PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul traveling to Haiti to perform pro bono eye surgeries

jct74
07-20-2015, 02:32 PM
the story is about Ron and Carol but this snippet deserves its own thread

In just a few weeks, Paul—along with most of the rest of the GOP field—will appear at their first debate in Cleveland. Shortly thereafter, Paul—along with a massive contingent of doctors and media—will travel to Haiti to perform pro bono surgeries on people with eye conditions like cataracts. Paul, in addition to being a U.S. Senator now, has for the last several decades been an ophthalmologist in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and this will mark his second trip to an impoverished nation to perform pro bono surgeries as a doctor since his election to the U.S. Senate. Last August, Paul traveled to Salama, Guatemala, to perform such surgeries on hundreds of patients there.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/20/exclusive-rands-parents-ron-and-carol-paul-senators-filibuster-of-nsa-was-fantastic-helped-wake-up-american-people/

phill4paul
07-20-2015, 03:42 PM
He would get much more mileage if he performed them here in the U.S. The is no small amount of individuals that cannot afford it. Not condemning him for doing a great thing. Just sayin'.

Crashland
07-20-2015, 03:47 PM
He would get much more mileage if he performed them here in the U.S. The is no small amount of individuals that cannot afford it. Not condemning him for doing a great thing. Just sayin'.

He also does them in Kentucky.

phill4paul
07-20-2015, 04:01 PM
He also does them in Kentucky.

I pretty much figured he did as it is part of the process to remained current and licensed. However, I was told there is a "Doctors Across Borders" type organization that does a lot of work in rural Appalachia and is always swamped.

FreedomProsperityPeace
07-20-2015, 04:08 PM
This is nice as another deposit in the "I'm not a racist" account. But it's not going to amount to much in the scheme of things. I'm beginning to worry about the amount of time Rand's not spending in early states. :(

phill4paul
07-20-2015, 04:16 PM
This is nice as another deposit in the "I'm not a racist" account. But it's not going to amount to much in the scheme of things. I'm beginning to worry about the amount of time Rand's not spending in early states. :(

I believe he has to perform so many in a year to keep his license. A junket like this would cover that in a short time period instead of spreading it out over time. Just a musing. I have no idea what he needs to do to keep his license.

Crashland
07-20-2015, 04:17 PM
I pretty much figured he did as it is part of the process to remained current and licensed. However, I was told there is a "Doctors Across Borders" type organization that does a lot of work in rural Appalachia and is always swamped.

That's true. Then again though, I'm sure many evangelical Christians can relate with overseas "mission trips" where the resources would actually be far better spent either domestically or donated to an organization that is more efficient than amateurs.

FreedomProsperityPeace
07-20-2015, 04:19 PM
As a senator and a presidential candidate, his medical license should be way down on his list of priorities right now.

phill4paul
07-20-2015, 04:28 PM
As a senator and a presidential candidate, his medical license should be way down on his list of priorities right now.

He seems to be handling both nicely. Unlike OTHER politicians he may be planning on getting out at some time and going back to the private sector. And that is fine by me.

65fastback2+2
07-20-2015, 07:12 PM
At 9.9 million people, Haiti is the most populous full member-state of the Caribbean Community (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Community) (CARICOM). The country is also a member of the Latin Union (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Union). In 2012, Haiti announced its intention to seek associate membership status in the African Union (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Union).

if you ask me...its a wonderful spot to do work...its a good mix of immigrants...good way to appeal to certain groups of voters

philipped
07-20-2015, 07:47 PM
I wanted to offer to be an interpreter for the campaign (seeing that I'm Haitian) but they never even replied to me about him even coming to my county.

timosman
07-20-2015, 07:50 PM
I believe he has to perform so many in a year to keep his license. A junket like this would cover that in a short time period instead of spreading it out over time. Just a musing. I have no idea what he needs to do to keep his license.

Didn't he license himself ?

timosman
07-20-2015, 07:52 PM
if you ask me...its a wonderful spot to do work...its a good mix of immigrants...good way to appeal to certain groups of voters

and meet with the global elite ...

Krugminator2
07-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Didn't he license himself ?

No.

timosman
07-20-2015, 08:17 PM
No.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/02/02/rand-paul-started-his-own-medical-certif

Krugminator2
07-20-2015, 08:19 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2015/02/02/rand-paul-started-his-own-medical-certif

Certification is done through a private organization and is not required by law.

A license is granted through the state and is required by law.

specsaregood
07-20-2015, 08:21 PM

I recall reading that he has been doing them in ky one weekend every month ever since he fought the senate committee into giving him permission to do so. That's an effing lot.

As to why he would do them internationally: When he did them in Guatemala he discussed how almost all the patients there were worse off than the worst here in the states, due to living conditions. And he also got to work with some the most renown people in the field with experience and knowledge you can't pick up just by attending lectures at conferences. So id argue that the international work is just as much professional development for himself.

timosman
07-20-2015, 08:42 PM
I recall reading that he has been doing them in ky one weekend every month ever since he fought the senate committee into giving him permission to do so. That's an effing lot.

As to why he would do them internationally: When he did them in Guatemala he discussed how almost all the patients there were worse off than the worst here in the states, due to living conditions. And he also got to work with some the most renown people in the field with experience and knowledge you can't pick up just by attending lectures at conferences. So id argue that the international work is just as much professional development for himself.

It is nice to know he sets his priorities straight.

RonPaulMall
07-20-2015, 09:44 PM
if you ask me...its a wonderful spot to do work...its a good mix of immigrants...good way to appeal to certain groups of voters[/FONT][/COLOR]

You mean voters that would never participate in a Republican Primary? I'd say Rand has done more than enough appealing to those groups. The only thing most Republican voters think of when they hear the word "Haiti" is that it is a place they wish the US would take far fewer immigrants from (this sentiment is especially true in Florida, that bears the brunt of Haitian immigration).

fr33
07-20-2015, 10:30 PM
This is the type of thing that could help him after he's nominated but it won't help him with winning the Republican primary. Most Republican voters either don't give shit about furiners or actually hate them for not being muricans.

timosman
07-20-2015, 10:39 PM
Is there a way to sign up for this trip ?

r3volution 3.0
07-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.

Good for Rand to help those God-forsaken people.

...aside from any political considerations (which it also doesn't hurt).

Ronin Truth
07-21-2015, 05:50 AM
Not enough need and demand for pro bono eye surgeries here, eh? :confused:

Though I guess that it probably will make for some pretty good campaign photo and video ops.

specsaregood
07-21-2015, 07:05 AM
This is the type of thing that could help him after he's nominated but it won't help him with winning the Republican primary. Most Republican voters either don't give shit about furiners or actually hate them for not being muricans.

Well, I for one don't think he us doing this for political reasons. I think he us doing it because he actually likes restoring peoples vision. One of the many reasons he has my vote.

alucard13mm
07-21-2015, 09:46 AM
He should be doing this in iowa and new hampshire... or maybe some black or hispanic cities in usa.

But whatever, its fine that he does this not for political gains. Very admirable

cindy25
07-21-2015, 09:53 AM
He should be doing this in iowa and new hampshire... or maybe some black or hispanic cities in usa.

But whatever, its fine that he does this not for political gains. Very admirable

he can't do it in USA because of malpractice insurance requirements. it might be admirable but he should be visiting diners in IA or NH.