PDA

View Full Version : Obama Admin to grab guns from 4.2 mil using Social Security

tod evans
07-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Obama looks to ban Social Security recipients from owning guns

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/19/obama-looks-to-ban-social-security-recipients-from-owning-guns/

The Obama administration wants to keep people collecting Social Security benefits from owning guns if it is determined they are unable to manage their own affairs, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The push, which could potentially affect millions whose monthly disability payments are handled by others, is intended to bring the Social Security Administration in line with laws that prevent gun sales to felons, drug addicts, immigrants in the United States illegally, and others, according to the paper.

The language of federal gun laws restricts ownership to people who are unable to manage their own affairs due to "marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease” – which could potentially affect a large group within Social Security, the LA Times reported.

If Social Security, which has never taken part in the background check system, uses the same standard as the Department of Veterans Affairs – which is the idea floated – then millions of beneficiaries could be affected, with about 4.2 million adults receiving monthly benefits that are managed by “representative payees.”

The latest move is part of the efforts by President Obama to strengthen gun control following the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in 2012.

Critics are blasting the plan, saying that expanding the list of people who cannot own guns based on financial competence is wrongheaded.

The ban, they argue, would keep guns out of the hands of some dangerous people, but would also include people who simply have a bad memory or have a hard time balancing a checkbook.

The background check for gun ownership started in 1993 by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, named after White House Press Secretary James Brady, who was partially paralyzed after being shot in the 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.

Gun stores are required to run the names of potential buyers through a computerized system before every sale.

Origanalist
07-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Obama looks to ban Social Security recipients from owning guns

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/19/obama-looks-to-ban-social-security-recipients-from-owning-guns/

The Obama administration wants to keep people collecting Social Security benefits from owning guns if it is determined they are unable to manage their own affairs, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The push, which could potentially affect millions whose monthly disability payments are handled by others, is intended to bring the Social Security Administration in line with laws that prevent gun sales to felons, drug addicts, immigrants in the United States illegally, and others, according to the paper.

The language of federal gun laws restricts ownership to people who are unable to manage their own affairs due to "marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease” – which could potentially affect a large group within Social Security, the LA Times reported.

If Social Security, which has never taken part in the background check system, uses the same standard as the Department of Veterans Affairs – which is the idea floated – then millions of beneficiaries could be affected, with about 4.2 million adults receiving monthly benefits that are managed by “representative payees.”

The latest move is part of the efforts by President Obama to strengthen gun control following the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in 2012.

Critics are blasting the plan, saying that expanding the list of people who cannot own guns based on financial competence is wrongheaded.

The ban, they argue, would keep guns out of the hands of some dangerous people, but would also include people who simply have a bad memory or have a hard time balancing a checkbook.

The background check for gun ownership started in 1993 by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, named after White House Press Secretary James Brady, who was partially paralyzed after being shot in the 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.

Gun stores are required to run the names of potential buyers through a computerized system before every sale.

I have been reading about this. Another "keep us safe" measure by government guaranteed to be abused.

Ronin Truth
07-19-2015, 05:34 PM
Yep, us armed geezers are HUGE criminal gun use threats. Just check the national crime stats.:eek:

:rolleyes:

mrsat_98
07-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Yep, us armed geezers are HUGE criminal gun use threats. Just check the national crime stats.:eek:

:rolleyes:

He is only taking them from old farts, its for their children .

Sola_Fide
07-19-2015, 06:47 PM
http://www.wallsave.com/wallpapers/1600x1003/people-with-guns/113459/people-with-guns-old-man-113459.2.jpg

Origanalist
07-19-2015, 06:50 PM
http://www.wallsave.com/wallpapers/1600x1003/people-with-guns/113459/people-with-guns-old-man-113459.2.jpg

Not if Obama has his way.

Ronin Truth
07-19-2015, 07:42 PM
Hidden secret Bill of Rights sub clause: Amendment 2 does not apply to folks over 65. :rolleyes:

donnay
07-19-2015, 07:51 PM
See how the lie of SS being a voluntary thing turned into a control measure?

People were told it would never be used as identification either. They keep on telling us lies and people keep on trusting them. SMDH.

euphemia
07-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Whole lot of veterans in that group.

oyarde
07-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Does Social Security have SWAT teams like every other govt agency , dept of ed. etc ?

fisharmor
07-19-2015, 09:32 PM
Whole lot of veterans in that group.

And most of them are still totally comfortable with what they did.
A lot of them went overseas and burned down people's homes and shot their breadwinners, just because the US Government told them to.

I don't see that lot rising up over this.

Danke
07-19-2015, 09:43 PM
Hidden secret Bill of Rights sub clause: Amendment 2 does not apply to folks over 65. :rolleyes:

Being part of the "militia" was until the age of 45 I think. (Just using liberal logic).

Occam's Banana
07-19-2015, 10:12 PM
The language of federal gun laws restricts ownership to people who are unable to manage their own affairs due to "marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease” [...]

A club "restricts" membership to people who are he-man woman-haters. What kind of people are in that club?

If your job is to competently inform people about things like "the language of federal gun laws," then it would behoove you to be able to use "the language of English" competently ...

oyarde
07-19-2015, 10:40 PM
Being part of the "militia" was until the age of 45 I think. (Just using liberal logic).

I think the current state Constitution where I am says everyone over 17.

Danke
07-19-2015, 10:41 PM
I think the current state Constitution where I am says everyone over 17.

Even Injuns?

oyarde
07-19-2015, 11:41 PM
Even Injuns?

I think it only exempts objectors .

oyarde
07-19-2015, 11:57 PM
Even Injuns?

I doubt they know there are any left , most were asked to leave prior to the 1840's ,probably half never did. We came here from further East after the Revolution. It was swampy here then and it was deemed undesirable by settlers.The other tribes that were still here were happy to have us .Then , the Great Earthquake drained much of the waters to the South .Are you familiar with the Great Earthquake ? Then , the land became more desirable.

Intoxiklown
07-20-2015, 10:41 AM
This is why I hope people (who are financially able) try to have more weapons than needed. I am most proud of the fact (which a lot of people have seen me say numerous times here) that I have enough "combat designed" weapons to arm an entire platoon with rifles and sidearms.

Before someone wants to rep me for the above though, I can't take credit for that mindset. It was a few years ago. and a member here was showing his AR collection, and stated his goal was to be able to arm friends and family should the need arise. He then went onto explain that contrary to popular belief, you didn't need these huge numbers to be effective in that possibility, just company size. I thought about it, and realized how right he is. Which is why I try to rep him every chance I get...lol.

jllundqu
07-20-2015, 03:41 PM
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150718/social-security-administration-to-strip-millions-of-americans-of-their-right-to-keep-and-bear-arms

As the L.A. Times reported on July 18, the Social Security Administration (SSA) is currently developing a program to strip the Second Amendment Rights of over four million Americans currently receiving SSA benefits through a “representative payee.” Not only would this amount to the largest gun grab in American history, but according to the published report, would take place without any due process protections for recipients, amounting to a nullification of Second Amendment rights for millions of Americans who don’t pose a threat to themselves or anyone else.

This new program appears to have been instigated by the SSA in response to a memorandum issued by Obama in January of 2013 which directed all federal agency executives to “improve the availability of records to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).” This memorandum required all agency heads to submit to the Department of Justice (DOJ) a plan for “sharing all relevant Federal records” for submission to the NICS.

Evidently, Obama’s SSA bureaucrats read “all relevant Federal records” to mean all Social Security recipients who have a “representative payee” assigned to their accounts to help them manage their payments and receipts. Obviously, many individuals swept up in this egregious case of bureaucratic over-reach would not otherwise be prohibited from owning, possessing, or acquiring firearms under federal law.

The federal prohibitions against acquiring or possessing firearms apply to those “adjudicated as a mental defective,” among others. The term “adjudication,” however, refers to a determination made after a judicial-type process that includes various due process protections. In no case does the federal law describe or contemplate the type of prohibition by bureaucratic fiat exercised by the SSA in developing its guidelines for those with “representative payees” assigned to their accounts.

Here they come!

Ronin Truth
07-20-2015, 04:40 PM
Not quite yet there, Bucko. Oklahama says I'm still OK for both concealed and/or open carry.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-20-2015, 04:55 PM
"Oh just register your guns, what's the worst that could happen?"

Ronin Truth
07-20-2015, 05:12 PM

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: undocumented.

"IF the government cannot trust the people with guns, can the people trust the government?"

"Governments prefer unarmed peasants."

"Politicians love disarmed peasants."

//

Zippyjuan
07-21-2015, 12:23 PM
Obama was supposedly going to take everybody's guns the minute he took office. Thousands went on buying sprees to stock up while they still could. Still waiting for him to take them all away after six years.

JK/SEA
07-21-2015, 12:39 PM
take my guns at 65?....

fuck that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

morfeeis
07-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Obama was supposedly going to take everybody's guns the minute he took office. Thousands went on buying sprees to stock up while they still could. Still waiting for him to take them all away after six years.

He has tried almost every year he has been in office, he's inept.

Zippyjuan
07-21-2015, 05:47 PM
I thought he was the Almighty and All Powerful Obama who can do whatever he wants despite whatever the Constitution says. Now he is just inept and can't do anything?

(of course if he is inept on this subject it would still not be something to worry about).

Examples of gun seizures?

oyarde
07-22-2015, 12:26 AM

Thanks , I will pass .

Danke
07-22-2015, 12:35 AM
I thought he was the Almighty and All Powerful Obama who can do whatever he wants despite whatever the Constitution says. Now he is just inept and can't do anything?

(of course if he is inept on this subject it would still not be something to worry about).

Examples of gun seizures?

You love Obama, we get it already.

Zippyjuan
07-22-2015, 12:44 AM
Yes. I want to have babies with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdJm3DVg3EM

Danke
07-22-2015, 12:50 AM
Yes. I want to have babies with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdJm3DVg3EM

Pretty bad deflection.

Anti Federalist
07-22-2015, 01:25 AM

You sound as if you think this is a bad thing...

Nevertheless, how does what may or may not have been done in the past by the Obama administration, change the fact that millions of people will, apparently, be put on "no gun" lists, simply by bureaucratic fiat?

Lucille
09-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Via email:

Is Your Congressman Opposing Obama’s Latest Gun Ban?

ACTION: Click here (http://cqrcengage.com/gunowners/app/onestep-write-a-letter?12&engagementId=132552) right now to contact your Representative and to urge him or her to co-sponsor and vote for H.R. 3516.

Millions of seniors could lose their guns, jeopardizing the ability of kids and grandchildren to inherit them

For the past few weeks, GOA has been telling you about Obama’s cruelest gun grab yet.

He’s snatching guns from combat-wounded veterans -- and planning the same for the elderly -- using private personal records from Social Security and Veterans Administration to target anyone who has someone else handling their checkbook.

These people aren’t criminals. They’re not even dangerous. They’re just having someone else handle their bills.

They are seniors and combat wounded veterans. It could be your mother or father. It could even be you.

Well, one member of Congress is doing something about it.

Congressman Sam Johnson, himself a combat-wounded veteran of both Vietnam and Korea and a seven-year Vietnam POW, has introduced H.R. 3516, the Social Security Beneficiary Second Amendment Rights Protection Act.

This bill would stop Obama from putting people on the national gun ban list simply because Social Security or the VA has someone else listed as handling their finances.

“Because he failed to push his gun control agenda through Congress, his administration is now seeking to deny millions of law-abiding Americans their right to bear arms by going through Social Security,” says Congressman Johnson.

“Old age or a disability does not make someone a threat to society.”

“These folks should be able to defend themselves just like everyone else, and Social Security has no business stripping them of that right,” Johnson said. “This bill puts a stop to yet another overreach by the Obama administration.”

It’s time to put an end to this cruel gun ban.

ACTION: Click here right now to contact your Representative and to urge him or her to co-sponsor and vote for H.R. 3516.

oyarde
09-24-2015, 09:30 AM
The current communist administration would take any opportunity to disarm any citizen it may .

Zippyjuan
09-24-2015, 12:11 PM
They have had lots of opportunities. All those "false flags" which were supposed to be excuses to do it. How many weapons have they seized from private citizens?

acptulsa
09-24-2015, 12:21 PM
They have had lots of opportunities. All those "false flags" which were supposed to be excuses to do it. How many weapons have they seized from private citizens?

A great many. And here they are trying for more.

What, did you expect them to go door to door in a systematic way, accompanied by the media? No, of course not. They seize them when they're serving a warrant on someone who was rumored to have been in the house recently, or on houses with addresses similar to those on their warrants, or on anyone they pull over on the way to the target range, or on any other target of opportunity. And these laws are all about increasing the targets of opportunity to include every single house, every car, every person.

And the Constitution be damned.

kcchiefs6465
09-24-2015, 12:28 PM
So states haven't legislated the sorts of firearms citizens are able to purchase? So Obama hasn't taken every chance to demonize gun owners and flirt with firearm restricting legislation? "How many guns have they seized?" Is this a serious question? Did Adam Kokesh ever get his firearm collection back?