PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Depression

boneyard bill
08-02-2015, 11:18 AM
The Chinese stock market is in free fall. Commodity prices are plunging world wide. The Baltic Dry Index is at pre-2009 levels. The transportation index is also way down. We seem to be experiencing a world-wide deflation even though the world's central banks have been creating money like crazy for the past half-decade. All of this should seem very puzzling to mainstream economists who, filled with the Keynesian notion that deflation was a cause, rather than an effect, of the Great Depression have sought to avoid it all costs.

So why hasn't all that money printing worked? The answer, I believe, is in deleveraging. Deleveraging is simply the business world's term for paying off debt. The US government debt has doubled under Obama's watch, but private debt has declined even more. All that government money printing hasn't been able to stem that tide. Of course, the government doesn't actually "print" money. In a fiat money system, money is created by debt.

The problem is that the money created doesn't go into debt reduction. About half of all the dollars in existence are off-shore, so about half the new money created has gone overseas, some has been left with the Fed as excess reserves have risen to nearly two trillion dollars, but much of it has gone into financial speculation. So we've had lower than expected inflation, but we've still had some inflation which masks the real process of deleveraging which is ultimately deflationary.

Individuals in this country are not buying because they're paying down debt. Businesses aren't investing because they're also paying down debt and because consumers are not buying.

Are we in the end game? Are we reaching the point where deflation can no longer be hidden? The dollar is already at 100 on the dollar index (up from about 80 not too long ago). If private deleveraging outpaces government borrowing, it could go still higher and would certainly go higher if the Fed raises interest rates. But a higher dollar means higher import prices which would mean higher prices, not lower. Modern economists would call this "inflation," but it isn't really inflation since it isn't caused by an increase in the money supply. Price increases due to currency revaluation are actually recessionary. It is like a tax increase only the money goes overseas instead of to Washington. The rising dollar would also make US exports more expensive which would also lead to less manufacturing activity.

It is my opinion that we have never recovered from the recession of 2007. GDP numbers have been slightly positive only because government statisticians understate inflation. If the current trend in commodities and in investment continue for much longer, we could be headed into a downturn that would be even bigger than the Great Depression and which I would call, "The Greatest Depression."

Zippyjuan
08-02-2015, 11:34 AM
1) Despite recent declines, the Chinese (Shanghai) stock market is still up about 50% from a year ago. Huge gains compared to any other market. A correction has been expected.

2) Baltic Dry Index is down due to a huge number of shipping vessels constructed since 2006- not a collapse in international trade. The glut of ships drove down the costs of shipping and the index. http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2015/03/economist-explains-7

Episodes of short-term volatility are one way that the touchiness of the index to the vagaries of supply and demand manifests itself. The supply of ships is inelastic; it takes around two to three years between ordering a new vessel and its launch so the response to shifts in demand is slow and conditions can change while additions to the fleet are under construction. Even the location of ships can play a big role. If the number of cargoes on a particular route outweighs the available hold space on that route the index can soar, just as it can plummet if the opposite is true—even if worldwide the total of cargoes and ships is in balance.

The current malaise is much more a result of the overall supply of ships than a harbinger of doom for the world economy. In the run up to the financial crisis, as the world economy boomed and rates hit new heights, shipowners ordered a huge tonnage of bulk carriers. These hit the waves during the post-crisis slump that was already weighing heavily on demand for ships, which pushed charter rates lower still. Just as scrapping and a slimming of the order book was eroding the oversupply of ships, an uptick in Chinese coal imports in 2013 prompted another rash of orders. Ship owners reckoned that China’s appetite for coal would keep growing. But the country’s policy of weaning itself off dirty energy has contributed to a rapid decline in imports, leaving another glut of new vessels and rock-bottom rates for their owners.

3) Paying off debt is a good thing.

4) Most of that "money printing" is still sitting in banks and at the Federal Reserve in the form of "excess reserves".

https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/fredgraph.png?width=880&height=440&id=EXCSRESNS

boneyard bill
08-02-2015, 12:02 PM
1) Despite recent declines, the Chinese (Shanghai) stock market is still up about 50% from a year ago. Huge gains compared to any other market. A correction has been expected.

2) Baltic Dry Index is down due to a huge number of shipping vessels constructed since 2006- not a collapse in international trade. The glut of ships drove down the costs of shipping and the index. http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2015/03/economist-explains-7

3) Paying off debt is a good thing.

4) Most of that "money printing" is still sitting in banks and at the Federal Reserve in the form of "excess reserves".

https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/fredgraph.png?width=880&height=440&id=EXCSRESNS

Thank you for your report on the Baltic Dry Index. That doesn't alter the fact that commodity prices are falling all around the world.

The Chinese government has intervened massively to keep the stock market from falling, but has failed to stop the decline. Yes, it may still be high than it was, but lots and lots of investors have lost money. This is obviously a bursting of a bubble. The problem is not in the bursting of the bubble. The problem was in its creation.

I agree that paying down debt is good thing. As with a bubble, the problem was in accumulating that much debt in the first place, and that was due to entire to easy money policies promoted by the Fed and the government in general. Nonetheless, when the private sector becomes this over-extended it can take years to complete the deleveraging. That's years of deflation in less the government can manage to borrow more than the private sector pays off, and our government finances cannot really handle the debt we're accumulating now.

QE 3 alone was about a $trillion a year and it lasted for over two years and there was QE 1 and 2 before that. Excess reserves only amount to about $1.5-2 trillion. So I don't think it can be said the "most" of the QE ended up in excess reserves although quite a bit of it did.

boneyard bill
08-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Deleted. Duplicate post.

Zippyjuan
08-02-2015, 12:12 PM
At the start of the economic crisis, the Fed balance sheet was about $1 trillion. It is about $4.5 trillion today- an increase of $3.5 trillion. http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h41/Current/

Excess reserves about $2.5 trillion. https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/EXCSRESNS (they were basically zero before the crisis).

Excess Reserves of Depository Institutions

2015-06: 2,465,256 Millions of Dollars
(chart posted above in previous post)

That leaves $2.5 trillion out of $3.5 trillion in QE still in the banks or at the Federal Reserve in the form of excess reserves (71%). I'd consider that "most".

boneyard bill
08-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Amendment to post:

I have to correct a point in my original post. I said a rising dollar would mean higher prices for imports. That is incorrect. It would mean lower prices for imports. Therefore, its' effect would be deflationary but not recessionary. It is the higher prices of US exports that would be recessionary with a stronger dollar.

boneyard bill
08-02-2015, 03:27 PM
At the start of the economic crisis, the Fed balance sheet was about $1 trillion. It is about $4.5 trillion today- an increase of $3.5 trillion. http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h41/Current/

Excess reserves about $2.5 trillion. https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/EXCSRESNS (they were basically zero before the crisis).

(chart posted above in previous post)

That leaves $2.5 trillion out of $3.5 trillion in QE still in the banks or at the Federal Reserve in the form of excess reserves (71%). I'd consider that "most".

Again, I stand corrected. The last figure I had seen for excess reserves was less than $2 trillion. Nevertheless, Fed money creation has been extraordinary by historical standards. At that same time, that money creation and US Treasury borrowing hasn't offset the deleveraging that has gone on since 2007. The problem we face is the build up of that debt in the first place. Once that happens, you are left with no good options. But certainly, the Obama option of rapid expansion of the debt doesn't solve the problem and sets the stage for a financial meltdown if we don't face an economic meltdown before that.

But the point of my post is that an economic meltdown may be at our doorstep as deleveraging appears to be producing actual deflation despite the attempts of the policy makers to create inflation through excessive money creation and large deficits. Only time will tell, but the world appears to be awash in economic and financial difficulties that do not appear to have a solution that doesn't lead to a collapse somewhere.

LibForestPaul
08-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Maybe the final throws of the economic war with China. See who blinks first?