PDA

View Full Version : Report: Social Security disability fund to run dry next year

juleswin
07-24-2015, 03:22 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) — The 11 million Americans who receive Social Security disability face steep benefit cuts next year, the government said Wednesday, handing lawmakers a fiscal and political crisis in the middle of a presidential campaign.

The trustees who oversee Social Security and Medicare said the disability trust fund will run out of money in late 2016. That would trigger an automatic 19 percent cut in benefits, unless Congress acts.

The average monthly benefit for disabled workers and their families is $1,017. The typical beneficiary would see a reduction of $193 a month.

"Today's report shows that we must seek meaningful, in some instances even urgent, changes to ensure the program is on stable ground for future generations," said Jo Ann Jenkins, the chief executive officer of AARP.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ad37e2108fc84c4a8e091d7c5d30128e/officials-rating-health-social-security-medicare

2012 article

Social Security disability trust fund projected to run out of cash by 2016

By Brian Faler May 30, 2012

A government entitlement program is headed for insolvency in four years, and it’s not the one members of Congress are talking about most.

The Social Security disability program’s trust fund is projected to run out of cash far sooner than the better-known Social Security retirement plan or Medicare. That will trigger a 21 percent cut in benefits to 11 million Americans — people with disabilities, plus their spouses and children — many of whom rely on the program to stay out of poverty.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/social-security-disability-trust-fund-projected-to-run-out-of-cash-by-2016/2012/05/30/gJQA3AfH1U_story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQLPjTTH_YM

CPUd
07-24-2015, 05:04 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XaXBdyN.jpg

euphemia
07-24-2015, 05:09 AM
Does this mean I can stop paying in and pay into my own plan instead?

muh_roads
07-24-2015, 05:21 AM

Monsanto Bread Lines

RJB
07-24-2015, 05:44 AM
To get on disability you need good health to go through the legal ordeal and good money to hire a lawyer. I've seen so many people as healthy as me who don't work because they are "disabled."

But then I've seen some people who are truly disabled who just gave up the fight to get disability. It's a screwed up system.

phill4paul
07-24-2015, 07:11 AM
To get on disability you need good health to go through the legal ordeal and good money to hire a lawyer. I've seen so many people as healthy as me who don't work because they are "disabled."

But then I've seen some people who are truly disabled who just gave up the fight to get disability. It's a screwed up system.

And because the process is so prolonged most won't get off of it even if there condition improves. They don't want to even attempt to go back to work because once the disability is lost the process has to start over from square one if it doesn't work out or there condition deteriorates again.

JK/SEA
07-24-2015, 09:37 AM

not entirely true.

To 'get' disability requires a prudent person to get a Lawyer who specializes in disability. If you prove to the Doc you're fucked up, and flunk the exam, you pass... , the lawyer takes 6% of your lump sum, then the monthly check starts coming.

Voluntarist
07-24-2015, 10:21 AM
xxxxx

Slave Mentality
07-24-2015, 04:20 PM

Singles night in Tennessee.

Spikender
07-24-2015, 05:40 PM
How about Government workers take a pay cut and bureaucrats stop blowing our money on researching the sex habits of lemurs in the jungle to pay for SS?

Naw, can't do that.

r3volution 3.0
07-24-2015, 05:56 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) — The 11 million Americans who receive Social Security disability face steep benefit cuts next year, the government said Wednesday, handing lawmakers a fiscal and political crisis in the middle of a presidential campaign.

The trustees who oversee Social Security and Medicare said the disability trust fund will run out of money in late 2016. That would trigger an automatic 19 percent cut in benefits, unless Congress acts.

Uh huh. So, in other words, they'll just borrow/print more money to finance this crap like they do with everything else.

RonPaulIsGreat
07-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Raise taxes, I still have a little left... they are losing it.

DamianTV
07-25-2015, 12:56 AM
Aw, and I thought the economy was "just fine"?

NOT!

enhanced_deficit
07-26-2015, 10:45 AM

The average monthly benefit for disabled workers and their families is $1,017. The typical beneficiary would see a reduction of $193 a month.

"Today's report shows that we must seek meaningful, in some instances even urgent, changes to ensure the program is on stable ground for future generations," said Jo Ann Jenkins, the chief executive officer of AARP.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ad37e2108fc84c4a8e091d7c5d30128e/officials-rating-health-social-security-medicare

2012 article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQLPjTTH_YM

Yes there are some problems.

But let's look at the bright side, Iraqi arab muslims have Freedom now thanks to US tax payers generous sacrifices:

http://www.motherjones.com/files/column_1.jpg

And we have this:

http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/obama-golf-300x300.jpg

morfeeis
07-26-2015, 06:14 PM
I'd be willing to bet if they just did an audit they wouldn't need to make cuts. I know a person who receives like $1100 a month because she has anxiety, bitch everybody has anxiety now get your ass a job... depression, and other mental health issues don't count, if they can drive and aren't under the care of a a mental health professional 24/7 then they can work.

phill4paul
07-26-2015, 07:06 PM
I'd be willing to bet if they just did an audit they wouldn't need to make cuts. I know a person who receives like $1100 a month because she has anxiety, bitch everybody has anxiety now get your ass a job... depression, and other mental health issues don't count, if they can drive and aren't under the care of a a mental health professional 24/7 then they can work.

Yup.That's how much my brother gets for the same "condition." Funny, he was able to work for me as a helper. He's able to put just enough hours into massage work so as not to go over the limit and lose disability. And yet there is no conditions for being on disability. No required mental health check-ups. No medication. Nothing. Just his word and $1100 a month.

kcchiefs6465
07-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Yup.That's how much my brother gets for the same "condition." Funny, he was able to work for me as a helper. He's able to put just enough hours into massage work so as not to go over the limit and lose disability. And yet there is no conditions for being on disability. No required mental health check-ups. No medication. Nothing. Just his word and $1100 a month.
From what I've seen it is a little more difficult than that.

In general they deny people the first few times they apply, a couple check-ins to the hospital--extended stays-- and a lawyer, then they are approved (years later).

AuH20
07-26-2015, 07:12 PM
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/executive-action-allows-illegal-immigrants-to-raid-social-security/article/2561498

It's like one big joke and we are the punchline.

heavenlyboy34
07-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Srsly? I assumed it was rather hard, considering all the disability attorney ads I hear on teh radio.

emazur
07-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Srsly? I assumed it was rather hard, considering all the disability attorney ads I hear on teh radio.

Going back to an episode of This American Life which I posted a couple years back (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?408753-NPR-s-excellent-story-on-govt-disability-insurance-masking-the-real-unemplyment-rate) (which I HIGHLY recommend listening to) they interviewed a doctor who makes makes disability diagnoses based on the patients education level:

"
We talk about the pain and what it’s like," he says. "I always ask them, 'What grade did you finish?'"

What grade did you finish, of course, is not really a medical question. But Dr. Timberlake believes he needs this information in disability cases because people who have only a high school education aren't going to be able to get a sit-down job.

Dr. Timberlake is making a judgment call that if you have a particular back problem and a college degree, you're not disabled. Without the degree, you are.

oyarde
07-26-2015, 09:26 PM
They will just run a bill through to take it from the other fund .

puppetmaster
07-26-2015, 11:34 PM
I bet half these POS's are bogus claims. I know several people on disability and they could work. But they get free food free housing free phones free medical care free ....welfare...this is BS.

heavenlyboy34
07-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Going back to an episode of This American Life which I posted a couple years back (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?408753-NPR-s-excellent-story-on-govt-disability-insurance-masking-the-real-unemplyment-rate) (which I HIGHLY recommend listening to) they interviewed a doctor who makes makes disability diagnoses based on the patients education level:

"
That is a very interesting and telling program! Thanks for sharing. :) +rep Everyone should listen, IMO. It out-Stossels John Stossel.

phill4paul
07-27-2015, 06:50 AM
From what I've seen it is a little more difficult than that.

In general they deny people the first few times they apply, a couple check-ins to the hospital--extended stays-- and a lawyer, then they are approved (years later).

IIRC, he went through the V.A. Yes, it does take a while to get on but once on there is no follow-up. Don't get me wrong. Not all pistons are firing if you know what I mean. However, there is no evidence that he is unable to work, just that he is unwilling. He was able to take a massage course at a college, paid for by the V.A., without suffering social anxiety. I fail to see how that kind of human interaction is any different from actually working a job.

tod evans
07-27-2015, 06:53 AM
They don't even need paper and ink today in order to spend money they're borrowing from our kids and grandchildren, just a stroke of a key on a 'puter.......:mad:

phill4paul
07-27-2015, 07:06 AM
When I was in the Navy the Chief asked me to do an inventory to be submitted for disbursement. I came to him with a list of items that needed to be replenished and the estimated cost. He looked at it and began adding on items. Coffee? We had plenty. Why did he just add a case? Floor wax? Ditto. I asked him about it and he told me that this is the way it is done. We needed to get the disbursement back up to a certain level. He told me this was because, overtime, that amount was our threshold. If we went below it then we would not be able to get more if we needed more the next time. I'm pretty sure everything in government is the same way. Gotta spend to receive. If S.S. disability were to cut it's rolls in half then that amount of spending would be their new limit. Government workers would be cut. Can't have that happening now can we? Could you imagine the un-employment numbers if the tax ticks were off the payroll?

tod evans
07-27-2015, 08:00 AM
When I was in the Navy the Chief asked me to do an inventory to be submitted for disbursement. I came to him with a list of items that needed to be replenished and the estimated cost. He looked at it and began adding on items. Coffee? We had plenty. Why did he just add a case? Floor wax? Ditto. I asked him about it and he told me that this is the way it is done. We needed to get the disbursement back up to a certain level. He told me this was because, overtime, that amount was our threshold. If we went below it then we would not be able to get more if we needed more the next time. I'm pretty sure everything in government is the same way. Gotta spend to receive. If S.S. disability were to cut it's rolls in half then that amount of spending would be their new limit. Government workers would be cut. Can't have that happening now can we? Could you imagine the un-employment numbers if the tax ticks were off the payroll?

^^^^^^^Truth! ^^^^^^

We ordered "stuff" at the NRMC just to exceed our budget too......

AuH20
07-27-2015, 08:13 AM
I bet half these POS's are bogus claims. I know several people on disability and they could work. But they get free food free housing free phones free medical care free ....welfare...this is BS.

The increasing pattern is that those who have already consumed their unemployment stipends are transitioning over to long term SSDI. That's why this fund is nearing zero and raced past projections. It's no accident.