PDA

View Full Version : Cop Block sued for $1.35M by kop

tod evans
07-14-2015, 02:31 PM
$1.3M Traffic Stop? Virginia state trooper sues blogger over online claims

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/13/13m-traffic-stop-va-state-trooper-sues-blogger-over-online-claims/

A self-styled police watchdog who got a $75 ticket from a Virginia state trooper in 2012 is now facing a $1.3 million lawsuit -- after he posted the encounter on the Internet and accused the cop of molesting him.

On May 26, 2012, Memorial Day weekend, Nathan Cox of Mechanicsville, Va., was driving in the southbound lane of Interstate 295 just after 3 p.m. when Officer Melanie McKenney of the Virginia State Police pulled him over for failing to display his front license plate.

The events that transpired next -- including Cox's posting of the ordeal to his blog "Virginia Cop Block" -- would result in a $1.35 million lawsuit against him.

The traffic stop was contentious from the beginning. McKenney immediately ordered Cox, who has a concealed weapons permit, from his vehicle, while Cox began recording the incident on his cellphone.

"It took him almost a mile before his vehicle pulled over and, of course, we're always looking for things that may be unusual because you never know what you're going to get during a traffic stop," McKenney told FoxNews.com Monday.

"I'm approaching, looking in the windows, and he's got his back slightly towards me and he's holding an object," she said. "For my safety, I felt he needed to step out of the vehicle."

The object was Cox's cellphone, which he was using to legally record the incident. After stepping from the vehicle, McKenney ordered Cox, a 33-year-old Iraq War veteran, to put the device down on the car instead of holding it over her head out of fear it could be used as a weapon.

McKenney insists she wanted the phone placed on the back of Cox's car so that it could not be used as a blunt force object to strike her -- not to stop it from recording.

"There are reports of cellphones looking like guns," said McKenney, a 12-year veteran of the Virginia State Police. "I had no problem with him recording me. I was already being recorded with the dash cam."

"He wasn’t compliant when he got out of the vehicle," she said.

Cox, who was promptly frisked by McKenney, also had an expired inspection sticker. In the end, Cox received two tickets from McKenney: one for the inspection failure, which was later dismissed after he appeared in court, and another for $75 for his failure to display his front license plate.

The ordeal did not sit well with Cox, who said he believes his constitutional rights were violated.

Through the Freedom of Information Act, he later obtained the 28-minute dash cam video as well as radio transmissions and text messages sent between McKenney and her colleagues and posted it all to his blog. While sitting inside her police cruiser after the confrontation, McKenney can be heard in one radio transmission telling another officer, "I don't want myself on any Youtube or whatever," when the colleague informs her about Cox's blog. She can also be heard defending her orders to have Cox step outside his vehicle.

"It took him a long time to pull over so I just wanted him to get out of the car," she tells a colleague. "I don't want to search his car -- I don't want anything like that but I don't -- if he's got a gun ..."

The YouTube video of the confrontation has been viewed more than 600,000 times to date.

Cox and his blog are known to law enforcement in the area -- and the McKenney case is not the first time Cox has been embroiled in a legal dispute over his First Amendment rights.

Cox was awarded $10,000 in April 2012 from the state of Virginia for an alleged illegal traffic stop. As Cox explains it, he was driving in Richmond a year earlier when he saw a Virginia Commonwealth University police officer engaged with another vehicle on the side of the road. Cox pulled out his megaphone -- which he said he uses at police demonstrations -- and blasted, "'Stop harassing people, we pay your paychecks.'" The officer then got into his vehicle with the sirens on and pulled Cox over -- an incident he also recorded on his cellphone and later posted to his blog.

Cox was charged with disorderly conduct, but a judge later dismissed the charge. He then hired well-known constitutional rights attorney Thomas H. Roberts, who filed a civil lawsuit against the police department. The case was settled outside of court and Cox was issued a check by the state.

McKenney first filed her lawsuit in May 2013 in small claims court for $5,000. She then re-filed in March 2014 in circuit court for $1.35 million -- an amount set by her attorney, D. Hayden Fisher.

Cox, a libertarian who said he once wanted to be a police officer, founded in 2010 what he calls a "police accountability group."

"Badges don't grant extra rights," he said, telling FoxNews.com that his group's cause is to "hold police accountable, require transparency and educate people on their rights."

"We are a reactive and a proactive organization in the sense that if somebody gets roughed up by the police, we'll organize demonstrations and bail money if need be," he said.

In the McKenney case, Cox said his arms were raised over his head because "within seconds of me getting out of the car, she tried to grab the cellphone out of my hand. I told her I had a personal right to record her."

Roberts, who is representing Cox again, said his client's actions are protected under the First Amendment and claims the lawsuit is problematic because a number of the claims are barred by the statute of limitations.

"The blog is protected by the First Amendment to protest and to complain about the government," said Roberts.

"Truth is an absolute defense against defamation," he added, referring to the video and text messages obtained by Cox.

But McKenney's lawyer said it is alleged false statements made by Cox on his blog that constitute defamation -- such as a the accusation that McKenney "molested" him during the traffic stop.

"You can look at the dash cam video and see that she did not assault him or molest him," Fisher told FoxNews.com. "If anything, she could have arrested him for causing problems."

Cox defended his molestation statement -- which was said in a homemade video he posted to his blog. He told FoxNews.com he felt he was molested, but "not sexually."

"She first tried to grab my phone and in doing so made unwanted contact with me. Then she did a quick pat-down. Then she tried grabbing my phone some more," he said.

McKenney said she was simply doing her job.

"We never know what we're encountering," she said. "It would be different if I was a rogue officer trampling on his rights; but this is not me."

"I am a professional person. I care about the community, I care about my reputation and I try to treat everyone with respect," she said.

phill4paul
07-14-2015, 02:35 PM
10-to-1 the P.B.A. is funding this lawsuit.

Lindsey
07-14-2015, 02:41 PM
My friend has jury duty next week, I'd love to give him a "good people nullify bad laws" shirt to wear for the occasion. Anyone know where I can get the shirt Cox is wearing in that pic? maybe a short-sleeve version though.

phill4paul
07-14-2015, 02:49 PM
My friend has jury duty next week, I'd love to give him a "good people nullify bad laws" shirt to wear for the occasion. Anyone know where I can get the shirt Cox is wearing in that pic? maybe a short-sleeve version though.

He won't be picked if he is wearing it. If he is already been selected then the judge may have issues. Fair warning. If you are for nullification keep it on the low down if you actually want to attempt it.

KCIndy
07-14-2015, 02:51 PM

I appreciate your enthusiasm... but...

I would urge you to reconsider, unless your friend actually wants to be kicked from the jury pool right at the start. If your friend is liberty friendly, it's better to let him get on a jury if he actually wants to help someone.

Lindsey
07-14-2015, 03:37 PM
I have done jury duty before; my experience was posted on RPF. I know the shirt severely reduces the likelihood of him getting picked. However, what it does do is potentially open the door for him to have a conversation with the other potential jurors that are there that day..

ETA: here's my jury duty story: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?408997-Irish-Town-Legalizes-Drinking-and-Driving&p=4943862#post4943862

presence
07-14-2015, 03:45 PM
"I am a professional person. I care about the community, I care about my reputation and I try to treat everyone with respect," she said.

Then keep your hands the fuck off of people and their shit without a warrant or probable cause.

KCIndy
07-14-2015, 03:54 PM
From the Virginia Cop Block web site:
http://virginiacopblock.org/civil-lawsuit-update-coxs-attorneys-respond-to-1-35m-lawsuit/

Nathan Cox is seeking donations for his Legal Defense Fund to help pay the cost of his attorneys. Consider making a donation and helping Cox protect hist First Amendment rights and perhaps, although it’s not clear, this case could help set a precedent in protecting YOUR first amendment rights in the process. Click on the image below to make a donation. Cox has stated he’ll be sending personalized hand-written thank you cards, to everyone who donates.

I can't directly link it here for some reason, but there's a PayPal "donate" link at the bottom of the story:

http://virginiacopblock.org/civil-lawsuit-update-coxs-attorneys-respond-to-1-35m-lawsuit/

KCIndy
07-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Confirmation Number: 6A292387EB720240S
Placed on Jul 14, 2015

Freedom Works Foundation

Reference: FW-Cox Defamation Defense

Total Amount: $20.00 USD

In for twenty. I know this stuff is expensive... wish I could send more right now. :(

KingNothing
07-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Police officer seems like a very difficult job, but mostly because of this:

"Cox, who was promptly frisked by McKenney, also had an expired inspection sticker. In the end, Cox received two tickets from McKenney: one for the inspection failure, which was later dismissed after he appeared in court, and another for $75 for his failure to display his front license plate."

Our laws are freaking endless. We have way, way, way too many nonsense reasons for law enforcement officers to interact with otherwise peaceful people.

Cops should be catching bad guys, not checking to see that everyone has the appropriate stamp of state-approval.

KCIndy
07-14-2015, 04:16 PM
Police officer seems like a very difficult job, but mostly because of this:

"Cox, who was promptly frisked by McKenney, also had an expired inspection sticker. In the end, Cox received two tickets from McKenney: one for the inspection failure, which was later dismissed after he appeared in court, and another for $75 for his failure to display his front license plate."

Our laws are freaking endless. We have way, way, way too many nonsense reasons for law enforcement officers to interact with otherwise peaceful people.

Cops should be catching bad guys, not checking to see that everyone has the appropriate stamp of state-approval.

I agree there are too many stupid and meaningless laws, but that's not an excuse for a cop to be an asshole. Keep in mind that the police have full discretion in situations such as these, right up to and including not even bothering to pull the person over.

This guy was *targeted* by the cops because they knew he was someone who had the temerity to stand up for himself. Cops hate that.

morfeeis
07-14-2015, 06:09 PM
In for twenty. I know this stuff is expensive... wish I could send more right now. :(

Confirmation number: 4GA42108BJ6659640

I'm hurting for funds right now but i matched your donation as this is a worthy cause....

morfeeis
07-14-2015, 06:18 PM
McKenney insists she wanted the phone placed on the back of Cox's car so that it could not be used as a blunt force object to strike her -- not to stop it from recording.

"There are reports of cellphones looking like guns," said McKenney, a 12-year veteran of the Virginia State Police. "I had no problem with him recording me. I was already being recorded with the dash cam."

I'd also love to see who is funding her suit, i smell a pigpen. Hell her simple ass can't even keep her story straight on why she was in fear of the phone, did she think it was a gun or a dangerous blunt force weapon? also why in the hell would a cell phone looking like a gun cause you any extra fear? now a gun looking like a cell phone on the other hand is a cause for concern. wait so is she saying he had a gun look-a-like cell phone case? This twit.....

KCIndy
07-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Confirmation number: 4GA42108BJ6659640

I'm hurting for funds right now but i matched your donation as this is a worthy cause....

+Rep and many, many thanks!

It's this sort of occasion that reminds me of the quote from Ben Franklin, "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

KCIndy
07-14-2015, 06:35 PM
I'd also love to see who is funding her suit, i smell a pigpen. Hell her simple ass can't even keep her story straight on why she was in fear of the phone, did she think it was a gun or a dangerous blunt force weapon? also why in the hell would a cell phone looking like a gun cause you any extra fear? now a gun looking like a cell phone on the other hand is a cause for concern. wait so is she saying he had a gun look-a-like cell phone case? This twit.....

Yep... IMHO it all boils down to a cop getting pissed because someone wasn't worshipful enough.

http://i1.wp.com/virginiacopblock.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Virginia-trooper-300x243.jpg?resize=300%2C243

“I asked him to get out of the car and he puts a camera in my face”
“I don’t want myself on any type of YouTube or whatever.”
(Quotes pulled from Dashboard Camera Audio)

KCIndy
07-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Wow - LOTS of hate from the pro-cop side, even on the CopBlock website! :eek::eek:

Some samples:

you need to get a life! would have been a quick stop if you weren't a punk, you were the one causing the issues

Lying about the mental health of a trooper saying she is crazy that she committed a criminal act of molesting you, in my opinion you will be paying this trooper for the rest of you life.

This is what you get for being a lying sack of shit and claiming this woman "molested" you. How does it feel to have the accountability shoe on your own foot, scumbag?

Dude,
You're an asshole.
You questioned why there were "20 cops in this last mile". I don't see how that is any of your business. Whether it's right or wrong, it's not you business.

kcchiefs6465
07-14-2015, 09:00 PM
Dude,
You're an asshole.
You questioned why there were "20 cops in this last mile". I don't see how that is any of your business. Whether it's right or wrong, it's not you business.
Lol.

Not like he pays for the shit, or anything.

TheTexan
07-14-2015, 09:06 PM

Wow, I'm glad she's ok. In the past there have also been reports of pens, cordless power drills, wallets, wii controllers, etc, looking like guns... it's a dangerous world out there.

TheTexan
07-14-2015, 09:08 PM

In fact, she was probably happy he was recording her, as it would provide a back-up in case the dash cam for whatever reason wasn't working (happens alot)

KCIndy
07-15-2015, 07:33 AM
bump for the day crowd

fisharmor
07-15-2015, 07:44 AM
Cops should be catching bad guys,

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh............ ...........................

Dude, you've been here 4 years and you still think this is what cops do?

not checking to see that everyone has the appropriate stamp of state-approval.
This is the job.
It has always been the job.
It has never not been the job.
There is no point in time, past, present, or future, no matter how long the timeline, when "police" did not, does not, or will not mean exactly this.

I'm really not sure how to make it any more clear.
This is what they do.
The only thing I would add is "and also they get to decide what the state stamp of approval means, and they get to beat up or kill anyone they see as not having this totally arbitrary approval".

roho76
07-15-2015, 09:27 AM

That would be a quick way of getting kicked off the jury. Judges don't like activist jurors.

RJB
07-15-2015, 09:45 AM
http://i1.wp.com/virginiacopblock.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Virginia-trooper-300x243.jpg?resize=300%2C243

I thought she looked familiar.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/82/ec/9d/82ec9da0e22bcb839366269276561e8c.jpg

ronpaulhawaii
07-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Good to see the donations here. I sent in a hunski as soon as it was publicized. Nathan is an old friend...

KCIndy
07-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Good to see the donations here. I sent in a hunski as soon as it was publicized. Nathan is an old friend...

+Rep and many thanks!! :)

Anyone who is considering a donation, please do. Even five or ten bucks can make a big difference. Remember, the defense in this case is going to be very expensive for those involved. All the State has to do to secure funding is steal some more money from everyone by way of taxes and fines.

Anti Federalist
07-15-2015, 08:13 PM

I'll do the same.

Amazing isn't it?

A mundane can get sued personally for being impolite to a cop.

A cop can kill us, our family or our pets and will face zero personal accountability.

Freedom.

KCIndy
07-18-2015, 12:31 AM
//

Occam's Banana
07-18-2015, 01:30 AM
fisharmor already addressed this, but here's my 0.02 FRN ...

Cops should be catching bad guys [...]

That is NOT their job ...

[...] not checking to see that everyone has the appropriate stamp of state-approval.

... THAT is their job. That is what they do. That is why they exist.

The purpose of police is to monitor and enforce compliance with the State's rules, regulations and edicts. That is all. Nothing else. The courts (up to and including the Supreme Court) have openly acknowleged this. They have repeatedly ruled that police are under NO obligation whatsoever to protect or preserve the lives or property of anyone - nor do they have ANY positive duty to neutralize threats to the lives or property of anyone. For just one illustration of this, see the following:

FTA (emphasis added, footnotes elided): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maksim_Gelman_stabbing_spree

In the spring of 2012, Joseph Lozito, who was brutally stabbed and "grievously wounded, deeply slashed around the head and neck", sued police for negligence in failing to render assistance to Lozito as he was being attacked by [Maksim] Gelman. Lozito told reporters that he decided to file the lawsuit after learning from "a grand-jury member" that NYPD officer Terrance Howell testified that he hid from Gelman before and while Lozito was being attacked because Howell thought Gelman had a gun. In response to the suit, attorneys for the City of New York argued that police had no duty to protect Lozito or any other person from Gelman. On July 25, 2013, Judge Margaret Chan dismissed Lozito's suit; stating [that while she was] sympathetic to the [sic] Lozito's account and [did not doubt] his testimony, [she] agreed that police had "no special duty" to protect Lozito.

While the police may indeed sometimes apprehend malum in se offenders (a.k.a. "bad guys"), this is entirely incidental to their actual purpose, which is to identify (and cite or incarcerate) malum prohibitum offenders - i.e., those who do not have "the appropriate stamp of state approval" (and of whom malum in se offenders are merely an ancillary subset).

Origanalist
07-18-2015, 01:44 AM
Wow - LOTS of hate from the pro-cop side, even on the CopBlock website! :eek::eek:

Some samples:

Are you really shocked?

LibForestPaul
07-18-2015, 06:40 AM
... THAT is their job. That is what they do. That is why they exist.

The purpose of police is to monitor and enforce compliance with the State's rules, regulations and edicts.

Almost. You need to dig deeper.

The rules and regulation, laws and edicts mean nothing...
5-4, how many 5-4 rulings does the Supreme Court issue.
How many judges rulings get overturned by a higher court.

It is to obey, without question, whatever the state instructs at whatever moment in time. That is the state seal of approval. Obedience. The chain of obedience is being check for weak links.

HankRicther12
07-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Oh yeah, this is just wonderful, let's all cheer.

Let's see, this cop block clown sued for $10K, hmmm, who's pocket did that come out of? Who's paying for all this bullshit every time these fools go around and make an incident where there wasn't one?

Yaknow what's pathetic about this - there are crooked cops out there taking bribes and all that good stuff, but where are these brave "cop block" guys then? Why aren't they in the inner city filming when a cop takes bribe money or roughs up the competition of an organized crime outfit? Or how about trailing all these crooked politicians when they make deals with bankers and other businesses? How about filming things that go on at the SPLC? Nope that might be dangerous and that might actually be doing something productive.

What a joke.

kcchiefs6465
07-18-2015, 12:33 PM

Let's see, this cop block clown sued for $10K, hmmm, who's pocket did that come out of? Who's paying for all this bullshit every time these fools go around and make an incident where there wasn't one?

Yaknow what's pathetic about this - there are crooked cops out there taking bribes and all that good stuff, but where are these brave "cop block" guys then? Why aren't they in the inner city filming when a cop takes bribe money or roughs up the competition of an organized crime outfit? Or how about trailing all these crooked politicians when they make deals with bankers and other businesses? How about filming things that go on at the SPLC? Nope that might be dangerous and that might actually be doing something productive.

What a joke.
Better question: Where are the 'good' cops?

You know, the people ostensibly paid to combat corruption and bribery (paid by the "cop block guys", I'd add).

tod evans
07-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Better question: Where are the 'good' cops?

You know, the people ostensibly paid to combat corruption and bribery (paid by the "cop block guys", I'd add).

Logic doesn't sit well with the copsucking crowd........

kcchiefs6465
07-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Logic doesn't sit well with the copsucking crowd........
Yeah.

I didn't even mention that Cop Block is telling the police to go catch actual criminals. Instead the police would rather harass them. Who are the real cowards?

KCIndy
07-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Are you really shocked?

Shocked? No... but I'll certainly confess to being sickened. :(

I really believe some of these people could have one of their own family members dragged out of a car and beaten to a pulp by a cop and *STILL* find a reason to cheer and pat the cop on the back for the "tough love."

Some sort of mass manifestation of the Stockholm Syndrome, perhaps?

heavenlyboy34
07-18-2015, 11:37 PM

This is the job.
There is no point in time, past, present, or future, no matter how long the timeline, when "police" did not, does not, or will not mean exactly this.

This is what they do.
The only thing I would add is "and also they get to decide what the state stamp of approval means, and they get to beat up or kill anyone they see as not having this totally arbitrary approval".
I seem to recall AF posting several SCOTUS and other court decisions declaring that cops have no obligation to actually protect anyone. "Protect and serve" is just a propaganda slogan.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-18-2015, 11:45 PM
I was going to nab a speeder going down a hill today, but then I got cop blocked. :mad:

kcchiefs6465
07-19-2015, 12:11 AM
I was going to nab a speeder going down a hill today, but then I got cop blocked. :mad:
See.

Effective.

I'm going to submit this testimony to be their motto... or at least featured.

(mad face and all)

kcchiefs6465
07-19-2015, 12:14 AM

What a joke.

......... Matter o' fact.

Origanalist
07-19-2015, 05:42 AM
Shocked? No... but I'll certainly confess to being sickened. :(

I really believe some of these people could have one of their own family members dragged out of a car and beaten to a pulp by a cop and *STILL* find a reason to cheer and pat the cop on the back for the "tough love."

Some sort of mass manifestation of the Stockholm Syndrome, perhaps?

That's as good of a definition as any, I don't know what to call it. If it didn't affect my liberty directly I would just find it another curious thing about human behavior.

PaulConventionWV
07-19-2015, 06:20 AM

This is the job.

This is what they do.

He did not say that's what cops do. He said it's what they should do. Your rant could have been made a lot shorter if you had first bothered to check the meaning of that sentence.

Sola_Fide
07-19-2015, 06:26 AM
Wow, I'm glad she's ok. In the past there have also been reports of pens, cordless power drills, wallets, wii controllers, etc, looking like guns... it's a dangerous world out there.

She's lucky she didn't have to shoot him and go on a month paid vacation.

moostraks
07-19-2015, 06:30 AM

What a joke.

Yeah? So, not bowing and scraping to the police is the non-dangerous choice? You must live under a rock. Nope...you have a vested interest in changing the narrative on this to the preferred dialogue by police apologists.

KCIndy
07-19-2015, 02:53 PM
That's as good of a definition as any, I don't know what to call it. If it didn't affect my liberty directly I would just find it another curious thing about human behavior.

And as we know, that's exactly the crux of the problem... :(

HankRicther12
07-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Yeah? So, not bowing and scraping to the police is the non-dangerous choice? You must live under a rock. Nope...you have a vested interest in changing the narrative on this to the preferred dialogue by police apologists.

...and on come the straw men. Show where I ever said any of that dip shit. You guys are a joke.

kcchiefs6465
07-19-2015, 06:04 PM
...and on come the straw men. Show where I ever said any of that dip shit. You guys are a joke.
Care to offer some reasoning as to why you feel it is the job of Cop Block to go undercover (or however you imagine them coming up with the information) to combat corruption and bribery?

If, say, the police weren't feeling antagonized by Cop Block protesters, and in turn spending an inordinate amount of time harassing them, etc. might they have more time of their own (you know, paid time) to do the detective work themselves? Or are most police not cut to be detectives; their misspellings and poor grammar being a driving factor (as their reports would be torn to shreds by any competent defense attorney)?

Furthermore, would it then be safe to assume that most police are in fact counterproductive drains on society, offering no solution to actual crime, whatsoever, who instead harass, extort, and rob the citizenry as a means to pay their often exorbitant salaries?

You offer some absurd government fellating diatribe about how come the Cop Block guys aren't doing more with regards to this or that, ignoring the bleeding obvious that they are not paid to do as much, that they pay for other people to do as much, and that they have been very vocal with regards to expressing displeasure at the people they pay to do as much, not doing as much, but instead spending their days preying on the poor and downtrodden.

Make sense?