PDA

View Full Version : State cracks down on senior citizen games

Suzanimal
07-21-2015, 03:09 AM
Old people gambling for canned peaches and toilet paper....SMGDH

MUNCIE – Two or three days a week, 88-year-old Berylda Wilson and her friends get together to play euchre at the Delaware County Senior Citizens Center.

But because they pay a couple of bucks to play and take home prizes like packs of cookies or toilet paper, they're breaking Indiana law — and state officials have ordered an end to the illegal gambling.

The Indiana Gaming Commission last week contacted officials of the senior center — where the most common regular activities, besides euchre, include bridge and line dancing — and told them the pay-for-play must stop.

Senior center officials scrambled to comply and notified the 50 or so euchre players that the days of "Vegas on West Eighth Street" were over.

Center officials are worried about the potential loss of rent from the euchre players, but players like Wilson and her daughter are left shaking their heads.

"It gives them some excitement," said Wilson's daughter, Karla Lance. In other words, Wilson and her fellow euchre players aren't in it for the canned peaches that have been offered as prizes.

The law is the law, and Indiana law says card games like poker and euchre are considered gambling if played for money.

Delaware County Prosecutor Jeffrey Arnold said he was unaware of the gaming commission's contact with the senior center.

"I haven't heard a thing about this," Arnold told The Star Press. "I hope there is a way they can get a proper license to continue to play.:rolleyes:

"I don't consider that to be real egregious," Arnold added when asked about the euchre games.

'Not a great deal of money'

For a couple of decades now, local senior citizens have been playing bingo and cards at the center, the former Forest Park school.

Senior center director Judy Elton said the center's former classrooms and other spaces are home to a church, a baker who uses their kitchen equipment, yoga and line dancing devotees as well as the senior card players.

For a facility with only two full-time employees, the center sees a few thousand people come through its doors in a month.

Not all of those users are of the same law-breaking bent as the euchre players.

The way euchre works at the senior center is simple, Elton said. Players pay $2.50 to play. About a dollar of that amount goes to the center. "The euchre club gives us a part of what they take in," Elton said. That's usually about $30 for a three-hour session.

"We're not talking about a great deal of money here," Elton added.

Elton said she was surprised to be contacted by the Indiana Gaming Commission on July 13.

"Someone called (the state) and was concerned," Elton said. "If you pay to play and win prizes, that's considered gambling. We thought that only applied to cash prizes. These people only win a pack of toilet paper or a can of peaches."

Sara Tait, executive director of the gaming commission, initially wouldn't answer questions from The Star Press about the nature of the state's action against the seniors group. "Our general practice is not to provide substantive comments for stories."

When asked if the state did advise the senior center that the euchre games as they had been played had to end, Tait would only say, "The gaming commission received a complaint and contacted the center to educate them on the law."

http://www.thestarpress.com/story/news/local/2015/07/19/muncie-gambling-senior-citizens-euchre-state-gaming-crackdown/30385183/

Origanalist
07-21-2015, 04:02 AM
Those senior citizens, scofflaws one and all. Who do they think they are anyway?

DevilsAdvocate
07-21-2015, 05:04 AM
The law is the law, even if it's stupid

Ronin Truth
07-21-2015, 05:22 AM
Gee, I really hope my forum posting game played for fun, laughs and Rep will still be OK. ;) :D

(It often just takes so very little to entertain and amuse some folks.)

timosman
07-21-2015, 06:17 AM
The law is the law, even if it's stupid

I am sure everybody here drives the speed limit or less. Always.

tod evans
07-21-2015, 06:20 AM
Lock 'em up!!!!!!!

http://libn.com/youngisland/files/2013/10/Bingo2.jpg

Ronin Truth
07-21-2015, 06:26 AM
Lock 'em up!!!!!!!

Hey, well at least she's not out raising hell, making trouble and carousing around in some honky tonk. :D

tod evans
07-21-2015, 06:29 AM
Hey, well at least she's not out making trouble and carousing around in some honky tonk. :D

I'll bet she's on drugz.....:eek:

Suzanimal
07-21-2015, 06:36 AM
I feel safer with her off the street!!!

Lock 'em up!!!!!!!

Seriously, Mama Animal plays Bingo (they also have slot machines) and goes dancing on Saturday night with the seniors and she thinks it was an old lady who never won that turned them in. She looked me square in the eyes and said, "Those old bitches are cut throat!":eek:

timosman
07-21-2015, 06:45 AM
She looked me square in the eyes and said, "Those old bitches are cut throat!":eek:

For a moment I thought she was talking about our elected officials. :D

phill4paul
07-21-2015, 06:48 AM
I am sure everybody here drives the speed limit or less. Always.

Just not too far less. That would be against the law.

Ronin Truth
07-21-2015, 06:55 AM
“If the law supposes that,” said Mr. Bumble,… “the law is a ass—a idiot. If that’s the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experience—by experience.” -- CHARLES DICKENS, Oliver Twist, chapter 51, p. 489

Suzanimal
07-21-2015, 06:57 AM
I'll bet she's on drugz.....:eek:

Mama A sneaks hooch in the bingo hall.