PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul in the newspaper... In Sweden!

Stefan
12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
There is an article in Aftonbladet (the most widely read newspaper in Sweden, and probably all scandinavia) today about Ron Paul!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=42926&highlight=swedish

Because I suspect that there may be some people on this forum that does not yet fully understand the Swedish language, I made a translation of it. Enjoy!

http://gfx.aftonbladet.se/multimedia/dynamic/00485/ronpaul_485322a.jpg
72 year old presidential candidate Ron Paul strikes fear into his opponents by using the internet in his campaign

He is the online master of the election

Outsider Ron Paul worries the established candidates.
BOSTON Ron Paul is the contender that makes the established candidates nervous.
The reason: The 72 year old is a master of fundraising – on the internet.
– We understood that the internet would prove important, he says.

The republican from Texas trails far behind in all imaginable polls.
In Iowa - where the first primaries will be held in early January - names such as Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney,
John McCain and of course Rudy Guiliani are far ahead.
Yet, there is talking about Ron Paul.

4 millions in one day
The reason is that he raises a surprizingly large amount of money by donations. Paul hoped for 12 millions by
the end of the last quarter, but now it seems like that number will land somewhere around 15 millions.
– It is fantastic, Paul says to AP.
The crew of the 72 year old have been very lucky on the internet; in one day in November more than four
million dollars were donated online.
– We understood that the internet would prove important, he says.

Slimlined organization
Paul has also recieved help from volounteers, private people who have created different chip in-campaigns
online. Because of this Paul doesn't have to hire more than 70 people for his crew (Rudy Guiliani has 244
employees in his campaign crew)

– In order to reach succes, the new must be mixed with the old. If you only have a cyber campaign it would
not translate into neither votes nor money, it would all be imaginary and we would be nothing but a videogame,
Paul's campaign leader Lew Moore says to the New York Times.

Now the campaign in on the air
Paul has started to spend money on ads and TV commercials in Iowa and New Hampshire - and he hopes to
see results soon.
– People over there have just started thinking about who they should vote voring the upcoming primaries,
he says.

It would take a lot for Paul to seriously threat the favourites among the republicans. ut the other presidential
candidates now fear that Paul will snatch their votes away from them. This might prove decisive in the early
primaries.

tonyr1988
12-05-2007, 04:59 PM
By far, I've got more Swede in me than anything else (my great grandfather directly immigrated here from Malmo). I'd love to visit the country sometime, and this is even cooler! I wish our papers said that he "strikes fear into his opponents." :D

ReallyNow
12-05-2007, 05:03 PM
This is very cool and brings up something that I forgot about. I saw a video on the International Tea Party in France on youtube and it was absolutely amazing seeing all of these people in different countries actually rooting for Ron Paul and the American people. It really made me misty eyed and proud again to be from this country. I think a lot of us have forgotten just how admired America was for so long and it's good to get a bit of that feeling back from the world.

tsetsefly
12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
oh snap! ill go by see if anyone has yesterdays paper!

tsetsefly
12-05-2007, 05:13 PM
btw, here is a stockholm based sweden ron paul meet up: http://ronpaul.meetup.com/1384/?gj=sj2

Spirit of '76
12-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Awesome!

Do you think perhaps that the poll you posted here made them take notice of him?

Stefan
12-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Awesome!

Do you think perhaps that the poll you posted here made them take notice of him?

I think you mean this one: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=42926&highlight=stefan

I'd say it probably did. Well done everybody!

Spirit of '76
12-05-2007, 06:39 PM
That's the one. I see we hit almost 4%.

Too bad so many are hoping for Clinton or Obama... :(

But at least Aftonbladet took notice of us! Thanks, Stefan. :)

Stefan
12-06-2007, 04:47 AM
That's the one. I see we hit almost 4%.

Too bad so many are hoping for Clinton or Obama... :(

But at least Aftonbladet took notice of us! Thanks, Stefan. :)

Yup, Ron Paul ended up as the no 1 republican candidate; He's got more support than Romney, Thomson, Huckabee and McCain added toghether. He's only got around a third of the support Al Gore enjoys, though.

I can't say that I am surprized that the Democrats score so high. Swedes are in general strongly pro-choice, pro extensive government spending even if it means having the highest tax rate in the world (before the last election in 2006 the prime minister promised that if elected he would raise taxes in order to increase government spending), pro immigration, anti-war and highly secularized. So I think a lot of Swedes have a hard time understanding why people would vote for a republican.

Stefan
12-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I wish our papers said that he "strikes fear into his opponents." :D

I was actually surprized that they would write that. In Swedish it says that he "satte skräck i" which is a very strong way of writing it. The Swedish word "skräck" usually represents a very deep feeling of fear. When I look up the word "skräck" in the dictionary of the Swedish Academy I find this:

loosly translated:

Skräck: ; Both regarding more permanent. deep anguish. l. despair, fear, Also regarding more temporary, . sudden dismay (trepidation); also., about more . intense feeling of unease.

Spirit of '76
12-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Ha! that's awesome.

We've got 'em on the run! :D

qednick
12-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks for posting this Stefan! I've been to Sweden twice and I love the country and the people. :)

Arklatex
12-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Our best press comes from foreign countries. :D I think the last good write up came from Iceland.

johngr
12-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Utmärkt! Hoppas att han blir så erkännt här som han förtjäner.

johngr
12-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Our best press comes from foreign countries. :D I think the last good write up came from Iceland.

Do you have a link?

johngr
12-06-2007, 11:30 AM
btw, here is a stockholm based sweden ron paul meet up: http://ronpaul.meetup.com/1384/?gj=sj2

Anything in Gothenburg (Göteborg)?

johngr
12-06-2007, 11:36 AM
I was actually surprized that they would write that. In Swedish it says that he "satte skräck i" which is a very strong way of writing it. The Swedish word "skräck" usually represents a very deep feeling of fear. When I look up the word "skräck" in the dictionary of the Swedish Academy I find this:

loosly translated:

Kanske "oroar dem" skulle ha varit bättre.

granny miller
12-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks Stefan!!