PDA

View Full Version : Did Huckabee Fail to File for Illinois Republican Primary?

Geronimo
12-05-2007, 06:16 PM
h ttp://www.ballot-access.org/2007/12/05/did-huckabee-fail-to-file-for-illinois-republican-primary/

(BTW, does anyone know of a good site to create redirected link? anonymz doesn't seem to work for me anymore)

Did Huckabee Fail to File for Illinois Republican Primary?
December 5th, 2007

On November 5, at 5 pm central time, filing closed for Republicans running in the Illinois presidential primary. Candidates needed 3,000 signatures. The Illinois State Board of Elections web site shows that the following Republicans filed: Rudy Giuliani, Alan Keyes, John McCain, James Creighton Mitchell, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Tom Tancredo, and Fred Thompson.

The web site shows that Rudy Giuliani did not file until 4:53 pm on November 5. Illinois lists candidates on primary ballots in the order of filing. Since Giuliani was far too late to be first, his campaign decided that being last would be the 2nd-most advantageous position on the ballot, and he filed late in the day so he would be last.

rory096
12-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Duncan Hunter isn't there either, but no one seems to care about him ;)

Tina
12-05-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm not really surprised. I think his support is more media hype than truth. Very interesting.

angrydragon
12-05-2007, 07:01 PM
I fail to see the need to break the links, it doesn't matter that much. Maybe online polls, but everything else, not really.

Anyhow, here...

http://linkanon.com/?r=http://www.ballot-access.org/2007/12/05/did-huckabee-fail-to-file-for-illinois-republican-primary/

ItsTime
12-05-2007, 07:01 PM
The date was today. Google search I found this:

http://www.alankeyes.com/discuss/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2007-11-28&e=34&c=1

Minuteman
12-05-2007, 07:24 PM
He had until 5:00PM today, he filed at 4:56pm

sharedvoice
12-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Huckaberry wont even be on the Ballot in most states. I don't expect him to last long after Iowa. Especially since everyone will know that he is a Rapist Sympathizer.

AlexMerced
12-05-2007, 11:32 PM
alan keyes is a very silly man..., though I enjoy listening to him talk, it's very amusing

hillertexas
12-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Does anyone know what "barring any objections" is referring to? Do we need to object to something?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-filing_06dec06,1,6476577.story?ctrack=2&cset=true

Huckabee gets last spot on ballot for GOP primary

By Rick Pearson

Tribune political reporter

December 6, 2007

Barring any objections, Illinois' Feb. 5 Republican primary ballot will feature Iowa presidential front-runner Mike Huckabee along with major rivals Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney, Ron Paul and John McCain, candidacy filings with state elections officials showed Wednesday.

Also filing for the ballot were unsuccessful 2004 Republican U.S. Senate nominee Alan Keyes, Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado and James Mitchell of Lindenhurst, though none of the three filed any candidates for delegates to the national nominating convention.

Voters in the GOP primary will cast a ballot to express their preference for a White House nominee. But those votes are irrelevant toward helping their candidate get the nomination. Instead, voters must cast a separate vote for nominating delegates who are pledged to back specific candidates.

The campaigns of Romney, McCain, Giuliani and Thompson each filed full slates of 57 delegate candidates running from the state's 19 congressional districts. Huckabee failed to file delegate candidates in two districts, while Paul failed to file a maximum number of delegate candidates in the 8th Congressional District, state elections officials said.

The campaigns of Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor, and Giuliani, the former New York mayor, also played a waiting game at the State Board of Elections in Springfield to try to get the final ballot spot by filing the latest before the 5 p.m. deadline. Huckabee got the spot, while a lottery will be held to determine the first ballot position among McCain, Paul, Romney and Thompson.

Huckabee's delegate slate includes Leslie Pinney, an Arlington Heights school board member who unsuccessfully tried to get nine books banned from District 214's reading list last year.

-----------

tamor
12-06-2007, 01:07 PM
bump

hillertexas
12-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Welcome to the forum, Tamor!
We're glad you're here. :)

tamor
12-06-2007, 01:59 PM
bump

angrydragon
12-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Alan Keyes is just using his campaign to pay his bills.

sharedvoice
12-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Alan Keyes is just using his campaign to pay his bills.

LOL so true.

tamor
12-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Hillertexas, I too have heard that Huckabee did and did not make it on the ballot in Illinois. Anything fishy we need to check out?

hillertexas
12-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Does anyone know what "barring any objections" is referring to? Do we need to object to something?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-filing_06dec06,1,6476577.story?ctrack=2&cset=true

Huckabee gets last spot on ballot for GOP primary

By Rick Pearson

Tribune political reporter

December 6, 2007

Barring any objections, Illinois' Feb. 5 Republican primary ballot will feature Iowa presidential front-runner Mike Huckabee along with major rivals Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney, Ron Paul and John McCain, candidacy filings with state elections officials showed Wednesday.

Also filing for the ballot were unsuccessful 2004 Republican U.S. Senate nominee Alan Keyes, Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado and James Mitchell of Lindenhurst, though none of the three filed any candidates for delegates to the national nominating convention.

Voters in the GOP primary will cast a ballot to express their preference for a White House nominee. But those votes are irrelevant toward helping their candidate get the nomination. Instead, voters must cast a separate vote for nominating delegates who are pledged to back specific candidates.

The campaigns of Romney, McCain, Giuliani and Thompson each filed full slates of 57 delegate candidates running from the state's 19 congressional districts. Huckabee failed to file delegate candidates in two districts, while Paul failed to file a maximum number of delegate candidates in the 8th Congressional District, state elections officials said.

The campaigns of Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor, and Giuliani, the former New York mayor, also played a waiting game at the State Board of Elections in Springfield to try to get the final ballot spot by filing the latest before the 5 p.m. deadline. Huckabee got the spot, while a lottery will be held to determine the first ballot position among McCain, Paul, Romney and Thompson.

Huckabee's delegate slate includes Leslie Pinney, an Arlington Heights school board member who unsuccessfully tried to get nine books banned from District 214's reading list last year.

-----------

Here is another on that my mom sent me:

In the St. Louis Post-Dispatch newspaper there is an article of which Republicans filed for the Illinois primary -- It lists what we know and then says - Delegates for Huckabee filed in 17 of 19 congressional districts. It also says "Barring any challenges, GOP voters will have a choice of nine candidates when they go to the polls for the earliest presidential primary in Illinois history.

I do not know what this means -- I thought we had to get all 19 districts to file?? Here's a site it gave -- www.elections.il.gov

It's starting to look like there is definitely something worth questioning here.
What is going on in Illinois????

tamor
12-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Wonder if this is just a general phrase used - what is the process? Is there a timeframe that candidates can challenge results?