PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Denounces 'Campaign of Deception' Against Planned Parenthood

randomname
07-22-2015, 11:41 AM
http://mobile.nytimes.com/redirect?to-mobile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2015%2F07%2F 22%2Fopinion%2Fthe-campaign-of-deception-against-planned-parenthood.html%3Freferrer%3D

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD
JULY 22, 2015
A hidden-camera video released last week purported to show that Planned Parenthood illegally sells tissue from aborted fetuses. It shows nothing of the sort. But it is the latest in a series of unrelenting attacks on Planned Parenthood, which offers health care services to millions of people every year. The politicians howling to defund Planned Parenthood care nothing about the truth here, being perfectly willing to undermine women’s reproductive rights any way they can.

The nine-minute video clip released by the Center for Medical Progress, an outfit apparently created in 2013, invites viewers to “Hold Planned Parenthood accountable for their illegal sale of baby parts.” In it, Dr. Deborah Nucatola, Planned Parenthood’s senior director of medical services, is seen discussing the collection of fetal tissue in a lunch meeting with two people posing as potential tissue buyers. A second video, released on Tuesday, shows another Planned Parenthood staff member discussing fetal tissue.

After the first video’s release, Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky pledged to “introduce an amendment to pending Senate legislation to immediately strip every dollar of Planned Parenthood funding.” Senator Ted Cruz of Texas called for defunding and for “an investigation of Planned Parenthood’s activities regarding the sale and transfer of aborted body parts.” The House Energy and Commerce Committee is undertaking an investigation, and Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas and Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana have ordered investigations in their states.

The full video of the lunch meeting, over two hours long and released by the Center for Medical Progress after complaints by Planned Parenthood, shows something very different from what these critics claim. Clearly, the shorter version was edited to eliminate statements by Dr. Nucatola explaining that Planned Parenthood does not profit from tissue donation, which requires the clear consent of the patient. Planned Parenthood affiliates only accept money — between $30 and $100 per specimen, according to Dr. Nucatola — to cover costs associated with collecting and transporting the tissue. “This is not something with any revenue stream that affiliates are looking at,” she said. Under federal law, facilities may be reimbursed for costs associated with fetal tissue donation, like transportation and storage.

Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood.
TOM WILLIAMS / CQ ROLL CALL, VIA GETTY IMAGES
According to a letter sent by Roger Evans, a lawyer for Planned Parenthood, to the House Energy and Commerce Committee, the video is a result of a yearslong campaign of deception. The head of the Center for Medical Progress, David Daleiden, created a fake company called Biomax Procurement Services almost three years ago for the purpose of tricking Planned Parenthood employees, the letter alleges, even setting up exhibits at Planned Parenthood’s national conferences. The letter also says Biomax offered a Planned Parenthood affiliate $1,600 for a fetal liver and thymus, presumably to trap the affiliate in the act of accepting a high payment for fetal tissue. The affiliate declined.

In a statement on its website, the Center for Medical Progress says it “follows all applicable laws in the course of our investigative journalism work.”

Anti-abortion groups have long pushed to defund Planned Parenthood, even though no federal money is used to provide abortions. But that hasn’t stopped their efforts to shut down the clinics, which provide services like contraception, cancer screening and other tests.

The Center for Medical Progress — which managed to get tax-exempt status in 2013 as a biomedicine charity, according to a report by The Huffington Post — appears to have done little beyond producing the undercover video. According to its registration form with the California attorney general, it has three officers: Mr. Daleiden; Albin Rhomberg, who has participated in anti-abortion protests; and Troy Newman, the president of the anti-abortion group Operation Rescue.

In a statement last week, Cecile Richards, the president of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, said that “our donation programs — like any other high-quality health care providers — follow all laws and ethical guidelines” and that “Planned Parenthood stands behind our work to help women and families donate tissue for medical research when they wish to.”

Researchers use fetal tissue to study and develop treatments for diseases and conditions like H.I.V., hepatitis, congenital heart defects, retinal degeneration and Parkinson’s. Last year, the National Institutes of Health gave $76 million in grants for fetal tissue research. Planned Parenthood is certainly not the only collector of fetal tissue — clinics associated with universities also supply tissue for research.

The Center for Medical Progress video campaign is a dishonest attempt to make legal, voluntary and potentially lifesaving tissue donations appear nefarious and illegal. Lawmakers responding by promoting their own anti-choice agenda are rewarding deception and putting women’s health and their constitutionally protected rights at risk.

timosman
07-22-2015, 11:44 AM
he he, it was better to stay away from this :)

Ronin Truth
07-22-2015, 11:50 AM
NY TImes, are they still in business? Why?

timosman
07-22-2015, 11:59 AM
NY TImes, are they still in business? Why?

This might have something to do with it.

http://assets.bwbx.io/images/iE02VqumPZ_A/v1/1200x-1.jpg

Billionaire Carlos Slim became the largest investor in the New York Times Co. after exercising options to acquire 15.9 million shares in the newspaper company.
Slim bought the shares for almost $6.36 each, about half of Times Co.’s $12.28 closing price, Times Co. said today in a statement. That boosted his stake to 16.8 percent of the company’s Class A shares.
The world’s second-richest person gained the options after he lent the paper $250 million in January 2009 to help it get through the financial crisis. That loan was already repaid early and with interest, and the gap between the exercise price and Times Co.’s share price gives Slim an additional potential profit of about $94 million.
The larger stake, now 27.8 million shares, shows the billionaire’s confidence in the newspaper’s future -- at least from a financial perspective -- even as readers and marketers have flocked to the Internet where content is largely free and ad rates are cheaper. Since Slim’s loan, Times Co. has cleaned up its balance sheet, created a paywall for its website and introduced new digital products.
Slim planned to hold on to the expanded equity stake after exercising the warrants, rather than sell the shares for an immediate profit, a person with knowledge of the matter said last year.
Arturo Elias Ayub, a spokesman for Slim, didn’t reply to requests for comment. Abbe Serphos, a spokeswoman for Times Co., declined to comment beyond the company’s statement, which didn’t specify Slim’s plans for the larger stake.

Ronin Truth
07-22-2015, 12:04 PM
This might have something to do with it.

"Oh, well that's entirely different. Never mind." -- Emily Litella

AuH20
07-22-2015, 12:50 PM
http://dailysignal.com/2015/07/21/meet-the-41-companies-that-donate-directly-to-planned-parenthood/

juleswin
07-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Something tells me this thread is going to be a much shorter one than the very deceptive, overly edited original video about PP supposedly selling human tissue. The other thing is that with very reactionary, non deliberate response like this, he could continue to lose the middle of the road people who though Rand was a more intelligent, deliberate, non reactionary type of guy, a politician who would investigate an issue before staking a position regardless of whether it helped him with the grassroots or not.

How the hell am I going to convince my disgruntled liberal friends to take a look at him when he is willing to jump into the debate before investigating if a crime was being committed in the first place? Don't get me wrong I am all for defunding planned parenthood, but don't do it because of this non scandal reveal. I wish he had proposed this PP defundung bill before the news hit, no way I can now convince anyone that the bill wasn't proposed before of the fake scandal involving PP.

The letter also says Biomax offered a Planned Parenthood affiliate $1,600 for a fetal liver and thymus, presumably to trap the affiliate in the act of accepting a high payment for fetal tissue. The affiliate declined.

If they were doing it for profit, shouldn't they have taken the money? something just doesn't add up.

angelatc
07-22-2015, 01:20 PM
If they were doing it for profit, shouldn't they have taken the money? something just doesn't add up.

Maybe there was a better offer on the table.

It is already established that PP is indeed selling dead baby parts.

juleswin
07-22-2015, 01:35 PM
Maybe there was a better offer on the table.

That is what happens when you come to the table with a conclusion before the investigation has been carried out. You say "maybe they got a better offer". From who then? I am sure records can be obtained to show who bought the tissue at higher price.

People don't understand the type of regulation that come with research. You have people regularly inspecting your animal pen, checking up on your inventory and if its govt funded research like most research is these days, then you have people going through your budget and checking how much you paid for stuff and where you got them from. The idea that PP would be committing these crimes without even trying to tell the biotech companies to low ball the price reported is not believable.

The most rational explanation of this scandal is that PP is NOT selling human tissue. And you can play the maybe game to come up with any conclusion you want. I mean, maybe the head of the PP chapter won the lottery and didn't need the tissue money anymore. There are so many possibilities when you try to fudge reality to fit your preconceived beliefs about PP.

Anti Federalist
07-22-2015, 01:39 PM

Indeed, what more needs to be said?

Everything else is just parsing the issue.

angelatc
07-22-2015, 01:45 PM
That is what happens when you come to the table with a conclusion before the investigation has been carried out. You say "maybe they got a better offer". From who then? I am sure records can be obtained to show who bought the tissue at higher price..

You were just proposing a theory, and I was proposing a counter theory. Again, its established that PP is selling human tissue. They are not denying that.

angelatc
07-22-2015, 01:47 PM
Indeed, what more needs to be said?

Everything else is just parsing the issue.

He isn't convinced of that.
The most rational explanation of this scandal is that PP is NOT selling human tissue.

juleswin
07-22-2015, 01:56 PM
You were just proposing a theory, and I was proposing a counter theory. Again, its established that PP is selling human tissue. They are not denying that.

What I proposed is based on evidence, your counter is based on maybe xxxx happened instead of what is indeed happening. We have the PP lady saying they are not trying to make money, then proposing a low low low ball number per specimen and the icing of the cake being that they rejected $1600.

Anyway, I will wait for real evidence that shows PP selling human tissue before I join the outrage parade cos this is not it.

juleswin
07-22-2015, 02:00 PM
He isn't convinced of that.

Humane society charges you about the same amount for a free dog/cat but nobody ever accuses them of selling pets. There are costs that comes with handling and processing these kind of material and if you want it, you got to pay it for PP to deliver the package to you. Its just that simple.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-22-2015, 02:02 PM
We live in a country where parents are tricked into circumcising their sons so hospitals can sell their foreskins to companies that literally make skin cream out of baby penises.

angelatc
07-22-2015, 02:10 PM
What I proposed is based on evidence, your counter is based on maybe xxxx happened instead of what is indeed happening. We have the PP lady saying they are not trying to make money, then proposing a low low low ball number per specimen and the icing of the cake being that they rejected $1600.

Anyway, I will wait for real evidence that shows PP selling human tissue before I join the outrage parade cos this is not it.

Again - PP *is* selling tissue. They admit that. The video, edited though it may be, clearly shows a PP executive offering a product for a price. Thats selling. They aren't participating in black markets, or selling it under the table, but they are selling human tissue. And they admit that the corporation is intentionally organized to mask their activities. Those are their words.

I am not jumping on the outrage parade because they're selling dead babies. I am a capitalist. If I want to sell my kidneys, I should have the right to do so. I am indeed repulsed by the fact that they're killing babies and selling them, but it is not the selling part that bothers me.

This is why liberals disgust me. They are more, apparently repulsed by capitalism than infanticide.

angelatc
07-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Humane society charges you about the same amount for a free dog/cat but nobody ever accuses them of selling pets. There are costs that comes with handling and processing these kind of material and if you want it, you got to pay it for PP to deliver the package to you. Its just that simple.

Selling and profit are not interchangeable words. I merely said they were selling dead baby bits. I would need to look at their books to determine if they were actually profiting from it.

If that was true - they were just covering costs - why don't they know what the costs are?

And you might not want to use the Humane Society as an example. I did the books for a non-profit rescue for a few years. I know more than a little bit about costs in that field. But yes, we did sell animals. We called it an "adoption fee" but it was intended to cover the costs of the animal that were incurred while we had it. We still managed to net about $10,000 a year, after costs.

axiomata
07-22-2015, 02:27 PM
PP doesn't have to worry about the profit side of the ledger when they sell baby parts, but that's because they are funded by the government and other external sources.

Jan2017
07-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Whoever this lady is . . .

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/marygatter02x_zpsjqpxboqd.jpg (http://s372.photobucket.com/user/sunblush/media/marygatter02x_zpsjqpxboqd.jpg.html)

if she is an actor and a staged production then it is a dupe - very doubtful.

Clearly, if it is an undercover camera by a federal investigation as reported, she is negotiating for the sale of parts,
and talking about non-crushed fetus for more money - goulish and totally sick.

Modern day COMA - selling bodyparts . . .
OK start the bidding . . . Zurich what is your bid for this kidney ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fiuXORKdbI

This second trailer shows one of the bidding scenes about 1:20 mark . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OBAZRoAS64&annotation_id=pfc%3A3OBAZRoAS6 4&feature=s2lp&src_vid=_fiuXORKdbI

juleswin
07-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Selling and profit are not interchangeable words. I merely said they were selling dead baby bits. I would need to look at their books to determine if they were actually profiting from it.

If that was true - they were just covering costs - why don't they know what the costs are?

And you might not want to use the Humane Society as an example. I did the books for a non-profit rescue for a few years. I know more than a little bit about costs in that field. But yes, we did sell animals. We called it an "adoption fee" but it was intended to cover the costs of the animal that were incurred while we had it. We still managed to net about $10,000 a year, after costs.

So do you think its fair to say that they are selling human tissue the way humane society are selling puppies? Also that nobody is buying Lamborghini with whatever change that is left after this transaction (claims that I've read on the internet). But the whole thing is really confusing, reading the earlier stuff about this story, it seemed like people were moire outraged about the selling part than the abortion.

Anyway, this is all legit stuff, nothing shady to see here and if you want to defund PP, defund it because they are an abortion performing organization and not because they decided not to lose money donating human tissue.

nobody's_hero
07-22-2015, 02:37 PM
he he, it was better to stay away from this :)

He he. Let's stay away from every issue the NYT denounces.

(Might as well shut down RonPaulForums.)

nobody's_hero
07-22-2015, 02:41 PM
So do you think its fair to say that they are selling human tissue the way humane society are selling puppies? Also that nobody is buying Lamborghini with whatever change that is left after this transaction (claims that I've read on the internet). But the whole thing is really confusing, reading the earlier stuff about this story, it seemed like people were moire outraged about the selling part than the abortion.

Anyway, this is all legit stuff, nothing shady to see here and if you want to defund PP, defund it because they are an abortion performing organization and not because they decided not to lose money donating human tissue.

Humane society has never sold me a dead puppy that some veterinarian crushed the limbs of bit by bit. If that's been your experience, you got a bad deal bro.

On the other hand, cops might shoot my dog and be like, "so the fucking what?". That's more akin to what we're seeing here.

Anti Federalist
07-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Humane society has never sold me a dead puppy that some veterinarian crushed the limbs of bit by bit. If that's been your experience, you got a bad deal bro.

On the other hand, cops might shoot my dog and be like, "so the fucking what?". That's more akin to what we're seeing here.

Yes, this.

juleswin
07-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Humane society as never sold me a dead puppy that some veterinarian crushed the limbs of bit by bit. If that's been your experience, you got a bad deal bro.

Lol, ofc not but then again humane society is not in the business of dealing with dead fetus. But on the nomenclature they used to describe the process, I don't know if its actually the right one to use, one that other people in the medical field understand and don't think at all is inappropriate.

Some people who deal with dead and human suffering (people in the medical profession and military) tend to use dark humor at work. You hear these some of these people speak about death and suffering and you wonder what is wrong with them. But it can be just their way of coping with it, it doesn't mean they receive any pleasure in seeing people suffer and die.

Think about this without your emotions clouding my mind and you would see that there is nothing wrong with their actions.

Anti Federalist
07-22-2015, 02:55 PM
I am indeed repulsed by the fact that they're killing babies and selling them, but it is not the selling part that bothers me.

This is why liberals disgust me. They are more, apparently repulsed by capitalism than infanticide.

I would be just as repulsed if PP was giving away the fetal grindings.

But then, this is what medical fascism is.

This is the world it creates.

And I get accused of being an anti-science Luddite for saying so. ;)

angelatc
07-22-2015, 03:05 PM
I would be just as repulsed if PP was giving away the fetal grindings.

But then, this is what medical fascism is.

This is the world it creates.

And I get accused of being an anti-science Luddite for saying so. ;)

Satan has many forms. This isn't medicine. Doctors heal patients. This is evil.

angelatc
07-22-2015, 03:11 PM
So do you think its fair to say that they are selling human tissue the way humane society are selling puppies?

Absolutely. And I am a capitalist. I don't care what they sell. That isn't the part I object to. The killing of the baby is the sin. Capitalizing off of it isn't. Although it might be a crime....I don't care about that.

Also that nobody is buying Lamborghini with whatever change that is left after this transaction (claims that I've read on the internet). But the whole thing is really confusing, reading the earlier stuff about this story, it seemed like people were moire outraged about the selling part than the abortion.

Legit - meaning legal? Perhaps. But it isn't moral. I'll double down - women who seek to kill their offspring are mentally ill. They need help, not acceptance. Unfortunately resources are limited, so the best thing to do is pretend that it's healthy and natural to make that "choice."

And if it ends up that this is in fact one big lie but ends up getting them defunded anyway, I'll settle for the greater good. Truth is not a good weapon to depend on in war - liberals figured that out long ago.

If we can create the talking point, who freaking cares if it's true if it works?

Jan2017
07-22-2015, 03:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DQ1R4difLw

Rand: I defy those who are careless - who would disregard life, look at these tiny little miracles and say "We're not gonna protect that"

Rand: "I will be in earnest - I will not equivocate and I will not excuse - I will not retreat an inch and I will be heard"

Working Poor
07-22-2015, 03:13 PM
I am worried about Rand jumping in with both feet on this...

Anti Federalist
07-22-2015, 03:14 PM
Satan has many forms. This isn't medicine. Doctors heal patients. This is evil.

In part, with treatments made from dead baby carcasses.

(to be blunt)

This is yet another example of why I am not at all enamoured with or in love with "progress", especially progress for progress's sake.

All of this...including genetic medicine and genetic manipulation of the food supply, is all of the same mindset.

And this global technological terror we are creating for ourselves will be mankind's undoing.

You know I'm the very last person that says "there oughtta be a law"...but when it comes to sickening shit like this...well, there oughtta be a law.

Do something, before the mad scientists kill us all.

timosman
07-22-2015, 03:24 PM
He he. Let's stay away from every issue the NYT denounces.

(Might as well shut down RonPaulForums.)

I said on the other thread my concern is getting involved with the shit storm that is going to ensue. The amount of money involved is small and there is really no upside to this.

angelatc
07-22-2015, 03:28 PM
In part, with treatments made from dead baby carcasses. (to be blunt)

This is yet another example of why I am not at all enamoured with or in love with "progress", especially progress for progress's sake.

All of this...including genetic medicine and genetic manipulation of the food supply, is all of the same mindset.

And this global technological terror we are creating for ourselves will be mankind's undoing.

You know I'm the very last person that says "there oughtta be a law"...but when it comes to sickening shit like this...well, there oughtta be a law.

Meh, I don't have an issue with selling dead humans for research. I do have an issue with killing humans.

Jan2017
07-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Absolutely. And I am a capitalist. I don't care what they sell. That isn't the part I object to. The killing of the baby is the sin. Capitalizing off of it isn't. Although it might be a crime....I don't care about that.

fwiw,
Selling a body part per se is NOT legal whether I care or not, but then, there IS compensation for plasma donations - serum IS a tissue.

USPTO has already ruled that you can not patent a body or a part of a body, at least a body part per se.

I am not.

puppetmaster
07-22-2015, 03:35 PM
he he, it was better to stay away from this :) Why, they kill babies with our tax money. Not something I can just stay away from, can you?

puppetmaster
07-22-2015, 03:40 PM
We live in a country where parents are tricked into circumcising their sons so hospitals can sell their foreskins to companies that literally make skin cream out of baby penises. what? Really

nobody's_hero
07-22-2015, 03:40 PM
Lol, ofc not but then again humane society is not in the business of dealing with dead fetus. But on the nomenclature they used to describe the process, I don't know if its actually the right one to use, one that other people in the medical field understand and don't think at all is inappropriate.

Some people who deal with dead and human suffering (people in the medical profession and military) tend to use dark humor at work. You hear these some of these people speak about death and suffering and you wonder what is wrong with them. But it can be just their way of coping with it, it doesn't mean they receive any pleasure in seeing people suffer and die.

Think about this without your emotions clouding my mind and you would see that there is nothing wrong with their actions.

I work in an ICU as a nurse. When on occasion I use dark humor to cope—and you're right it is a coping mechanism—it's usually over a matter I can't do anything about. 'This patient is gonna die even though we've done everything we can to help them.' I used dark humor when I was on the fire department before that, as well, but I wasn't out there causing the vehicle accidents. What makes the abortion practice subhuman, is that these people have an active hand in destruction. If that's your role, you can't just gloss over it with dark humor without coming across as somewhat of a sadist.

juleswin
07-22-2015, 04:08 PM
I work in an ICU as a nurse. When on occasion I use dark humor to cope—and you're right it is a coping mechanism—it's usually over a matter I can't do anything about. 'This patient is gonna die even though we've done everything we can to help them.' I used dark humor when I was on the fire department before that, as well, but I wasn't out there causing the vehicle accidents. What makes the abortion practice subhuman, is that these people have an active hand in destruction. If that's your role, you can't just gloss over it with dark humor without coming across as somewhat of a sadist.

Nice, I am in my last year of Nursing school and my goal is to work as an ICU nurse. I envy you :) But yea, the whole operation is very heartbreaking, I mean you have a mother who have come to the conclusion that they no longer want the child they are carrying to live. Its not an easy decision to make but these people have made it and the abortion team are just there to facilitate it.

There are parts of life that is just very depressing, abortion is one of them. If I can wish something on the world, world peace would be number 1, a freer society number 2 and maybe at number 5 would be nobody would be having unwanted pregnancies.

kcchiefs6465
07-22-2015, 08:58 PM
In part, with treatments made from dead baby carcasses.

(to be blunt)

Their "something" you probably wouldn't like to see.

It isn't going to be defunding PP or throwing these people in a penitentiary.

kcchiefs6465
07-22-2015, 09:04 PM
Nice, I am in my last year of Nursing school and my goal is to work as an ICU nurse. I envy you :) But yea, the whole operation is very heartbreaking, I mean you have a mother who have come to the conclusion that they no longer want the child they are carrying to live. Its not an easy decision to make but these people have made it and the abortion team are just there to facilitate it.

There are parts of life that is just very depressing, abortion is one of them. If I can wish something on the world, world peace would be number 1, a freer society number 2 and maybe at number 5 would be nobody would be having unwanted pregnancies.
In the same way a hitman may be said to facilitate the murdering of someone.

But hell, it's just semantics, right?

timosman
07-22-2015, 09:33 PM
In the same way a hitman may be said to facilitate the murdering of someone.

But hell, it's just semantics, right?

Let's bring Dr. Kevorkian into this thread.

puppetmaster
07-22-2015, 09:46 PM

There are parts of life that is just very depressing, abortion is one of them. If I can wish something on the world, world peace would be number 1, a freer society number 2 and maybe at number 5 would be nobody would be having unwanted pregnancies. world peace would include not killing innocent babies I would hope. People who kill human life do not support world peace.

Sola_Fide
07-22-2015, 09:52 PM

Why? Defunding Planned Parenthood is one of the most libertarian things Rand has suggested in a while.

Weston White
07-23-2015, 01:08 AM

Is "profit" one of the elements required for a statutory violation? It seems that interstate commerce is required, but does the former consideration really matter in-law?