PDA

View Full Version : GOP Strategists Advise Jeb Not To Engage Trump in Debates

AuH20
07-13-2015, 09:42 AM
This is going to be must see TV. The biggest threat to Bush is Trump since he reminds the electorate in a very candid way why Bush is a horrible representative of the GOP. We could also see Rand taking up the other flank on Bush.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/247588-gop-strategists-to-jeb-treat-trump-with-kid-gloves

Strategists say Bush is smart not to exchange haymakers with Trump, who has a reputation for escalating fights and not backing down.

“The best way is for Bush to continue to put Trump in his place by saying his comments are only intended to generate headlines, they’re not based in real facts,” said Ron Bonjean, a GOP strategist and former congressional GOP leadership aide.

“What Bush is obviously trying to do is not get into a food fight with Donald Trump but at the same time push back. It’s a careful line to tread. You don’t want to create a sideshow spectacle by taking Trump’s bait,” he added.

While Bush has appeared presidential by responding calmly to Trump’s barbs, he has expressed some irritation at the media whirlwind they generate.

Bush said in a Fox News interview Wednesday he was not interested in getting into a rhetorical battle with the billionaire candidate.

"I'm done. I'm through. I gave my views. I just think that we need to be much more hopeful and optimistic about our ideology," he said.

"We should focus on that and not get into a food fight that only brings energy to someone who I doubt will be president and is not a constructive force for our party," he added.

GOP strategists say Bush will continue to benefit from Trump as long as he doesn’t get dragged too far off message in responding to his digs.

Trump isn’t letting up, having panned Bush’s support for Common Core education standards as “pathetic” and his approach to immigration reform “baby stuff,” during a recent Fox News interview.

“The question is whether Bush can keep the car between the two white lines, because chances are Trump’s comments are going to get more incendiary,” O’Connell said.

AuH20
07-13-2015, 09:58 AM
More on the escalating feud........

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/12/politics/donald-trump-jeb-bush-heckler/

Described by friends as intensely competitive, Trump has a deep aversion to the idea of a dynasty candidate who might feel entitled to the party's nomination. Privately and publicly, Trump is known to refer to Bush as "a stiff," believing that the country badly needs a candidate who can energize the base and that Bush simply "is not a cheerleader," one person in Trump's inner circle said.

"For some reason they didn't hit it off. Their styles are totally different," one Trump friend said.

Trump's animosity towards Bush in 2015 may come as a surprise to those who remember that years ago, the two men seemed to enjoy a friendlier relationship.

In the late 1990s, the real estate mogul fundraised for Bush's gubernatorial campaign in Florida. And in his 2000 book, Trump referred to Bush as a "good man," describing him as "bright, tough, and principled," Buzzfeed reported.

Trump's campaign manager Corey Lewandowski downplayed questions about how Trump's past support for Bush squares with his recent criticism.

"Trump gives money to everybody, right? All politicians — and I'll give you his exact quote — 'kiss his ass,'" Lewandowski told CNN. "So it's not a big surprise that Mr. Trump has donated to politicians for the last 30 years because politicians are easy."

He's gone after the way Bush handled questions about the Iraq War — which Trump describes as one of the biggest blunders of George W. Bush's presidency.

"It took him five days to answer the question on Iraq. He couldn't answer the question," the real estate developer boomed at his campaign launch. "I said, 'Is he intelligent?'"

Mr.NoSmile
07-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Well, if GOP higher-ups are scrambling to defend Bush, here's hoping that Trump keeps firing away at him.

Ronin Truth
07-13-2015, 10:51 AM
Yeah, Trump would kick Jeb's butt, and then take his lunch money and stuff him in a locker. ;) :D

Brian4Liberty
07-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Bush's neoconservative advisers are not stupid. They have no qualms at all about lying during a campaign, taking polar opposite positions from what they really want to do. They will advise Jeb to not confront Trump, but instead steal his popular positions. Before this is over, Jeb will be talking tough about illegal immigration and border security.

Ronin Truth
07-13-2015, 11:30 AM
Bush's neoconservative advisers are not stupid. They have no qualms at all about lying during a campaign, taking polar opposite positions from what they really want to do. They will advise Jeb to not confront Trump, but instead steal his popular positions. Before this is over, Jeb will be talking tough about illegal immigration and border security.

Truly a family totally run on politics (and secret societies). :p

kahless
07-13-2015, 12:59 PM

So true that it made me nauseous reading that since I know it will repeat again this cycle and the idiots will fall for it like they do every 4 years.

Ronin Truth
07-13-2015, 01:25 PM
So true that it made me nauseous reading that since I know it will repeat again this cycle and the idiots will fall for it like they do every 4 years.

Most of the sheeple get the shepherds that most of the sheeple deserve.

Jan2017
07-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Good . . . let Trump pummel Jeb! on stage in front of millions followed by the Bush response . . .
- play dumb.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/jebdumb01b_zpse75zbidq.jpg (http://s372.photobucket.com/user/sunblush/media/jebdumb01b_zpse75zbidq.jpg.html)