paul in significant numbers. Be brash. Be loud. Take risks. Stake out Dr. Paul's positions and let no one confuse him with the other Republicans. Current polls say about 70% of NH's undeclareds are leaning towards voting in the D primary due to their disgust with the war, and we've got to convince them to ask for an R ballot. Run an ad with film of all the Democratic candidates saying they'll keep troops in Iraq for years, and then have Ron Paul promise to begin troop removal within 60 days of taking office. Run an ad making it clear that the current R candidates are just like the D candidates, and that Ron Paul is truly different. He is the sole choice for change in America, the very definition of anti-establishment. Start making that case, because you aren't making it now, and we're running out of time. Think outside the box.

These comments are meant constructively, and with deep concern for how the campaign is going. If the vote were today Ron Paul would come in fourth, maybe third if overall turnout is low (thereby distilling the effect of his zealous supporters), but that won't be enough. He needs to come in first or second to get any sort of bounce going into South Carolina and the mega-primary in February.

Thanks. The campaign knows where to find me if they need anything. I'm happy to help however I can.

maxmerkel
12-05-2007, 08:15 PM
superbump !
campaign really needs to listen more to us. they don't need to adopt everything, but they should at least listen.
i thought we have some "ambassadors" or at least one ? he doesn't seem to have much influence at hq :/

ItsTime
12-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Good post. Also spread this!

Support Operation Front Door (http://www.myspace.com/operationfrontdoor)!

Operation Front Door: Basically the plan is to get meetups all across the country to have a big canvassing push the week after the 16th. This will coincide with the December 16th tea party-

Picture this; You're sitting at home watching the evening news and you're seeing "Ron Paul makes another fund raising record" then 'knock-knock'- it's Ron Paul supporters at your door. That's kind of the idea. While the media is pushing the fund raising we're knocking on doors showing how strong this grassroots campaign is and offering information about Ron Paul....

austin356
12-05-2007, 08:21 PM
100 billion x super duper bump

Lord Xar
12-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I feel the same. I thought HQ had someone who lets them know these things from the forums and such ... apparently not. I almost feel the HQ has been hijacked.. it all seems so shotgun weddingish...

Midnight77
12-05-2007, 08:25 PM
HQ seems to be run by amateurs. I hate to say it, but these people probably had no idea that Ron actually stood a chance. And out of loyalty, Ron never replaced them with more professional people that can make these decisions. Ron's campaign has been primarily us, I hate to say it. That's a good pat on our backs. I just wish Ron would hire a professional.

Paulitician
12-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I almost completely agree with everything in that post. HQ needs to seriously see this. The only thing that I don't agree with is the notion that Ron Paul has to practically live there. He needs to focus on Iowa, Michigan, Nevada and South Carolina as well.

Lord Xar
12-05-2007, 08:29 PM
uhmmm,
Can that person who is suppose to get info to Ron Paul - have them see this.. please.

austin356
12-05-2007, 08:30 PM
HQ seems to be run by amateurs. I hate to say it, but these people probably had no idea that Ron actually stood a chance. And out of loyalty, Ron never replaced them with more professional people that can make these decisions. Ron's campaign has been primarily us, I hate to say it. That's a good pat on our backs. I just wish Ron would hire a professional.

This is what happens when you hire your friends.

sorry but I know some people in their lower twenties that are many times more competent than our current leadership.

rory096
12-05-2007, 08:32 PM
I totally agree! Everybody should email this to headquarters and beg them to follow it.

maxmerkel
12-05-2007, 08:32 PM
so, what are we going to do ? there is not much time left, and some decisions by hq are just sub-optimal - i remember at least 1000 good threads in this forum with simple ideas that would not cost much but help the campaign tremendously. think about appearances on shows, getting endorsements, good ads, and the simple stuff that the OP said.

DRV45N05
12-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Guys,

the crew in New Hampshire know what they're doing. They're going to be running plenty more different ads in New Hampshire. The polls these last few weeks have been all about national media. As soon as Ron had the November 5 money bomb, his poll numbers increased. Huckabee has been spending a lot of time in Iowa with his poll numbers there increasing, and the media has carried this and turned him into the hot stuff. When the media goes after him on DuMond, his poll numbers will drop everywhere, and after the Tea Party, the media will not be able to cover Ron Paul enough.

The important thing is having the organization and connecting with people on a micro level. Huckabee DOES NOT have an organization in New Hampshire, and Giuliani is mostly relying on direct mail. Romney is hoping throwing money around will do it for him, and with all of the emphasis McCain is putting on New Hampshire, he's going nowhere. Ron's campaign is going door-to-door, canvassing, doing lit drops, etc., and they're the only campaign in NH putting a major emphasis on it. They've got a vast network of volunteers.

Is it an uphill battle? For sure. Will the campaign have to change things? Yes, but they know it and will. They're doing a good job in NH. I've seen it with my own eyes from having been there.

JS4Pat
12-05-2007, 08:34 PM
If we lose - it will be because of the national campaign - NOT US.

We have the message, we have the grassroots support and we even have the money. There is NO EXCUSE for the national campaign not to spend the money to hire BIG GUN PROFESSIONALS who have run national campaigns and won!

The ineptness of this campaign is KILLING ME!!

Please tell me they have pulled that gawdawful waste of money TV commercial they rolled out last month!

Ron LOL
12-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Skimmed the post, but agree with most of what I saw.

Paulitician
12-05-2007, 08:37 PM

We have the message, we have the grassroots support and we even have the money. There is NO EXCUSE for the national campaign not to spend the money to hire BIG GUN PROFESSIONALS who have run national campaigns and won!

Please tell me they have pulled that gawdawful waste of money TV commercial they rolled out last month!
I share your sentiments.

ItsTime
12-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Are you supporting Operation Front Door?

Support Operation Front Door (http://www.myspace.com/operationfrontdoor)!

Operation Front Door: Basically the plan is to get meetups all across the country to have a big canvassing push the week after the 16th. This will coincide with the December 16th tea party-

Picture this; You're sitting at home watching the evening news and you're seeing "Ron Paul makes another fund raising record" then 'knock-knock'- it's Ron Paul supporters at your door. That's kind of the idea. While the media is pushing the fund raising we're knocking on doors showing how strong this grassroots campaign is and offering information about Ron Paul....

megasooner
12-05-2007, 08:39 PM

QFT.

Scott Wilson
12-05-2007, 08:40 PM
bump

austin356
12-05-2007, 08:44 PM
I have never once wasted the campaign's time by contacting them with suggestions but sent them this page.

ronpaulyourmom
12-05-2007, 08:46 PM
I recall reading somewhere that they have 10 different radio ads... not true?

rory096
12-05-2007, 08:49 PM
I have never once wasted the campaign's time by contacting them with suggestions but sent them this page.
I did the same, and hopefully everyone else does too, and hopefully they listen.

McLane2007
12-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I tried to email these suggestions to the campaign but no one has their email posted and the contact form only allows 1500 characters.

rory096
12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
They've been posting them all on Youtube, which only has 4 (which all suck).

rory096
12-05-2007, 08:52 PM
I tried to email these suggestions to the campaign but no one has their email posted and the contact form only allows 1500 characters.
I just sent them the link to http://www.dailypaul.com/node/10828 , I didn't copy and paste the whole thing.

ItsTime
12-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Do you know how I can contact Daily Paul to get Operation Front Door there?

I just sent them the link to http://www.dailypaul.com/node/10828 , I didn't copy and paste the whole thing.

robofx
12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
uhmmm,
Can that person who is suppose to get info to Ron Paul - have them see this.. please.

If the guy is truly this stupid, he deserves to lose. This is bullshit.

asmartchimp
12-05-2007, 08:57 PM

I have heard at least 6 different ones here in SC... and I don't listen to the radio that often.

The one with the concerned woman talking about the falling dollar was fantastic.

Geronimo
12-05-2007, 08:58 PM

I've heard five, and I've seen four different tv ads.

rory096
12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Do you know how I can contact Daily Paul to get Operation Front Door there?
http://dailypaul.com/contact , I guess.

dmspilot00
12-05-2007, 09:05 PM
That's how I feel. There is one word to describe the way this campaign has been run, and that's AMATEUR.

Please tell me they have pulled that gawdawful waste of money TV commercial they rolled out last month! Seriously, the campaign staff is doing such a bad job, I feel like asking for a refund. But I wouldn't say it would be the campaign's fault if we lost, because the entire establishment is so against us--everyone from the media, to the military-industrial complex, big pharma, the big banks, etc. If we DO win, it will be because of Ron Paul's message and our grassroots effort; the official campaign will deserve ZERO credit.

McLane2007
12-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Ok made it fit the contact form by pasting just what is below.

https://www.ronpaul2008.com/contact/form/

1) HE NEEDS TO SPEND MORE TIME HERE. For Ron Paul to do well, he needs to stop into every restaurant, every barber shop, and every grocery store. That's how Buchanan won NH, and that's the only way that Ron Paul can pull it off here.

2) HOUSE PARTIES, HOUSE PARTIES, HOUSE PARTIES. NH residents take their historic role in picking presidents very seriously. They are accustomed to, if they are so inclined, being able to meet literally every single candidate, and I don't mean meet them at a pre-organized rally. I mean meet them at house parties organized by their supportive neighbor. Hillary Clinton is here all the time, and she has her NH supporters organizing house parties for her to stop by and meet 15-30 people at a time. That's how NH is won, more than any other single strategy.

3) STOP SENDING HUGE MULTI-PAGE MAILERS I keep seeing these huge, 15-page mailers. This is a tremendous waste of donor dollars going right into the trash. Send two-sided mailers instead.

4) CHANGE THE RADIO ADS FREQUENTLY The campaign has been cramming the airwaves with two commercials for the past three weeks or so.

5) MOST IMPORTANTLY, BE BOLD IN DRAWING DISTINCTIONS. – According to polls the Iraq war is the most important issue in New Hampshire and immigration is the most important issue in Iowa.

ItsTime
12-05-2007, 09:08 PM
emailing the campaign is doing nothing. we need to get off our butts :)

davidhperry
12-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Seriously, the campaign staff is doing such a bad job, I feel like asking for a refund. But I wouldn't say it would be the campaign's fault if we lost, because the entire establishment is so against us--everyone from the media, to the military-industrial complex, big pharma, the big banks, etc. If we DO win, it will be because of Ron Paul's message and our grassroots effort; the official campaign will deserve ZERO credit.

I'm not saying that HQ has done everything right, but it's hard to criticize them when I don't have all the facts. For those that are frustrated, can you please list several things that you would like them to do?

McLane2007
12-05-2007, 09:11 PM
emailing the campaign is doing nothing. we need to get off our butts :)
They need to do there part too we can't do it all.

Ron Paul Fan
12-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Ron Paul has been in New Hampshire the past few days. Should he skip the Univision debate and the Iowa debate to stay in New Hampshire. Buchanan won there, but he lost the nomination. Should Ron Paul neglect Iowa, neglect Nevada, neglect South Carolina? Everyone loved those mailers when they first came out and said they looked pretty sharp. Now we've all turned against them and apparently we can see inside people's houses because we know for a fact that people aren't reading them. I do have a little beef with the frequency of ads though. In Iowa, I've heard 5 different radio ads. On tv, I used to see ads on a regular basis. Now, I don't see any. Ivers said they were getting some new ones on soon so I really hope he's right. I don't think the campaign is inept and I won't claim to know better than they do. I also won't point the finger at them and predict a loss for us as some are already doing. I just hope they up the frequency of the ads and soon! I emailed them a suggestion to do one on border security in Iowa. That would go over well as it's a big issue here and the frontrunners are very weak on this issue.

McLane2007
12-05-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm just going by what people in New Hampshire are saying, I'm in Oregon so I just have to trust the people who live there know what they are talking about.

JS4Pat
12-05-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't think the campaign is inept and I won't claim to know better than they do. I also won't point the finger at them and predict a loss for us as some are already doing.
No matter what???

No matter how much evidence piles up to the contrary???

With all due respect - that is the type of reasoning I'd expect from someone who drives around enjoying the Sean Hannity radio show with a W04 sticker on the back of their vehicle.

We have a small window of opportunity - If we identify problems that will more than likley sink us - we need to make it known!

rory096
12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Ron Paul has been in New Hampshire the past few days. Should he skip the Univision debate and the Iowa debate to stay in New Hampshire. Buchanan won there, but he lost the nomination. Should Ron Paul neglect Iowa, neglect Nevada, neglect South Carolina? Everyone loved those mailers when they first came out and said they looked pretty sharp. Now we've all turned against them and apparently we can see inside people's houses because we know for a fact that people aren't reading them. I do have a little beef with the frequency of ads though. In Iowa, I've heard 5 different radio ads. On tv, I used to see ads on a regular basis. Now, I don't see any. Ivers said they were getting some new ones on soon so I really hope he's right. I don't think the campaign is inept and I won't claim to know better than they do. I also won't point the finger at them and predict a loss for us as some are already doing. I just hope they up the frequency of the ads and soon! I emailed them a suggestion to do one on border security in Iowa. That would go over well as it's a big issue here and the frontrunners are very weak on this issue.
People who are already supporters like them because they care enough to read the whole thing. Undecided people see it as junk mail that they don't even bother to read.

Ron Paul Fan
12-05-2007, 09:28 PM
No matter what???

No matter how much evidence piles up to the contrary???

With all due respect - that is the type of reasoning I'd expect from someone who drives around enjoying the Sean Hannity radio show with a W04 sticker on the back of their vehicle.

We have a small window of opportunity - If we identify problems that will more than likley sink us - we need to make it known!

I did put in my suggestion. No, I won't claim to know better than they do because I have no experience running a campaign. I don't see how this makes me a neo-con. And no, I won't sit here and say that they're the reason we've lost when we haven't lost! There's still a month to go and we've been on the upswing. There's a lot to be positive about. It's good that people are giving suggestions to the campaign. I did the same!

Ron Paul Fan
12-05-2007, 09:29 PM
People who are already supporters like them because they care enough to read the whole thing. Undecided people see it as junk mail that they don't even bother to read.

How do you know this? Did you talk to all of the undecided people that received one?

noztnac
12-05-2007, 09:30 PM
The first TV ad should not be run. It is going to cost us votes.

rory096
12-05-2007, 09:30 PM
How do you know this? Did you talk to all of the undecided people that received one?
No, but that's how this works. People's attention spans are small. If they get a 15 page document in the mail, they will not read it.

JS4Pat
12-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I did put in my suggestion. No, I won't claim to know better than they do because I have no experience running a campaign. I don't see how this makes me a neo-con. And no, I won't sit here and say that they're the reason we've lost when we haven't lost! There's still a month to go and we've been on the upswing. There's a lot to be positive about. It's good that people are giving suggestions to the campaign. I did the same!
Sorry - definitely did not mean to imply that YOU are a neocon. That would be a pretty nasty thing to do. :)

And I am positive and I do think we can still win. I just know how important ORGANIZATION and COMMUNICATION is to our success.

Just b/c you don't have experience "running a campaign" does not mean you can't identify obvious problems with this campaign. I just don't like this blind "trust the national campaign - they know what is best" mentality.

Bossobass
12-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Remember that the Bushies sold the Iraq war with one simple tactic...repetition.

In the very short amount of time left, repetition of the ads is the smartest move. I know it's all old hat to most of us, but the ads aren't there for our education or review. They're being seen for the first time by many, many NH residents.

Call, mail, move there and hit the streets, donate for the blimp to show up, buy print ads, e-ads, billboards, etc., etc., but don't waste time trying to tell HQ what to do.

It's a slippery slope for the campaign to directly respond to any instruction from the grassroots and vice versa. We do our thing, they do theirs.

I'm just sayin'...

Bosso

mport1
12-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Why won't the campaign get with the program?

MDrollette
12-06-2007, 12:44 PM
All the points mentioned in the first post are completely valid in my opinion.... i hope the people in charge take notice and make some changes... time is running out.

freelance
12-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the Iowa chairman proceeded to the national campaign the minute the caucuses are over? The guy is sharp and a real professional! No one's gonna listen to me, so would those in the know please pass on the suggestion.