PDA

View Full Version : Widow of Slain Police Officer Thinks Sending Fewer People to Jail Could Have Saved Her Husband

timosman
07-25-2015, 08:43 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2015/07/23/bipartisan-fair-justice-summit

http://cloudfront-media.reason.com/mc/2015_07/paul.jpg

Yesterday's Fair Justice summit in Washington, D.C., featured a bipartisan, high-profile roster of lawmakers and criminal justice reform advocates, including Sens. Rand Paul (R-Ken.) and Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont), Deputy U.S. Attorney General Sally Yates, and activist/pundit Van Jones. But it was a woman named Dionne Wilson, speaking about the death of her police officer husband, who seemed to steal the show.

Wilson, now a program associate at Californians for Safety and Justice, was married to Dan Niemi, a San Leandro police officer who was shot and killed while on duty in 2005. Wilson says that at the time, she was a conservative who believed in how the U.S. criminal justice system worked. But although her husband's killer was caught and convicted—he's now awaiting the death sentence (a fact which Wilson says brings her no joy now, though she pushed for it during his sentencing)—coming to terms with Niemi's death eventually changed Wilson's perspective. "I was really wrong about how our system works," she told the crowd yesterday.

The then-23-year-old who shot her husband, Irving Ramirez, had been in and out of incarceration since he was young, mostly for drug charges such as meth possession. When Niemi showed up about a noise complaint, Ramirez was on probation—and carrying two handguns and some drugs; he shot her husband because he didn't want to go back to jail.

At first wondering why he was ever let out in the first place, Wilson now wonders why he had to go in. "I can't help but think how my life would be different, and my children's lives would be different... had we passed Proposition 47 years before," she said, referring to the California ballot measure passed in November 2014 that reduced most "nonserious and nonviolent property and drug crimes" from felonies to misdemeanors.

"I don't think that anyone can tell me that had we invested in people over prisons, my husband wouldn't be here today."

Rather than talk about prisoner reentry—how to help those who've spent time in jail or prison reacclimate to the world outside—Wilson said she wants to talk about "no entry," i.e., "that people never enter the system, that we stop feeding this system of mass incarceration. Stop punishing people for self-medicating trauma with drugs and alcohol, stop punishing people for mental illness." Theses policies don't work, Wilson concluded. "The promise of public safety has not helped."

Other speakers at the summit—which was organized by the Center for American Progress, Koch Industries, and American Civil Liberties Union-backed Coalition for Public Safety—came to similar conclusions, albeit based on less personal circumstances. "We're spending more, getting less, and destroying communities in the process," said Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wisc.).

"Crime and incarceration rates can fall together," said Sen. Leahy in a tirade against mandatory minimum sentencing requirements. "I consider ending mandatory minimums ... a moral issue," the senator said yesterday. (Though, like Paul, Leahy voted for new mandatory minimums for web publishers as part of the recent human trafficking bill.) "We have to do better. ... Mandatory minimums are a problem Congress created and only Congress can fix."

Leahy complained that, "for three decades, Congress turned to mandatory minimum sentences to address every public safety concern." It hasn't helped. "We lost the war on drugs... let's admit it," said Leahy, who is ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Last year, the committee seemed poised to come together on the Smarter Sentencing Act, which would have cut mandatory minimums in half for some drug crimes and made the reduced crack penalties passed in 2010 retroactive. But "it was blocked by a handful of senators because they were afraid they wouldn't be seen as tough on crime."

Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.) also complained about the tough-on-crime imperative and spineless lawmakers. We've passed about one new criminal law per week for the past 30 years, many of which lack a mens rea requirement, said Scott. "No good politician has ever voted against a crime bill named after somebody," though these generally contain the worst sort of reactionary policies.

So have we really reached a criminal justice reform tipping point? Sen. Paul thinks the House "is more open than the Senate" to criminal justice reform efforts, but does see some areas where reform is realistic right now. These include passing a civil asset forfeiture reform measure and legislation to start testing the effect of police officers wearing body cameras.

Christopher A. Brown
07-25-2015, 10:02 PM
I found the organization Dionne Wilson works with and emailed them about mental health care that can reduce crime etc.

This is their LA office if you care to back this effort up.

SurvivorLA@safeandjust.org

Hello, I am an activist with a fairly proven therapy with a vague history for mental disorders, criminal behaviors, drug and alcohol recovery etc.

Sixteen years of trying to see this therapy used has met with constant injustice. The system
prefers prisons and violent crime.

You probably know this, but do not know how effective a therapy can be that gets to the core issues immediately.

If there is interest in reforming the justice system through depriving it of criminals to process, contact me.

Chris

Dionne Wilson is listed on their page, but it's not clear which office she works out of. Probably the Bay Area.

http://www.safeandjust.org/survivors

If a flanking action were done to her about my email to the LA office, she might contact them wherein they might be more likely to contact me.

RJB
07-25-2015, 10:18 PM
Hello, I am an activist with a fairly proven therapy with a vague history for mental disorders, criminal behaviors, drug and alcohol...

I believe it.

Christopher A. Brown
07-25-2015, 10:36 PM
I believe it.

My phone email compositions always suck. Can't see enough of the message to proof it right.

The important thing is the email is out. If they are serious, they will read it correctly.

Here is the "vague history" of defacto approval for this therapy. It works! There have been some informal trials since then.

http://algoxy.com/law/nojustice3/cv06_comp/cv06_comp.exhib/confirmsbcomh.jpg

How about doing something worth while and compose a good email on your computer and sent it to the Bay Area office ATTN: Dionne Wilson.

timosman
07-25-2015, 10:56 PM
Laughing gas hypnosis ? No, thank you. You made the first entry on my ignore list.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

RJB
07-26-2015, 07:18 AM
How about doing something worth while and compose a good email on your computer and sent it to the Bay Area office ATTN: Dionne Wilson.

Awesome suggestion! You inspired me to act. I just sent a letter to Dionne instructing her that you do indeed have such a vague history. Thank you!!! I feel so much better for making a difference!

Nitrous oxide therapy? I may have been a patient of yours. Did you ever work in the Pacific Northwest back in the 1990s? Were you that dude who sold me that huge balloon of nitrous oxide in the parking lot after the Phish concert? Small world...

Christopher A. Brown
07-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Laughing gas hypnosis ? No, thank you. You made the first entry on my ignore list.
You would deny that that influencing the 86% of our mind which controls us is where mental disorders dominate?

Very likely you are not using the 14% cognitive portion left over. In addition ignoring that the letter "carries forward" the proposal. PhDs do not carry forward what they do not approve.

This treatment is far less disruptive than current drug therapies which are proven to be ineffective. They also create dependence on drugs. A number of homicides and suivides are attributed to Prozac etc. When over use or getting off of the substance.

I've researched the efficacy of drug therapies and they only work perhaps 30% of the time at best.

The deprivations of justice as I've tried to get this therapy utilized, after the compassionate, competent PhD wrote the letter, indicates the system has an ulterior motive. Most likely it is preventing its secrecy and illicit control over certain individuals from being exposed. Not to mention keeping prisons full and maintaining a good excuse to have more and more law enforcement who increasingly violate rights.

Christopher A. Brown
07-26-2015, 08:52 AM
Awesome suggestion! You inspired me to act. I just sent a letter to Dionne instructing her that you do indeed have such a history. Thank you!!! I feel so much better for making a difference!

Nitrous oxide therapy? I may have been a patient of yours. Did you ever work in the Pacific Northwest back in the 1990s? Were you that dude who sold me that huge balloon of nitrous oxide in the parking lot after the Phish concert? Small world...

The NWO loves you for opposing logical and effective mental health care.

RJB
07-26-2015, 08:55 AM

That diagnosis goes beyond our doctor/patient relation. I thought you cared!

Henry Rogue
07-26-2015, 09:06 AM
Back to the op.

The then-23-year-old who shot her husband, Irving Ramirez, had been in and out of incarceration since he was young, mostly for drug charges such as meth possession. When Niemi showed up about a noise complaint, Ramirez was on probation—and carrying two handguns and some drugs; he shot her husband because he didn't want to go back to jail.

As the stakes get higher so goes the reaction, makes no difference if the reasoning is sound.

ghengis86
07-26-2015, 09:09 AM
You would deny that that influencing the 86% of our mind which controls us is where mental disorders dominate?

Very likely you are not using the 14% cognitive portion left over. In addition ignoring that the letter "carries forward" the proposal. PhDs do not carry forward what they do not approve.

This treatment is far less disruptive than current drug therapies which are proven to be ineffective. They also create dependence on drugs. A number of homicides and suivides are attributed to Prozac etc. When over use or getting off of the substance.

I've researched the efficacy of drug therapies and they only work perhaps 30% of the time at best.

The deprivations of justice as I've tried to get this therapy utilized, after the compassionate, competent PhD wrote the letter, indicates the system has an ulterior motive. Most likely it is preventing its secrecy and illicit control over certain individuals from being exposed. Not to mention keeping prisons full and maintaining a good excuse to have more and more law enforcement who increasingly violate rights.

Telling someone that you'll "carry this forward" is the nice way of giving that someone the brush off. It is not any sort of "approval". Lol

tod evans
07-26-2015, 09:13 AM

http://f1.bcbits.com/img/a0629024513_10.jpg

Christopher A. Brown
07-27-2015, 03:24 PM
spam

And they love you too.

Christopher A. Brown
07-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Telling someone that you'll "carry this forward" is the nice way of giving that someone the brush off. It is not any sort of "approval". Lol

Are you trying to say PhD directors of mental health departments carry requests forward they do not approve of?

Christopher A. Brown
07-27-2015, 03:26 PM
That diagnosis goes beyond our doctor/patient relation. I thought you cared!

I do, but your posting shows you support the NWO, secrecy serving tyranny.

Christopher A. Brown
07-27-2015, 03:28 PM

The PhD director and the chief medical doctors are the ones that offered to create the letter and send it to me.

Are you trying to say that those people carry requests forward that they do not approve of?

RJB
07-27-2015, 06:43 PM
I do, but your posting shows you support the NWO, secrecy serving tyranny.

You're right. I need your help. Could you sell me another balloon of laughing gas. Are you still located in back of the Arena's parking lot, selling after concerts?