PDA

View Full Version : A man created a font that tells you if the NSA might think you're a terrorist

twomp
07-12-2015, 02:12 PM
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/MLUhSZIA1Qimh3saoSGpMg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://globalfinance.zenfs.com/en_us/Finance/US_AFTP_SILICONALLEY_H_LIVE/A_man_created_a_font-973429c754b746fccf777225f1d020a2

What you type tells a story about who you are. At least that's what governments think. So much so that antiterrorist organizations like the NSA and the UK's GCHQ have developed lists of words that they believe a terrorist is likely to type.

If you type the flagged words and the government sees it, well, you may have been added to some list.

Now there's a tool that shows just how often some of these suspicious words pop up in everyday conversations. It comes in the form of a font.

Created by a Slovenian artist, Project Seen is a typeface that automatically flags all the trigger words used by international law-enforcement agencies

These trigger words were revealed back in 2013 as words that cause enforcement agencies to deem someone a potential terrorist. The list is currently growing and, in fact, may top 40,000 words.

Emil Kozole is the artist behind this project. He made Project Seen as part of his master's in communication design at Central Saint Martins University in London. Kozole explained that he wanted to make a masters project that somehow highlighted the fraught state of security in modern times.

"The biggest news of the summer was Snowden’s documents, where he exposed previously unknown practices of the NSA and British GCHQ," Kozole told me over Skype chat.

Read the rest here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/man-created-font-tells-nsa-153922939.html

TheTexan
07-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Government is good. I like government. I vote a lot. Hillary Clinton is awesome.

USA USA USA USA USA

Beer pizza hot wings!

FOOTBALL!!!!

phill4paul
07-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Government is good. I like government. I vote a lot. Hillary Clinton is awesome.

USA USA USA USA USA

Beer pizza hot wings!

FOOTBALL!!!!

I'm worn out from all that exceptionalism!

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-12-2015, 06:34 PM
i didn't know a typeface could react to an entire word

thoughtomator
07-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Given the length of the list, almost every American is on it, rendering the list utterly useless as anything but an intimidation tool.

RonPaulIsGreat
07-12-2015, 06:58 PM
White men are evil.
Men Suck!
Republicans are stupid.
Ron Paul is a crazy kook.
Man love is hot.
Caitlyn Jenner is an inspiration.
We live in a Rape Culture.

That should get me recruited to spy for .gov.

timosman
07-12-2015, 07:07 PM
i didn't know a typeface could react to an entire word

Apparently it can, but have no details on how it actually works. The content of the package is

Project_Seen.rtf: Rich Text Format data, version 1, ANSI
Seen-Blackout.otf: OpenType font data
Seen-Strikethrough.otf: OpenType font data
Seen-Underlined.otf: OpenType font data

TheTexan
07-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Apparently it can, but have no details on how it actually works. The content of the package is

Project_Seen.rtf: Rich Text Format data, version 1, ANSI
Seen-Blackout.otf: OpenType font data
Seen-Strikethrough.otf: OpenType font data
Seen-Underlined.otf: OpenType font data

It's called a typographic ligature

timosman
07-12-2015, 07:15 PM
It's called a typographic ligature

I never seen ligature used for binding more than 2 characters. What a novel use of this old feature ;-)

wizardwatson
07-25-2015, 03:36 AM
White men are evil.
Men Suck!
Republicans are stupid.
Ron Paul is a crazy kook.
Man love is hot.
Caitlyn Jenner is an inspiration.
We live in a Rape Culture.

That should get me recruited to spy for .gov.

You are by far my favorite poster. :rolleyes:

How did we miss each other all these years?