PDA

View Full Version : CNN explains Rand's "absence"

eleganz
07-21-2015, 12:37 AM
People are panicking because other candidates are spiking and Rand isn't. I really don't think its such a huge deal, don't forget what happened in 2012~ Every candidate had their turn at the top of the polls.

Rand Paul's doing something unusual: Blending in with the crowd

Washington (CNN)Instead of dominating national headlines this summer by picking fights with high-profile competitors or scrambling to secure the best real estate at every Republican Party cattle call, Rand Paul has been working the campaign trail quietly, taking a deliberate approach to national media and choosing his battles carefully.

While Donald Trump has sucked up much of the media's gaze, the Kentucky senator's recent efforts have not stood out like they once did.

It's not because he stopped campaigning. In fact, Paul has spent the summer traveling to California, Nevada, New Hampshire, Iowa, Colorado, Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Maryland, Kentucky and Tennessee. Over the next 10 days, he will hit the big three early voting states of New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina.

In that time, Paul has also reacted to major news events: He called for cutting off funds for Planned Parenthood and from cities that harbor undocumented immigrants. He made a renewed push to increased scrutiny on migrants from nations with hotbeds of Islamic militancy. But faced with so much competition from other candidates clamoring for air time, Paul has struggled to break out.

Paul's campaign, while conceding that he has been deliberate about what he chooses to discuss and events he attends, says the media is partially to blame.

"Y'all may be too busy covering the newest thing each week to have noticed,but we are running hard, running strong, and running all over the country," Paul strategist Doug Stafford told CNN. "It's a marathon, not a sprint."

The media, as it often can be, is indeed part of the story. National news outlets, including CNN, have poured coverage on Trump at such a rate that lesser candidates have learned they their best chance for getting air time is to attack or challenge him. But Paul has somehow avoided Trump's hot fire.

And that's all the more notable because Paul is traditionally not one to avoid a fight.

For much of the shadow primary -- before presidential candidates officially announced -- Paul was the GOP establishment's whipping boy. He was caught up in loud disputes with almost every contender, including Chris Christie, Rick Perry, Lindsey Graham, Rick Santorum, Marco Rubio and Jeb Bush, who have all tussled with him at some point.

But for much of the summer, Paul has resisted piling on. He sat out a forum for conservative voters in Iowa over the weekend that drew 10 Republican candidates. And While Paul defended Arizona Sen. John McCain on Twitter after Trump questioned his status as a war hero, he avoided mentioning Trump by name.

In the polls, Paul has remained consistently in the middle of the pack, with CNN/ORC polls putting him between 7%-11% when stacked against 15 other GOP candidates. His fundraising is in a similar place compared to other candidates: Paul's latest campaign finance report showed that he had raised $7 million from 108,000 donors -- not top-tier, but not at the bottom, either.

In February 2014, Paul announced that he was suing President Barack Obama and top national security officials over the government's electronic surveillance program made public by intelligence leaker Edward Snowden.

"Now that we're in this age of ISIS and so forth, Republicans have lost their ambivalence toward interventionism," said Dante Scala, an associate professor of political science at the University of New Hampshire, a state where Paul has focused much of his time and efforts. "It can be difficult for candidates to make news anyway during these summer months, and with Trump there, it makes matters worse. In some ways maybe it's unfair to judge him to see what happens in the fall. But that overarching problem is something he has yet to solve."

Looking ahead, Paul's campaign has said he will be more actively engage in the coming days.

And of course, the looming presidential debates will give him—and many of his fellow GOP contenders -- an equal platform to make their case.

hxxp://www.cnn.com/2015/07/20/politics/rand-paul-strategy-2016-election/

DevilsAdvocate
07-21-2015, 12:58 AM
Rand needs to attack Trump, and attack him HARD

Rede
07-21-2015, 01:26 AM

I don't think you look very presidential when you're getting in spats with Donald Trump. I think Rand is running against Hillary, the same way Romney ran against Obama, and is actively courting independent and non-traditional Republican voters to promote a narrative - Rand is the candidate who can win. Rand has been deliberately attacking the Clintons for a couple years and now seems to be staying out of the Republican fray, deliberately, with 15 other candidates in the race. His appeal to independents is one of his strengths in this race and positioning himself as the candidate who can win is playing to that.

Let the others take care of themselves, and spend millions doing it. Save for when it matters, his base should get him that far.

eleganz
07-21-2015, 01:26 AM

Disagree, Rand won't win in a Trump fight and shouldn't even engage somebody who is only temporarily at the top of the polls, he doesn't even have a personality for the type of fights Trump loves getting into.

DevilsAdvocate
07-21-2015, 01:28 AM
Disagree, Rand won't win in a Trump fight and shouldn't even engage somebody who is only temporarily at the top of the polls, he doesn't even have a personality for the type of fights Trump loves getting into.

So he's just going to hemorrhage support to Trump and not do anything about it? Trump is a walking target, the guy could be destroyed in a few sentences on the debate floor.

nikcers
07-21-2015, 01:30 AM

Yes but who is Donald Trumps king, and why does he want to defeat McCain in the primaries?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1980294624/DJT_Headshot_V2_bigger.jpg ‏@realDonaldTrump (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump)

.@SenJohnMcCain (https://twitter.com/SenJohnMcCain) should be defeated in the primaries. Graduated last in his class at Annapolis--dummy!

eleganz
07-21-2015, 01:42 AM
So he's just going to hemorrhage support to Trump and not do anything about it? Trump is a walking target, the guy could be destroyed in a few sentences on the debate floor.

Rand hasn't even lost much support to Trump, Rand's poll standings are for the most part untouched nationally, in Iowa and in NH.

Only an idiot or someone equally desperate for attention would engage Trump.

DevilsAdvocate
07-21-2015, 01:58 AM
Rand hasn't even lost much support to Trump, Rand's poll standings are for the most part untouched nationally, in Iowa and in NH.

Only an idiot or someone equally desperate for attention would engage Trump.

Well someone better engage him and take him down, we can't afford to have Trump vs. Hillary

nikcers
07-21-2015, 02:03 AM
Well someone better engage him and take him down, we can't afford to have Trump vs. Hillary

Has Trump attacked Hillary? Do you think Bill Clinton is his king and that's why he is attacking the neocons?

DevilsAdvocate
07-21-2015, 02:13 AM
Has Trump attacked Hillary? Do you think Bill Clinton is his king and that's why he is attacking the neocons?

Trump donated to Hillary's campaign last time. The guy supports gay marriage, is pro choice, is in favor of socialized medicine...etc. Not to mention he's been divorced twice and has children by three different women.

Oh, and he wants to assassinate Snowden

alucard13mm
07-21-2015, 02:33 AM

I agree with you.

Why would you want to attack a fellow candidate that says something that is popular with a huge, huge portion of the voting base? if Trump is polling high because of his harsh immigration stance.. makes no sense to attack his immigration stance (despite if its wrong or not). Better to stay low with your own immigration stance and wait for Trump to implode and then bring in your own immigration stance to the table.

Jackie Moon
07-21-2015, 02:49 AM
"It's a marathon, not a sprint."

In the polls, Paul has remained consistently in the middle of the pack, with CNN/ORC polls putting him between 7%-11% when stacked against 15 other GOP candidates. His fundraising is in a similar place compared to other candidates: Paul's latest campaign finance report showed that he had raised $7 million from 108,000 donors -- not top-tier, but not at the bottom, either.

"It can be difficult for candidates to make news anyway during these summer months, and with Trump there, it makes matters worse.

Really good article, I agree with the points it makes.

It would be tough right now for Rand to try and out "Trump" Trump by saying things to get media attention.

As a poker player I compare the race to a long poker tournament. Being the chip leader at the beginning is not a good indicator of how you will finish at the end. Often a player that surges to a large chip lead early does so by taking big gambles, playing reckless and aggressively.

But eventually that style catches up with them and they make mistakes that cause them to lose everything.

In these long tournaments you don't need to worry about where you are in the standings at the beginning. You just need to play one hand at a time, make good decisions, don't make mistakes and give yourself a chance to be there at the end.

That's all Rand needs to do. Keep doing ground work, picking his spots and avoiding mistakes. Being consistently where he's been is just fine for now. The race is long. We haven't even had the first debate yet. He just needs to stay alive and within striking distance for when it really counts.

I agree that Trump will easily be destroyed, but I don't think Rand has to do it. I actually think Trump will do it to himself.

nikcers
07-21-2015, 02:51 AM
Trump donated to Hillary's campaign last time. The guy supports gay marriage, is pro choice, is in favor of socialized medicine...etc. Not to mention he's been divorced twice and has children by three different women.

Oh, and he wants to assassinate Snowden

Enemy of my enemy something something... I say retaliate only- He has put a target on his back and so far I don't think he's said a bad thing about Rand, Read these comments and tell me who you think said it. He is destroying the neocons-says he wants to make McCain lose the primary.

"She was the worst Secretary of State in the history of our nation. Why would she be a good president? I think she would be a terrible president."
"Despite anything you may hear to the contrary, I do not think she is electable."

DevilsAdvocate
07-21-2015, 03:42 AM
Enemy of my enemy something something... I say retaliate only- He has put a target on his back and so far I don't think he's said a bad thing about Rand, Read these comments and tell me who you think said it. He is destroying the neocons-says he wants to make McCain lose the primary.

"She was the worst Secretary of State in the history of our nation. Why would she be a good president? I think she would be a terrible president."
"Despite anything you may hear to the contrary, I do not think she is electable."

Just think about it, wasn't it Ron's exchange with Giuliani that catapulted him in the polls and supercharged the Liberty movement? In a presidential race, the answer isn't to sit around passively, it's to show force and attack! People gravitate towards strength, Trump has proved that hands down!

TheTyke
07-21-2015, 04:46 AM
If it's anything like 08/12, there will be a different candidate propped up and leading the polls every month. Remember Bachmann, Gingrich, Cain, Santorum, and even undeclared Trump? Yes, all of them led national polls at one point in in 2012... none of them even got close to 10 delegates. Don't sweat the candidate of the month.

Rand knows, they come and go. Focus on building up Rand's campaign and pointing out he is the only true challenge to the establishment, imho.

Jan2017
07-21-2015, 05:34 AM
The Rand challenges to the GOP brand/establishment have come alot on the floor of the United States Senate instead of just the media circus.

There is no need to come at Trump hard right now, especially with Senate business representing the constituents of the State of Kentucky,
just to get into the spotlight.

Dianne
07-21-2015, 05:37 AM

I don't agree at all. Rand doesn't have a dog in that fight and he is doing a good job staying out of it and working on Congressional matters. In-fact, I thought Rick Perry looked foolish attacking Trump. The only people attacking Trump are those candidates in the lower tier who are struggling to get some type of news media coverage.

If anything, Rand should work hard on the initiative to enforce our current immigration laws and seek news media coverage in that arena.

timosman
07-21-2015, 06:38 AM
If it's anything like 08/12

A Big IF

Wilf
07-21-2015, 06:54 AM

No, he should target Walker and Kasich, who are both faux-conservative candidates that the establishment is going try to prop up as real "conservative". If he can expose them successfully than it will make it eaiser for him to play the anti-establishment canidate role. Just allow Trump to only attack Bush and Rubio, so that their credibility(to voters) will be damaged when it comes to the primaries.

65fastback2+2
07-21-2015, 06:56 AM

this.

however, he has fought back at trump...he publicly thanked mccain for his service.

no need to get into a word fight with trump...you cant "trump" the level of stupidity trump is willing to spew. So, best to avoid it.

squirl22
07-21-2015, 07:32 AM

That's absurd. First, he doesn't attack other Republicans. I think he is smart to stay out of all of these media created "crises". He doesn't need it. I trust Rand completely. He has more political experience and campaign experience than any one here, including me. He also must be driving Ted Cruz crazy, because Cruz's campaign is based on doing what Rand does sooner or in a more media grabbing way. Wow, Cruz must not have any idea what he should be doing!

Peace&Freedom
07-21-2015, 09:36 AM
I don't agree at all. Rand doesn't have a dog in that fight and he is doing a good job staying out of it and working on Congressional matters. In-fact, I thought Rick Perry looked foolish attacking Trump. The only people attacking Trump are those candidates in the lower tier who are struggling to get some type of news media coverage.

If anything, Rand should work hard on the initiative to enforce our current immigration laws and seek news media coverage in that arena.

Correct, Trump is a bad guy, a one-man "Suicide Squad" who is beating up the other bad guys. There's no need for the good guy to get involved, so Rand should just concentrate on building his campaign for the longer battle of the next six months.

Warlord
07-21-2015, 10:51 AM
A very fair review from CNN:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/20/politics/rand-paul-strategy-2016-election/

CPUd
07-21-2015, 10:54 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?478703-CNN-explains-Rand-s-quot-absence-quot

Brian4Liberty
07-21-2015, 11:27 AM
And of course, the looming presidential debates will give him—and many of his fellow GOP contenders -- an equal platform to make their case.

"Equal" platform? LOL! Who do they thing they are fooling?

Brian4Liberty
07-21-2015, 11:30 AM

Rand and Trump overlap with voters who are frustrated with the GOP establishment. No need for Rand to attack Trump at all.

timosman
07-21-2015, 11:51 AM

More effective would be attacking Hillary. I was saying it for a while. Unless Randal has some secret agreement with Donald, he should be pounding Hillary to the ground.

angelatc
07-21-2015, 11:55 AM
I also think that Rand is wise to stay out of it. The liberal media enjoys a GOP sideshow, and doesn't hesitate to use the Trump to boost their own web hits. But electorally, there's nothing to be gained by promoting party in-fighting.

dude58677
07-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Rand Should say that it is true that people want a bold honest leader and the interesting thing is that my voting record is consistent with the Constitution and I am leading Hillary in the polls.

Warlord
07-21-2015, 12:03 PM
DO not attack Donald Trump. He will eventually implode. Just leave him alone.

Dianne
07-21-2015, 12:10 PM
I also think that Rand is wise to stay out of it. The liberal media enjoys a GOP sideshow, and doesn't hesitate to use the Trump to boost their own web hits. But electorally, there's nothing to be gained by promoting party in-fighting.

I was browsing demo underground yesterday, and they are loving the Trump stuff. They want it to keep going forever, since it has taken Hillary attacks off the front page the past few days. Maybe Donald is running interference for her.

supermario21
07-21-2015, 12:43 PM
I believe the Giuliani moment was Rudy attacking Ron and he just defended himself. Rand was going to be the punching bag of most of these guys until Trump. Heck, Lindsey Graham pretty much ran just to attack Rand Paul. But guess what, all the "moderates" and establishment folks are going to try and rough up Trump at their own peril.

Warlord
07-21-2015, 12:45 PM
I believe the Giuliani moment was Rudy attacking Ron and he just defended himself. Rand was going to be the punching bag of most of these guys until Trump. Heck, Lindsey Graham pretty much ran just to attack Rand Paul. But guess what, all the "moderates" and establishment folks are going to try and rough up Trump at their own peril.

Exactly! Rand shouldnt fall into the trap of attacking Trump.

FreedomProsperityPeace
07-21-2015, 02:14 PM
The main reason to get national attention now is because it's a cheap and easy way to affect IA, NH, and SC. Since Rand is largely not getting that attention, he has to be on the ground in those early states.

Joining in on the food fight with Trump would only make him look bad, and the Pauls already have a problem with being cast as fringe crazies. When Trump self-destructs, his supporters will be looking around for the next anti-establishment conservative to back. Rand needs to be positioned well to capitalize on this. That means staying up in the polls and making progress in those early states.

anaconda
07-22-2015, 01:07 AM
this.

however, he has fought back at trump...he publicly thanked mccain for his service.

no need to get into a word fight with trump...you cant "trump" the level of stupidity trump is willing to spew. So, best to avoid it.

Why is it one can't trump stupidity? Please elaborate. Shouldn't stupidity by the most vulnerable of positions?

anaconda
07-22-2015, 01:09 AM
Maybe Donald is running interference for her.

Ding Ding! Thread winner.

anaconda
07-22-2015, 01:12 AM
Why can't Rand simply, and calmly, posit the question of "Why did Donald Trump donate to Hillary Clinton?" And leave it at that.

timosman
07-22-2015, 01:21 AM
Why can't Rand simply, and calmly, posit the question of "Why did Donald Trump donate to Hillary Clinton?" And leave it at that.

Donald already answered that question - I bribe everybody. They all come to me and ask for money.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKfYCRRWoAAwpzT.jpg

rich34
07-22-2015, 06:12 AM
DO not attack Donald Trump. He will eventually implode. Just leave him alone.

Exactly, I totally agree.

And besides, I look at Trump as doing Rand a favor.. With his extreme outspokenness he makes Rand look mild, and may even cause traditional republicans to look at Rand in a more positive light. At least Rand isn't the current whipping boy at the moment, that every candidate is taking a shot at. I truly think Rand will gain more respect among party faithful by the time Trump is all said and done.

65fastback2+2
07-22-2015, 07:34 AM
Why is it one can't trump stupidity? Please elaborate. Shouldn't stupidity by the most vulnerable of positions?

Never argue with an idiot. They will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

RonPaulMall
07-22-2015, 09:02 AM

Because it is a stupid argument that Trump has already addressed and it would cause Trump to attack Rand (something he has to this point generally avoided).

anaconda
07-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Because it is a stupid argument that Trump has already addressed

Are you referring to the Hannity interview in April? How is it a "stupid" argument when his explanation is that he finds it acceptable to fund whomever is in office or likely to be in office? It's practical but not principled. A candidate's principles and credibility are potentially very important images for voters.

anaconda
07-22-2015, 03:48 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKfYCRRWoAAwpzT.jpg

Fashion faux pas - the tip of a tie is supposed to terminate at the belt line. Donald's is plunging way below. Notwithstanding the nascent push back against the entire concept of wearing ties.

http://www.ryot.org/still-wearing-ties/452153

timosman
07-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Fashion faux pas - the tip of a tie is supposed to terminate at the belt line. Donald's is plunging way below. Notwithstanding the nascent push back against the entire concept of wearing ties.

Wrong glass, sir!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzzE6XLbC8M

erowe1
07-22-2015, 05:32 PM

Why?

ClydeCoulter
07-22-2015, 06:25 PM
Rand needs to stay in the top 10 in polls. Right now, that's all that needs to be done in the media sphere. (other than not making stupid statements on policy and treaties)