PDA

View Full Version : How does one become a delegate in MI?

castor
12-05-2007, 08:04 PM
My brother lives in Michigan and wants to become a delegate but doesn't know how. I tried looking it up but all the talk about the primary drama there is really confusing me. Can someone list the steps my brother needs to take to become a delegate in MI? Is it even worth it after what happened?

jn0117
12-08-2007, 10:51 AM
I would also like to become a Michigan delegate? Anyone know how to do this?

DSmith
12-08-2007, 09:46 PM
The delegates were elected in 2006. Call your county republican office to see if your precinct's delegate spot is open. If it's open you just sign an affidavit and it's yours.

raystone
12-08-2007, 09:56 PM
try again

DSmith
12-08-2007, 10:37 PM
try again

eh?

Peace Of Truth
12-16-2007, 12:05 AM
It is definitely worth it. We need delegates! Anyone who is willing to become a delegate please contact me summora@gmail.com. I'll walk you through the process. We can do this!!!

chadpyle
02-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm afraid it's too late for your brother to participate in the Michigan delegation this election. Delegates are elected so, your bro has some work to do; but, it's very doable. I would urge him to begin working towards that goal - the more friends of liberty who get involved, the better. Here's a couple resources I've found that detail the process for becoming a MI precinct delegate:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/V_Precinct_Delegate_Candidates_265988_7.pdf
http://lenawee912.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=rXTxq9IdvB4%3D&tabid=60&mid=391

For Liberty

enrique
02-13-2012, 05:55 PM
The delegate process is unlike the caucuses that you have been witnessing earlier in the nomination period.

Michigan is a proportional winner take all system this year. Meaning that each of the 15 congressional districts is allotted a certain number of bound delegates to the winner by plurality of that Congressional District. There will also be at-large bound delegates which will be awarded based on the state vote percentages.

The way the delegate process works is that each county will hold a convention to send delegates to the state convention. At you county you will divide up based on how your county allocates its delegates to the state convention. Ours uses county commission districts and we separate into 19 districts. Each district gets a variable number of delegates based on historical Republican vote totals, etc. The only ones who are allowed to vote in this process are precinct delegates who won their election in the primary in August 2010. However, non-precinct delegates may run for state convention delegate slots (but obviously cannot vote for themselves).

Ordinarily, there are more delegate slots available than people running and certainly you can become an alternate which may vote at the convention is the delegate is not available at the time of the vote (on whatever it may be). Clearly, precinct delegates get preference because they are more likely to be party 'regulars.'

Once you get to the state convention, we are separated by congressional districts where the delegates to the national convention are selected. Obviously, this most often includes the confluence of a number of county parties. As has been the experience at my CD, the delegates are offered as a slate by the 'establishment or party hierarchy.'

Some counties are easier to 'infiltrate' than others but basically I would encourage you to attend and watch the process unfold. Also, fill out the affidavit and run for precinct delegate. It costs nothing and you rarely have to run a campaign. You will then network with other who think along the same lines and build coalitions for the future. Our executive committee now has a few Paul supporters which wasn't the case in 2008. I doubt that we would get many of the delegates to the national convention because we don't have the votes but it is an understandably slow process.

swalman
05-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Good info - thanks for taking the time to post.